CT Scan in Early Pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-02-2008, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

I am new here and have a question.

I found out I was pregnant before going for lithotripsy for my kidney stone (a pregnancy test was necessary before starting the procedure).

I was totally shocked to learn I was pregnant as I had been in the emergency room 10 days prior and was given a pregnancy test that came out negative. During that stay in emerg, I was given an X-ray and CT scan of my kidneys (lower right quadrant to be exact) which did in fact find the large stone.

My LMP started on July 24th and I think I must have conceived on August 10th or so. I had the CT scan and Xray on the August 14th. The urine test on August 14th was negative, and I took another on August 23rd which was also negative. I had another urine test and a blood test on August 25th (before my lithotrispy) which were both positive.

My question is has anyone gone through something similar or who knows of someone who has? I am so worried that the radiation has affected my baby. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2008, 11:22 PM

It sounds like you got that CT scan very early in your pregnancy. Usually, radiation exposure that early in pregnancy has an 'all or nothing' effect -- i.e. it causes complete damage and loss of the pregnancy or it does nothing at all. Since I am assuming you are still pregnant, I don't think you have anything to worry about! Hope that helps...good luck!
Old 10-03-2008, 12:44 AM

good luck
big hugs

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

Old 10-03-2008, 12:44 AM

My OB told me the same last time, that early its "all or nothing". Still preg - not a problem

attached to DH superhero.gif 10/03, DD1 blahblah.gif 8/06, DD2 bouncy.gif 12/07, DD3 energy.gif 5/09, DD4 slinggirl.gif 11/12

Old 10-03-2008, 08:39 PM

I had a cat scan and a chest x-ray (scan was of my chest area too) during my first trimester before I knew I was pregnant. I was told that the amount of radiation the baby was exposed to was minimal and that there was nothing to worry about.

Kate, 38, happily married to Ryan, 38, since 1991. 16+ years of infertility ended with "Surprise" Xander, born via c-section due to footling breech 01/09. Miscarriage at 6 weeks 12/09.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:26 AM

I believe one CT scan is considered ok during pregnancy. CT scans are the equivilant to 100 xrays.

I work as a nurse in an ER and had to scan a woman who was 16 wks preg to r/o appy. We had to make sure ALL our ducks were in a row to be sure this CT scan was perfect.

If you've had one it shouldn't be a problem.

User Tag List