Was your baby's gender prediction (ultrasound) wrong? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 08-25-2008, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone have the ultrasound say one sex and you delivered the other?

My ultrasound tech said she was 90% certain I'm having a girl. So naturally I'm thinking about pink and cute sundresses.

.....and keeping receipts.

Taryn-31 Crunchy Conservative Catholic SAHM with DH-32
DS 7.5, DD 5 (vbac), DD 2.5 (vbac), and DD 12/30/13 (vbac)

#2 of 33 Old 08-25-2008, 08:34 PM

I'm wondering the same thing! the tech said she was 98% sure it was a girl, but I googled ultrasound pictures and compared mine to the ones I found, looks about the same and makes me feel a little more sure. I do remember DS was quite obvious, so if this one isn't a girl, he sure has a small package, lol.
#3 of 33 Old 08-25-2008, 09:00 PM

not to freak you out..... but.....

i have a friend who was told with certainty that she was having a girl. right up until the end... it was confirmed by a few ultrasounds...

surprise, out popped a boy

he's 3 now and totally gorgeous!
#4 of 33 Old 08-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Rie

I am in the same boat. Nothing is for sure until the baby comes out!

My Dr was also 90% sure it is a girl. My boys were certainly boys no doubt! Did you see the 3 lines for girl in the ultrasound? I too checked out the internet to compare. My Dr also said he'd do another at a later appointment to confirm.

We'll see!
#5 of 33 Old 08-25-2008, 10:03 PM

my best friend's sister was told boy and had a girl
#6 of 33 Old 08-25-2008, 11:32 PM

My BF was certain she was having a girl, but the u/s person said it was a boy. She continued talking about "what if it's a girl anyway? Does that happen?" and we all kept trying to reassure her those things are rarely wrong and don't get your hopes up to be disappointed. "Be happy with what you have!" She was so certain she was having a girl she had them do another u/s after 30wks just to make sure and they still said boy. We were all convinced. 2 u/s can't be wrong!

Well.... she had a girl! : Everyone but her was surprised!
#7 of 33 Old 08-26-2008, 12:56 AM

I think intuition is more important than the ultrasound. I knew I was having a boy with #1 and didn't ultrasound. Everyone bought yellow and green, and out popped a boy. With this one, my intuition said girl (as did the morning sickness, which I didn't have with #1) and we had an ultrasound back up with three lines showing clearly. I feel pretty confident, but check back in November for the whole story, LOL.
#8 of 33 Old 08-26-2008, 01:12 AM

I don't know about intuition, I was so sure that DS was a girl.

This one I had no clue but everyone else kept saying girl, could be that they'll still turn out to be right but with 3 us so far showing his package I'm going with the US techs.

My friend had only one US and they said girl and he wasn't. Its more common that way than the other, but it happens both ways, its less likely to happen if you are having multiple Ultrasounds though.
#9 of 33 Old 08-26-2008, 03:13 PM

I had a co-worker who was told girl during both pregnancies... and she now has 2 boys!

Another woman I met was told girl in the middle of preg and got all girl stuff, then at 36wk u/s found out it was a boy....

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
#10 of 33 Old 08-26-2008, 05:27 PM

With u/s at 28 wks. I was told my ds2 was a girl. I thought I was having a boy the whole time but after they told me girl I bought a bunch of girl stuff.

Surprise! Had to rewash all my ds1 baby stuff cause they were wrong.

No u/s this time so we are just waiting to find out.

Wife to dh, Mommy to ds1 12/2002, ds2 9/2005, and ds3 9/2008.
#11 of 33 Old 08-26-2008, 06:24 PM

I guess I'll find out in November!

I could have sworn I was having a boy but the U/S was really clear. Now I'm wondering.

At least my nursery theme is neutral. I have a classic pooh theme with greens and ivory.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
#12 of 33 Old 08-26-2008, 11:05 PM

Ultrasound was correct for all 3 of my boys. We don't know about #4 yet.

Homeschooling Mom of 4 boys: 10/02, 6/04, 3/06, 2/09
#13 of 33 Old 08-27-2008, 12:50 PM

mt two girl ultrasounds were right. I have never personally met anyone who's ultrasound was wrong. One of the mom's in my old ddc had an ultrasound 18 some years ago and it was wrong.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#14 of 33 Old 08-27-2008, 01:28 PM

With both of mine, the scans showed girls. There was NO doubt they were girls, IFYKWIM. !00% total girl bits. (Like we say at our house...."hamburger" on the scan)
#15 of 33 Old 08-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avivaelona View Post
I don't know about intuition, I was so sure that DS was a girl.

This happened to me on my first! We didn't want to find out the sex, but I was fairly certain baby was a girl. When baby was born and announced it was a boy I said "Really!?".

With the second we saw the three lines and were fairly certain it was a girl...it ended up correct.

With this one due in Sept. we got the "I'm getting a pretty good look and I can't see any boy parts" So for a while we were thinking girl. Then about a month ago I started preparing my mind and the rest of our family that this just might be a boy. We wait to see now.
#16 of 33 Old 08-27-2008, 02:51 PM

My cousins had 3 GIRL ultrasounds, and the tech said she was "95% sure" , but they got a 10+ lb boy and a lot of pink junk they couldn't take back.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#17 of 33 Old 08-27-2008, 06:08 PM

I know a few people that recieved quite a suprise on delivery day . The most recent friend had 4 different ultrasounds as she was high risk and every technician always said girl, and she had one healthy little boy. I guess you can never be sure.
#18 of 33 Old 08-27-2008, 08:12 PM

your all making me nervous, lol. I see 2 lines pretty clearly, but not three. The tech had several very clear shots from lots of angles, so hopefully she was right, lol. My instinct has said girl for this one as well. Everything has been totally differant from my preg with ds. Who knows. We are going to be inundated with pink things though, poor thing if it is a boy, lol.
#19 of 33 Old 08-27-2008, 08:13 PM

Mine was correct, they said it was a boy, turns out they were right! I guess it's easier to see boys than girls?

Circ doesn't work! Stop the violence of circumcison. Had another UP/UC/HB in August!
#20 of 33 Old 08-28-2008, 01:27 AM

DH thought it was a boy for most of the pregnancy. (I waffled a lot! ) But we had an u/s at 21 weeks that said girl. She had her legs spread and we got a really good picture from below showing the "three lines."

This thread got me really scared that I would end up with a daughter with a penis! But I just had another u/s at 32 weeks. We asked the tech to confirm the sex. Wow! At 32 weeks a baby's genitals really are fully formed!! We could see all the details of the vulva. This is NOT A BOY!

Maybe some of the people who were told the wrong sex had an inexperienced u/s tech, or the baby wasn't being cooperative enough to get a clear shot, or maybe it was an earlier u/s. (My little girl is a shameless hussy and had no problem showing us her goods!)

Angela , wife to DH (Oct 1999), mother to DD (Oct 2008)
#21 of 33 Old 08-28-2008, 10:19 AM

lmao @ shameless hussy!

i have had gender predictions in the 2 out of the three pregnancies. in the first one i only had 1 scan and it was right when i was told a girl. didnt have one with pregnancy 2. with this pregnancy i have had 3 scans since 21 weeks and i have been told girl each time. i was shown the business end at the 21 week scan and i saw 3 lines pretty clearly.

its never 100% though, and they say that too.
#22 of 33 Old 08-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down2Earth View Post

Maybe some of the people who were told the wrong sex had an inexperienced u/s tech, or the baby wasn't being cooperative enough to get a clear shot, or maybe it was an earlier u/s. (My little girl is a shameless hussy and had no problem showing us her goods!)
I agree with this. I know ultrasounds are not 100% but I think the probability of them being wrong is pretty low nowadays, especially when people are having multiple ultrasounds and can see the genitals many times. I had the same thing with my dd, each scan I had she showed her goods and by the time I was 30+ weeks you could clearly see as one tech told me "her lips" and she was clearly not a boy.
#23 of 33 Old 08-28-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tammyswanson View Post
Mine was correct, they said it was a boy, turns out they were right! I guess it's easier to see boys than girls?
from my understanding if they see the lines it is a girl, if they look for the absence of a penis it can be wrong, and looking for boy bits can be wrong as well since it can be an umbilical cord, an arm etc.

So a good tech should look for lines to confirm girl otherwise it's just a shot in the dark. For boys I don't know what they have to do, look for no lines and some stuff. Look around to see where his arms, legs, cord are to confirm the package between the legs is indeed a package, etc.

Courtney and Cree, baby made 3, added one more then there were 4, sakes alive, then we had 5, another in the mix now we have 6!

A Momma in love with her Little Women-Jewel Face, Jo Jo Bean, June Bug, and Sweet Coraline.

#24 of 33 Old 08-28-2008, 11:01 AM

A friend of mine was told boy and they were surprised by a little girl. She has a tote full of already washed boy clothes, waiting for when they do have a boy! They didn't even have a girl name picked out.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#25 of 33 Old 08-28-2008, 05:41 PM

I had a friend who had several u/s during her pg that all said girl. She had a boy. She was shocked!

I had another friend who had 2 u/s say boy. She had another appt and had a 3 u/s. This time they said girl. The day of her baby shower! She didn't tell anyone and kept all the receipts. She was so shocked that day she drove through a red light on the way home. When the birth came it was in fact a girl.

So I have seen it go both ways. And people wonder why I don't find out the gender lol.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#26 of 33 Old 08-28-2008, 05:54 PM

I know two women who had u/s saying they were having a boy. They both had girls. One was surprised at birth, the other found out 2 weeks before her due date.

That said, I was told last pregnancy I was having a boy and I had a boy. They said this time it's a boy, but I'm not 100% convinced. I am buying boy things, though.

SAHM to Ninja Boy (6) surf.gif and Monkey Man (4) carrot.gif.

#27 of 33 Old 08-28-2008, 07:58 PM

I have had 3 u/s, 3 gender predictions and 3 babies that were what the tech predicted.

In the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you." Buddha

#28 of 33 Old 08-29-2008, 08:41 PM

My (former) OB told DH and I that she was almost certain we were having a boy when she did the US. I was only about 14 weeks at the time but she was pretty confident with her findings. Of course, DH was soooo happy, we already had boy and girl names picked out so we sgtarted calling the baby by the boy name we had picked. Well 6 weeks later we went for the 20 week US and they were 90% sure it was a girl.....but she would not open her legs and show us for sure. They actually told us to come back the next week in the evening and did another quick US for us just to try to give us a definite answer since there was conflicting info. The next one they said, no doubt its a girl, the doc even said "you can go shopping on this one' lol

Due to some complications we've had quite a few sonograms the past few weeks and every time we still ask, is it still a girl? And every time they confirm it is!

Wife to DH, Mommy to Amber 10/01/08 and Kyle 01/09/11
#29 of 33 Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 PM

My ultrasounds were accurate with both pregnancies.
#30 of 33 Old 08-30-2008, 09:21 AM

DD was definetly a girl, even to me who had no previous experience with ultrasounds.. I saw three lines (which is what everyone told me to look for).. This one is a stubborn one who has his/her legs crossed so its going to be a suprised..

It seems quite common out here (we live in Japan) among the military. I know quite a few people (I mean over 10, I don't remember exactly how many) who had suprises on their delievery day because their "girl" was a boy or "boy" was a girl. Girl being a boy seems to be the big one, according to the tech over here no penis in ultrasound means no boy when sometimes it can hide. I got some good deals on brand new girl clothing when DD was smaller because so many people had the wrong gender told to them.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page