Is there a pregnant vegans thread? If not, let's start one - Page 9 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-02-2009, 04:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome m2b and congrats on your pregnancy! Twins! How exciting!

Greek vegan mama to an amazing little bean born in May 2009.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 09:20 PM

Hello everyone, can i join? I was part of the vegans ttc tribe and now I am 5 weeks pg with #2! I am so excited! I have been vegan for several years now, vegetarian since I was 10. Last pregnancy I had cravings for cheese and eventually relented,but quickly went right off in two weeks before DD came along..it was weird! So far no cravings except for ginger tea to help with a bit of nausea.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:10 PM

Congrats Grahnola Mum!! Looks like that spotting was implantation, huh? Yay!! :

In my news...
It's a BOY!!!

I'm going to be outnumbered!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 02-03-2009, 01:21 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Mummytobe and Grahnola Mom! It's great to see some more posters from the vegans ttc thread coming on over. I hope some of our long-timers from over there join us soon!

LizzyQ Congrats on another boy! I'll be having boy #2 also. I'm trying to think of ways I can maintain some "girliness" around the house in case we don't ever have a girl.
Old 02-03-2009, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post

LizzyQ Congrats on another boy! I'll be having boy #2 also. I'm trying to think of ways I can maintain some "girliness" around the house in case we don't ever have a girl.
DH and I talked about getting a girl cat and a girl dog eventually, and MAYBE adopting a girl someday in the future (We would "try" for a girl by accident only, lol).

Old 02-04-2009, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

LizzyQ Yeah, we've really been thinking about adoption for #3, since it's a sure way of getting a girl. I think we're going to see how we feel when baby #2 is six months old or so.
Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 PM

Catemom- Don't forget.. having a house full of boys is a great excuse to have girls night outs!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, yes, I think I remember girls nights out. If there are margaritas involved, it sounds good to me!

I am posting because it looks like there is yet another vegan coming from the ttc side. :::
Old 02-05-2009, 01:07 PM

Bumping this up so the newbie from the TTC thread can find us. :

Congrats on your BOY Lizzy Q!!! I think it is nice when close age siblings are the same gender. Mine are 20 months apart, and other than board games, they really don't enjoy playing the same things.

Hi grahnola, so nice to see you here!

I am craving latkes!!! Like, desperately. Yesterday I was increasingly sick all day (forgot to take my ms meds the night before) and couldn't eat anything after 2 pm. At 9 pm, on our way home from somewhere DH stopped at a bagel place ond got me some latkes which I reheated at home (not as good) but at least I was able to get something down before bed!

First baby I only wanted to eat Thai (I was super sick with her).
Second baby (I wasn't sick with him), my favourite was Indian.
Third baby (only sick if I don't take my meds): LATKES!

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09
Old 02-07-2009, 05:51 PM

Hello veganmama719, catemom, LizzyQ, Grahnola Mum & all other mama's!! I finally found my way here from the vegans TTC. (

I'm getting conflicting due dates -10/15, 10/17,which probably won't matter since I'll probably be late anyway... lol!

How are you doing ladies?
I'm still at the beginning, 4 weeks today. So far just
ÜBER SUPER DUPER SERIOUSLY INTENSELY HUNGRY,
a bit nauseous here and there, tired, bloated (joy) & oddly, only one boob is sore so far- what is that about? Weird...

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
Old 02-07-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
I am posting because it looks like there is yet another vegan coming from the ttc side. :::

are you talking about me?!! YAY!

Yeah, I'm so going to miss those frosty margarita's on the deck this summer... but I'm not complaining!

: totally in love , vegan & mountain dwelling mama to my girls ❤ 5.2003 & 10.2009 ❤
Old 02-07-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganmama719 View Post
Bumping this up so the newbie from the TTC thread can find us. :

Congrats on your BOY Lizzy Q!!! I think it is nice when close age siblings are the same gender. Mine are 20 months apart, and other than board games, they really don't enjoy playing the same things.
You 2 are too cute! Thanks!!

Ditto the congrats on the boy!! Anyone else have a "feeling" about who's in there?

With my first, I had a very pink dream and woke up thinking GIRL! And she is of course :0)

Old 02-07-2009, 07:47 PM

I thought FOR SURE it was a girl! And so did EVERYONE else! So.. I don't trust my intuition about the gender of my own babies (I thought Seb was a girl too!).

Glad you found us Cinnamon!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:38 PM

cinnamongrl- congrats!
Does your screen-name have anything to do with Type O negative?

aka: wannabeamamamia
SLC vegan mom to 2 boys- &
Old 02-07-2009, 11:55 PM

I thought for sure I was having a boy and she is most definitely a girl. :-)

Now that I've had my baby my non-vegan cravings and sweet cravings have gone away. Maybe it's the temporary decrease in apetite after giving birth that i read about somewhere or maybe it's the fact that I have almost no time to eat but I have definitely been reaching for the healthy food and vegan food. I still have a bit of dairy in my diet but I'm pretty confident I will go back to being 100% vegan. Right now I'm having some milk supply issues so I am afraid to make the complete switch right now.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

Old 02-08-2009, 12:32 AM

Cindy- I still had sweet cravings after having Seb, but I wasn't very hungry for about a week... then I was ravenous and could eat anything (veg) in site!

Hope your supply issues get better.. the best thing to do is nurse, nurse, nurse!

Old 02-08-2009, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeAMamaMia View Post
cinnamongrl- congrats!
Does your screen-name have anything to do with Type O negative?
Thanks!
Nope, It's Neil Young.
(am I allowed to post youtube link there?)
Type O -? I'm going to youtube that now...

Old 02-08-2009, 01:18 PM

Thanks for the welcome mamas, I am stoked to be here and it's so nice to see a lot of familiar TTC faces - :

I'm having wicked cravings for chocolate, cheese and yoghurt (not together mind you!!) and not the soy varities either. I find it super hard when this happens and feel very guilty and frustrated if I indulge - does anyone else feel like this?

Old 02-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahnola Mum View Post
Thanks for the welcome mamas, I am stoked to be here and it's so nice to see a lot of familiar TTC faces - :

I'm having wicked cravings for chocolate, cheese and yoghurt (not together mind you!!) and not the soy varities either. I find it super hard when this happens and feel very guilty and frustrated if I indulge - does anyone else feel like this?
I crave cheese sometimes.. but I'm not being too strict about dairy either.. I indulge everyonce in a while

Old 02-08-2009, 09:18 PM

Hi fellow vegans! I posted a little on the TTC Vegan thread, but wasn't there long because I got my BFP really fast!

My name is Melissa and my EDD is Oct 7th. We are extra surprised because it took 5 years and 2 rounds of clomid before getting a BFP with #2 and this time it happened naturally, no meds and 1st cycle trying!

Congrats Mama's! I look forward to getting to know all of you.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Hi Mama, in my first trimester I did crave dairy and things with dairy in them. I ate a bit of cheese and ice-cream but was pretty sick with it. Those cravings have gone.. I did feel quite a bit of guilt over it, but told myself that as soon as I could eat normally (MAJOR food aversions) I wouldn't eat any animal products. My vegan dh joined me so that I wouldn't feel quite so guilty.

btw, are you in the UK? (I noted the spelling). I'm an English transplant living in the States!

Zubee

mama to DS 7/09 and DS 10/12 and married to DH
Old 02-09-2009, 02:10 AM

Hey mama zubee,

Yes, I'm a Brit living in Canada How do you like the US? I love it here in Canada but I do get homesick quite a bit.

With DD I craved lots of dairy and went right off soy milk for a while. I was worried about craving meat but fortunately it didn't happen. This time around it's happened a lot sooner. I know I'll get back on track pp, but it still bugs me. Oh well. DH is not much help on that front as although he is eats mainly vegetarian ( my cooking) he does eat meat occaisonally. He likes teasing me about my cravings too. It is kinda funny I guess

Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post
Hi Mama, in my first trimester I did crave dairy and things with dairy in them. I ate a bit of cheese and ice-cream but was pretty sick with it. Those cravings have gone.. I did feel quite a bit of guilt over it, but told myself that as soon as I could eat normally (MAJOR food aversions) I wouldn't eat any animal products. My vegan dh joined me so that I wouldn't feel quite so guilty.

btw, are you in the UK? (I noted the spelling). I'm an English transplant living in the States!

Zubee
It was the same with me during my last pregnancy. Those cravings can get so intense! LOL! I caved a few times and DH caved right along with me. My major ones were ice cream(soy wouldn't do) and mac and cheese, but I did make sure to get Annie's brand that contained no rennet or any of that other yucky stuff. I hope I can stay away from all of that this time around.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zubeldia View Post

Zubee
Hey ditto, I craved fish though, and I tried eggs and cheese once and they tasted awful. I've had quite a bit of fish in my first trimester, but I've gotten over feeling guilty about it and am moving on. I am vegan for health benefits, and I'm just glad my body didn't crave anything worse (like red meat...

I'm back to being vegan for the past 3 weeks and feel good...I'm nearly out of my first trimester. It's been really tough in general; I started out 100% raw vegan and after a month I was surprised that nothing raw/healthy sounded edible. You just never know.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

I only craved dairy and egg occasionally with the last pg, this time I seem to be craving eggs now and then (not cheese). I think if I do decide that I "need" to indulge in some dairy/eggs, I will be careful to get something that is local and organic (if possible) because all the food recalls/warnings are really making me think about our (lack of) food quality in the US. I can't wait for the warm weather when I can successfully avoid the compost that our grocery store chains call "produce."
Old 02-09-2009, 07:10 PM

catemom,

That's what I do. I bought organic cheese and milk for my cravings ( though it's ridiculously expensive out here) and got eggs off a friend - they are healthy and happy free range and organically fed and love to cuddle (!) so at least that makes me feel a little better. I wish I knew someone that had a cow that had lots of freedom, organically fed and lived a nice happy life.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Hey mama zubee,

Yes, I'm a Brit living in Canada How do you like the US? I love it here in Canada but I do get homesick quite a bit.

With DD I craved lots of dairy and went right off soy milk for a while. I was worried about craving meat but fortunately it didn't happen. This time around it's happened a lot sooner. I know I'll get back on track pp, but it still bugs me. Oh well. DH is not much help on that front as although he is eats mainly vegetarian ( my cooking) he does eat meat occaisonally. He likes teasing me about my cravings too. It is kinda funny I guess

Oh cool! What part of Canada are you in? And what brought you to Canada? We often think of moving over there!

We're in Maine.. and really love it. The politics are really, really hard, though, and what might be viewed as quite centerist in the UK is really viewed as pretty left-wing here. Given I'm a sociology professor this is challenging! We were only meant to be here a year, but here we are 8 years later mostly because we have such lovely friends and Maine, while bloody cold, is a great place to be.

Where are you from in the UK? I grew up in Devon but was in Cambridge for a long time as a student.

Zubee

Old 02-09-2009, 10:33 PM

Before I became pregnant I will admit that I thought food cravings and aversions to be quite like excuses! I KNOW, i know!! I feel thoroughly ashamed of myself Having faced extreme aversions, though, I can attest to the fact that cravings, etc. are very real. I would not have ever imagined that I'd eat dairy whilst pregnant... but I guess that's what I had to do.

No point torturing ourselves with guilt... it's bad for out little babies

Zubee

Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 PM

Hey mama's!
So, is this weird? I heard that subsequent pregnancies (Not the 1st), the uterus grows faster, but is it normal to feel four months preg and only be 4 weeks? UGH! My abs feel like they are seriously stretching out and I have already gained 4 pounds. YIKES! This is crazy! My symptoms aren't even full blown yet (eg; boob pain, constant nausea, etc). What is up? I have to go shopping because I cannot fit into my pants! I'm going to check out that Bella Band thing this week!

Old 02-10-2009, 01:36 PM

Hi Melissa, it is nice to see you over here on the Pregnant thread!

I am still desperately craving latkes. It is very intense.

Me (42), DH (41), DD (7), DS1 (5) and DS2 Aug 02/09

User Tag List