Is there a pregnant vegans thread? If not, let's start one - Page 11 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2009, 09:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
I am being overly cautious too.. my parents invited us to go to Hawaii with them for spring break, but I am soooo not up to 6+ hour flight being PG and with a toddler... so Mexico is closer and cheaper..

Recipes- I LOVE Isa's recipes for just about all her treats.. Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World for cupcakes, and Vegan with a Vengeance for cookies

You could also check out vegweb.com for good recipes.
My folks live in Spain (I'm English) and we declined a trip to see them because of the distance... and, well, a visit to the parents is not much of a holiday in my experience!

THANKS so much for the recipe suggestions. We made some of Isa's vanilla and chocolate cupcakes. DELICIOUS... especially the chocolate ones. Wow. I posted pics of our baking on our blog

how's everyone else doing?

Zubee

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
I think I will at least try freezing my placenta in chunks and then putting a few into a smoothie every day. If I can taste it, the experiment is definitely over, but I've heard it is supposed to stave off PPD and baby blues from the big post-partum hormonal changes, so it's worth trying. I think I just won't be telling a lot of people that I'm doing this b/c we have some very squeamish friends (who are omnis, ironically enough). Imagine posting that to facebook--so and so is: eating frozen chunks of her own placenta in a delicious smoothie!
Oh my, I will absolutely write a comment like that on FB!!!! Even if I don't eat the placenta... which I confess I am highly unlikely to do!

Zubee

Old 02-15-2009, 02:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Zubee- Those cupcakes/fairycakes look sooo good!!!

I try to find an excuse to celebrate just about everything, lol.. but Valentines pretty much sucked yesterday.. I am hoping that someday DH will do something sweet and/or romantic for valentines.. he is totally clueless about it. He claimed that he thought I was against V-day, which I'm not.. but I suppose it was a good excuse. He spent the day yesterday at his friend's house, brewing beer, and getting drunk, and not coming home until 9pm. :

Oops.. sorry about the vent

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 02-16-2009, 01:12 PM

Ah! I've been craving Cheddar cheese horribly! I caved and bought some and I just kept eating it yesterday. I was trying to be logical, figuring it was perhaps the salt, but nothing else sounded good except cheddar cheese. grrr. Anyone else? Can anyone think of a good alternative? I'm all for listening to my body during pregnancy, but I just can't bring myself to believe that my body actually needs cheddar cheese by the brick.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

haleyelianasmom I really like the Follow Your Heart soy cheeses, but I actually am not terribly fond of the cheddar flavor unless it's melted (tastes kind of too sweet IMHO).
Old 02-16-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post
Ah! I've been craving Cheddar cheese horribly! I caved and bought some and I just kept eating it yesterday. I was trying to be logical, figuring it was perhaps the salt, but nothing else sounded good except cheddar cheese. grrr. Anyone else? Can anyone think of a good alternative? I'm all for listening to my body during pregnancy, but I just can't bring myself to believe that my body actually needs cheddar cheese by the brick.
I was craving cream cheese. Much worse than cheddar, in my opinion
Go with it...you'll be through it soon.

By the way, even as a vegan (well, a vegan when I'm not in the 1st trimester), I think cow cheese is better for us than processed soy cheese...that stuff really scares me.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 02-16-2009, 02:09 PM

Thanks guys. I've never tried the soy cheese you suggested, catemom, but I've tried a few and I can't say I've found any that I like. I think soy cream cheese is good. I'm just worried about the bioaccumulation that supposedly happens with dairy. Not to mention I feel bad for the cows... I should at least get organic next time. bah
Old 02-16-2009, 02:17 PM

When I cave into my cheese cravings, I try to get goat cheese or at least organic cow cheese.. I have a serious weakness for it though, and soy cheese doesn't cut it..

Old 02-16-2009, 02:25 PM

Goat cheese, there's an idea. Since it seems like the nutrient profile of goat's milk is easier to digest. Do they make goat's cheddar? I'll have to check the health food store.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleyelianasmom View Post
Could be the protien or the calcium you're craving. Load up on protien and calcium rich foods and see if that helps.

I like nutritional yeast sauces and just sprinkling nooch on things, but while it tastes great, I doubt it would be a substitute for a cheese craving. Ime, the only thing that works for cheese cravings is actual cheese. I don't even bother with the fake cheeses unless I am cooking something (like lasagna).

Anyway, I'm not craving cheese but I am craving fish. Seafood, almost any kind of seafood, especially sushi. I don't know what that's about. Protien and omega fatty acids I guess? But my tummy always likes it and I can always keep it down, and it's so loaded with protien that it keeps my tummy happy (I get nauseous if my tummy is the least bit empty).

A lot of my vegan recipes make me sick, so that's a bummer.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:37 PM

It probably isn't calcium because I've been eating those calcium chews lately. Could be protein and salt, or salt and fat? meh, I don't know. I have nutritional yeast, too.

I get the fish craving thing every once in a while. Not recently, though. I'm taking a vegan DHA now, so maybe that helps. Check out Omega-zen on veganessentials.com. i love it.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Banned

I tend to throw up all supplements, so that's out
Old 02-16-2009, 08:23 PM

I don't have to worry about a fish craving.. I HATE fish, I always have. It's just the cheese... oh, the cheese.. lol. I keep telling DH I want my own goat so that I can make my own cheese from my own goat, and don't have to worry about the guilt.

I just got back from my midwife appt.. everything looks pretty good (besides the "upper limits of normal" kidneys that I'm going to get a follow up u/s next month.

Then I had a LLL leadership meeting afterwards.. I am soooo close to getting my leadership, I could do it tomorrow if everyone else's schedules would let me. So, I am pretty much waiting on everyone else.. one more month, though. :

Old 02-16-2009, 08:52 PM
Banned

I don't feel as bad about eating fish as I do about eating eggs or other meats. I don't feel *too* bad about organic cheese, but yeah. I prefer to eat a few animal products as possible.

Still I am so desperate for food that won't upset my tummy I am less picky these days. Unfortunately I've been having problems with tofu lately, which really sucks because I love tofu.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 PM

Okay, goat cheese is out. I bought some today, but I just can't eat it. It tastes SO goaty. Like I'm licking a barn. ew. But I'm not really craving cheese now. Just trying to get the goat flavor out of my mouth.

And the DHA supplement is available in liquid drops. It's "grape flavor" though it still tastes a bit fishy, but if that's what you're craving, then maybe that's a good thing.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
I am being overly cautious too.. my parents
Recipes- I LOVE Isa's recipes for just about all her treats.. Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World for cupcakes, and Vegan with a Vengeance for cookies
I have to second this. The recipes from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World are just amazing! Love them - have tried as many versions as I could

Greek vegan mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

I still need to buy those cookbooks! I have Veganomicon and Yellow Rose Recipes but those two have been on my list FOREVER. I also want Viva La Vegan, by a different author but you know, it looks good.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

I have Vive Le Vegan, and I really like most of the recipes I've tried--especially the peanut butter cookies and the brownies--mmmmm! I haven't tried any of the entrees because my son wouldn't touch most of them.

My sister recently bought Veganomicon, and I haven't tried any of the recipes yet because--although good--their non-dessert cookbooks are more geared to vegans sans kids (IMHO). My main gripe with a lot of vegan cookbooks is the recipes often call for junky ingredients like white rice, pasta, or flour (and I'm omitting desserts here). Many of us are beyond making pancakes with white flour because we miss eating at Denny's. Even my picky son happily eats whole grain breads, pancakes, and muffins without a second thought.

Goat cheese is definitely not tempting to me at all, but there are a lot of pockets of small farmers in our area who keep goats and use their milk, so if, for some bizarre reason, I decided to eat goat dairy products, I'd feel way better about it than factory farmed moo juice products.

LizzyQ Yea for one more month to leadership! I hope the next u/s doesn't give you cause for worry.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone!
Old 02-17-2009, 09:37 PM

catemom- Thanks! have you tried The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook? Her recipes are more whole foods based, and many of them are vegan or have vegan alternatives.

Old 02-17-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganfox View Post
I have to second this. The recipes from Vegan Cupcakes Take over the World are just amazing! Love them - have tried as many versions as I could
I can attest to how yummy they are! All my friends I gave some to - all omnis, btw - LOVED them. I'm about to make a 'cake' with the chocolate cupcake recipe. It's to celebrate finding out whether we're having a boy or a girl!! We find out tomorrow!

Anyone else going to find out? Or, are you all much more patient than me?

Zubee

Old 02-17-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:

I just got back from my midwife appt.. everything looks pretty good (besides the "upper limits of normal" kidneys that I'm going to get a follow up u/s next month.

Then I had a LLL leadership meeting afterwards.. I am soooo close to getting my leadership, I could do it tomorrow if everyone else's schedules would let me. So, I am pretty much waiting on everyone else.. one more month, though. :
I'm going to reveal my ignorance by asking what LLL is?!

Hope your ultrasound goes well next month. I have such anticipatory anxiety around tests, etc.

Actually I had to see the NP today as my Dr. is out of town as I've been experiencing some lupus symptoms (I have SLE, though it's been in remission). Thinking they'd tell me not to worry about anything I was surprised when they made an emergency rheumatology appointment for me tomorrow. Yuck. I am so sure it's going to be okay, though....

Ultrasound tomorrow... I'm both excited and nervous. We're sure we're having a girl which means that I should be prepared to hear 'it's a boy'

zubee

Old 02-17-2009, 09:50 PM
Banned

That is true about veganomicon, it's not really for vegans with kids.
Old 02-17-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post

Anyone else going to find out? Or, are you all much more patient than me?

Zubee
We found out a couple weeks ago.. boy # 2 for us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
I'm going to reveal my ignorance by asking what LLL is?!

Hope your ultrasound goes well next month. I have such anticipatory anxiety around tests, etc.

Actually I had to see the NP today as my Dr. is out of town as I've been experiencing some lupus symptoms (I have SLE, though it's been in remission). Thinking they'd tell me not to worry about anything I was surprised when they made an emergency rheumatology appointment for me tomorrow. Yuck. I am so sure it's going to be okay, though....

Ultrasound tomorrow... I'm both excited and nervous. We're sure we're having a girl which means that I should be prepared to hear 'it's a boy'

zubee
Good luck at your u/s! EVERYONE thought for sure we were having a girl, but alas.. another boy! We are still kind of shocked!

LLL is La Leche League. It's a mother-to-mother breastfeeding support and informational group... www.llli.org. I'm sure they would have a group in your area, you should check it out.. I LOVE going to LLL meetings.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
LLL is La Leche League. It's a mother-to-mother breastfeeding support and informational group... www.llli.org. I'm sure they would have a group in your area, you should check it out.. I LOVE going to LLL meetings.
Congratulations on another boy!! I will be so stunned if it is a boy... i think we've convinced ourselves that it's for sure a girl!! This is our first.... we're not bothered either way.

Aha, I thought it might be the Leche League. My good friend (the same one who suggested this group, actually) recommended that I join a group. I live on the outskirts of Portland, Me, and I know there are groups there. Congrats on your training! I know where to come for tips

I can hardly wait for tomorrow...!

Zubee

Old 02-18-2009, 01:00 PM

Hello pregnant vegans! I haven't posted in this thread yet but I am hoping you all can help me out. Basically, my diet has been crap for much of this pregnancy. I had bad MS until about 10 weeks so I just ate whatever I could, usually not healthy stuff. And now I feel better but I am so tired all the time that I don't have energy to prepare anything. I find myself eating a lot of whatever is easy and fast to prepare, like bread, bagels and cereal, and very little fresh fruits/veggies or protein, which is probably contributing a lot to the fatigue. Also, I give into my cravings (usually for So Delicious coconut milk ice cream and Liz Lovely cookies )the second I have one. I feel really guilty about my diet and I am vowing to start giving my babe good stuff from now on.

Could you give me some tips or meal ideas that don't take a lot of time to prepare? I am especially interested in ways to get enough protein without using too much soy.

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
That is true about veganomicon, it's not really for vegans with kids.
I wouldn't say that this is true in all cases. If you are talking about the time that the recipes take - yeah, a lot of them are better for weekends or when you have a fair amount of time and two adults at home. But the actual food itself is fine for some kids. I cook in a very similar style to that cookbook (even before it came out) and force my kids to eat it.

love.gif

Old 02-18-2009, 02:15 PM

Erin22-
What about nut butters and hummus?
Also, bean burritos, Chili, bean soup.
Black bean enchililadas- A quick tip on the enchiladas, if you are feeling lazy(like me) or are short on time, just layer the tortillas instead of rolling each one individually.
I know you are trying to limit soy, but One of the "whole soy" yogurts has 6g of protein, 30% DV of calcuim and 10% DV of Iron. I eat one when I feel like I haven't gotten enough protein.
Also, try eating whole grain bread. The kind I buy has 4 g of protein per slice.. Two slices plus ..say 2 tbls Peanutbutter.. is 17 grams of protein for a PBJ!!!!
Amy's soups- find kinds with beans in it. preferably combined with a grain. I think there are about 8 grams or so in there.
Amy's bean and rice burritos. i think there are 9-11g in there?

If you are feeling very tired, do you think you could be low on iron?
Are you seeing a midwife or OB? maybe they could check your iron... another way to tell is to look at the inside of your lower Eyelid. If its pale, supposedly you are low on iron. if you have good iron it should be red.
A midwife told me that while in your second tri you should be feeling pretty good energy-wise, so you may want to look at your iron.

"Floradix" is really good at upping iron. You can get it at most health food stores in the vitamin section. Its a liquid iron supplement that is made from herbs and has a really good history of upping iron really fast. synthetic irons are not assimilated as well as natural iron and they also can cause constipation.. blah.
Also, you can make herbal "infusions" our of dandelion, nettle, alfalfa and /or kelp which are realy iron rich.
Yellow dock is really good for low iron, but it kinda tastes like drinking campfire smoke, so you could take a tincture instead.

I am not a medical professional..(duh! hahah) But from what I have read, and from what my intuition says to me, the earlier part of pregnancy, its not quite as important to be getting the same amount you would need toward the second half of pregnancy and guilt can really weigh you down. Plus it feels harder to eat well during the winter for some reason.
I would say, just be easy on yourself, and start with a clean slate!

I am having a hard time getting my veggies in as well, especially greens. Its hard! But all I can do is forgive myself and try to do better the next day.

Hope this helps!

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
Old 02-18-2009, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

LizzyQ I LOVE the Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook. There is a recipe for a tomato basil sauce that I can always get DS to eat on pasta. I also just made the Shepherd's Pie recipe--tasty and really easy!

Pinksprklybarefoot I love to cook, but it's just become so frustrating to try to find something that we will all eat. My best bet is serving foods to DS that are segregated by type, not something mixed together. I don't force DS to eat foods, because for him I think it just encourages the behavior. When he's older, I will let him know that he can either eat the food I've prepared or fix himself a sandwich. I also suspect there are picky kids at his school (the kind that eat nothing but mac n' cheese and wonderbread), because he's less picky when he's been at home for a while.

Zubeldia I hope your lupus symptoms disappear soon. Both my DH and I were convinced that we were having a girl this time (and I was sure it was a girl last time) but it turns out that my intuition for such things is completely wrong--LOL! Anyway, if a girl is what you're wishing for, I hope that is what you get.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:20 PM

are there many vegan recipes in the "vegetarian mother's cookbook?"
I hate to get vegetarian cookbooks because they usually have so much dairy in them!!

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
Old 02-18-2009, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeAMamaMia View Post
are there many vegan recipes in the "vegetarian mother's cookbook?"
I hate to get vegetarian cookbooks because they usually have so much dairy in them!!
Yes.. There are lots of vegan recipes.. in a lot of the recipes she gives a vegan alternative.. not everything, but most. I've been cooking vegan for 4+ years and use that cook book very often.

User Tag List