rsv and pregnancy - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 09-02-2008, 07:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone have any information on contracting rsv during pregnancy. we are not sure if we have it yet (they screwed up the test on ds3 today) but MAY have it and i am 36 weeks right now so a bit concerned.

tia
#2 of 13 Old 09-02-2008, 07:50 PM

The only concern would be to have it still when the baby comes. I'm sure you don't like taking abx but in this case, I would get everyone in the house on abx if they have rsv. Your HCP should be able to test you guys.

My dd had rsv when I was pg and then I got it just a couple of days after the baby came, then the baby got it and we were in the nicu for 11 days.

HTH

ETA: even though rsv is a viral, you would have to have been on abx for 24 hours to enter a nicu if you showed signs of a respiratory infections (that was according to the children's hospital I was at.) And apparently there is a viral abx for severe cases.

Are you guys going to be able to retest? It is sort of early for rsv....I hope your family doesn't have it.
#3 of 13 Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 PM

I know of no concerns about pregnancy and RSV. I would agree that the only concern would be if it's hanging on after baby comes and they get exposed. In adults it's usually very mild.

I don't understand why antibiotics would make any sense. It's a viral illness. Antibiotics only act against bacteria. Not viruses. And I would hope a NICU isn't going to let anyone in with RSV- antibiotics or no.

-Angela
#4 of 13 Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 PM - Thread Starter

i had a typo in my OP...sorry about that. im 36 weeks. Im not sure about what abx would do for RSV, although we havent had the test come back yet (they screwed up the first one so we have to go back tomorrow am to get it redone).

im going to call my MW and see what she says tomorrow but i dont feel like calling her this late for the possibility of RSV, yk?? ds3's dr. isnt that concerned but offered the test and i would rather know than not know, kwim??

im upping my fluids, echnicea (hate spelling that) and vit c. as much as is safe and trying to rest. unfortunately, this was a week that i really need to get stuff done (have the home visit on friday, which i may actually reschedule).

anyway, nothing i have found online gives me much cause for concern...but its always good to "check in".

considering ds3 is not nursing very much right now but still nurses at night, i will try to avoid abx as much as possible with him and i dont feel comfortable taking abx myself, but esp. not when prego.

thanks for all replies.
#5 of 13 Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
I don't understand why antibiotics would make any sense. It's a viral illness. Antibiotics only act against bacteria. Not viruses. And I would hope a NICU isn't going to let anyone in with RSV- antibiotics or no.

-Angela
I know....I didn't understand this either but rsv babies are isolated into one room and no one touches anyone elses babies anyway. I wasn't actually tested for rsv but I just assume it was what both dd and I had since the baby had never left the house and he tested positive for rsv. I was just thankful I had gotten abx so I was able to stay with him. We were at UCSF which is an excellent children's hospital also. (?)

I figure that I'd just cover all bases in a situation like this. DS who had rsv ended up on abx but they couldn't find a bacterial infection but him being on abx ended up making him wake up out of his fever...could be coincidence.

PassionateWriter - I'm sure you guys will be fine...do lots of handwashing and cleaning of the surfaces in the house. Sending you healthy vibes for pregnancy, birth and pp.
#6 of 13 Old 09-02-2008, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I know....I didn't understand this either but rsv babies are isolated into one room and no one touches anyone elses babies anyway.
When my cousin's baby had RSV they had him in NICU under an oxygen tent and were giving him supportive measures. No antibiotics.
#7 of 13 Old 09-03-2008, 12:25 AM

RSV antibodies are passed through breastmilk, so you'd also have some protection from that. And if you're fighting it, I'd think you'd be absolutely LOADED with antibodies.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#8 of 13 Old 09-03-2008, 12:46 AM

I wonder if talking to your pediatrician about getting an rsv shot for the newborn would be possible if you do have it in your house so close to birth. I know it's really hard to get insurance to cover them for full-term babies but having siblings who actually do have it is a pretty high risk factor. I would think your pede could get them to cover it.

(I don't know about the abx either, that was just my experience when my DS had RSV at 8 days old. I guess when you go through something like that abx are pretty minute.)
#9 of 13 Old 09-03-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
I wonder if talking to your pediatrician about getting an rsv shot for the newborn would be possible if you do have it in your house so close to birth. I know it's really hard to get insurance to cover them for full-term babies but having siblings who actually do have it is a pretty high risk factor. I would think your pede could get them to cover it.

(I don't know about the abx either, that was just my experience when my DS had RSV at 8 days old. I guess when you go through something like that abx are pretty minute.)
Just wanted to touch on this. It's not only insurance that you have to get to cover the cost (about 1300.00 a dose) but first you have to Synagis company to agree to give it to you. They really limit who qualifies for it, for full term baby there are very few ways to get it, really only if they have a dx of chronic lung disease, heart issues, things like that. I had a full termer with chronic lung disease due to a respiratory illness shortly after birth, she was O2 dependent until she was 7 months old, with a whole mess of risk factors and we still had major issues.

At 36 weeks, unless baby decided to come this week, you should be fine.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#10 of 13 Old 09-03-2008, 11:50 AM

My undestanding of RSV in adults was it was nothing more than a bad cold and URI. It's not necessarily called RSV in adults and the test they use for RSV anyways isn't very accurate. A better indicator is your O2 levels and how you feel etc. Any URI can be harmful to a baby in the early months, bfing and lots of hand washing by everyone is the best thing you can do.

Jennifer, LPN and nursing student, Doula, CPST, and VBAC mama x3 to
AJ (5/03), Evan (12/04), Ilana (11/06), Olivia (2/09), and Unity (8/2012)

#11 of 13 Old 09-03-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post
RSV antibodies are passed through breastmilk, so you'd also have some protection from that. And if you're fighting it, I'd think you'd be absolutely LOADED with antibodies.
thats what im thinking too.

our dr's practice is a naturopath and a family dr., so their methods of dealing with issues like this (for ds now and baby when he comes) is more natural than most i think..and for that i am grateful.

I feel like total crap today and ds and I slept until 11:30, so hopefully the rest will help us. ds was a 41 weeker so hopefully this baby will wait for several more weeks.
#12 of 13 Old 09-03-2008, 01:59 PM

RSV can become a moderate to severe illness in adults, too. The coughing can actually cause problems for your pregnancy (bring on early labor possibly, depending on how sick you get). Watch the color in your fingernails and lips, any bluish/purplish tones should be reported to your midwife so she can check your oxygen sats. Low sats would mean you would need oxygen (you are oxygenating mroe than you!).

Also, once everyone is feeling better clean with bleach or hot water or ammonia as much as possible. You aren't going to be getting every germy in the house, but as many as possible.

http://www.rsvinfo.com/diagnosing/diagnosing.html

Quote:
Another factor making the spread of RSV almost unavoidable is the period of viral shedding. Viral shedding may occur one to two days before symptoms become apparent and last as long as two weeks after symptom onset. This period is significantly greater and more prolonged for children with defective cellular immunity.1 The incubation period is three to five days for most patients.
You may be able to spread the virus even after you feel well. Up to 2 weeks after symptoms started. Hand washing is vital. If you are having a hospital birth, don't bring your kids to the hospital unless you deliver 3 weeks from now, just to be safe.

It IS very early for RSV, but one year my son got it in June (he has immune system problems), so it is certainly possible.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#13 of 13 Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

thankfully we arent having the baby in a hospital but i had read yesterday that the virus can only live for a few hours. ill have to look that up.

eta:
Quote:
The virus:
RSV is a negative-sense, enveloped RNA virus. The virion is variable in shape and size (average diameter of between 120 and 300 nm), is unstable in the environment (surviving only a few hours on environmental surfaces), and is readily inactivated with soap and water and disinfectants.
from the CDC website

i will definitely clean afterwards but it appears that normal soap and water will be sufficient.

the coughing is definitely the biggest issue right now (pain wise) but we are taking in as many vit's as we can and jumping in the hot tub or shower as many times as i have energy for. soup is our staple right now. i know i am going to be sooo tired of soup after this is over.

and i feel silly if this is not RSV.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page