Is there a pregnant vegans thread? If not, let's start one - Page 15 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-15-2009, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
HeatherRD Welcome! :::

I have a question to all of you who have actually been through a vaginal birth and have been allowed to eat during labor. Smoothies--nourishing or bad idea? I was thinking about something sort of fruity and tropical but not too acidic (in case it comes up later).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2009, 11:56 AM

Welcome HeatherRD, it is nice to see you here!

Catemom, I was "allowed" to eat during the last 5-6 hours of labour but I don't think I did much, I really wasn't hungry. I think we took granola bars, fruit leather, raisins etc. But all I remember ingesting was a lot if Gatorade, which I normally never drink.

Up until the last 5 or 6 hours I just ate what I normally would, meaning my last meal would have been breakfast both times so either oatmeal or cereal. Maybe toast and peanut butter (my first post-baby food too and boy was it GOOD!).

I did throw up during transistion with both babes but didn't any problem with acid.

I think a non acidic smoothie (so no citrus and no blueberries) sounds just fine.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
Old 03-16-2009, 04:12 PM

I ate Cliff bars and peanut butter on bagels during my labor, and drank LOTS of iced water !

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
Old 03-17-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherRD View Post
I'm ready to join! I'm pregnant with my first, due in November! :
Welcome!!!! :

I am currently in Victoria, B.C. and we are heading toward Vancouver tomorrow.. it's :coooold: here.. but really pretty. I'm feeling TONS of movement these days, and I am 25 weeks today!!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Hey LizzyQ, I grew up in Vancouver. L'ilgreen lives out there now (although she is from Ottawa. We pretty much switched places.

This little man is very active too. I am 21.5 weeks.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi everyone!

Ive been awol these past couple of weeks. we had a fab time in Florida, though I hurt my foot hiking the first day (a 4 mile meander turned into a 10-12 disaster ) and since I got back I have been swamped with work.

But, wow, I am 23 weeks now and I feel like a whale. I really have popped, and whilst I wish I didn't worry about the weight gain, I really am, which makes me feel a tad shallow. At 20 weeks I'd gained 7 1/2 pounds, but I think I have put on A LOT this past three weeks given the size of my tummy. Yikes, I am dreading being weighed at the Dr's. tomorrow.

How's everyone else doing? Any dr. midwife updates?

Welcome new people!

Zubee

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
Old 03-19-2009, 11:18 PM

Zubee, I have gained 10 lbs at 22 weeks which is not an outrageous amount at all.

But my belly is huge!

: here today

Old 03-20-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Hi everyone!

Ive been awol these past couple of weeks. we had a fab time in Florida, though I hurt my foot hiking the first day (a 4 mile meander turned into a 10-12 disaster ) and since I got back I have been swamped with work.

Zubee
Welcome back.. Florida sounds nice.. silly me choose to go somewhere cool and rainy for spring break :

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Hey LizzyQ, I grew up in Vancouver. L'ilgreen lives out there now (although she is from Ottawa. We pretty much switched places.
It's an awesome place to grow up! I would love to move here! I think DH liked Victoria lots more though.. more of the small town hip vibe for his taste. We're staying downtown, so maybe that's why.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:34 PM

Hi everyone... I too have been awol, but I can't blame it on some adventure (or misadventure)... I can only blame it on the mush brain syndrome.

I don't think you should worry about the weight you have put on so far... That doesn't sound like too much at all!

Eating while in labor... I did have a hb the first time and I didn't really want to eat. But my sil & mw suggested that I take a bite here and there. I think I had some Luna Bar & Bagels or toast too! I can't really remember too much of the eating part. I do remember that right before a big contraction I would get this wave of HUNGER, followed immediately by NAUSEA... but I never actually threw up. Although I really though I was going to. I did drink too. They gave me recharge. This time around, I'm going to make sure that there are some fruit Popsicle in the house. Last time I felt so overheated. I was stripped down nekked and begging for icy cold washcloths on my body and I swear, they weren't cold enough! This time around, I'm going to freeze some wet clothes too. Oh, now I'm getting distracted... Yes, something to nibble on is good, especially if you have long labors. And drink too!

OH!! I forgot! Yes!! I talked my mw into letting me come in before 12 weeks!! I went in last week and I let her do a dating u/s. I never had one of them before with DD1, so it was kind of exciting! Everything looks good, there was only one in there, and I was only one day off from my dates, according to their fancy shmancy measurement techniques... which I don't really count, so I'm still sticking to Oct. 16th :0)

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
Old 03-20-2009, 04:02 PM

Welcome back Zubee. Oh how I wish I could go on vacation to a warm place (I've been dreaming of going back to Maui...*sigh*) but I'm a little too big for that now. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrl View Post
OH!! I forgot! Yes!! I talked my mw into letting me come in before 12 weeks!! I went in last week and I let her do a dating u/s. I never had one of them before with DD1, so it was kind of exciting! Everything looks good, there was only one in there, and I was only one day off from my dates, according to their fancy shmancy measurement techniques... which I don't really count, so I'm still sticking to Oct. 16th :0)
yay! So happy for you that you got to see the baby.

I went to my mw yesterday. Everything is going great with our little bean, he is head down and ready to go. He sounds great and he has been moving like nuts! Next week the mw is coming over to see where we live in case my baby decides to make an early appearance. (Hopefully not).

Have a great day and a fabulous weekend everyone!
:

Greek vegan mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganfox View Post
Welcome back Zubee. Oh how I wish I could go on vacation to a warm place (I've been dreaming of going back to Maui...*sigh*) but I'm a little too big for that now. lol

Thanks, veganfox! It was just lovely! I posted some pics on my blog of the trip... I wish I was back there!!! I am feeling really stressed at work.. thank goodness it's only 6 weeks until the last day of teaching

CONGRATS, cinnamongrl!!! yay. I had to have an early u/s and it measured me ahead... But I am so certain of my dates so I didn't put much stock in it. So glad that you had the reassurance of seeing your lo

Thanks veganmama. I don't think I am judging my weight at all well. I had an appt. today and I was dreading the scale. I was only there 3 weeks ago and felt sure that I had gained at least 5 pounds because my tummy is HUGE. But just 1.5 pounds for a grand total of 9 pounds. Now I'm worrying I haven't put on enough It is a bit under where they want me to be, but with the continual sickness and the fact that babe is measuring perfectly, they aren't worried.

How are you doing LizzyQ

Any plans for the weekend, folks?

Zubee

Old 03-21-2009, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hello Ladies! Welcome new posters!

Zubee Your vacation pics look wonderful--I'm glad you had a chance to get away. Don't worry too much about the weight gain, I think it's more of a worry to not gain enough weight.

I was ready to plan a trip to Hawaii earlier on in my pregnancy, but some of our friends who were pg and had a similarly aged older kid at the time did that and everyone ended up having a miserable time (they said it was a huge waste of money). Sigh! Maybe we'll go when we have older kids.

Cinnamongrl Thanks for the info! I'll have to make some fruit pops and know to not be surprised if I get the hunger/nausea.

I think I'll make some fruit pops anyway, I caught a truly wretched chest cold from DS and the herbs my mw gave us help a lot (DH has it too), but make my throat really dry and sore. I'm really feeling thankful that I chose a mw who's also an herbalist, or I'd probably be on antibiotics by now.

Have a great weekend, everyone!!
Old 03-21-2009, 04:05 PM
Banned

You know you're pregnant when...

You post the lurk icon and decide randomly you really want some popcorn.

It's all I can think about now. Popcorn with lots of earth balance and some nooch on it.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:50 PM

Old 03-22-2009, 10:11 AM

Morning, everyone!

Thanks for your assurances re: weight gain. Aha, I am of course worrying I'm not gaining enough, too

We went to see a talk organized by the state's local animal coalition (my DH is on the board). The speaker was Michael Greger, MD, who has written much on human nutrition. The lecture was extremely informative (and funny!) and grounded in the latest research. Every year he does a thorough search of all research on human nutrition and distills it into a 2 hour lecture.

WOW... so many myths are out there. The amount of toxins - especially dioxins and PCB type substances - in meat and dairy make them very bad choices for pregnancy. Given that many of us have probably faced the belief that we are harming our kiddos by being vegan, his advice was so welcome: be vegan. He does work for the humane society, but he is not an 'animal person. He has done a lot of work with Colin Campbell (The CHina Study) and so is just interested in good science... which says plant based diet is the most healthy.

I was blown away by some of the research... for example, lots of people have told me I should cut down on soy during pregnancy because of the estrogen effects on a fetus (especially a male one) and YET no human study has indicated that this is the case AND, in fact, the hormones in meat HAVE BEEN proven to cause low sperm count and more in male kids whose mother eats a lot of meat during pregnancy.

Apparently chicken is one of the biggest carrier of toxins, etc (and the eggs) as well as dairy... which makes breast milk of carnivore mothers full of all sorts of unpleasant things (the toxins are at their highest level in the US as the govt allows there to be a higher bacteria count, etc in milk, as an example). Vegan breast milk, on the other hand, has extremely low levels of toxins...

Very interesting things about fish.. basically the amount of omega 3s in fish doesn't necessarily outweigh the cons of mercury content, etc. Better off getting it from algae...

For pregnant women he recommends: omega 3 from algae, vitamin D, B12, and possibly iron. IN fact he'd recommend these things for everyone.

You can get the talk on DVD. he does a lot of speaking appearances so google his name and you'll find a long list of upcoming appearances. I highly commend him. He is an excellent speaker!!

Zubee

Old 03-22-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post

It's all I can think about now. Popcorn with lots of earth balance and some nooch on it.
:

I'm feeling that sentiment!! I watched "Don't mess with the Zohan" the other night and then had a sudden craving for samosa after seeing Rob Schneider chowing down on what I thought was samosas... droooool....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Morning, everyone!
Very interesting things about fish.. basically the amount of omega 3s in fish doesn't necessarily outweigh the cons of mercury content, etc. Better off getting it from algae...

For pregnant women he recommends: omega 3 from algae, vitamin D, B12, and possibly iron. IN fact he'd recommend these things for everyone.
Zubee
That does sound like a great (REASSURING!!) speech to see! The fish oil thing always bothers me too. I mean, where do they think the fish get their omega's? Duh! Also, the whole "you have to drink/eat dairy for calcium" argument is a no go with me... The cows are 1/2 ton or more & where do they get strong bones? Uh, the grass! I heard Dr. Milton Mills (PCRM) speak last year and he gave a great example of animals and their strong bones. Moose shed/grow their antlers every year. They have about 80lbs worth of bone structure and their antlers weigh about that much as well (I think), and they get their total calcium for these bone structures from the wild grasses and plants. They don't go around with fortified milk cartons and yogurts. (that does conjure up an amusing image though)

Anyway, I do think that over consumption of the processed foods aren't doing us that much good. But an abundance and variety of the fresh fruits and veggies is what definitely sets us ahead health wise!

...guess I should stop rambling now.

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
Old 03-22-2009, 01:10 PM

Zubee- That sounded like a great speech to attend! The soy & boys thing bugs me too.. I would much rather have soy products, and give my boys soy, than the hormones, antibiotics, and other crap they give to cows.

We are finally back home.. sort of. We are "home" but will be moving the next week and a half.

Old 03-22-2009, 03:13 PM

Yeah, I always find it so weird that people think we have to drink another species' milk to get calcium and yet they are shocked that my 5 year old (yesterday!) still nurses once a day.

Um, you drink milk from a cow and your don't think that is weirder???

And you have to eat meat to have a healthy baby? Herbivores don't eat meat and their offspring seem just fine!

I am glad the science is backing us up. Not that most people will listen to it.

LizzyQ, good luck with your packing!

Old 03-22-2009, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post

Um, you drink milk from a cow and your don't think that is weirder???

Old 03-23-2009, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Good Morning!

Zubee Thanks for the great post! I never imagined that chicken would be the most polluted--interesting! I was telling DH about your post and I guess he knows him (Dr. Greger was going to Harvard while my DH was going to grad school in Boston). Anyway, I'm soooo glad someone's out there dispelling the myths about meat/dairy eating during pregnancy. I'm always when I hear about people who are frightened into eating meat/dairy by their OBs or mws when we know that the dioxins in those food items cause mutations in DNA.

Happy Monday Ladies! :
Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Banned

Ok ladies I have a confession. I have an addition. An Amy's meals addiction. Thing is, I've been so tired lately I haven't been cooking much. Hence the Amy's meals. But they're so expensive! Is there anywhere (online, anywhere?) that you can get them for cheaper? I'm going to check Costco but it has been my experience they will only have like 1 or 2 things, so not a great selection.

I still want my popcorn with nooch. I should buy some today.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Ok ladies I have a confession. I have an addition. An Amy's meals addiction. Thing is, I've been so tired lately I haven't been cooking much. Hence the Amy's meals. But they're so expensive! Is there anywhere (online, anywhere?) that you can get them for cheaper? I'm going to check Costco but it has been my experience they will only have like 1 or 2 things, so not a great selection.

I still want my popcorn with nooch. I should buy some today.
I saw them at Grocery Outlet for $2 for a meal. I was in Oregon though, and we don't have one here in SLC so I didn't buy any.

Also, if you have an Albertsons near you, we got some for 40% off.

Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
Also, if you have an Albertsons near you, we got some for 40% off.
Yep, we did too. :

Old 03-24-2009, 03:05 PM

Quote:

oh yeah? Well how about how I read about you making that eggplant zucchini moussaka casserole from Veganomicon and I HAD to have/make it right away ! (and did and now it's all gone !!)

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey View Post
oh yeah? Well how about how I read about you making that eggplant zucchini moussaka casserole from Veganomicon and I HAD to have/make it right away ! (and did and now it's all gone !!)
That recipe is DELICIOUS. And I love it when I make food like that becuase I'm the only one who eats it, so I get the whole recipe pretty much ALL TO MEHSELF. It took me a week to eat it all :
Old 03-24-2009, 03:12 PM

oops ours was gone in 2 days : Hubby AND my girls ate it, too (although I have to admit I ate more of it )

Old 03-24-2009, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleMonkey View Post
oops ours was gone in 2 days : Hubby AND my girls ate it, too (although I have to admit I ate more of it )
My kids are going through a picky phase. They are eating the worst foods fairly often and it makes me cringe. Most of the time they refuse to eat whatever I cooked, when I do cook. But they are so strong willed and it's just not a battle I want to fight. Most nights I am just like "I don't care what you eat just EAT SOMETHING!!" Lot of spaghetti and gross nonvegan boxed mac and cheese. I should make some big batches of the vegan mac and 'cheese' from FFV and freeze it so I can whip it up for the kids when I am too tired to cook. It pains me to see them eat all those artificial ingredients and dairy.

I just bought "Viva La Vegan" at the recommendation of someone here...hoping the more family style aspect of the book will improve my kids' diet.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:23 PM

the recipe for "mac and cheese" from Vegan Vittles is the one my girls go craaaazy over. We call them creamy noodles. If you have that book I would try it. Actually I just googled it online and here it is

http://veganspoonful.wordpress.com/2...ni-and-cheese/

but with beans added.

I add chopped up broccoli

basically I make it the very easy way by blending the sauce in the blender then dumping it into the drained noodles all in the same pot or big bowl and stir, then divide into a million leftovers (I make a BIG batch like more than double the recipe). My girls seriously can't get enough of this

Old 03-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Banned

My kids like the one from fatfreevegan.com, so I'll probably stick with it since I've made it a zillion times and I know it works. I've just been too lazy lately.

Looks like the site is down today but this is the recipe:

1 1/4 cups water
1 cup plain, fat-free soymilk (may use other non-dairy milk)
3/4 cup nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons cornstarch or potato starch
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
pinch cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon mellow white miso (or additional salt)
black pepper to taste

(this sauce recipe is from http://www.blog.fatfreevegan.com/)

1 lb pasta

cook pasta according to directions and drain.

combine ingredients in a blender and then pour into a pot on the stove over medium heat, cooking for about 5 minutes or until thickened. combine with pasta. that's it.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:37 PM

My kids are going through a picky phase right now too.

I won't make them a separate dinner but I don't make them eat it all.

Then an hour later I give DS raw veggies and hummus and DD raw veggies and a PBJ sandwich on whole wheat.

Thank goodness they like raw veggies!

User Tag List