Hyperemesis Gravidarum Support Tribe (Also extreme nausea/vomiting) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 630 Old 08-20-2008, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there are many mamas out there who have suffered from this and some who are suffering from it now.

I've had it through 3 pregnancies.

Anyone else out there interested in having a tribe for HG?

ETA: This thread is also helpful. The OP suffered from HG, as well.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#2 of 630 Old 08-20-2008, 12:36 PM

I will definitely join.

Survived hyperemesis twice.....
#3 of 630 Old 08-20-2008, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Survived but barely, right?

I just don't think I can handle another pregnancy. I tell ppl, "It's like you're allergic to pregnancy." They laugh, but they have no idea...

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#4 of 630 Old 08-20-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post

I just don't think I can handle another pregnancy. I tell ppl, "It's like you're allergic to pregnancy." They laugh, but they have no idea...
That is the way I feel! W/ my girls I was soooo very sick. #1 I lost 17lbs (And I was pretty skinny too so I looked very bad adn sickly), #2 I only lost 13lbs and w/ #3 I lost 35lbs. Being pg again scares the crap out of me! Yes, people who have never had to deal w/ Hyperemesis have no clue how bad it truly can be.
#5 of 630 Old 08-20-2008, 03:15 PM

Joining though I've never been officially diagnosed as such. Am due in Oct with my second, and at 34 weeks am still puking my ring up just about every day. Thankfully, with this pregnancy, I've had less non-stop nausea....just a lot more puking (the nausea is short, but intense and ends in vomitting). I'm also "luckY" with this one that there ar edays that I can eat with no problem.

With my first I was hideously nauseated every day/all night for 26 weeks straight, and then it eased.

I took me three years to be brave enough to be pregnant again...and I am counting the weeks down until I can wake up in the morning not worried I'll puke.

It is so debilitating...I'm so tired all the time...and I want to murder anyoen that says to me "but doesn't mornign sickness stop after the first trimester?" and looks at me like I'm making it up.

Sigh.
#6 of 630 Old 08-20-2008, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Cas, I got the same crap during my last pregnancy. I was so disheartened. Ppl just do not grasp the severity of it.

#7 of 630 Old 08-20-2008, 03:37 PM

Things definitely eased up for me around 14 weeks, but I just puked last week so yeah...

I take 25 mg of Phenergan each night before bed and that seems to help at this point.

I had a PICC line for about a month and a half during first tri and I lost 22 lbs. This week I finally went over my pre-pregnancy weight by 2 lbs.

I know there are plenty of women who have had it way worse than me, but already I cannot even imagine going through this again.

DH keeps telling me that it will be worth it and that I shouldn't make up my mind about more kids until after this one is here. I already know I want to adopt our second child though.
#8 of 630 Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 PM

Hi, I survived HG twice and won't be doing it again. I never had to have a PICC line or extended hospital stays, but I seriously considered terminating because of it It is even documented in the OB's report on my medical files--I feel pretty bad about that. I got a lot of help from the HER forums but can't even click on the site now because of the feelings it brings back.

My HG hit on the flight back from Japan--I hope I will be able to ride a plane in November without hyperventilating or vomiting even though I am 8 weeks PP now (I still have some zofran left so I will be taking that just in case). Everytime I open the closet the smell of our suitcases makes me ill, and every so often I will get a whiff of the smell of our trip to Japan and feel transported back. Is this PTSD? How long before it gets better? People just don't understand how awful it was to lose 20 pounds in your first tri and be unable to stop vomiting no matter what you do. My poor toddler was on her own for 3 months! Looking forward to hearing from other people who are PP.
#9 of 630 Old 08-20-2008, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

PBandJ, I can't go back to HER right now, either. It's too much for me.

I'd say that sounds like PTSD. You should probably see a therapist for it, but who knows if you'd find one that understands hg.

A friend of mine (also an mdc'er) had hg through her pregnancies, as well, and she had the BEST midwives helping her through it. They were SO understanding and compassionate and HELPFUL!

#10 of 630 Old 08-21-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casemnor View Post

I took me three years to be brave enough to be pregnant again...
This is where I'm at now. I was certain that I wanted at least two children before I experienced HG. Now I wonder how I could possibly mother my son while puking my guts out for months on end. No way would closely spaced kids work for us. How do you moms with multiple-HG pregnancies work up the courage to go through it again? Anyone else compiling strategies to survive their next pregnancy? Maybe I'm in denial, but I'm researching things like herbal therapy that I can do before and during pregnancy to help, and I know I won't wait so long before I get IVs and zofran if I need it again.
#11 of 630 Old 08-21-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well, my older 2 are 18 mos apart by surprise. The space between middle and baby is 6 yrs -- I hoped I wouldn't be sick again.

#12 of 630 Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

bump

#13 of 630 Old 08-25-2008, 12:47 AM

Lost 40 lbs pg with pg 1, lost 2? or so with the other two. The tiredness is what got me this last time. I missed my dd being 4 yrs old. I get tired of all the herbal or dietary advice at this point. I am an avid reader and researcher. I have tried it all at this point. People really don't get it, unless they are around to watch you puke. Even then I don't think they can comprehend what 9 months of vomiting does to a person. I still can't stand Braggs Liquid Aminos.
One friend wasn't sympathetic after she found out that I knew I would be like this and chose to get pg again, another said well you wanted to be pregnant to which I retorted, Just cause you choose to drive doesn't mean your asking for a car wreck.
I like this tribe

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#14 of 630 Old 08-25-2008, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by magentamomma View Post
One friend wasn't sympathetic after she found out that I knew I would be like this and chose to get pg again, another said well you wanted to be pregnant to which I retorted, Just cause you choose to drive doesn't mean your asking for a car wreck.
I like this tribe
GREAT comeback! I'm going to remember that one.

I lost about 20 lbs with each pregnancy. Certainly not a huge amount of weight compared to some, but VERY noticeable on me.

#15 of 630 Old 08-25-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I get tired of all the herbal or dietary advice at this point. I am an avid reader and researcher. I have tried it all at this point. People really don't get it, unless they are around to watch you puke. Even then I don't think they can comprehend what 9 months of vomiting does to a person.

There is this lady at my church who's always telling me that I just need to snack on crackers all day and always keep something in my stomach.

Ugh!
#16 of 630 Old 08-25-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post

There is this lady at my church who's always telling me that I just need to snack on crackers all day and always keep something in my stomach.

Ugh!
I hate that. The HER forums have a forum all about these types of responses. They call it "crackering" because everyone tells you to eat crackers.

#17 of 630 Old 08-25-2008, 06:53 PM

I was trying to figure out how much money I've spent treating my HG. This is my third time having it and it's not as bad as it was last time. I'm counting my blessings having only needed one trip to the ER for two bags of IV fluids!

Zofran - $42
Phenergan - $19
Reglan - $4
Antacids - $8
Red Raspberry Leaf caps - $8
Nux Vomica - $7
Homeopathic Morning Sickness Remedy - $15
Sea Bands - $6
Ginger gum - $4
Electrolyte solution - $12
Trace Minerals - $3
Liquid Prenatals - $20
Book "No More Morning Sickness" - $2

and that doesn't even include the countless amound of FOOD I've had to try to help ease my nausea and vomiting. I can't wait to be able to eat again. So far I'm still down 12lbs at 15wks.
#18 of 630 Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 PM

what are the HER forums??

homebirthing,,homeschooling intactalactivist mom to 3dd jumpers.gifand 2dsbouncy.gif.babyf.gifAlways busy
#19 of 630 Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 PM - Thread Starter

http://forums.helpher.org/

#20 of 630 Old 08-25-2008, 11:57 PM

I'll join in. I've had two HG pregnancies, the second was worse than the first (but still not as bad as some people. . .doesn't make it any better for me though).

Quote:

That's funny, because my second child was born in Thailand, and the Thai slang for morning sickness is that you're allergic to being pregnant.
#21 of 630 Old 08-26-2008, 10:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaofprincesses View Post
I'll join in. I've had two HG pregnancies, the second was worse than the first (but still not as bad as some people. . .doesn't make it any better for me though).
I get that. With my first I was puking constantly, 2nd was puke and nausea, 3rd was mostly nausea. Although the puking I did do was so violent it caused bleeding in my esophagus twice. (Don't puke milk!)

Quote:
That's funny, because my second child was born in Thailand, and the Thai slang for morning sickness is that you're allergic to being pregnant.
Oh that is funny!

#22 of 630 Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 AM

I find that I have a lot of feelings regarding....regular pregnancies. I mean I miss feeling all *glowing*....I didn't enjoy being pregnant and I feel like I was cheated out of something great. I felt like I was dying. Does anyone else feel this way?
#23 of 630 Old 08-28-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoS View Post
I find that I have a lot of feelings regarding....regular pregnancies. I mean I miss feeling all *glowing*....I didn't enjoy being pregnant and I feel like I was cheated out of something great. I felt like I was dying. Does anyone else feel this way?
oh god yes. I had these feelings all the time. just felt like i was wasting away into that toilet bowl... although I was lucky and had the hg go away in my 2nd trimester. but then I got gestational diabetes and it was hell on until birth. I do feel so lucky I got a healthy baby out of all that--grown on phenergan, unisom, and zofran but she seems ok so far.
#24 of 630 Old 08-28-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Lost 40 lbs pg with pg 1, lost 2? or so with the other two. The tiredness is what got me this last time. I missed my dd being 4 yrs old. I get tired of all the herbal or dietary advice at this point. I am an avid reader and researcher. I have tried it all at this point. People really don't get it, unless they are around to watch you puke. Even then I don't think they can comprehend what 9 months of vomiting does to a person. I still can't stand Braggs Liquid Aminos.
I like this tribe
I HATE HATE when people say things like this! I had a few people tell me that it was all in my head! WTF? Yes, I lovedI puking my guts up, spending time in the hospital, looking and feeling like I was dying and missing 9mths of my kids lives! But I'm making it up!?
I am really scared to puke again. It is one of the highest fears on my "list".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post

Ugh!
I actually yelled at a friend who told me this! Don't people think that if the darn crackers helped we would eat them 24/7? I tired so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomtoXane View Post
I was trying to figure out how much money I've spent treating my HG. This is my third time having it and it's not as bad as it was last time. I'm counting my blessings having only needed one trip to the ER for two bags of IV fluids!

Zofran - $42
Phenergan - $19
Reglan - $4
Antacids - $8
Red Raspberry Leaf caps - $8
Nux Vomica - $7
Homeopathic Morning Sickness Remedy - $15
Sea Bands - $6
Ginger gum - $4
Electrolyte solution - $12
Trace Minerals - $3
Liquid Prenatals - $20
Book "No More Morning Sickness" - $2

and that doesn't even include the countless amound of FOOD I've had to try to help ease my nausea and vomiting. I can't wait to be able to eat again. So far I'm still down 12lbs at 15wks.
I didn't spend money on my meds b/c we are military but we spent so much money on every "cure" out there to try to help me.
I was so excited about an hr after I gave birth this last time I looked at DH & DD1 (who was in the room w/ us) and sd "I'm STARVING!" They both started crying b/c they were so happy I was hungry! It was the 1st time since I'd gotten pg.

Quote:
I really do feel cheated. I NEVER felt that "glowing" feeling on the puking one. I didn't enjoy being pregnant either. I puked too much!

I'm so glad to have someone who understands how hard being pg really was on me and my family. Its not morning sickness that goes away after you get up to eat. Its w/ you all day and night. People just don't understand.
#25 of 630 Old 08-28-2008, 11:34 AM

I look forward to that first meal after labor sooooo much, because I know it will stay down. I willed ds out so that he would be born in time for me to get Thai food.
What gets me now is that I have said that if I get pg again I will at least look into anti nausea drugs, and I have gotten comments from people against that too! I have gone 3 pregnancies w/o any help for my HG and I just don't think I can do it again.

#26 of 630 Old 08-28-2008, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Definitely. And even though the baby is almost 10 mos now, I still get sorta of jealous of other pregnant women who have such beautiful pregnancies.

#27 of 630 Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I look forward to that first meal after labor sooooo much, because I know it will stay down. I willed ds out so that he would be born in time for me to get Thai food.
What gets me now is that I have said that if I get pg again I will at least look into anti nausea drugs, and I have gotten comments from people against that too! I have gone 3 pregnancies w/o any help for my HG and I just don't think I can do it again.
I only got meds when I went to the ER so I had to use them sparingly. I only took the phenergan on my very worst days and since we couldn't afford zofran, I never got that.

Because we have no health insurance and can't afford meds out of pocket, we can't have any more kids. And honestly, that's ok with me.

#28 of 630 Old 08-28-2008, 01:01 PM

I have had it twice.

I am ttc right now, and really nervous. I was treated for h. pylori, which I've read can be one of the causes, so I am hoping I don't have it as bad this time.

Diclectin is the only thing that kept me out of the hospital.

HG is so hard and isolating.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#29 of 630 Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
I get that. With my first I was puking constantly, 2nd was puke and nausea, 3rd was mostly nausea. Although the puking I did do was so violent it caused bleeding in my esophagus twice. (Don't puke milk)
This sounds like me. My first I puked my guts out for months, lost weight ect but it did get way better after 5-6 mths. It was my only pregnancy that it went away for the most part. I also got excessive saliva (can't remember the medical term). My second pregnacy , horrid nausea a good deal of puking, I puked if I sneezed, coughed , cleared my throat (good times, NOT). Then I stopped puking 5ish mth but the nausea never went away, yuck. Was hospitilized with bad dehydration in my 34th week. Then my last pregnacy really hard core debilitating nausea but not as much puking but when I did it was so forceful it broke blood vessels around my eyes. The nausea got somewhat better after 5-6 mths but stayed the whole time and again I had excessive saliva for the first 5-6 mths (so bad I had to spit in a cup, yuck). I also had to eat every 2hrs or I was even more nauseas, I did not lose weight but gained a lot because of that. I also have had strong food adversions with all 3 pregnancies.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#30 of 630 Old 08-28-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
II have gone 3 pregnancies w/o any help for my HG and I just don't think I can do it again.

Me too and I'm certain I can't do it again.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page