Enzymes and pregnancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2008, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 5 weeks pregnant and have a yeast infection. I do not want to do medician for obvious reasons as well as they generally don't work for me anyway. I took an Enzyme solution a while back and it worked great for me...but then I went on a sugar frenzy and with the pregnancy my body reacted as so! I order the probiotic from a PhD/CNN in the US who was recommended by my chiropractic physician. This Dr. said it is just fine to take during pregnancy, but she is not an OB/midwife. Of what I've read about Enzymes and probiotics, it appears to just work on the digestion in the stomach...so seems safe to me...of course on the back of the bottle as with everything, it says "Do not take if pregnant or nursing unless under Physician care." I don't have a midwife/Ob yet to consult this with. Ugh...sometimes it's so frustrating. Do you know anything about these ingredients or Enzymes and pregnancy in general? Thanks for taking a look.

Enzyme Solutions Formula 17 classic it is a pHBS pH Blancing System

Directions: Take 2 level teaspoons between meals, 2 times daily and separatly from other enzyme formulas or as directed until 2 containers are empty.

Lactobacillus acidophilus 100mg

Lactobacillus casei rhamnosus 100mg

Lactobacillus plantarum (from sorghum Molasses) 100mg

Bifidobacterium longum 20mg

Lactobacillus salivarius (from Sorghum Molasses) 20mg

Proprietary Plant Enzyme blend:
(Cellulase (from Aspergillus niger), Glucoamylase (from Rhizopus nitveus), Alpha-Amylase (from Aspergillus oryzae), Hemicellulase (from Aspergillus niger), and Alpha-Galactosidase (from Aspergillus niger) 1141.1 mg

Other ingredients: beet Fiber
Contains Milk and Soy

Contains NO added fillers, lubricants, what, corn, sugar, yeast, gluten, starch, salt, additeves, or preservatives.

Note: Do not use if you are pregnant or nursing except on the advice of a health care practioner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 PM

I can't tell you for sure that your particular product is safe in pregnancy, but I can tell you that I take enzymes and probiotics every day for health maintenance, and haven't stopped taking them while preg.

Probiotics are definitely safe. As for enzymes, it might depend on the amount and the type. A product with high cellulases can cause yeast die-off (which is probably what this product is designed to do) and yeast die-off basically releases toxins from the dead yeast into your bloodstream, which you might want to think about as some people believe that any type of detox during pregnancy or bf is not a good idea.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:21 PM

Enzymes are completely safe while pregnant. The PP had a great point in that the enzymes could cause die off. Start very slowly, like 1/2 cap a day and work up from there. You can also use Kyolic liquid safely to fight odd yeast.

We create our own reality.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your insight! I recieved the reassurance I needed to continue taking these Enzymes. An expert on this website emailed me saying it was just fine to take as they are all natural things allready in the body and actually beneficial. As did a local holistic gynocologist. I am so relieved and grateful another mom sent me to this website! I'm sure I'll be on her often! THanks again Ladies!

User Tag List