Is there a pregnant vegans thread? If not, let's start one - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 479 Old 01-18-2009, 02:54 PM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The whole grains don't stay down very well. Whole grain bread especially, I can forget about it. Which is weird considering I can keep down seitan ok, but I guess that isn't really a whole grain either.
#182 of 479 Old 01-18-2009, 03:51 PM

Thanks for the recipe Talula!!!

Food ideas.. carbs helped me a lot too.. can you do beans and rice? That is protein packed and can be as bland as you want it.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#183 of 479 Old 01-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Banned

Why did I not think of beans and rice? Duh. Yeah, I can try that. I've had good luck with rice so far.
#184 of 479 Old 01-19-2009, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliaaaah View Post
For pizzas, my favorite recipe for cheese is roughly:

2 tablespoons chickpea miso (or any miso, I suppose)
3 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon lemon juice (though i usually use lime)
5-6 tablespoons water
lots of nutritional yeast, usually 3 tablespoons
sometimes also a teaspoon or so of kelp powder
sometimes 1/4 cup of finely ground cashews

I whisk it up, and spread on the pizza. mmm. lots of stealthy nutririon! it's also great as a cooking sauce or for macaroni.
Juliah thank you! Wonderful recipe !

Greek vegan mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
#185 of 479 Old 01-19-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Can anyone give me ideas on healthy vegan food I can keep down? I know everyone is different but what worked best for you? What's the best way to get a little protien in my system that will stay down? I seem to do ohkay with seitan, tofu not as much.
Hope you feel better soon Talula.

Didn't throw up in earlier pregnancy but I did have difficulty to get something in my mouth. I had major food aversions to things i loved to eat before. So i stuck to whole wheat bread with soy cheeze or avocado (my DH made grilled cheeze for me) and lots of brown rice with sauted mushrooms...That's all I could bear.

As said previously, don't worry too much because the baby at this point will take all s/he needs. Relax and breathe.

#186 of 479 Old 01-19-2009, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Talula Sorry about the ms, I wish I knew what would help. I had a little ms this time, but it was never the same thing that made me nauseated from day-to-day (except for the smell of the tomato plants in my garden and car exhaust). Keep trying different things and then maybe you'll find something that stays down. Oh, I read about your home birth financing problem--is there a mw who will agree to allow you to do or make something for her in lieu of payment? Maybe you could prepare some herbal medicines or teas for her, or do some office work of some kind.

So, we "cheated" last night and had some very rich non-vegan cake after our vegan dinners. I forgot to bring some lactaid for DS, and now he has the runs (and I'm not feeling particularly fabulous myself). I think we're going to have to put this restaurant on our "very occasional" list--my poor little guy is too little to understand that for him, eating dairy-laden chocolate cake is like taking ex-lax, and the dessert case is the first thing one sees upon walking into the restaurant. I just don't understand why it's so difficult for this restaurant to offer even ONE vegan dessert (after all, they offer several vegan entrees). :

Speaking of GI illness, are any of you affected by the peanut butter recall. DS had no school today, so I took him to a museum and then to a bagel place for lunch. This place is still serving pb, and they didn't have any hummus (, so I figured the pb has got to be better than giving him more dairy.

Happy MLK Jr. Day, ladies! :
#187 of 479 Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM

I found out about the PB recall today from my m/w. I just looked it up, and it looks like it's only in things that have PB in them: PB crackers, icecream, cookies, etc. So, our jars of organic PB should be just fine

I had a mw appt today, and it went well.. everything looks good. We tried to take a peak with her u/s to see if we could tell the gender, but we couldn't.. 2 more weeks!

I bought a bunch of CDs from a website going out of business.. they are going pretty fast, but if you can find anything left, here is the website:

http://keenbambino.com/

And I bought some Blueberry AIOs on DS- 8 of them for $5 each, plus cheap inserts (I think 9 for $5)... So.. here is my stash so far:

1 Happy Heinies SM AIO
6 kissaluvs size 1 fitteds
12 Preemie Prefolds
18 Infant PFs (to add to the 10 or so I already have)
3 BSWW NB covers
4 Thirsties SM covers
8 SM blueberry AIOs
9 BG NB inserts

And I have a few random things here at home.. one recycled wool cover, 2 SM mama-made fitteds, one bamboo BG fitted.

All for less than $200!

ETA: I also just got a small lot of NB items from DS: 2 fleece longies, soaker/shirt set, another wool soaker (recycled), shorties, and 2 covers (Still under $200)

I have to be done buying diapers now.. I have to save something for my friends and family to buy (most everyone I know CDs).

#188 of 479 Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 PM
Banned

I checked the PB recall too and my PB brand (the Whole Foods 365 brand) wasn't on it.

I only ever had one thing recalled that I bought. It was a jar of tahini sauce. I always meant to get a refund and never did. I should have, it was like a $5 bottle.
#189 of 479 Old 01-24-2009, 04:53 PM

ok vegan mamas....Question. Does any of you worry about excess soy intake? I realize I'm eating lots of soy in the forms of soy milk and tofu mainly. What are your opinions? I just find it easy to get my protein from soy and I use the enriched soy milk as my main calcium source....

#190 of 479 Old 01-24-2009, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

veganfox With pregnancy #1, I did not limit soy (my favorite snack in the 1st tri. was a clif bar), consumed soymilk in cereal and tea, and ate tofu at least once a week, and my little boy is fine, growing well, smart, and healthy (and he's all boy too, if that's what you're worried about). This time I'm trying to diversify my protein a little more by eating bean and lentil dishes and other non-soy vegan proteins more often. If it makes you feel any better, I came across an article that discussed how soy phytoestrogens block cell receptors for xenoestrogens (the ones in chemicals that are definitely bad for you). I'll have to re-look that one up, it's a good one. Honestly, I'd be more worried about the xenoestrogens than natural plant estrogens.
#191 of 479 Old 01-24-2009, 05:41 PM

I didn't limit my soy intake either, and have a healthy all-boy too. I think esp soymilk and tofu would be fine.. it's all the super processed stuff that I'm more worried about (soy or not).

#192 of 479 Old 01-24-2009, 07:31 PM

My midwife told me to limit my soy to 1 or 2 servings/day. I try and stay away from it for the most part anyway though. I do eat it just not that often. I don't know how much faith I have in my midwife's dietary advice though anyhow. She tried to tell me I need to consume cholesterol for baby brain development and that I wouldn't be getting it by being vegan. I know your body makes its own - so just a point when she was wrong. I'd say to try and limit the super processed soy foods and eat more of the more natural ones.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#193 of 479 Old 01-24-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
My midwife told me to limit my soy to 1 or 2 servings/day. I try and stay away from it for the most part anyway though. I do eat it just not that often. I don't know how much faith I have in my midwife's dietary advice though anyhow. She tried to tell me I need to consume cholesterol for baby brain development and that I wouldn't be getting it by being vegan. I know your body makes its own - so just a point when she was wrong. I'd say to try and limit the super processed soy foods and eat more of the more natural ones.

Cindy
There is a difference between good cholesterol (from seeds, oils and nuts) and bad cholesterol (from meat, fish and dairy).. I am sure you are getting plenty of the good stuff!

#194 of 479 Old 01-24-2009, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I've not been limiting it too much. To my mind dairy and meat are far more problematic... But I have been trying to diversify what I eat. Since I have major aversions to almost all protein sources (especially beans...) I bought some protein powder in the form of hemp and rice powder.

My nutritionist and integrative MD reassured me that soy was absolutely fine - especially the less processed stuff (which is what I've mainly been consuming).

As for the cholesterol: the nutritionist did mention this to me but was not concerned AT ALL that I was vegan. Coconut milk, for instance, is an excellent source. I had some curry with coconut milk the other day... and of course there are many other nuts and seeds with the good stuff

Zubee

jog.gif   mama to DS 7/09 and married to DH bikenew.gif

#195 of 479 Old 01-25-2009, 11:51 PM

lizzyq, that is an awesome diaper stash! i so need to get sewing again. my stash is not near big enough.

veganfox, i do not worry about soy at all. i have a hard enough time avoiding all animal foods and trying to minimize sugar and junk that i just don't need one more thing to worry about, yk?

i am making the yummiest pizza tonight! homemade pizza crust with yves veggie pepperoni and follow your heart vegan cheese. i have NEVER used this cheese before and it's so good melted. yum, satisfies the dairy cravings so well!!!:

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#196 of 479 Old 01-26-2009, 03:25 PM

Hi everyone. Why is it that I hate food at the moment, have only gained 1 lbs and still look like I am 5 months PG?

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
#197 of 479 Old 01-26-2009, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Hi everyone. Why is it that I hate food at the moment, have only gained 1 lbs and still look like I am 5 months PG?
I wish I knew.. I look 6 month PG and am only 18 weeks!

I've been going a little crazy with getting a NB stash together.. too many good deals out there! I've also got some Med AIOs for DS (my cute little guy!) because most of his are on their last leg... New baby will be able to grow into the newer ones I got for DS, hopefully.

I think I've spent almost $400 and should be just about complete.. so 2 years of diapering for $400 isn't bad, IMO.

#198 of 479 Old 01-26-2009, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all!

Calmom I just made some pizza last night with the Follow Your Heart "cheese." we love it and so does my picky 3yo. It's always nice to make your own pizza and then you know what's really in it!

LizzyQ I have not even looked through my dipes to see what's still good or not. Where did you look for the good deals on dipes?
#199 of 479 Old 01-26-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
Hi all!

LizzyQ I have not even looked through my dipes to see what's still good or not. Where did you look for the good deals on dipes?
there was an online store going out of business that I got a lot.. there are a few outlet stores on hyena cart that I found (thirsties, ImseVimse), and the rest are used from Diaperswappers.

Here is a list of my stash that doesn't include the ones DS is currently in.

I'm a total CD nerd.. i look at that list all the time trying to figure out what I can/should add to it

#200 of 479 Old 01-26-2009, 04:19 PM

Speaking of CDing.. what is your position on wool as vegans? I have several wool longies and covers, and got some more for really super cheap, and I do use lanolin for them (I get free samples at work), though I don't use it on my nipples.

#201 of 479 Old 01-26-2009, 04:34 PM

For me I am not picky about buying wool products to wear, etc. However I don't love the idea of Lasinoh so I bought some Earth Mama nipple cream to use. I don't like the idea of my baby eating something made from wool.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#202 of 479 Old 01-26-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I have used and loved Fuzzi Bunz pocket dipes, and didn't really try the wool kind bc I thought they'd be hard to take care of. I guess if DS had been sensitive to the polar fleece, I'd have tried some natural fiber dipes (cotton, wool, etc.). I do use hemp inserts, though, bc they are trim and work great. I used lansinoh last time bc I think one of the breastfeeding books said it was the only "safe" one to use (ha!--and I believed them!), but this time I'm going to use something else for sure, it does seem really wrong to put that stuff in your newborn baby's mouth.
#203 of 479 Old 01-26-2009, 06:22 PM

i don't use wool products. i used to but as the years go by, i get stricter and stricter.

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#204 of 479 Old 01-27-2009, 12:04 PM

I am a cloth diaper nerd too. My littlest has been out of diapers for 2 years now so the obsession has waned a bit. For 12 months I had 2 in cloth dipes.

Most of mine are prefolds, for newborns and as doublers later, and then Mother-Ease One-Size for once they are past 10 pounds. I do have a couple of wool covers (Aristocrats) and longies (made by my mom) from before I was vegan. My DS was a huge night wetter and they were the only thing that worked. I have a tube of Lansinoh left too which I will use on the covers but probbaly not on my nipples.

I am also a sling nerd. I have 3 and covet many many more.

I am also still nursing my DS who will be 5 in March. Once a day. He seems to have no intention of giving it up. The time has shortened rcently though, I guess my supply msut be down with the PG. He's less than a minute on each side.

My DH laughs at me and says I am clearly the crunchiest stockbroker on the planet. I am sure he is right!

#205 of 479 Old 01-27-2009, 12:13 PM

Veganmama: Crunchiest stockbroker - I love it! I work in research at an investment bank - I often feel like my personal values are so absurd to my co-workers. There isn't but 1 single person in my office who didn't freak over the idea of a natural birth even! Anyway, nice to see a woman in finance who manages to have multiple children!

I'm back on my green smoothie kick. My jaw is still not back to normal so I figure i need to get my greens in somehow!

Cindy

#206 of 479 Old 01-27-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
I used lansinoh last time bc I think one of the breastfeeding books said it was the only "safe" one to use (ha!--and I believed them!), but this time I'm going to use something else for sure, it does seem really wrong to put that stuff in your newborn baby's mouth.
I used olive oil last time, from the advice of the LC

#207 of 479 Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 PM

Cindy, can you tell me about your green smoothies? I've been wanting to try them but they sound so... unappealing.

i'm very pleased that as the weeks go by, my dairy cravings are subsiding. massive amounts of fruit and exercise are working, i guess.

Christie

#208 of 479 Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 PM

Calmom: Green smoothies are super easy. I always use spinach since I find it to be the most mild tasting - you can experiment with kale, romaine, etc. I use about 3 big handfuls of greens. I usually use 1-1.5 cups water as my base but lately I have been using fresh squeezed oj (I can't get enough citrus!). I always put a banana in my smoothies and then usually one other fruit - almost anything works - I don't care for apples at all though. Frozen fruit is great to use right now. This morning I added frozen cherries. Sometimes I use a couple oranges if I'm using water as the base. I also like to add a few tbsp of hemp seeds. It's hard to go wrong. I feel good knowing I'm getting my greens in for the day - then I don't feel bad if I don't eat a salad later in the day. Don't worry - the fruit (and especially if you use oj) masks the taste of the greens.

Cindy

#209 of 479 Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Princess View Post
Veganmama: Crunchiest stockbroker - I love it! I work in research at an investment bank - I often feel like my personal values are so absurd to my co-workers. There isn't but 1 single person in my office who didn't freak over the idea of a natural birth even! Anyway, nice to see a woman in finance who manages to have multiple children!
Oh Vegan Princess, it sounds like we work in very similar places!

As far as me "managing" to have multiple children, it is tough. I can't lie abotu that. My profession is not very supportive. It's just not structured that way because there are so few women. I actually believe I might be the only female stockbroker in Canada to have 3 children while in the business. A dubious disctinction.

But I figure, when I am 90 and have my 3 children and hopefully lots of grandchildren, I am not going to care that I made my work life even more difficult for a few more years.

#210 of 479 Old 01-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Banned

I don't even work and I'm worried about the load of three kids! I heard the transition from two to three is hard. Although honestly, I can't think of anything harder than having your second baby when your first is a little over a year old. Now THAT was really freakin' hard.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page