fifth disease? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2008, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone know anything about exposure to fifth disease? i watched my niece today and she had a rash all over her body, after having a low grade fever for a few days. it occurred to me after an hour of being with her that i saw this rash on a neighbor girl who i was later told had fifth disease. then i remembered that pregnant women should be very careful of exposure. has anyone been in this weird place? i feel fine, but i'm worried about exposure to the baby. my 16 month old is sure to get whatever disease my nieces and nephews have, since all the kids seem to make out, share cups, eat whatever food finds their hands, whether it has been drooled on or not. anyway, i don't want to overreact, but i also want to be sensible and do what i can now that i've been exposed.

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacita angelica View Post
anyone know anything about exposure to fifth disease? i watched my niece today and she had a rash all over her body, after having a low grade fever for a few days. it occurred to me after an hour of being with her that i saw this rash on a neighbor girl who i was later told had fifth disease. then i remembered that pregnant women should be very careful of exposure. has anyone been in this weird place? i feel fine, but i'm worried about exposure to the baby. my 16 month old is sure to get whatever disease my nieces and nephews have, since all the kids seem to make out, share cups, eat whatever food finds their hands, whether it has been drooled on or not. anyway, i don't want to overreact, but i also want to be sensible and do what i can now that i've been exposed.
I've been unlucky enought to have had 2 scares with Fifth's Disease this pregnancy (not to mention Ontario is in the midst of a HUGE listeriosis outbreak). I went to my family Dr. as I hadn't yet seen the MW. They can do a blood test to check for immunity to Fifth's Disease as well as one to check if you currently have Fifth's Disease. It's just a simple blood draw. Turns out I'm not immune, but I didn't get it either. If it turns out that you do get it, they will probably monitor you with ultrasounds. The incubation period is about 2 weeks (although opinion on that seems to vary widely) and it is extrememly contagoius, so if it was Fifth's there is a good chance that your daughter will get it. The chances of a bad outcome for baby are slim, but it is wise to make sure you do everything you can to ensure a good one.

I guess that's a long way of saying call your MW/Dr. and ask for the blood work.

I really hope it's not Fifth's, and that you're immune. It sure wasn't a fun time, having to worry about it.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Moving out to the general pregnancy forum. Good luck!

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Old 08-27-2008, 10:53 PM

My DD had it and we were with a friend who was pregnant, although she was 36 weeks along. So I did some research. Turns out that it is such a common and such a mild childhood disease that most adults have had it, and are immune, even though they didn't know they ever had it. DP and I never came down with any symptoms. We can only assume we had it as kids and our mothers never even knew it. The chances are very great that you too had it as a kid and are immune. But of course a call to your MW or OB would be a good idea.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgoddess View Post
Turns out that it is such a common and such a mild childhood disease that most adults have had it, and are immune, even though they didn't know they ever had it.
: Or, if you're an adult who spends a lot of time around children, it is highly likely that you have had it as an adult. For example, I am a teacher, so when, during my first pregnancy, I became exposed through a student, my ob told me I'd probably been exposed many times before. Often, adults get the flu-like symptoms minus the rash. I'd go in for a blood test-- they can determine your immunity, and then you can cross this one off your list of worries!
Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone. last night, i had terrible joint pain and vomiting, but no fever. luckily, i feel better today and had a previously scheduled mw appointment, so we'll see. i think my little one has it now, though.

married to my best friend sam sahm to beatrice (04/07) and mourning lucia, born still 12/22/08
Old 08-28-2008, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachma View Post
: Or, if you're an adult who spends a lot of time around children, it is highly likely that you have had it as an adult. For example, I am a teacher, so when, during my first pregnancy, I became exposed through a student, my ob told me I'd probably been exposed many times before.
Often true, but not so in my case. Before becoming a SAHM, I was a preschool teacher, and I am not immune. I thought for sure that I would be considering the number of kids I've been in contact with over the years.
Old 08-29-2008, 03:05 PM

By the time the rash appears the contagious period is usually over, so you may not have been exposed. Unfortunately the early symptoms are those of a common cold or no symptoms, so it's quite hard to tell with young children. so it does make it harder to avoid exposure then.

As others have mentioned, more than half of adults have previously been exposed and will be immune. My daughter had it recently when I was about 30weeks pregnant and I was very nervous about it, but couldn't do anything about it, as she had the rash and had already been in that contagious period for 2 weeks! My midwife told me not to worry too much, didn't feel the need to check me for immunity or exposure if I was symptomless, but just said to watch out for symptoms in myself of the rash, etc and then later to check my size (one possible complication if baby gets it can be too much amniotic fluid/polyhydramnios). I'm 40 weeks now and all seems to be fine.

I think it's far less an issue once out of the first trimester or so.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

just an update...went to my baby's pediatrician since she developed fevers and a rash. basically, it is an "unspecified viral rash." not fifth disease. whew. we still had fevers and I had vomiting, but nothing to really worry about in the long run. thanks for your support everyone. it is nice to have this board to ask questions and get talked down from the freak-out ledge.

User Tag List