Is there a pregnant vegans thread? If not, let's start one - Page 13 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#361 of 479 Old 02-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!

I can relate on the heartburn issue. It just started kicking in for me. I'm experimenting to see what kinds of foods really trigger it, but so far nothing jumps out. Maybe its because I've been battling with the insurance agency about covering my homebirth! Grrr...

sky_and_lavender: I find myself reaching for Veganomicon a lot lately as well as How It All Vegan. I also refer to Skinny B*tch Bun In The Oven a lot, but there aren't any recipes in it. Just meal ideas. They have an actual cookbook - Skinny B*tch in the Kitch - which I find pretty good, if not terribly exciting. I think of it as more of a "how to assemble dishes from pre-made ingredients" book than a bona fide cookbook. There are a bunch of quick and easy meals in it though. If you're not familiar with the "Skinny B*tch" series, its tone is rather in your face and crude, which turns a lot of people off. But I think the info is sound and the recipes are worth a peek.

Have a great day everyone!!

#362 of 479 Old 02-27-2009, 01:28 PM

I have the Skinny B!tch cookbook.. it does rely heavily on processed ingredients.

I also love Veganomicon. I've had good success with most recipes out of that book.

Heartburn kicks in for me with chocolate

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#363 of 479 Old 02-27-2009, 03:26 PM

Hi everyone!!

For heartburn I usually take the papaya enzymes. They are chewable and they work pretty well. When it doesn't work I try to add probiotics, like the chewable fruit flavored acidopholus. That worked pretty good up until the last few days for the last pregnancy. This one I haven't yet had much heartburn (it manifested in a reflux burn for me), but when/if it comes, I'm going to try adding GoodBelly to my diet.

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#364 of 479 Old 03-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Congratulations on another boy!! I will be so stunned if it is a boy... i think we've convinced ourselves that it's for sure a girl!! This is our first.... we're not bothered either way.
Hihi, we found out about 2 months ago that we are expecting a baby boy. It is our first baby and I was absolutely convienced it's going to be a girl. We didn't even bother to think much about boy names. So you imagine our surprise when the doctor said "I think I see a penis!"...We were shocked but still so excited. Can't wait to meet the little bean.

Edit: ~*~*~*~*

I had to edit cause I read the rest of your posts Zubeldia. Congrats on the baby boy!!!!!So exciting!
(I loved the pix on your blog )

Welcome new members too! Vegan mamas rock :

I hope everyone is doing great and that you had a nice weekend. I'm in my 29th week, baby is head down according to midwife and I just try to stay relaxed and prepare for the Bday. It's overwhelming to me since it's my first baby and I have no idea how my labor is going to be. Good thing is my mom & dad will come to US from Greece to be with me for two months and help out with the baby. Very excited. I really miss them and I know my mom is really sad she is not sharing my pregnancy experience with me. It's her first grandchild on top of everything else.

Little boy is all stretched to my right side so my belly is totally uneven. He won't let me sleep on my right side, he starts kicking his feet which is very cute and very annoying sometimes especially when it's 5am in the morning and I'm trying to sleep

Greek vegan mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
#365 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 12:46 PM

Argh, this cheese thing is driving me nuts. I have been eating some cheese and I had some eggs, but I really don't like it for nutritional and ethical reasons, so I'm going to try to just get back on the vegan thing. I've never read any of the Skinny Bitch books, is that a vegan-friendly book? I need some good meal ideas, sometimes I just run out of ideas. We did make a vegan matzo ball soup a week or so ago. I haven't had matzo ball soup since I was at my Jewish friend's sader (sp?), but it was pretty good! It's on the ppk website.
#366 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 12:48 PM

Skinny Bitch is all vegan

#367 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Thank you for all the wonderful ideas, everyone, and the recipe! This group is sooooo great. I'm not a pregnant vegan island thanks to you.

My husband got the the Skinny Bitch: Bun in the Oven book when I got pregnant. It's fun and helpful if you need a motivator or an extra boost, and gives plenty of great arguments for when people question your diet. I rely on the book "Becoming Vegan" for my basic vegan pregnancy information.

When I finally pay my library fines, I'm going to get some of the cookbooks you guys recommended from the library. (Yay! New recipes!)

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#368 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

There's a skinny bitch book for pregnancy? I have to admit I kind of hate the idea behind skinny bitch, that we should all be thin, and the title bugs me...but I really would be interested in a pregnancy book for vegans. Does it have recipes too?
#369 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 01:04 PM

I never knew they were vegan books! I guess I was turned off by the title, I just assumed it was full of weird diet tricks like over-salting your food or using dark colored plates (I've read a book like that... how annoying!). I put a hold on the "bun in the oven" book at the library.
#370 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
There's a skinny bitch book for pregnancy? I have to admit I kind of hate the idea behind skinny bitch, that we should all be thin, and the title bugs me...but I really would be interested in a pregnancy book for vegans. Does it have recipes too?
I never liked the concept, either, although the authors explain that the "Skinny Bitch" concept was just meant to draw weight-motivated people in, then give them the message that unhealthy skinniness is not as good as health at any size. I enjoyed the raucous voice of the authors, though, especially when I was having a hard time loosening up about being pregnant. It was especially helpful for my husband, who had never read a book about pregnancy before. The pregnancy book has recommended menus but not recipes in it.

Also: catemom thanks for the recommendation to eat more raw veggies. I'm not sure that it's changing my heartburn right away, but during the worst time of morning sickness I couldn't stand salads, and now I'm able to eat them again. I had gotten out of the habit. I feel so much better when I add fresh veggies into my diet.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#371 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 PM

I have avoided the Skinny Bitch books just because the title puts me off.
Although I am not very motivated to cook most of the days, I have found Sarah Kramer's books the most helpful. She has easy and yummy recipes and the ingredients are not hard to find. How it all vegan, The Garden of Vegan and especially La Dolce Vegan! I love the last one. Very good recipes. And then there is the blog http://www.vegalicious.org/ that I visit very often. I like that whatever I'm craving for I can just search the ingredient and voila! Hope you find my suggestions helpful.
Have a great day everyone!

For Heartburn: I have found eating an apple works or drinking a couple of sips of a carbonated drink. Something else that has worked for me is Mama Calm tea. Have you tried it? It's good to fight heartburn and constipation.

Greek vegan mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
#372 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_and_lavender View Post
I never liked the concept, either, although the authors explain that the "Skinny Bitch" concept was just meant to draw weight-motivated people in, then give them the message that unhealthy skinniness is not as good as health at any size.
:

It's meant to be a diet book, but it's geared towards a vegan diet, and being healthy, and not really just "skinny" I really liked reading it, but I skipped over the animal cruelty chapter, because it was really graphic, and I am already veg*n and sensitive to those issues, so I didn't feel like I really needed to read that part.

#373 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
It's meant to be a diet book, but it's geared towards a vegan diet, and being healthy, and not really just "skinny" I really liked reading it, but I skipped over the animal cruelty chapter, because it was really graphic, and I am already veg*n and sensitive to those issues, so I didn't feel like I really needed to read that part.
Oh, I wanted to clarify that I haven't read the original Skinny Bitch book, just the pregnancy one. I got the impression that their approach hadn't changed between the books, though, and LizzyQ confirms this for me. Thank you!

#374 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hello!

I have been enjoying the conversation about the "Skinny Bitch" books. Now I'm curious, I'll have to take a peek at one of them. I actually was also put off by it because I feel uneasy around vegans (or omnis) who martyr themselves with food. The self-hatred vibe really makes me uncomfortable.

Spring has sprung here and so I'm taking a cue from the bees and getting busy putting together some meals for post-baby. I made 2 dozen banana muffins and some pancake mix today. I think I'll just keep making stuff until the deep freeze is full (I wish we had a bigger freezer!).

I couldn't find king sized vinyl mattress covers locally (need them for the hb), so I looked online. The first two places I found these items online were: an "adult" store that was particularly smarmy, and a site called "www.bedwettingstore.com." Needless to say, I kept looking (I don't think I could look my UPS carrier in the eye otherwise).

sky_and_lavender I'm glad the raw veggies made you feel better, I hope the heartburn gives you a break now and then.

Have a happy Tuesday, ladies!
#375 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
I couldn't find king sized vinyl mattress covers locally (need them for the hb), so I looked online. The first two places I found these items online were: an "adult" store that was particularly smarmy, and a site called "www.bedwettingstore.com." Needless to say, I kept looking (I don't think I could look my UPS carrier in the eye otherwise).

Is there a homebirth supply store online that you can look? Or a midwife supply store? I know I've seen one, I just don't remember where right now.

#376 of 479 Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganfox View Post

I had to edit cause I read the rest of your posts Zubeldia. Congrats on the baby boy!!!!!So exciting!
(I loved the pix on your blog )
Thanks so much, veganfox. We're STILL in shock!!!

this little fella is VERY active around 3am.... I think he's lying on my right side, too, as I feel bigger there!!

My folks live in Spain, so I hear you on the sadness of doing this alone. Though my mum isn't the most maternal

Zubee

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#377 of 479 Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post

I bought an EVA (ethylene vinyl acetate- BPA free) shower curtain at walmart for 7 bucks. I plan on laying it down on the bed over my matress pad and fitted sheet, throwing a few towels on it, then covering with an old fitted sheet.
this way i can take off the messy stuff and have clean underneath without having to make the bed again.
I have heard a few people use shower curtains instead of fitted sheets and never had problems with it.
I especially wanted the non-vinyl one because vinyl smells horrible and its fumes are toxic. I didn't want to be thinking about that during the birth.

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
#378 of 479 Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 PM

hey, mamas! i LOVE the skinny bitch books. the authors freely admit that the title is to bring people in and get more exposure for the book and veganism. i love how they don't tiptoe around the cruelties done to animals. Millions of animals are suffering for food production and I'm glad they're shouting it from the rooftops!

I wsa having really bad heartburn too but Ive started only eating fruit or a salad before bed and no more heartburn. It's hard though because I love to sit at night when the kiddos are asleep and eat stuff like banana bread and cookies. lol

sky and lavender, i'm lol about your library fines. i'm the worst at returning books late! lately, my running total is only around $5 but i've had some pretty hefty fines.

chrissy, i understand the cheese thing! it's so hard. in previous pregnancies, i ended up giving in to cheese and ice cream and i too felt so conflicted. it also made me feel all congested, yuck. this time, i swore to myself i wouldn't cave and so far i haven't. i have several vegan magnets on the fridge for inspiration and i just try to remind myself that i want to gain weight reasonably and not feel out of control. i find the longer i go without fulfilling the craving, the less i crave it. i also try to treat myself regularly to my very favorite vegan foods so i feel like i'm indulging.

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#379 of 479 Old 03-04-2009, 02:14 PM

Hijack alert! But I can't help myself! I just spoke to my insurance compnany and was told that they do cover midwifery care! And if it's considered out of network they will cover 65%!!!!!! hooray!! : Such a relief that I won't have to pay 100% out of pocket before the birth, shew!

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#380 of 479 Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrl View Post
Hijack alert! But I can't help myself! I just spoke to my insurance compnany and was told that they do cover midwifery care! And if it's considered out of network they will cover 65%!!!!!! hooray!! : Such a relief that I won't have to pay 100% out of pocket before the birth, shew!
That's awesome!!! YOU ARE SO LUCKY!
#381 of 479 Old 03-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Believe me! I feel lucky! We just got this insurance in January and my last one was paid for totally out of pocket... this is a HUGE relief!!!

#382 of 479 Old 03-04-2009, 02:26 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
That's wonderful!!!! Congrats...

As for Skinny Bitch... I must admit that I feel a bit appalled by the name but then again I LIKE that it probably exposes the book and its ideas to a broader array of people. DH won the book for me in a veggie festival raffle. I haven't really looked at it yet!

A quick update: I saw the periontologist today. He was a really nice guy, which helped, as I didn't fancy like being patronized, etc. He laid out the dangers of lupus and pregnancy and, while I felt a bit scared, he reassured me that I'd likely enjoy a positive pregnancy. I have moved beyond the danger of increased miscarriage - they just have to watch the placenta and the heart. This means that I'll be receiving monthly ultrasounds from 24 weeks on. So, my first check up is in 3 weeks. I do feel a bit conflicted about the additional ultrasounds but there are things they can do if any problems show up (for example, if the electrical circuit around the baby's heart fails they would have to perform heart surgery immediately...).

Anyway, it is a bit frightening but I feel hopeful that all of this is just precautionary.

On a positive note, I am leaving snowy, freezing cold Maine for a week of Floridian sun on Friday!!! Very excited. I haven't been there before!

Zubee

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
#383 of 479 Old 03-04-2009, 04:58 PM

Zubee, I think those "extra" ultrasounds are pretty prudent. Try not to feel too conflicted. Big hugs to you.

My "big" u/s is tomorrow.

Now I want to buy the Skinny B!tch books and I never did before.

Been super crazy busy at work, hope things calm down soon so I can post more.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#384 of 479 Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
: Such a relief that I won't have to pay 100% out of pocket before the birth, shew!
I'm so happy that your insurance will help you! Yay! Do you have that in writing somewhere? (Dastardly insurance companies...)

I have a question.

I'm kind of a worrier anyway, but when not pregnant, I'm confident that the way I eat is fine for me. It keeps me healthy. But now I sometimes worry that my pretty dang wholesome veggie and bean and whole grain and everything else diet is somehow worse for the baby than the standard American diet. Like maybe all the meat and dairy propaganda is true and I'm growing a kid who's not really complete. Maybe I'm depriving my kid of the mysterious benefits of all these foods that I avoid for ethical reasons but that I also find mostly disgusting. Maybe all the vegan propaganda is wrong!

Every time I forget to take my vitamins or have a lot of (sprouted whole grain) bread in a day or forgo flax seed oil because the thought of it makes me gag, I get this idea in my head that these decisions are going to result in my baby being born without a head, or something equally awful/silly. It's not that I feel led to start eating dairy or meat, just that I feel compulsively concerned that I'm not being a healthy enough pregnant vegan, as if I'm suddenly nutritionally fragile and any mistake is a disaster for the next generation.

Does anyone else get these kinds of worries? What do you do with them? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

#385 of 479 Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 PM

Sky- I think it is normal to wonder if what you are doing is the right thing... esp when most everyone else is doing something totally different than you. But I PROMISE vegan pregnancies are just as healthy, and vegan kids are healthy too. My son has been vegetarian since conception and vegan since birth, and he's gotten sick twice in his 2 years, and really really easy sicknesses. His ped agrees that he is super healthy too, even though he is on the smaller-side of percentiles.

Just do what you KNOW is best, and not what everyone else tells you is best... Most people don't know what is best for themselves, and just listen to what everyone else says are the right things to eat.

#386 of 479 Old 03-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned

I just made the Moussaka with Pine Nut Cream from Veganomicon...it's the most beautiful casserole I've ever made. Last time it didn't turn out as well and it looks perfect this time. YUM
#387 of 479 Old 03-04-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I just made the Moussaka with Pine Nut Cream from Veganomicon...it's the most beautiful casserole I've ever made. Last time it didn't turn out as well and it looks perfect this time. YUM
i haven't made that, but i love the pine nut cream!

#388 of 479 Old 03-05-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Sounds awesome Talula! I don't know how you managed to cook with your severe m/s... If I try to cook something, there is no way I'm going to eat it after smelling it for so long, I can't even bring myself to taste it! wharf! But if someone else made it and I don't have to smell it for too long before eating it... that is a different story!
haha!! M/s is making me crazy!

#389 of 479 Old 03-05-2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

My vomiting seems to go in phases. I'll be fine for a few days, vomit several days straight, be fine again, ect. I actually think my last vomiting spree was the flu, because the whole family got it at the same time. My husband and kids are just now on the mend. Pretty sad when your morning sickness is so bad you don't even notice when you catch the flu!

In any case, yesterday was the first day in awhile that I hadn't thrown up at all. I already had bought the stuff (on a day when I felt better, obviously) for several recipes including the Moussaka. Eggplant goes bad pretty fast so I knew I had to get on it. I did have to stop and sit down from the queasies a few times while cooking, but I made it through thanks to some rice cakes and gatorade. After I ate I had a little bit of a tummyache but it went away thank heaven.
#390 of 479 Old 03-05-2009, 01:20 PM

Yeah, that is pretty sad to already be so sick that you didn't notice it was the flu you were contending with. So sorry. It's wonderful to hear that you are doing so much better! Every little tiny increment of being better is good, right? Worth celebrating! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page