Is there a pregnant vegans thread? If not, let's start one - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 479 Old 12-22-2008, 01:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am pretty sure that whole foods would carry hemp seeds. I got mine through a local co-op, but I think they are either Manitoba Harvest or Living Hemp...both brands which WF carries.... HTH!

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 of 479 Old 12-22-2008, 11:03 AM

I buy my hemp seeds at either a natural foods co-op or whole foods. I think the brand I buy is Nutiva or Nutriva. If you don't see them out you might check the refridgerated section where they keep the flax oil, etc. I know they aren't refridgerated at the natural foods coop but I can't remember if they are at whole foods.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#123 of 479 Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM

I'm going to look for the hemp seeds at Whole Foods--hope to get there after work today!
#124 of 479 Old 12-24-2008, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays pregnant vegans/veggies/etc.! :::
#125 of 479 Old 12-30-2008, 05:37 PM

Happy new year Mommas!! I'm so sick of all the holiday junk that's been around that i find myself gravitating back to a lot of raw foods the past few days. It feels so good to just eat fresh, wholesome food!

I'd like to make some meals to bring to couples from my birth class that just delivered. But I don't cook for people often and they arent all veg (a few are). I have no idea what to make! Can anyone point me in the direction of some easy recipes that go over well with omnivores or that you think new parents would appreciate? Thanks!

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#126 of 479 Old 12-30-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post

I'd like to make some meals to bring to couples from my birth class that just delivered. But I don't cook for people often and they arent all veg (a few are). I have no idea what to make! Can anyone point me in the direction of some easy recipes that go over well with omnivores or that you think new parents would appreciate? Thanks!

Cindy
I think pasta is usually omni-friendly.. maybe a lasagna or a pesto?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#127 of 479 Old 01-02-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Hi All!

I was inspired to make some baked goods over Christmas since DH was off the whole time and we all had breakfast together. The glazed orange and hazelnut scone recipes from VWaV are fantastic (and I subbed mostly whole wheat pastry flour). I also messed around with regular grocery store puff pastry and found that it made a very easy and passable blueberry streudel (was a little doughy on the bottom though).

Is anyone else getting hammered with colds? I am on my fourth cold since October. I think I had maybe ONE cold last time. I'm going back on probiotics to help my immune system out a little, especially since I've been indulging in so many sweets lately.

How are you all doing? I hope all is well!
#128 of 479 Old 01-04-2009, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter

Okay vegans,

What do you all think about eating one's own placenta. I have to say that it really grosses me out, but I know that many animals eat their own placentas and am wondering if it's a good idea since we feel so depleted after birth. If I did eat my placenta, I'd just add a chunk of it to a smoothie or something rather than cooking some elaborate dish with it.

Anyway, please share opinions and experience in this area.
#129 of 479 Old 01-04-2009, 01:46 PM

I don't think I could eat a chunk of it or put it in a smoothie for the same reason I can't eat meat - the thought is too overhwlemingly gross to me. Not that I have any moral issues against eating it. That said, I do plan on having a lady at my birth center freeze dry it into capsules that I will take. Not sure how long you take the capsules but they are supposed to help with post partum depression. Another person at the center will make it into a tincuture if you want and supposedly you are supposed to save that until you begin menopause. The tincture sounds too gross to me too - it is basically placenta infused oil.

Cindy

#130 of 479 Old 01-04-2009, 04:02 PM

I would be more open to taking it in capsules than eating it in chunks or smoothies. But I don't know if there is anyone locally who would do that.

I really want to plant it with a tree though. I wanted to with Sebastian's, but the hossy took it away when I asked for it (I was a birth center transfer for his birth).

#131 of 479 Old 01-05-2009, 12:00 PM

We saved both our previous placentas to plant under a tree. They are still in the freezer. We need to redo our front porch (we might pull it off and build a new one) before we plant a tree in the front yard.

I had not heard of eating your placenta before last year but I have to say I am intrigued. I had heard that it not only helped with PPD but also most women bled less. Since I bled for 6 mweeks PP with both children I am very interested in this aspect.

I don't know if I could do the smootie. I am seeing my midwife for the first time tomorrow. She is new to me, the woman who was my midwife for both my kids is no longer there. I will ask her if she knows anyone here who will do the freeze dried capsules.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#132 of 479 Old 01-05-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for the freeze-dried capsule idea--although I think I still might have to gag the capsules down (and do they make you burp "placenta flavor" later?). I talked to my DH about it (who is also a vegan, BTW) and he says he'll support me by eating it right along with me if I decided to do it (I love that he's so fearless and non-squeamish about this ). Anyway, I told him thanks but it would almost seem more gross if he ate it too.
#133 of 479 Old 01-05-2009, 01:30 PM

Wow - you have one brave DH! That reminds me though - one couple at our birth class told about a couple they were friends with that cooked up elaborate meals of placenta after both babies were born and invited their friends to partake. The couple in my class chose to skip the meal, but I do think some others actually tried it! That's a bit wierd if you ask me...but to each their own. I also recall a woman on a blog I read that was mostly raw vegan through her pregnancy and she ate some placenta in chunks and smoothies right after she delivered - but then after about a day it became gross to her. But right after labor her body seemed to want it.

Cindy

#134 of 479 Old 01-05-2009, 03:25 PM

I'm vegan and plan to have a placenta smoothie. Studies show it helps prevent postpartum depression and I'm all for prevention of that. Like life isn't hard enough with a newborn.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#135 of 479 Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM

Hey fellow vegans,
Im only in my 6th week but I was wondering when I should start to take some DHA supplements and which ones.
I've read about the V-Pure, and they sound pretty good. Any ideas / experiences would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
#136 of 479 Old 01-05-2009, 06:18 PM

Welcome Carolyn. Congrats! You can start taking the DHA now. I take Deva brand omega-3 DHA. It has an enteric coating so it doesn't make you burp at all. I was taking omega zen but I kept having fishy burps (even though it is vegan) - so not cool when you are nauseous already! Whatever you get, make sure it has the enteric coating!

Cindy

#137 of 479 Old 01-06-2009, 12:54 PM

Thank you!
I will start looking for that brand, is it available in stores, or online only?

Carolyn, married to M, momma to K (09/'09) and C (04/'12).
#138 of 479 Old 01-06-2009, 01:05 PM

I'm not sure if you can find it in stores. I ordered online.

Cindy

#139 of 479 Old 01-06-2009, 01:54 PM

I think *some* stores have it.. but not all. It depends on the store.

I'm not taking DHA... is that really bad? I didn't ever take any with Sebastian, and he is super smart!

#140 of 479 Old 01-06-2009, 05:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the discussion on placenta eating, I appreciate hearing what everyone's doing or planning to do.

Vegan Princess Wow! The placenta dinner party is just WAY over the top. I think I might actually pass out if I unwittingly attended such a gathering.

Carolyn I second the idea of taking a DHA supplement (starting now) with no fish burp after effects. You could also take flax oil by the tablespoon if you can stand it, or just eat lots of heathy fats in the right balance.

LizzyQ I think if you're able to eat foods that help you make DHA, then no worries. I actually have DHA in my prenatals, eat foods with omega-3s (pumpkin seeds, walnuts, olive oil) , and the soymilk we drink so I think we're covered there.
#141 of 479 Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Wow - you have one brave DH! That reminds me though - one couple at our birth class told about a couple they were friends with that cooked up elaborate meals of placenta after both babies were born and invited their friends to partake. The couple in my class chose to skip the meal, but I do think some others actually tried it! That's a bit wierd if you ask me...but to each their own. I also recall a woman on a blog I read that was mostly raw vegan through her pregnancy and she ate some placenta in chunks and smoothies right after she delivered - but then after about a day it became gross to her. But right after labor her body seemed to want it.

Cindy
I saw something on a TV show a long time ago that the couple had a placenta dinner party.. it was somewhere in England. I thought it was way weird at the time.. and I still get squeemish thinking about placenta eating.

#142 of 479 Old 01-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
LizzyQ I think if you're able to eat foods that help you make DHA, then no worries. I actually have DHA in my prenatals, eat foods with omega-3s (pumpkin seeds, walnuts, olive oil) , and the soymilk we drink so I think we're covered there.
We do all those things.. I eat a lot of flax too. I add it to my waffles, french toast, muffins, pancakes and granola.

#143 of 479 Old 01-07-2009, 01:54 AM

LizzyQ I'm not sure but I think you damage the omegas when you cook flax. I could be wrong though. Hemp seeds are a great source of DHA.

Cindy

#144 of 479 Old 01-07-2009, 02:22 AM

Quote:
LizzyQ I'm not sure but I think you damage the omegas when you cook flax. I could be wrong though. Hemp seeds are a great source of DHA.

Cindy
I'll look into that

#145 of 479 Old 01-07-2009, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

VeganPrincess Yes, I think you're right. The omega-3s are only beneficial if not damaged by heat.

Maybe put flax/walnut/olive oil in a salad dressing, put flax meal, ground hemp seeds, or raw nuts in cold cereal (or on top of already cooked oatmeal right before you eat it), or salads, or make a little fresh hemp milk for yourself every day. Any of those fats might be nice in a smoothie. Make sure to avoid hydrogenated fats, they somehow interfere with your body's production of DHA. Hope those ideas help!

Here's a muesli recipe I adapted from "Raising Vegetarian Children": Put 3/4 c. rolled oats, 2-3 tbsp. chopped dried apricots, 2 tbsp. or more raw pumpkin seeds, 1/4 tsp. cinnamon, finely chopped walnuts or flax seeds to taste, and 1 cup sweetened hemp/soy/? milk in a container, stir it around, and put in the fridge the night before you intend to eat it.
#146 of 479 Old 01-08-2009, 12:11 PM

I am having such a hard time eating well. First I am too tired to cook when I get home. Secondly, veggies make me sick right now. I am trying to eat fruit to compensate.
Normally I am a 10 servings of fruit&veg a day girl.

I have been eating a lot of canned beans on toast. Or black beans over brown rice with mango salsa.

I dont really expect any advce, I guess I just wanted to vent.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#147 of 479 Old 01-08-2009, 12:32 PM

Veganmamma: You are doing really well for being in the first tri! At least you're getting in lots of fruit and protein. I don't think many people can stomach veggies then. The idea of eating a vegetable made my stomach knot up back then!

For those of you struggling with what you can and can't eat in the first tri: my midwife told me it didn't matter what I ate then bc the baby was so small. Just to eat whatever I could manage. That the baby will take what it needs from you no matter what - it's really only once the baby gets bigger that it matters so much that you get proper nutrition.

DH and I had our physicals for life insurance last night. DH is 15 lbs heavier than he thought he was and his blood pressure was normal but could have been lower - the guy said it will go down if he loses weight. DH was really distraught all evening but I'm hoping maybe it will spurr him to give up some of the crappy food he eats! He's been eating worse these days bc my eating has changed - and I've got no energy anymore to make things. I have to say he's been awesome though - making me recipes from my vegan and even raw vegan books when I planned on making something but then didn't feel up to it. Nice big salads or sauteed greens taste so much better when someone else makes them for you! LOL!

Cindy

#148 of 479 Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry about the ms, Veganmama
#149 of 479 Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 AM

can i join you guys?

i've had my eye on this thread but i wanted to make sure this pg was sticking before i joined. i'm almost 14 weeks and heard the heartbeat so i think i'm good.

i have been vegan for years but this will be the first pg that i don't cheat on non-vegan foods. i crave the most awful fast foods and cheesy things but i'm not giving in this time!

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#150 of 479 Old 01-10-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmom View Post
can i join you guys?

i've had my eye on this thread but i wanted to make sure this pg was sticking before i joined. i'm almost 14 weeks and heard the heartbeat so i think i'm good.

i have been vegan for years but this will be the first pg that i don't cheat on non-vegan foods. i crave the most awful fast foods and cheesy things but i'm not giving in this time!
COngrats!!!

My last PG broke my veganism too... I ate lots of cheese.... This time I am eating cheese again.. I'm not beating myself up about it.

I wish you the best vegan pregnancy!! You can do it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page