Is there a pregnant vegans thread? If not, let's start one - Page 16 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#451 of 479 Old 03-24-2009, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wow that DEFINITELY looks a lot more interesting and exciting than the Vegan Vittles one! I'm gonna give that one a go next time for sure !!

Melanie, vegan mommy to twin girls born Dec. 2007, and another little girl born Sept. 25th, 2009!
#452 of 479 Old 03-24-2009, 02:48 PM

No picky eaters here (besides pg mama).. a lot of my friends are having issues with picky toddlers though.

I have my own version of vegan mac and cheese that I just whip up.. it's easy, and I just add whatever spices sound good at the time. I usually put a little bit (like 1/8th teaspoon) of garam masala in it, and it's yummy that way. I always add frozen peas to it too.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#453 of 479 Old 03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
My kids are going through a picky phase right now too.

I won't make them a separate dinner but I don't make them eat it all.

Then an hour later I give DS raw veggies and hummus and DD raw veggies and a PBJ sandwich on whole wheat.

Thank goodness they like raw veggies!
I tried that and they were actually willing to starve themselves (which made them miserable tyrants) rather than eat the offending food. Then they'd beg for whatever it was they wanted. I'm just too pregnant and grumpy and dealing with the rest of their million ridiculous demands to want to fight this particular issue.
#454 of 479 Old 03-24-2009, 06:33 PM

Hi all!

You guys are so funny! Isn't it weird, veganmama, that people find breastfeeding a little weird and then they don't think twice drinking the milk of another animal!!

These are great recipes! I'm looking forward to trying some... I am not much of a cook, though

I have my monthly ultrasound tomorrow morning. I'm a little nervous but also excited about seeing the little one.

I've had a huge growth spurt this past few weeks.. I keep getting the 'wow, you're huge' comments. Geesh. Huge is not really a weird one relishes hearing!!! I posted a pic of my ever expanding belly on my blog.

For those who have had babies before, do you remember going through a big tummy transformation around 6 months?!

Hope everyone is doing well!
Zubee

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#455 of 479 Old 03-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Hi all!

Isn't it weird, veganmama, that people find breastfeeding a little weird and then they don't think twice drinking the milk of another animal!!
I've always thought that was really weird.

And even more weird is when people ask if breastmilk is vegan...
#456 of 479 Old 03-25-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Hi all!
I've had a huge growth spurt this past few weeks.. I keep getting the 'wow, you're huge' comments. Geesh. Huge is not really a weird one relishes hearing!!! I posted a pic of my ever expanding belly on my blog.
Zubee I totally understand. I hate it when they use the word HUGE and unfortunately i started hearing it when I hit 5 and half months of my pregnancy! ggrrr My belly just popped out but then the growth was really slow.

Greek Vegan wife to a vegan hippie farmer : and mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
#457 of 479 Old 03-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Banned

I am making the most delicious dinner omg.

I am making this recipe:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2006/04...ccoli-and.html

except I didn't have portabella mushrooms (I'd like to meet the person who always has those on hand) but I did have some organic eggplant I snagged at Trader Joes (2 for $2.50!). I cubed it and sauteed it with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and 1/2 cup red wine.

I'm calling it Veggie No Fredo :

Now I just hope my minions eat it.

ETA: Oh, I finally did get my popcorn with earth balance and nooch :
#458 of 479 Old 03-27-2009, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Talula Your recipes look great! I'm going to have to make some popcorn, you've got me thinking about it too much!

I was breastfeeding my DS at a restaurant once with my sister and her 20-something friends. When I went to the bathroom, one of the guys (who didn't realize I was her sister) said to my sister, "Did you SEE that shit?!" He was apparently pretty freaked out about my breastfeeding in public. The same guy probably wouldn't have even blinked if I had ordered my son a glass of cow's milk.
#459 of 479 Old 03-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Banned

My dinner was delicious!

LOL @ people's hangups over breastfeeding in public. Props to you for doing it! I love hearing stories like that. I used to leave the table at restaurants to nurse, two kids later I don't even bother
#460 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 02:45 PM

Bump!

We're in April now.. we haven't had anyone on this thread in a week!

Watcha eatin'? How ya feelin'?

#461 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 04:08 PM

Well, I am 38 weeks today!
But Im in no hurry to get this baby out. Im still pretty comfortable, considering....
My First baby was 6 lbs 2 oz. born at 39 weeks.
I want this bun to bake a little longer, if thats what the baby wants, too.

This last week, I have been all about Tofurky+avo+sprouts+vegenaise sandwiches on whole wheat bread.

Today it isn't sounding too good.. probably because of over kill. lol! but im going to eat it anyway.

Heres a yummy "smoothie" thats packed with protein and fat for fattening up 3rd tri babies.. =)....

1 c. CHocolate Soy milk.
1 small banana
2 tbs. peanut butter
1/2 cup ice (optional)

I made it a few days ago and it was heavenly. I didn't use any ice, but next time i will... the peanut butter and banana kinda warm the soy milk, so the ice would make it colder.

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
#462 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 05:04 PM

I've graduated from this thread hehehe....

my baby boy was born (19 days late) on 3/14 at home - my second vegan pregnancy

He was 9lbs when he was born and weighed in at 11lbs 9 oz today (at 3 weeks old)...go vegan breastmilk

I've been a bit overwhelmed with caring for two, so I haven't done much cooking...but I have a couple of the Vegetarian Times nut cheeses (from the current issue) going into the oven now! I can't wait to try them! One is an Almond Feta and the other is a Cashew "goat cheese"

Megan...that smoothie sounds lovely! I may have to try one

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#463 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeAMamaMia View Post
Heres a yummy "smoothie" thats packed with protein and fat for fattening up 3rd tri babies.. =)....

1 c. CHocolate Soy milk.
1 small banana
2 tbs. peanut butter
1/2 cup ice (optional)

I made it a few days ago and it was heavenly. I didn't use any ice, but next time i will... the peanut butter and banana kinda warm the soy milk, so the ice would make it colder.
That sounds great! Maybe I will try it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by She2dancer View Post

He was 9lbs when he was born and weighed in at 11lbs 9 oz today (at 3 weeks old)...go vegan breastmilk

I've been a bit overwhelmed with caring for two, so I haven't done much cooking...but I have a couple of the Vegetarian Times nut cheeses (from the current issue) going into the oven now! I can't wait to try them! One is an Almond Feta and the other is a Cashew "goat cheese"
CONGRATS!!! :

I've wanted to try making vegan cheese, but haven't had the ambition to do it yet. Let me know how it comes out!

#464 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 05:34 PM
Banned

If you would post the recipes for the nut cheeses, I'd be eternally grateful *bats eyelashes*
#465 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
If you would post the recipes for the nut cheeses, I'd be eternally grateful *bats eyelashes*
Yeah!!!
Let us know how they turn out...

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
#466 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Well, I am 38 weeks today!
But Im in no hurry to get this baby out. Im still pretty comfortable, considering....
. . .
This last week, I have been all about Tofurky+avo+sprouts+vegenaise sandwiches on whole wheat bread.
What an exciting time for you! And that Tofurky sandwich sounds so appealing to me right now.

Quote:
Yum! I'm going to try that sometime!

My favorite smoothie lately:
1 banana
frozen berries (around a cup)
tahini (a little less than a tablespoon, sometimes much less)
2 tbs flaxseed, ground up.
sometimes a small handful of ground almonds
soy or hemp milk

Quote:

Congratulations! I'm glad all is going well!

As for me, I'm at 19.5 weeks. During the past week or so, my belly has really bloomed out, but to strangers I just look oddly plump, I think. The most exciting development of late is that I can feel the little babe moving like crazy.

And I've been a little dizzy/out of breath sometimes. I think that can be normal at this point. I'm getting plenty of iron and B12. I'm struggling to drink a lot of water, thinking it might just be blood pressure. My normal BP is pretty low (around 90-100/55-65), so I'm probably extra sensitive to blood volume issues.

LizzyQ, how are you?

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#467 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 07:45 PM

Congratulations She2dancer and ELV to you MammaMia!

I was addicted to latkes earlier in this PG. Now it is falafel.

With my DD it was Thai, DS it was Indian.

So many yummy vegan options.

We should start a recipe site! There is an easy way to do this, we did it on another board.

Oh yeah, I am getting a lot of HUGE comments too. Um, I'm 24 weeks and I've gained 13 lbs. I don't think that qualifies as HUGE. I am still wearing my pre-PG jeans, buttoned up, as I type this.

Then I get a few people who tell me I am tiny.

Why does everyone feel it necessary to comment on our size.

The other one is "how are you feeling"? Like 20 times a day.

I feel great, went for a 3 mile run today (which is true), how 'bout you? I always feel like saying but I hold my tongue. I know people are just trying to be nice but I am pregnant, not sick for goodness sakes.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#468 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 07:47 PM

I've been making PB and banana smoothies like crazy, too. Yum! I'm feeling so much better now at 18 weeks and the eating is definitely picking up

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#469 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
I know people are just trying to be nice but I am pregnant, not sick for goodness sakes.
::Congratulations She2dancer !!!!!

I'm sick and pregnant, LOL!!! Actually, FINALLY, just hit the 12 week mark yesterday and am noticing that I don't feel quite as bad! Hooray! I'm thinking, it can only get better from here on out! Aside from those oddities. Last pg I got carpel tunnel symptoms in my left hand...hoping for that to not happen this time... but whatever. It can't be nearly as bad as being sick for 2 months!

catemom!! I can't believe!!! Any day now... How exciting for you! Go for it mama!
You too WannaBeAMamaMia

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
#470 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky_and_lavender View Post
And I've been a little dizzy/out of breath sometimes. I think that can be normal at this point. I'm getting plenty of iron and B12. I'm struggling to drink a lot of water, thinking it might just be blood pressure. My normal BP is pretty low (around 90-100/55-65), so I'm probably extra sensitive to blood volume issues.

LizzyQ, how are you?
my blood pressure is always really low too, and I sometimes get a little dizzy. My iron has always been very good.

I am slowly getting better... my voice still sounds awful though, but I am not stuck on the couch anymore, and have been able to get out of the house once or twice.

#471 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
my blood pressure is always really low too, and I sometimes get a little dizzy. My iron has always been very good.
What is considered low blood pressure? Mine is consistently around 106/60. I get the dizzies a lot, but also have really good iron levels. Hmmm.

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#472 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 09:09 PM

Heya, I just noticed this thread. I'm a pregnant vegan-due at the end of September. It looks like I have 24 pages of catching up to do. Wanted to say hi!
#473 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I am slowly getting better... my voice still sounds awful though, but I am not stuck on the couch anymore, and have been able to get out of the house once or twice.
I'm glad you're healing and feeling a bit better!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrlittle View Post
What is considered low blood pressure? Mine is consistently around 106/60. I get the dizzies a lot, but also have really good iron levels. Hmmm.
I think anything under 90/60 is considered low. I took mine today when I was feeling "off" and it was 88/59, not far from my average of 95/60. I'm sure everyone is different in terms of how they respond, symptom-wise, to blood pressure variations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megame View Post
Heya, I just noticed this thread. I'm a pregnant vegan-due at the end of September. It looks like I have 24 pages of catching up to do. Wanted to say hi!
Welcome, megame! I'm due at the end of August/start of September. So you're just a little "behind" me. I hope pregnancy is treating you well!

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#474 of 479 Old 04-04-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Congrats!!! :

Greek Vegan wife to a vegan hippie farmer : and mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
#475 of 479 Old 04-05-2009, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter

Congrats She2dancer, I hope I'm not far behind!

wannabeamamamia I'm in the 38 wk. zone as well (and really uncomfortable so I'm ready for baby boy to be born). I'm really hoping he's born this week some time.

Welcome megame!

Hmmmm, I'm wondering, would anyone would like to take over and create a Pregnant Vegans Spring/Summer thread. Since I'm due to have the baby pretty soon, I'm just thinking it might be more practical to have one of you ladies with a summer/fall due date continue with this. Let me know!
#476 of 479 Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 PM

I will type out the nut cheese recipes as soon as I get a chance

They are yummy btw!!

This is the next one I am going to try (at the bottom):
http://www.rawfoodsnewsmagazine.com/...article&sid=61

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#477 of 479 Old 04-05-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post

Hmmmm, I'm wondering, would anyone would like to take over and create a Pregnant Vegans Spring/Summer thread. Since I'm due to have the baby pretty soon, I'm just thinking it might be more practical to have one of you ladies with a summer/fall due date continue with this. Let me know!
I'll do it! I was thinking it was about time.. and you are due soon!!! :

#478 of 479 Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 PM

I also have consistently low blood pressure (I think my avg. during my pregnancy was around 85ish/60ish) This pregnancy I didn't have any dizzy episodes...but I definitely did with my first...quite a few actually....

this pregnancy I started taking a magnesium supplement (natural calm) to help with my arrithmea (sp.?), but I am thinking maybe it helped with the dizziness too???

my iron is also always good..in fact most of my care providers are "surprised" it is so high given that I am vegan :sigh

#479 of 479 Old 04-05-2009, 07:35 PM

HI everyone! I just noticed a new Spring Summer vegan thread so I'll post there. But wanted to say congrats to She2dancer!!

And, wow, those shake recipes sound yummy! I've been doing the following:

Soy or hemp milk
Hemp protein powder (I've had major protein aversions so this has helped)
Half frozen banana
flaxseed
ice

It's really good!

Zubee

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page