Ritalin and Pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-21-2008, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone know whether or not this drug can be taken during pregnancy? Does anyone have any experience with this?
#2 of 2 Old 08-21-2008, 05:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have had patients take other similar meds thruout pregnancy and baby was fine; however i was on adderall xr (similar but extended release instead of shorter acting like ritalin) last yr and continued to take it 2-4x/wk and my baby stopped growing and passed away at around 20 wks. he was very small for gestational age as was the placenta. i don't know if it was the med or not but i wouldn't go near it w a 10 ft pole while pg (as i am again expecting).
if you are nursing bc ritalin has a shorter acting half life you can time taking it w nursing sev hrs later when most of it is out of your system once nursing is on a more predictable schedule unlike the extended release add meds.
there are some good add sites specifically addressing women and meds during pregnancy and nursing but if i recall most of them just say there isn't a lot of data.
just my experience hth.
ok here are some references from the excellent book by sari solden "women w add": www.additudemag.com look under medical center section
www.ncgiadd.org (natl ctr for gender issues for add)
www.addconsults.com
www.sarisolden.com
www.add.org

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page