Lead in Prenatal Vitamins!! Please Read. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 09-05-2008, 12:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The FDA isn't doing anything about it, Mamas, so we're totally on our own to protect ourselves. (Gee, what a surprise.)

Blog article that I originally found: http://zrecs.blogspot.com/2008/08/fd...childrens.html

FDA's article: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/pbvitami.html lists MANY more than vitamins than the blog does.

Please find your vitamin on here and see what your intake is like.

**cross-posting to kiddo and health forums**

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#2 of 23 Old 09-06-2008, 06:02 PM

The Rainbow Light Prenatal One seems like it has a lot of lead compared to some of the others. Maybe I should switch? It has .460 mg Pb/kg while others like the GNC Prenatal have .125 mg Pb/kg.
#3 of 23 Old 09-06-2008, 06:09 PM

sheesh... are there any without lead? Mine is just a garden variety store brand one... so i have no clue.

Rachel lady.gif, in love with my baby girl Abigailenergy.gifborn 9/17/08!
#4 of 23 Old 09-06-2008, 06:14 PM

I'm looking at that, too; Rainbow Light One-a-Day is my prenatal right now... But when you look at the exposure over the whole day (which I think means not in just one dose but in however many the vitamin recommends you take throughout the day), it's more toward the middle.
#5 of 23 Old 09-06-2008, 06:27 PM

Wow, there are few on there that we used to give the kids. The one they currently take isn't and neither is my prenatal, but geez there are some well respected companies on that list and that just seems nuts!!
#6 of 23 Old 09-06-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
sheesh... are there any without lead? Mine is just a garden variety store brand one... so i have no clue.
Yeah I take whole food's store brand... I wonder if they're actually made by one of the other companies?

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#7 of 23 Old 09-06-2008, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
Yeah I take whole food's store brand... I wonder if they're actually made by one of the other companies?
I would think Whole Food's would be reliable in this aspect. I'd be surprised if their's had lead...

We should find out!

Ugh. How frustrating.

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#8 of 23 Old 09-06-2008, 07:38 PM

So, Rainbow Light has a statement on their website that doesn't answer any questions, but basically says they are within the FDA's limit (it doesn't look like they are within California's limit)

Are prescription prenatals safer in this respect? I am going to continue my Rainbow Lights until Monday and then call my OB.
#9 of 23 Old 09-06-2008, 08:38 PM

the difference in the amount of lead looks like it depends greatly on whether its a one a day or three a day, so while the rainbow light once a day looks like it has a lot of lead, some others FAR exceed it because you are taking more than one per day.

it is still a REALLY small amount, as of right now, i'm not really concerned, there's lead in almost everything.
#10 of 23 Old 09-06-2008, 09:32 PM

Thanks for posting that.

I'm surprised about this, in some ways. But, since many sources of commercial vitamins are rocks and the like, I guess it's not too surprising. Are most of you ok with lower levels, or is there no acceptable level?

(just found out today that I'm pregnant!!):

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#11 of 23 Old 09-07-2008, 09:49 AM

Bump!

Just wanted to connect those of you here with the other recent post on this called FDA Study - Lead in Prenatals.

Have a good morning!

Christy
#12 of 23 Old 09-07-2008, 10:00 AM

subbing...

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#13 of 23 Old 09-07-2008, 10:18 AM

I take rainbow light and my kids take the rainbow parade one. I don't want to overract, I assume we are ingesting a very small amount of lead anyway through food and water? And that our body can rid itself of small amounts in most healthy people?
#14 of 23 Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Hmmm... New Chapters look a little lower than Rainbow Lights, but not as low as other brands. I'm curious about how much harm this much lead would do?

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#15 of 23 Old 09-07-2008, 09:27 PM

This is from the EPA:

Q: How much lead is too much?

A: Federal standards initially limited the amount of lead in water to 50 parts per billion (ppb). In light of new health and exposure data, EPA has set an action level of 15 ppb. If tests show that the level of lead in your household water is in the area of 15 ppb or higher, it is advisable - especially if there are young children in the home - to reduce the lead level in your tap water as much as possible. (EPA estimates that more than 40 million U.S. residents use water that can contain lead in excess of 15 ppb.) Note: One ppb is equal to 1.0 microgram per liter (µg/1) or 0.001 milligram per liter (mg/1).

http://www.epa.gov/ogwdw000/lead/lead1.html'

So compare that to animal parade, a whole foods children's vite:

0.623 ug per day.

So a liter of water could have 15ppb or 15 ug per liter, but the children's multi has .623 ug.

I'm all for keeping our diet clean. We do not vaccinate. We eat a lot of organic foods when we can afford it. We feel better when we take our vitamins. My older son will take his children's multi, but will not take cod liver oil. So....for now we are sticking with the multi.

AND I would feel more comfortable with my vitamin on this list than not. These are the vitamins that were studied. The ones that were not studied, we just don't know how much lead is in them. I might switch from rainbow light to New Chapter next time I run out of vitamins based on this info.

I'm curious to hear what everyone else thinks.
#16 of 23 Old 09-07-2008, 10:10 PM

I'm so confused. I wish they had alphabetized the list. Can someone tell me what the RL 6 a day had?

I really want a food based vitamin with the herbal support. I'm so sick of taking so many pills a day that I don't want to switch vitamins just to add a bunch of herbs!
#17 of 23 Old 09-08-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden's Mom View Post
I'm so confused. I wish they had alphabetized the list. Can someone tell me what the RL 6 a day had?

I really want a food based vitamin with the herbal support. I'm so sick of taking so many pills a day that I don't want to switch vitamins just to add a bunch of herbs!
I take the Daily Foods Herb-free Baby N Me prenatals, and they have another version WITH herbs. Check it out. It's food-based, so it works for my stomach.
#18 of 23 Old 09-08-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden's Mom View Post
If you copy their list and paste it into excel, you can either search for the name of your vitamin (Edit Menu, Find) or alphabetize the list so it is easier to fine (Data Menu, sort).

It is a long list to sort through!

Christy
#19 of 23 Old 09-09-2008, 12:19 AM

The FDA list shows that almost all of the vitamins on the list are well below the daily limit. I don't think vitamins are where we need to be concerned about toxic levels of lead.
#20 of 23 Old 09-09-2008, 01:00 PM

If you hit Ctrl/F together on any webpage (or pdf file for that matter) you can search for a specific word on a page, and keep hitting "next" for more instances of that word. It is an invaluable tool for my websearching!

This can help with the FDA list when trying to find your vitamins, since it's not alphabetized.
#21 of 23 Old 09-09-2008, 01:27 PM

I just ordered a bunch of rainbow light prenatal one because I like their products in general. It is a relief to see that a bunch of other expecting moms are taking it.

But no one has answered, what level of lead is acceptable/safe?
#22 of 23 Old 09-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfunkyfantastic View Post
I agree. Thats a lot of vitimines on the list. Mine isn't the list but it could be one of the many that hasn't been tested yet.

http://www.pureessencelabs.com/mother_child.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimibella View Post
Wow, there are few on there that we used to give the kids. The one they currently take isn't and neither is my prenatal, but geez there are some well respected companies on that list and that just seems nuts!!
What kind supplement does your children take? My kids vitamin made the list. My dd refuses to take them because she says it makes her sick. I never make my kids take their vitamins because I remember as a kid it would tear my stomach up. I'm thinking my dd is sensitive like me. But for the older boys, maybe once a week would they have a vitamin. They get a lot of nutrients from food so I never really worried about it. I'm only concerened if they're comming on a cold or an illness.
#23 of 23 Old 09-09-2008, 10:12 PM

My ND has me taking the Rainbow Light Prenatal One 3x/day as my multi vitamin. DH and I were TTCing before he deployed.

Should I stop taking them all together?? I am a bit concerend.

:~*Barbara*~ 25, DGF to an awesome man (25) and always a step-mom to A (8)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page