Strong contractions, but only when lying down? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What does it mean if I get strong contractions, but only when I'm lying down? Twice now I've really though labor was starting, and both times I was lying down in bed. As soon as I get up, even after regular contractions for more than an hour, they stop. These were really strong, had to breathe through them type contractions, with backache and everything.

Is this because my baby is in some kind of unusual position? I'm pretty certain that the head is down.

Anyone know?

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#2 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 05:49 PM

It means things are gearing up! But real contractions (meaning you're actually in labor) will not stop regardless of what you do. Sounds like you're getting close though!! :
#3 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the positive words. I'm anxious to meet my babe! (I was 40 weeks yesterday.)

Wife to a wonderful dh and mom to four beautiful kiddos, dd (3/04):, ds1 (1/06), ds2 (10/08), and ds3 (7/10)
#4 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 08:11 PM

My dh's cousin had this same problem and her m/w told her that while she was standing to start pulling her stomach/baby up and in because what was happening was that when she was lying down he was in the correct position putting pressure on her cervix but when she stood up he would kind of fall out of place(she had really bad muscle separation so I don't know if that caused it). He just wouldn't be putting the same kind of pressure on her cervix he did when she was laying down. So she did this a few times in a day and labor kicked right in and she had him later that day.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#5 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

L&K'smommie, that's interesting! I do notice that when I stand I tend to always "suck it in," I think it's an unconscious habit. Ive had really bad pelvic pain this pregnancy, and I wonder if this is all related. Maybe I just need to lie down and relax my abdomen more.

#6 of 9 Old 10-04-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledzepplon View Post
Thanks for the positive words. I'm anxious to meet my babe! (I was 40 weeks yesterday.)
woohoo...sounds like you are close to holding that babe. I'd lie down more if i were you.
#7 of 9 Old 10-05-2008, 07:10 AM

ledzepplon, I am having this, too! They don't always stop or stop completely when I get up, but most of the time they do. This has been going on for almost a week now. They're worse when I'm on my right side as opposed to my left or back as well. It's kinda annoying b/c it keeps me up at night, gets my hopes up!

Megan, momma to Colin and Ainsley
#8 of 9 Old 10-05-2008, 02:00 PM

I had this happen in labor with our fourth baby. The strange thing is that like you I only had contractions while lying down. When I would get up they would totally stop. After a long labor with a posterior birth, our daughter came out with the cord around her neck three times. I think my body instinctively knew what to do for her is all I can think. Her heart rate stayed strong the entire time though. A very strange way to labor, unlike any of my others. Try to listen to your body, as there is probably a reason for the way things are happening.
#9 of 9 Old 10-05-2008, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmb129 View Post
ledzepplon, I am having this, too! They don't always stop or stop completely when I get up, but most of the time they do. This has been going on for almost a week now. They're worse when I'm on my right side as opposed to my left or back as well. It's kinda annoying b/c it keeps me up at night, gets my hopes up!
Yes! And then I'm all tired out! I'm just hoping the contrax are making some progress for me now, so I won't have to do all the dialating/effacing later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChantelMonet View Post
I had this happen in labor with our fourth baby. The strange thing is that like you I only had contractions while lying down. When I would get up they would totally stop. After a long labor with a posterior birth, our daughter came out with the cord around her neck three times. I think my body instinctively knew what to do for her is all I can think. Her heart rate stayed strong the entire time though. A very strange way to labor, unlike any of my others. Try to listen to your body, as there is probably a reason for the way things are happening.
Wow, it sounds like your body really knew what it was doing. I am trying to be mindful of the fact that what I *want* to happen and what will/needs to happen may not be the same things. Thank you for this reminder, and I'm glad your little one was born healthy and strong.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page