were you sicker with girls or boys? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: were you sicker with girls or boys?
sicker with girls 28 45.90%
sicker with boys 18 29.51%
not sick atall 7 11.48%
felt horrendous with both genders 8 13.11%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2008, 02:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
with dd i had only 2 weeks of low grade nausea. this pg i felt horrendous, without actually vomiting, for 15 weeks and i still have some food aversions to white bread/pasta/rice and potato chips, and some other seemingly random foods at 31 weeks

we obviously dont know what we are expecting this time around, but i was wondering how your nausea levels were with your kids. i always heard that girls make you feel worse, but i really didn't feel that bad with dd, not compared to this one anyway (and it is definitely a singleton)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 02:21 AM

By far dd.

Dbs, I was only sick a few weeks. And only in the am.

With dd, I was sick for almost the entire pregnancy (although it improved at about 15 weeks or so) and it lasted all day.
Old 08-26-2008, 02:56 AM

You need an "other" option. Technically I could say I've been sicker with the boys but I think that's because I had our girl first. Each pregnancy has gotten harder. I'm assuming it's because I'm older, not a gender thing.

Amy, mom to LadyBug, SnuggleBug and StinkBug.  Expecting BabyBug in August 2011.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:44 AM

I didn't have any sickness with either ds or dd.

It's a Delight-Filled Life.
 computergeek2.gif 

Old 08-26-2008, 04:03 AM

def the girls!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:35 AM

Can't answer, as this is my first pregnancy, but the NY Times had a little blurb about the latest research saying that moms-to-be of girls generally have worse morning sickness than moms-to-be of boys. My mom says that was the case for her-- my two brothers weren't too bad in terms of MS, but she was sick practically the whole pregnancy with me.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 PM

I have two boys (at least I'm pretty sure I do!)... one I was sick with, the other I wasn't!

Mama to DS R (June/06), DD K (September/07), DS M (October/08), DD R (June/09)... waiting for #5 in late 2013!!

Old 08-26-2008, 01:33 PM

Felt awful every time I was pg, which was 8 times though only 3 made it, if I include this one. With DS, I was too sick to function and too sick to do anything other than lie in bed all day. However, I managed to stay out of the hospital without taking any meds. With DD, the 5th miscarriage which was a girl, and this current time, I needed lots of meds and still was too sick to function. But I was able to avoid an IV all but this time. (However, there is a chance that I had a vanishing twin based on a very questionable ultrasound possibly showing a baby with no heartbeat possibly behind one with one and the timing that I went from the max meds not working to being able to drastically reduce meds).

The stat is either that hyperemesis occurs in pgs with girls 30% or 50% more often than pg with boys. My mum had hyperemesis only pg with my older brother though, and not me nor my younger brother. That's with hyperemesis though, I haven't a clue what the stat is for normal morning sickness.
Old 08-26-2008, 01:36 PM

I have 3 girls, no boys. I was not sick at all with my first two, but with my third baby I was miserable for the first 9 weeks. For that reason, I figured she was a boy. I was in for a surprise!
Old 08-26-2008, 06:49 PM

Sicker with the girl, for sure. But #3 right now has me somewhere in-between how I felt with ds and dd...I think it's a boy because I'm not puking multiple times a day. But I do feel sick all day long, and that's worse than how I felt with ds...
Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 PM

This is my 1st and according to the U/S a girl. Other than a queasy feeling and intense cravings, I didn't have M/S. In fact, that was one of my reasons for thinking I was having a boy. Hmm.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 08-26-2008, 07:39 PM

felt queezy all day long for the first couple months with dd. never threw up but spent quite a few nights sleeping on the floor next to the toilet. even the smell of food made me want to throw up.

this time around with ds (currently 25 weeks) i haven't had the tiniest hint of feeling sick. however, I made up for that by getting the stomach flu twice in the first 6 weeks of pregnancy. baaaaaad stomach flu. the throwing up 10+ times in a 24 hour period kind of flu.

~TRACY, wife to loving dh, mommy to dd (10/05), ds(12/08), 3 kitties, & 2 pups.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM

I was terribly sick with DD for over 6 months. This time I'm still sick but not nearly as bad. I don't know what the sex of this baby is but I always just figure that every pg is different.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:01 AM

I was very sick with ds1, somewhat sick with ds2, and not sick with ds3. Pregnancy #4 has been tough so far; I don't feel quite as bad as I did with #1 but the duration of the nausea has been longer. I'm curious to find out whether this baby is a boy or girl.

Homeschooling Mom of 4 boys: 10/02, 6/04, 3/06, 2/09
Old 08-27-2008, 08:34 AM

With DS, I had nausea until week 17 (never actually threw up though), was constipated, had bad heartburn and was really swollen. I'm pregnant with a girl right now and only had a bit of nausea for about 2 weeks and I feel great.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:38 AM

If this one is a girl (and I'm pretty sure it is) I'd say girls. With dd I thought I was going to die. I lost 15 pounds and threw up all day, every day for over four months.

With ds, I could have been the woman who didn't know she was pregnant until in labour. I felt awesome the whole time.

With this one I haven't been nearly as sick as I was with dd, but definitely felt a lot worse than I did with ds. And I'm over 14 weeks and the morning sickness is still hanging on.

If it's not a girl I will be very, very surprised. I actually secretly kind of want a boy though : The thought of dressing ds and his little brother in matching outfits..well..there isn't a MDC smiley to explain how I'd feel about being able to do that
Old 08-27-2008, 02:04 PM

Other - Equally sick with all which was not much.
This is an old wives tale. I have 2 boys and 3 girls

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 08-27-2008, 05:12 PM

I'm just the opposite of the norm. I was sooooo sick with my son, but I'm pregnant with a girl. This pregnancy is a cakewalk compared to my son's.
Old 08-27-2008, 05:41 PM

I've only had one so far so I can't compare boy to girl, but I had a boy and was EXTREMELY sick. I was bedridden from about 6 weeks until 16 weeks and then still pretty sick through the second trimester. People kept telling me I was having a girl because of how sick I was, but they were wrong.

Heather
Old 08-27-2008, 09:23 PM

My first was a boy. I threw up almost every day from about 8 weeks-18 weeks and felt exhausted and queasy all the time. I usually spent about half an hour in the bathroom every morning kneeling by the toilet vomiting or trying to vomit. I was working at the time and had a pretty stressful commute (train, then NYC subway), so that might have contributed somewhat.

My second is a girl, or so I've been told....we'll see for sure in a month. I only threw up a handful of times (usually at night), and not after about 13 weeks. I was tired in the first trimester, but still functional. We had a bathroom renovation going on during the whole first trimester, and I was usually out of the house all day with ds, but I still managed ok.

lady.gif mama to H. 4/05 and A. 9/08 and baby C. 10/11

Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I found no differences between my pg with DS and my pgs with the girls.

I really can't vote though- it's not accurate to say that I "wasn't sick at all", nor did I feel horrendous. I was moderately nauseated in early pg and fatigued during most of the pg, all 3 times.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

User Tag List