FDA study - Lead in prenatals - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2008, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hope this is okay to post, and doesn't come off as totally alarmist since all the lead contents were below allowed level. This is just information I wish I had had since I switched from New Chapter to Rainbow Lite half way through my pregnancy...

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/pbvitami.html

This is a recently released FDA study about the lead content in vitamins. It covers children's as well as prenatal & women's. Rainbow Lite had one of the highest lead contents, although supposedly all the vitamins were well below the FDA's provisional total tolerable intake levels.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 05:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
im skeptical of this report but im also tired so need to think more about this and look at more resources.

the rainbow lights i take has 5mg (?) and the "safe daily dosage" (?) is 25 per day....so im thinking there is something else going on w/ this study (like, perhaps, "dont take what your dr doesnt prescribe")...or something like that.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 PM

I'm glad that you posted the report -- there shouldn't be ANY significant amount of lead in prenatal and children's vitamins!
Old 08-30-2008, 01:18 PM

DH and I have been talking about this and can't figure out...
Why is there ANY lead in vitamins? Really. Is it a binder? A preservative? A coloring agent? A filler? An impossible to eliminate substance bound to another substance? Neither one of us can figure it out

Also, does anyone have a link to a list of lead-free prenatals and children's vits?

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 08-30-2008, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thixle View Post
DH and I have been talking about this and can't figure out...
Why is there ANY lead in vitamins? Really. Is it a binder? A preservative? A coloring agent? A filler? An impossible to eliminate substance bound to another substance? Neither one of us can figure it out

Also, does anyone have a link to a list of lead-free prenatals and children's vits?
I'm sure its got to be pollution/contamination. I don't know much about vitamin synthesis but lead would not be used in the manufacture of a food product intentionally. It is very prevalent in a lot of materials though - clay for one.

And I know special characters are not easy on a message board, but its not milligrams, its micrograms - a millionth of a gram

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 08-30-2008, 07:14 PM

Thank you for posting the list. No matter how small the maount of lead there should not be a trace in vitamins, contamination or not.

To me it's ridiculous that the FDA allows certain amounts. No amount is OK in my book.

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 08-30-2008, 07:40 PM

WOW. that list is HUGE. i'd be very grateful if someone figured out vitamins NOT on this list. and what's to say that prescription prenatals don't have lead??
Old 08-30-2008, 11:40 PM

Not to freak anyone out, but there are trace amounts of lead in most produce you eat. So it makes sense to me that Rainbow Life Complete might have more lead, because there is more food in it than most!

If you sort the list of prenatal vitamins by lead amt, then almost all of the highest on the list are labeled "complete". Looking at the very highest, it is claimed comparable to Rainbow Life Complete, and is 6 pills per serving like Rainbow Life.

Other differences between a commercial prenatal and a whole foods supplement is total volume. Some prenatals are relatively small, once a day pills - even chewable, sweetened tablets. Rainbow Life Complete is 6, big, uncoated tablets that taste and smell like grass and vitamins.

A whole foods supplement also gets its nutrients from real food sources. Most foods have trace amounts of lead because lead is in the ground, air, water, etc. So when you concentrate tons of plant material into compressed tablets, you get a lot more nutrients and apparantly more lead - so probably other contaminants that are naturally in the source foods. Compare that to something created in a chem lab - yes less contaminants, but how usable is it by your body, and what is really in it?

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...09345/abstract
This is the first link I found summarizing the content of lead in produce. There is a lot out there on lead in vegetables though - from farms along highways to backyard gardens. So I am sure there are lots of other sources to study if you are interested. They sampled a bunch of vegetables:
"...Brussels sprouts, apples, pears, cabbages, potatoes, onions, leeks, carrots, swedes, watercress, frozen vegetables, cucumber, celery, tomatoes, mushrooms and dried herbs...."
And checked the lead and cadmium levels. As for the lead:
"....The lead content of the 231 samples was in the range 0.01 to 3.85 parts/million the mean being 0.05 parts/million..."

So if you combine enough foods to get the nutritional content you see on whole foods vitamins, and look at just an avg lead level in produce, it kind of makes sense. Not to say anyone should or shouldn't take whole foods prenatal supplements, but probably good to understand that concentrated vitamins may mean concentrated contaminants.

As to whether they could somehow remove it in processing, that is another question worth asking the companies I would say! Maybe now that it is public and if people start asking for it, the companies would work on it!

Thanks for posting this link - it wasn't something on my radar at all about vitamins before!

Christy
Old 09-01-2008, 09:40 PM

Wow Chritsy!!! Thanks for breaking it down, I never really thought about it that way before

wife to DH 2/03, mama to DS 3/03 & DD 1/09
Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojo F. View Post
Wow Chritsy!!! Thanks for breaking it down, I never really thought about it that way before
:

Quote:
As to whether they could somehow remove it in processing, that is another question worth asking the companies I would say! Maybe now that it is public and if people start asking for it, the companies would work on it!
This especially. For some reason, and I know it's going to sound stupid, but I just imagine "them" running a big magnet over the production line and calling it "clean."

---feeling like an emu on acid---
Old 09-02-2008, 05:04 AM

It might also have something to do with the calcium in prenatals. At our natural childbirth class they said the process that goes into leeching and concentrating the calcium into a supplement or something like TUMS somehow increases the lead. I guess there was a class action lawsuit against calcium supplement companies/TUMS/etc. and they were forced by the FDA to decrease the lead, but it is still there which is why she recommends papaya enzyme over TUMS.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:49 AM

You're welcome for the research! I love the internet for this reason!

Thanks for the tip on calcium too. I will have to look into that since my kids and I are all taking extra calcium since we don't do dairy (and for me just during pregnancy). We do calcium citrate though, do you know if it is all calciums or just carbonate since it is mined from mineral sources?

Have a good day!

Christy
Old 09-07-2008, 10:47 AM

Bump!

Just wanted to bring this back to the forefront, since there is another post on the same topic going on!

Christy
Old 09-09-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboodges View Post
Not to freak anyone out, but there are trace amounts of lead in most produce you eat. So it makes sense to me that Rainbow Life Complete might have more lead, because there is more food in it than most!

Christy
Great info, Christy! Thanks for the perspective!

User Tag List