Synergy Kombucha during Pregnancy....? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having trouble finding definitive info on Kombucha and pregnancy. I've found some articles that say the detoxifying effect of Kombucha is what is to be concerned with during pregnancy. I'm 3 1/2 months pregnant and have been drinking the Synergy Kombucha occasionally. It really helps to soothe my nausea and heartburn. I actually crave it.

Anyone with knowledge on this subject? or personal experience drinking Kombucha while pregnant?

Thanks, B
#2 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 05:26 PM

All I can say is what you already mentioned...detoxing during pregnancy is a bad idea. But I don't drink Kombucha so I don't know how strong the detox effect is.

But I did find this:

http://www.mothering.com/discussions.../t-250109.html
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=573621
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombuch..._contamination

We don't drink it because of the alcohol (we're Mormon). I know it doesn't have a lot but we prefer to err on the side of caution. I also try to avoid caffeine (not that I'm perfect at that).

If you don't get a satisfactory answer in this forum try posting in the "Traditional Foods" forum.
#3 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 05:44 PM

I'm a Latterday Saint and I drink it. I guess that's a personal call there. I think it's very healthy for pregnancy. It is no more detoxifying, than, say, cilantro or beet juice but no one tells you to avoid those . . . just don't overdo it, you know? Also skip it if you have sensitivities (allergies) to yeast. Other than that . . . follow your cravings. It helps with nausea, digestion, energy level, low blood sugar, supports good kidney health and optimum gut flora, etc etc. Good stuff.

♥ blogger astrologer mom to three cool kiddos, and trying to figure out this divorce thing-- Blossom and Glow ♥

#4 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionTigerBear View Post
I'm a Latterday Saint and I drink it. I guess that's a personal call there.
Oh yeah! ITA. I should have specified that our Kombucha habits are not a Church-wide thing, just a family policy. Thanks for speaking up.
#5 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 07:02 PM

I brew my own kombucha and while I can't say I have a taste for it right now, I think it should be fine during pregnancy. Its a probiotic in a way, good bacteria.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
#6 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 07:45 PM

I asked this in TF a while back and the consensus I got was that if you've been drinking it regularly for at least a year, it's fine to continue during pregnancy. Certainly there are lots of good things in KT. But it was also said that toxins are probably still being mobilized if you've been on it less than a year, and in that case to discontinue, which is what I did.

Maybe also ask here if you haven't already:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/original_kombucha/

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#7 of 7 Old 09-09-2008, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'll probably continue to drink the Kombucha in moderation, at least until the nausea subsides and my cravings for it lessens. Your answers have been helpful!

B

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page