Fear of nausea and throwing up during labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pregnant with my second baby and this time around I wanted to have a natural labor with a midwife/doula and take bradley classes.

One thing I am really nervous about is the nausea during labor. This usually happens during transition right? I didn't feel it last time because my pain was numbed with an epi. Just wondering if a lot of people threw up during their natural labor? Did you take anything that helped? I have a little bit of a fear of throwing up.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
2 natural labors/births and I've never had nausea during labor.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much Peony! This totally comforts me!
#4 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 PM

my first labor was a hospital induction, and i threw up two or three times right as i hit transition. it was over with fast, and i honestly didn't even care at that point. my second labor, which was all natural, i didn't throw up once-- i assumed that i would, and was nervous about it, too. turns out it was most likely the pitocin the first time around.

Jean, feminist mama raising three boys: W (7), E (5) and L (2.15.13)

#5 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 12:06 PM

I've had 3 natural births. I didn't have nausea or throw up with the first two, but did with the last one. It was right at the end, and it really didn't make me all that miserable. I do think it helped open things up, ds was pushed out in just two contractions shortly after I threw up!
#6 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 12:28 PM

I have not felt nauseous nor thrown up during transition. Both times, I did throw up at the early onset of labor - within the first hour to hour and a half - along with emptying out at the other end. Transition, for me, is much more about emotional 'distress' than physical.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#7 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post
2 natural labors/births and I've never had nausea during labor.
ditto
#8 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 12:53 PM

Never felt nauseous in labour either.
#9 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Out of the births I've attended so far (probably in the 20 + area) I think only 2 people have thrown up.. and one wasn't until after the birth.
Usually if there is nausea present, theres some natural things we can do to help relieve it quickly. I personally never felt nausea during my 28 hours of labor, just HUNGRY!

Wife, Mother and Doula.
#10 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 02:03 PM

I only felt nauseous for about 15 minutes during transition. I was thinking I might throw up (had DH grab a bowl just in case) but I never did. And I HATE vomiting so I was worried about it too. As my MW pointed out, you can't predict or control what happens at that point so try not to worry about it.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#11 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 02:23 PM

Well, I'll be honest. I vomited during most of my 21+ hour labor. Not really any nausea that I recall -- just vomit/contraction/vomit/contraction.

BUT apparently that's how my body reacts to extreme pain, and it was my body's way of dealing with the contraction pain. And unfortunately my husband (bless his dear heart) was unable to help get me back on track and refocused in doing breathing and other things we'd practiced ahead of time. After over 12 hours of this, I went into the birth center and after a few hours there opted for an epidural. Immediately I stopped vomiting. I could still feel the contractions, but the break in the pain was so immediate that I stopped vomiting.

The epidural started wearing off and I handled the contractions and still, no more vomiting -- I had needed something to break the cycle, if that makes sense, and it did. So I technically had a medicated labor, but an unmedicated birth.

This time we're hiring a doula and I'm hopefully getting the Hypnobabies set. I'm hoping that we can find natural ways to break that cycle and avoid the constant vomiting, should it occur again.

But honestly, the nausea and vomiting that most women encounter is temporary, it's short-lived, and not ongoing. To me, that would be totally bearable, especially since I know what it's like to have it be ongoing for hours on end. But even for those like me, who have it the whole labor, it's no guarantee it'll happen every time. So you may not be nauseated or vomit at all. But even if you do, it will either be temporary in which case you can handle it, and as long as you have someone or something to help get your focus back on track, you can break the cycle, I think, should it be longer-lasting.

We just weren't fully prepared, despite having taken Lamaze classes, read books, and so on. I was in no position to be proactive with myself (I honestly couldn't remember anything I'd studied) and my poor husband was beside himself and not much help at all either, I'm afraid. So we're really hoping to rely on a doula who can help keep me focused. If you're really worried about it, that's something you might consider as well, unless your partner is really good in an intense/stressful situation. Mine unfortunately, isn't really.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#12 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 04:01 PM

I was nauseous during my first labor...but only because of pitocin. My second labor was pain free until the ring of fire, with no nausea at any time. I even ate scrambled eggs during early labor. It was breakfast time, I was hungry, and I knew it would be a tiring day...even more so if I didn't eat anything. A wonderful day, but tiring.
#13 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 04:03 PM

yeah..my nausea and heaves were less than a minute at just at transition with both my girls. not really an issue at all at that point.. i was actually happy because i knew i was nearing the end..haha

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms
#14 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM

Interesting to read this -- I just read the birth story of a friend who had an epidural and she vomited several times when the epi was in place -- apparently b/c her blood pressure dropped. So I guess an epi doesn't always prevent the nausea/vomiting.

I'm also worried about the other end, b/c whenever I had menstrual cramps, diarrhea tended to come with them if they were bad (sorry, tmi).

Happy mama to our miracle son Benjamin - 3/09 after a long road of infertility
#15 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 04:21 PM

I didn't throw up at all during my labor and I'm kind of a pukey person. Right at the beginning I thought I might and I asked for a basin, but once it got more intense the nausea went away. I also started labor right in the morning on an empty stomach so I don't know if that made a difference. A tip I read somewhere is to drink grape juice during labor because it is not unpleasant to puke up.
#16 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 04:59 PM

Natural birth- in transition I barely remember that I threw up and I don't remember any prolonged nausea.

Planning natural homebirth again!!

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
#17 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 05:01 PM

I had nausea and vomiting in labour when I had an epidural and when I didn't.

No, an epi doesn't usually prevent nausea and vomiting.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#18 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 05:28 PM

I threw up once during my labor, well before transition. I think it's because I drank too much Gatorade. Yuck.
#19 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 06:01 PM

I vomitted a small amount just before transition. Once it was out, I had no further nausea. After birth, I was well beyond famished!
#20 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 09:07 PM

I vomitted right at the end of my induced labour with an epi, it was when I went from having a lip of cervix to complete and DD coming whether I pushed or not so I don't think an epi necessarily prevents it - most of the ppl I know who did vomit had an epi. I read somewhere that when baby starts to come down all the way some women vomit which I think is likely what happened with me. As soon as I was done I told the nurse that I needed to push so she checked and DD was on her way out.
#21 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 10:16 PM

I never had any nausea just threw-up during transition once quick easy and knew then it was time to have the baby I look forward to throwing up because for me it means I am almost done:

SAHM to wonderful hubby of 13 yrs and 3 boys age 10,7,and 4 and our new little girl 5mo ::::
#22 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 10:25 PM

I threw up with my first, which was a hospital birth with a spinal. Both of the boys were homebirths and I never did.
I did have a slightly confusing moment with DS1 where I told DH I thought I was going to throw up, but instead started pushing (I thought I was about 6 cm at the most, but I was complete. It was a crazy fast labor!).
I've heard of that since giving birth to him, people sometimes call it a "throwing down" reflex
#23 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 PM

I had a short period of nausea with my unmedicated labor, and vomited once. I can still remember hearing someone in the background - my mom or my doula - chirping, "That's an excellent sign of progress!"

Alexandra 4.11.05 and Colin 2.9.09. Click on my name to visit my homeschooling blog.
#24 of 24 Old 09-15-2008, 11:05 PM

Unmedicated birth here as well. I threw up at transition, yes. Once. But it wasn't typical for me in that I didn't feel this wave of nausea rising up that I had to ride up to the crest, feeling terrible the whole way until I puked. It was like, "Oh crap. I'm going to puke. Right. Now." The build up is worse than puking IMO, and there was none and then it was over.

Really not bad at all.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page