yeast infection--are we sure garlic is safe? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know garlic used as a suppository works to cure a yeast infection, but is it definitely safe during pregnancy? It says here you're not supposed to eat large amounts of garlic during pregnancy http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/gar...68EA6D537E3878

Quote:
garlic supplements or large amounts of garlic should be avoided during pregnancy due to a possible increased risk of bleeding. In addition, early animal studies suggest that garlic may cause contraction of the uterus.
Plus I'm nervous to put anything up so close to the baby.....although I guess it has to be better than OTC cream right? Any thoughts?

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#2 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 PM

I would avoid it, IIWY. Ingesting large amounts isn't a good idea. I think a vag supp of garlic would be even more potent.
#3 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 10:41 PM

??? Sitting here at 41 weeks pregnant and no signs of labor, and as someone who thinks 12 cloves is a "a good start, but don't we have more garlic?" for a recipe I'm finding it very difficult to worry about garlic causing contractions.

And a single clove as a vaginal suppository isn't going to be more potent than eating a ton of raw garlic. The effects described all relate to the chemicals in the garlic entering the blood stream. There is nothing in that article about effects on mucous membranes except possible stinging from exposure to the juice.

And of course garlic will have an effect on bleeding, the main use for oral garlic supplementation is as a blood thinner. But I'll believe that sticking it in your vagina has that result only after someone does a study on it.

Besides, if you catch the yeast symptoms soon enough, you'll only need to use a garlic clove suppository for one day. Quite a difference between that and daily supplementation.

(Ingesting large amounts of anything is a bad idea.)
#4 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 PM

I thought eating garlic in tablet form was better. To heal the thrush I have heard eating yogurt with probiotics and putting some down there helps too.
#5 of 9 Old 08-23-2008, 10:44 PM

My MWs recommended using garlic cloves vaginally for yeast during pg. It worked like a charm. I'm all for it.
#6 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 07:29 PM

[QUOTE=sapphire_chan;12020341And a single clove as a vaginal suppository isn't going to be more potent than eating a ton of raw garlic. The effects described all relate to the chemicals in the garlic entering the blood stream. There is nothing in that article about effects on mucous membranes except possible stinging from exposure to the juice.[/QUOTE]
Anything that is absorbed by mucous membranes is readily absorbed into the blood stream. (think nitroglycerin sublingual for angina)

OP, it's definitely worth asking your MW about, though!
#7 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 09:42 PM

My Italian friends would disagree with the whole garlic not being safe thing.
#8 of 9 Old 08-24-2008, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwensMa View Post
Anything that is absorbed by mucous membranes is readily absorbed into the blood stream. (think nitroglycerin sublingual for angina)
True enough, but the article mentions using garlic as a vaginal suppository for yeast and then makes no safety warnings except about large oral doses. Or rather, for topical use they only mention possible stinging effects from garlic oils.

(Incidentally, the C rating on garlic as a yeast treatment probably comes from using the standard advice to keep the clove whole. I daresay they're also looking at treating a full infection instead of just popping in a clove at the first sign of itchiness.)
#9 of 9 Old 08-25-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison Cole View Post
My MWs recommended using garlic cloves vaginally for yeast during pg. It worked like a charm. I'm all for it.
:

Also, I was encouraged to eat three cloves of raw garlic each day after week 20 to help combat the chronic yeastie that I had going on, as well as helping you test negative for GBS.

Jess ~ RN & student CNM, Blogger (see profile), wifey to T-Rav & momma to sons Buggy ~7/04 & Newt ~1/08 & Tad 6/19/09 & Con-man 1/11!  <3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page