herbal sleep aids while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-06-2003, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a quick thread to ask about safety and experiences?
what have you taken to help you sleep or overcome a headache at night?

i remember my midwife had me taking small doses of a valerian tincture at the end of my last pregnancy, its hard to find good information- now i look it up online and all the mainstreamsources automatically nix herb because,well you know how it is- if you cant patent them, you cant make money,so you ought to give them a bad reputation!

specifically:

Valerian

Passion Flower

Melatonin (not herbal, i know)

any opinions?

if it matters, i am only 8 weeks and still nursing my first.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#2 of 15 Old 11-07-2003, 01:08 AM

Valerian knocks me out way too much, but I really like Hyland's Calms Forte homeopathic formula. Or sometimes I take homeopathic Coffea Cruda if I feel jumpy and wired. I know that melatonin is bad if TTC but not sure about if you are pg.

Sweet dreams!
#3 of 15 Old 11-07-2003, 01:55 AM

When I was pregnant my midwife suggested skullkap. I used it at night for insomnia and it worked really well - no groggniess in morning, just nice, restful sleep.
#4 of 15 Old 11-07-2003, 02:32 AM

I've noticed that since I've been taking magnesium supplements to help with preterm labor, I've been sleeping a lot better too! I have a vague recollection of there being a correlation between the two but can't remember where I heard that or read it on the net.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#5 of 15 Old 11-07-2003, 01:06 PM

I second skullcap. Susun Weed recommends it in her book and it works well w/o the hangover that valerian gives me. ALso great for headaches. And any kind of pain, including labor
#6 of 15 Old 11-07-2003, 03:59 PM

oops post
#7 of 15 Old 11-07-2003, 04:04 PM

*magnesium~ a safe, effective, natural muscle and nerve relaxant . Very helpful w/ sleep issues! 500 mg at bedtime is a good dosage.

*valerian, skullcap, and passionflower are all safe and for most people effective

*homeopathic formulas, such as Calms Forte or Moon Drops

*if anxiety or nervous tension is involved a bit of Rescue Remedy flower essences can be helpful

*Ashwaganda~ a dropperful of tincture 1-2 x daily can help resolve sleep issues. Ashwaganda is a safe, tonic, Ayurvedic herb that balances the nervous system and grounds the bodies energies.

*a cup of chamomile or catnip tea

I would recommend against melatonin, as well as hops and kava kava while pregnant or nursing an infant.
#8 of 15 Old 11-07-2003, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

thanks everyone! i feel helpless without the book i had- Wise Wooman herbal, that told me all these things. time to just buy an extra.

I got scared when i looked at random online sources saying valerian and passionflower werent safe, as i took both of these in my last pregnancy!

i may try skullcap, too,i had not thought of it. mostly my sleep issues are stemming from terrible headaches after i have my evening throwing-up session. (ewww.) that and the little sucker-fish i have attached to me boobie all night. : there's no remedy for that, though. :LOL

thanks for all your help!
bebe luna you sound quite knowledgeable, are you an herbalist?

i have been receiving accupunture for my morning sickness, but now i think i am too sick toleave the house. no kidding. i even told dh -no more babies!- last night while being sick in the bathroom. i know, i will manage somehow but itsso bleak right now.

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
#9 of 15 Old 11-07-2003, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tabitha

bebe luna you sound quite knowledgeable, are you an herbalist?

I am not a professional herbalist, but I am a professionally trained and certified practioner of Chinese Medicine, including herbs, Shiatsu, moxabustion, magnet therapy, Chinese dietary therapies, etc...
I am also professionally trained in Chakra balancing, pregnancy massage, and some forms of energy work/healing hands.
I have done a lot of research, studying, and self-expirimentation w/ Western herbs, flower essences, nutritional supplements, homeopathics and various dietary therapies.

I also come from a family that includes many healers~ yoga masters, herbalists, acupuncturists, massage therapists, homeopaths, natural food fanatics, etc...
#10 of 15 Old 11-07-2003, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

well thanks again! i got some skullcap and some magnesium, so as to have two different methods in case one works better for me. i will have tolet everyone know how these work. wish me sweet dreams!

tabitha

#11 of 15 Old 11-08-2003, 01:19 AM

Quote:
well thanks again! i got some skullcap and some magnesium
Magnesium is a natural stool softener too. Just letting you know. :-)

When I went on it to help control my cx it took me a couple days to adjust-- and it totally cured my bedrest/pregnancy constipation problem! Woo hoo! I'm taking 8-900 mg daily so for you it may not have the same effects with your bowels.

Darshani

7yo: "Mom,I know which man is on a quarter and which on is on a nickel. They both have ponytails, but one man has a collar and the other man is naked. The naked man was our first president."

#12 of 15 Old 11-09-2003, 01:44 AM

Do you take skullcap as a tincture? I've resorted to valerian for the last 2 nights because I hadn't had a good night's sleep in over a week, but the hangover is killing me! I'll put skullcap on my shopping list for this week, but I just need to know what form/dosage to take. Ahhhhh, peaceful sleep....

Thanks!
#13 of 15 Old 11-09-2003, 02:09 AM

my chiropracter does muscle testing and I tested really strongly for a calcium lactate supplement. I'm not sure, but I think that magnesium helps the absorption of calcium. Anyway, I take 5 standard process calcuim pills before bedtime and I get great rest...on the nights I forget to take them i really notice the difference. So if magnesium doesn't do the trick for you ladies maybe try calcium lactate. It's doing great for me!
#14 of 15 Old 11-09-2003, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

z-girl, i bought in caplets, only because at the store i was at the tintures were all skullcap+ something else and i wasnt sure. i did speak atlength with an herbalist there who assured me it was totally safe for me. i dont really know if it worked,though,because i proceeded to throw up all evening.

nighttime is when my morning sickness seems to be at its worst.

i took the magnesium too, i did talk about it before buying it and bought the lowest dosage available to men,to avoid the stool softening effects. thanks USAmma!

i got B6 for the ms and sofar no help...

dh let me take a good nap today when i started to feel ill and it really helped, more than any remedy so far.

thanks also to mountainmommy, good to have a lot of options!

#15 of 15 Old 11-10-2003, 01:26 AM

Thanks, Tabitha!

I also take Cal-Mag at night to help with the wicked leg cramps I get. I know it helps because I've forgotten to take it a few times and woke up with leg cramps those nights! I also try to eat yogurt with nuts before bed- good calcium and mag and fat!

Sweet dreams!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page