Is there a pregnant vegans thread? If not, let's start one - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 479 Old 09-28-2008, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I am almost 12 wks pg with my second, my first is 3 yrs. I'd like to start a pg vegans thread since I've really enjoyed being a part of the vegan community on the TTC side. So, please feel free to join me!
#2 of 479 Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM

I'm 12 weeks pg with my first. Can I join even if I'm not 100% vegan? I eat cheese sometimes but am still mostly vegan.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#3 of 479 Old 09-28-2008, 08:07 PM

Hi there,

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and am mostly vegan. Was vegan until preg and then started really craving hard boiled egg whites in the first tri so I ate them. Have still been having some eggs and some baked goods with dairy here and there but not so much anymore. I actually ate mostly raw for most of this week and felt great. Had been in Panama for 10 days until last Sunday and fresh fruit and veggies were hard to find - ate more rice and bread than I normally do...so I was craving fresh everything when I got home.

It seems everyone I come in contact with that asks about my diet is happy to hear when I eat something non vegan. I truly do believe one can have a healthy (if not healthier) pregnancy while vegan...I just also trust that my body knows what it needs right now and I'm not stressing about it.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#4 of 479 Old 09-28-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

I myself am not 100% vegan (but am 100% vegetarian). I cook only vegan at home and do my best to avoid dairy and eggs. Recently, I've been indulging cravings for dark chocolate peanut m&ms and cinnamon rolls at Whole Foods bakery, but otherwise I know I feel better when I eat healthy stuff at home. I am feeling like I need to focus more on eating calorie dense foods since I've been waking up hungry at night, but I've been too tired to make anything that sounds good.

It definitely IS possible to have a completely healthy vegan pregnancy--my DS is living proof.
#5 of 479 Old 09-29-2008, 12:20 AM

I would love to join in!! I am 19wks along with #2...my second vegan pregnancy and I feel great! It will be great to get to know other pregnant vegans

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#6 of 479 Old 10-01-2008, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hi vegan and mostly vegan ladies!

Vegan Princess and She2dancer, do you know the sex of your babies? Do you want to know?

Bodhitree What do you think? Yes or no on finding out the sex.

I'm starting to lose interest in knowing, but if it's a girl, I want to know so that I can get lots of cute girly clothes for her .

I'm going to try to be really good about not eating non-vegan chocolate since it may have contaminated Chinese dairy in it ().

Have a great Wednesday!
#7 of 479 Old 10-01-2008, 10:24 PM

I'm having a girl.

Oh that is a good reason to not eat non vegan chocolate! I am loving coconut bliss chocolate flavored ice cream right now. It's so much yummier than soy ice cream.

Anyone have any fave ways to get in some extra nutrition or protein? I always feel really good (mentally too) when I drink green smoothies. I blend up spinach, water, a banana, another fruit and hemp seeds. The hemp seeds have a lot of protein and DHA.

Cindy

Mama to my veggie girl hearts.gif(1/09) and my sweet rainbow baby rainbow1284.gif (9/12). 

#8 of 479 Old 10-02-2008, 02:36 PM

Catemom, we are not sure what we are having and won't be finding out until the birth...but I am getting some strong girl vibes....and our first was a boy....so the way I figure it, I have tons of boy and gender neutral clothes already, it won't hurt if I do some girl shopping

Vegan princess, I have been wanting to try that coconut milk ice cream so bad! I have heard great things about it! I have to finish up the peanut butter zig zag and choc/pb in the freezer first though. Shouldn't be hard, as my appetite has suddenly increased to extreme proportions....

....off to find something to snack on

Homeschooling catholic vegan Mama to my boysjumpers.gif Simon (7), Keegan (5), Ezra (2) and ??? due November
#9 of 479 Old 10-02-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
I'm going to try to be really good about not eating non-vegan chocolate since it may have contaminated Chinese dairy in it ().
I haven't heard about that. I see no reason to contaminate god's perfect food with cow excretions though! I'm a chocolate purist.
#10 of 479 Old 10-02-2008, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Hi catemom and other vegan/almost vegan mamas!!

I am almost 12 weeks pg and I've been vegan for 11 years and have two boys already. This is my first pregnancy completely gluten-free (celiac disease) and unfortunately something had to give this first trimester. So, I have sadly not been able to eat all vegan for the past few weeks. I have been way more sick this time around. It seems like nothing that is vegan and gluten-free can get past my lips. I crave bread and granola like nothing else! So, I've had to find gf protein bars that I can palate (which are never vegan). I've been living on gf corn flakes and soy milk, protein bars, and apples. That's a far cry from my super salads that I had every lunch and dinner. Oh, and I can't even get near garlic.

I'm seeing a dietician in a week just to see if she has some ideas to help. But I'm hoping to have a more accomodating appetite soon.

This is our last baby and while I didn't find out the sex of my boys, I have to know for this one. I really want a girl. They won't tell you the sex before 21 weeks here (due to gender selection concerns), so I have a while to wait before I know.

I'm busy working on my PhD, but I lurk tons. I'll try to post at least once a week.

Happy pregnancy to you all!!!
#11 of 479 Old 10-02-2008, 04:41 PM

LILGreen: I couldn't stomach any greens or most veggies during the first 12 weeks and found myself eating a lot of startchy carby things that I'd imagine you probably can't have. How difficult!! It was right around 12 weeks though that I could start eating more veggies again - and now I am back to having my huge bowls of kale salad. Hang in there. Sounds like you are doing well with what you have to work with. Are rice cakes gluten free? I found some natural ones that are more substantial than the styrofoam ones and ate a lot of those those first 12 weeks. My midwife assured me the baby is so small during the first trimester that it doesn't matter so much if you can't eat well - that it really matters a lot more in the 2nd and 3rd - and you'll likely be back to eating healthy by then.

Cindy

#12 of 479 Old 10-02-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilgreen View Post
So, I've had to find gf protein bars that I can palate (which are never vegan).
Most Clif Bars are gluten free and vegan - I guess they're not specifically "protein bars," but maybe they'd work?
#13 of 479 Old 10-03-2008, 03:55 AM

i'm 5 weeks tomorrow with a completely *unplanned* surprise baby. i've been vegan for years but i get stricter as the years go by. hopefully, this will be my best pregnancy yet because i've never been healthier. i run regularly but recently walking with tiny jogs here and there. so glad to meet everybody!

aren't larabars gluten free? they're just nuts and dried fruit. yummy!

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#14 of 479 Old 10-03-2008, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hello everyone!

Lilgreen, it's great to see a "familiar face." Anyway, I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble with ms, I'm just starting to be able to eat big bowls of mesclun again after having a few wretched weeks of only being able to eat junk food (and having to get up in the middle of the night to eat more junk food). I think the dietitian is a good idea, I hope he/she can help you.

Can I find the coconut bliss at Whole Foods? I'm shocked that I've never seen it since I pretty regularly shop the vegan ice cream area of our local natural food stores. I might try making a chocolate coconut recipe I have from my Vice Cream book.

I bought a Ritter Sport dark choc. w/ marzipan bar at Target the other day and it is looong gone! I struggled to keep a few squares around for DH and DS.
#15 of 479 Old 10-03-2008, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catemom View Post
I bought a Ritter Sport dark choc. w/ marzipan bar at Target the other day and it is looong gone! I struggled to keep a few squares around for DH and DS.
You share??? I'm impressed! I'm not good at sharing chocolate. :
#16 of 479 Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 AM

Hi ladies,

I'm loving larabars the past couple weeks. Great for when I'm stuck at my desk and hungry between meals - or having a sweet tooth. They're not huge in the protein dept. They have about 2-5 grams I've found.

I am pretty sure I bought my coconut bliss ice cream at whole foods. Time for me to buy more!

I was out of town the past 4 days - my eating habbits always deteriorate on the road. Can't wait to settle back into my healthy eating now that I'm home.

Just found out a new vegan restaurant is opening this weekend within walking distance of my house - yay!!

Cindy

#17 of 479 Old 10-07-2008, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the Coconut Bliss. I plan on buying some as soon as we no longer have out-of-town guests (I'm actually pretty bad at sharing ice cream ).

Anyway, send me positive thoughts today, for some stupid reason I decided to get the nuchal fold screening and I'm pretty nervous about it.

I'll keep you all in the loop!

Have a great day, vegans! :
#18 of 479 Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM

Sending good thoughts you way Catemom! At least you will get to see your little one and hopefully get some peace of mind at the same time.

I ate wayyy too much non-vegan chocolate last night that was a prize from a baby shower on Sunday. I am going back on the raw diet today at least through the end of the week.

Cindy

#19 of 479 Old 10-08-2008, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

Good Morning!

My u/s went really well once we finally got to that part. We spent a lot of time in the waiting room, and the genetic counselor was reeeaaalllly thorough, which is great, but I was actually dying to get those measurements! Anyway, after going to the bathroom twice and drinking some apple juice, the tech failed to coax the little alien into the right position. So, the doc came in and had measurements within 3 minutes (that is exactly why I go to this particular doc for the u/s, she is really good). All the measurements look really good, and I'll have my blood work back in a week! Once I get some more time, I'll post a pic, we have one that looks like the baby is smiling!

Have a great Wednesday, everyone! :
#20 of 479 Old 10-08-2008, 04:16 PM

Hi everyone. I am not vegan (vegetarian) but my hubby is and therefore all of our meals are vegan. I guess that means I can join the club? I admire anyone who can keep up a vegan pregnancy because i have been craving cheese all of the time... 3am type cravings.

I did want to let you all know about a vegan nutritional shake mix I just bought. It is called Angel Milk. I ordered it on amazon and it is amazing. I got the soy chocolate but they have a variety of flavors and some made of brown rice instead of soy. It is specially formulated for pregnant and nursing women. I also ordered the Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook and made the most delicious "cream" of broccoli soup from it. The cream is cashews and arrowroot.

I am excited about this list.
#21 of 479 Old 10-08-2008, 06:03 PM

Hello, may I join you? I'm vegan and just found out I'm pregnant. I've been reading all I can about proper nutrition during pregnancy and I'm trying to make sure I'm getting everything I need.
#22 of 479 Old 10-08-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Pryncess and Kraftykay!

I love that broccoli soup recipe. I made it with half cauliflower because I didn't have enough broccoli and it was fantastic.

Vegans and almost vegans maybe we should compile a list of good books on vegan nutrition that cover pregnancy. What do you all think? Please post your favorites! Thanks!
#23 of 479 Old 10-08-2008, 07:29 PM

Congratulations Kraftykay! Are you still able to eat normally?

Catemom: Glad your u/s went well! I'd love to see a pic of a smiling baby. How cool!

I haven't done more than skim through it at the bookstore, but the Skinny Bitch ladies have a pregnancy book out now called Skinny Bitch Bun in the Oven. They advocate eating a vegan diet. I was happy to see a fairly mainstream book advocating eating vegan as the healthiest way to support a pregnancy! I read a book on vegetarian pregnancy I borrowed from my midwife but it didn't tell me anything i didn't already know (forgot the name anyway). I also have "becoming vegan: the complete guide to adopting a healthy plant based diet". They have a good chapter on pregnancy and lactation needs as well as nutrition for children. And one of Gabriel Cousin's books has a decent chapter on pregnancy but it is geared more towars those that eat raw vegan.

Cindy

#24 of 479 Old 10-09-2008, 09:13 AM

catemom- ooooh cauliflower sounds so yummy with that recipe... I will have to try it. :
#25 of 479 Old 10-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Cindy - So far, so good! I've been feeling a little queasy and not very hungry, but I'm stuffing myself with good stuff anyway.

I read the Skinny Bitch book while we were TTC and really liked it, but it doesn't give a ton of specific information. I wanted to know how much of each thing I should be getting, you know? For that, I adapted info for omni women that I got through internet searches and mainstream pregnancy books. I'm actually finding it difficult to get ALL of the calcium and protein that's recommended. Does anyone have any tips? I mean, there's only so much soymilk I can drink in a day!
#26 of 479 Old 10-09-2008, 07:21 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I had an appointment this morning with a dietician at the Women's Hospital's maternity centre. It was sooooo reassuring. I'm vegan (trying right now, but I can't be entirely at the moment) and 100% gluten-free.

I've been living on cereal with soy milk, apples and other white grains (rice burger buns with tons of margarine, popcorn, etc.) and I haven't been able to eat legumes, veggies, or anything else that I would normally eat. So, I was worried.

But she was so reassuring. First, because I have so much soy milk with my cereal (probably a litre a day), she said that covers my calcium and soy milk also does double duty as a meat alternative, so I am getting two food groups in one. because I eat a lot of fruit daily, I'm fine in that regard for fibre. She stressed that for someone in the first trimester, I'm doing really well and I don't have to worry about specific dietary needs yet. Baby doesn't need much then, so it's mostly calorie intake that most important

I'm meeting with her in another 7 weeks. By then, she said, I should hopefully be able to get back to my normal diet and we can analyze it for the pregnancy needs then. Third trimester is when vegans need to be sure they get enough DHA omega-3 to help Baby's brain grow. There are vegan supplements available. Flax seeds and oil are ok, but the DHA amount is still relatively low (only 10% of a non-vegan source such as fish). DHA is the key.

Anywho, you may know all this, but I thought I'd share it with y'all in case you're interested. I just know I feel so much better about how I've been eating. I'm not going to worry about and just hope my appetite comes back soon.
#27 of 479 Old 10-09-2008, 09:49 PM

On the topic of DHA, I finally found a great supplement that is vegan and doesn't cause fishy burps. It's from a company called Deva. It's enteric coated so it doesn't come back up. I had been taking another vegan dha sup. and fishy burps coupled with morning sickness is a very very bad thing!! I also try and put flax oil on my salads and I love hemp seeds in my smoothies. You can make a yummy milkshake from water, hemp seeds, cocoa powder and bananas. I use raw cacao which isn't sweet so I also add a couple dates. Mmmm.

I've had a rough eating day. My stomach has felt odd all day. Like my organs are rearranging or something. And I feel like my belly is stretching today. I had to revert back to my bland first trimester foods...I feel guilty for eating less healthy foods (bagel and butternut squash soup for lunch instead of the salad I'd planned). But oh well...gotta do what works I guess.

Cindy

#28 of 479 Old 10-09-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftykay View Post
Cindy - So far, so good! I've been feeling a little queasy and not very hungry, but I'm stuffing myself with good stuff anyway.

I read the Skinny Bitch book while we were TTC and really liked it, but it doesn't give a ton of specific information. I wanted to know how much of each thing I should be getting, you know? For that, I adapted info for omni women that I got through internet searches and mainstream pregnancy books. I'm actually finding it difficult to get ALL of the calcium and protein that's recommended. Does anyone have any tips? I mean, there's only so much soymilk I can drink in a day!
I actually think that as long as you are eating a well varied whole foods diet (and eating until you are full/satisfied), then you will be fine. You can take a multi vitamin to round things out and make sure you are covering your bases. This is my second pregnancy, and while I am trying to include some good fats such as avocado and DHA such as hemp....I am not stressing too much about getting a certain amount of calcium and protein each day....

jmho

#29 of 479 Old 10-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Banned

:

still in the vegan ttc... but was told there was a veg'n preg thread and I wanted to come check it out :0)

I think it's good to know what you are doing while expecting b/c it's pretty much the same as the ttc'ers should be doing...
#30 of 479 Old 10-11-2008, 11:03 PM

Hi Vegan Momma -I hope you'll be joining us soon!!

Made a special trip to the store for the coconut bliss ice cream and they were out of choc. Booo. But my store is carrying the most amazing vegan cupcakes now. I have such a sweet tooth! I know now is the time to fight it but its so much stronger than before. Eeck!

My friend brought me some black bean chili she made. I'm going to get the recipe. It's full of veggies - a great meal for pregnancy!

Cindy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page