Red raspberry leaf tea: How much do you drink daily? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2008, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read anywhere from 2 cups to 4 quarts (!) in the last trimester. Right now I'm thinking 4 cups daily will be fine. I'm just starting now at 32 weeks in hopes of toning my uterus and supplementing my calcium.

How far along are you and how much do you drink, if any?

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2008, 01:15 AM

I have been drinking one cup a day so far, and I am 31 weeks. My midwife told me to bump it up to 3 cups a day at 34 weeks.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:22 PM

i only have one a day. my labor with DD2 lasted under 1.5 hours, start to finish, and i was drinking one cup in the last trimester. obviously, my uterus didn't need much additional toning!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:42 PM

I've been making infusions with a quarter cup of RRL and a quarter cup of nettle in one quart of water and drinking that quart each day.

Molly, mama to my 3 sweet boys.
: : hale:
Old 09-11-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_rain View Post
I've been making infusions with a quarter cup of RRL and a quarter cup of nettle in one quart of water and drinking that quart each day.
Is nettle an herb? In what form is it usually purchased? I'm wondering if my food coop would carry it.

Most drink the raspberry leaf tea all through pregnancy right? I just bought six boxes

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM

I am drinking two to three cups per day - I'm at 37.5 weeks, and only started drinking it about a week and a half ago. I'm late to the game! But it's tasty. Even cold. I've got a little bit left in my mug right now that I'm sipping on.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:15 PM

To answer the question about nettle ... yes, it's an herb and very good for pregnant mamas. Nutritional giant ... iron and folic acid etc. I'm not crazy about the taste or the way it tastes if I use too much in my pregnancy tea.

This time I have not been drinking as muh RRL tea as I did with my 3rd, 4th and 5th pregnancies. Last two I made a pregnancy tea with RRL, red clover, oatstraw, nettle leaf and alfalfa ... this time I'm just drinking plain RRL tea although I may add those other herbs soon since I'm entering my 3rd trimster tomorrow! :
Old 09-12-2008, 04:17 AM

Do we drink this during labour too?
Old 09-12-2008, 05:53 AM

Well...information seems to vary here and there when it comes to RRL...

In the UK - most people say take as much as you want but only after 31 weeks! (they even caution this!)

Most people on here are from America though and they say you can start as soon as you find out you are pregnant.

I was not sure how I felt about this before I got pregnant...
I will be trying for an HBAC so I want a nice strong uterus you know and thats all RRL does - strengthens the uterus. It doesnt cause you to go into labour...

So for me:

1 cup a day in the first tri
2 cups a day in the second
3 cups a day in the third...
When I get to about 35 weeks ill start taking maybe 4...
I also have some pills (just the tea in capsule form! lol) I will be taking towards the very end and after the birth.

I have also been drinking nettle (as much as I want really - I usually let a bunch soak overnight so its nice and strong) - everyday since about 3 months before we even started to TTC. I had low iron with DS and its loaded with other good stuff too like folic acid so its my everyday tea ill be drinking for awhile lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 AM

One cup a day is the correct amount to drink.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimemama View Post
One cup a day is the correct amount to drink.
Could you please provide a source for this? I've heard such varying amounts and everything I've read suggests that you should increase intake beyond one cup as you progress through the pregnancy.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

Old 09-12-2008, 12:24 PM

I follow the "cup a day per trimester" guideline. So, in the third trimester now, I drink three cups a day. I did the same last time and labored for 36 hours though, so who knows. I like it, the blend I drink has other natural minerals (something high in calcium, I think?) and I figure it can't hurt!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:35 PM

I'm drinking the mama's brew, which has RRL, nettle and alfalfa. I'm making a gallon from 10 teaspoons and drinking anywhere from a quart to half a gallon a day.

I don't know if it's a lot or a little. I just know the stuff tastes good and makes me feel good, too.

Mama to expecting Babe 2
Old 09-13-2008, 03:51 AM

I followed the 1 cup per trimester "rule". Making RRL iced tea made made it easier to get three cups a day in during the third trimester.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

Old 09-13-2008, 05:05 AM

One cup a day is good for me. My son just broke a tennis racket.
Old 09-16-2008, 02:53 PM

Hi, I am new here, due in April....

Just wondering where you all get your raspberry tea and nettle.
the site i usually order my loose leaf tea from only has a raspberry blend, which contains hibiscus, and i heard that's bad for us.
i have no idea where there is a health food store around here...does anyone order online?

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:17 PM

I order from www.mountainroseherbs.com and mix my own blend.
Old 09-16-2008, 04:15 PM

I had fallen off the rrl tea wagon in my first trimester and started again in my 21st week. After 2 days of one cup/day I had a scary night of contractions/uterus spasms every two minutes.
It could have been a number of things but I think I will hold off the rrl tea till 8 months
Old 09-16-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_rain View Post
This is exactly what I do. I steep it for about 4 hours and sometimes add peppermint. It makes me feel good and gives me energy. I would guess that 1/4 cup of RRL is probably about 4 cups.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:11 PM

Heh, I make a NORA (equal parts Nettle, Oatstraw, RRL & Alfalfa) brew each morning. I use roughly 1c herb for 2 quarts, and I drink it all day long. It is delish, but a little strong for beginners. I started after 16wks (as recommended by MW) and have slowly upped the strenght and amount per day. I prefer it iced, so I fill a big nalgene container and carry it and a regular 24oz tumbler full of ice (and my brew) wherever I go. It's great!

For info on why these herbs are good for pregnant and lactating women, see this article: http://www.charischildbirth.org/news...0906/page4.htm

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><

User Tag List