Mothering Forum banner

Help us with a boy name that goes with... Update post 27

1K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  kel32brown 
#1 ·
Eli and Clay.

We have a 1 syllable last name that starts with S.
We like rare names, easy to pronounce, and definitely a "boy's" name.
I love Luke and Wyatt, but they are already taken in our family.

Can you give me some great suggestions? We have one we're leaning towards, but I want to make sure we have another one or 2 back-ups.

Thanks! Amanda

#11 ·
Thanks mamas for all the great suggestions! I'm going to run Ivan, Seth and Reid by dh again, we'e never talked about those before.

soso-lynn I really like Micah, a lot. But my that's the name of the teacher next room over from me, and while I like the guy and respect him, we're really not on a "I'm going name my child after you thing". So I'm bummed about that one.

snowangel182 I love your style! Riley we had liked for a long time, but for a girl. Maybe we'll rethink it for a boy, altho as a teacher I like knowing the gender from the name... Ty has been on the short list both rounds before, and we both like Sawyer, but its gotten really popular here lately. So we may still consider all of them!

Do you really think and Eli and a Levi would work? I love the name, but they seem awful similar to me?

Isaac is Clay's middle name, a last minute switch after meeting him. Owen, Finn, Colin, Asher, and Samuel (altho could be a middle name, its my brothers) are all names we really like, but are already used in the family.

Thanks again, and keep them coming!

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by CandyApple View Post
Do you really think and Eli and a Levi would work? I love the name, but they seem awful similar to me?
They are really similar...but not so similar that you couldn't do it, imo. I am having my own difficult time naming a third because my favorite name is too similar to one of my children's names!

If you like Micah (which I do, too) what about Jonah? I saw Jonas on the list, but I prefer Jonah anyway...and it "feels" like Micah a little bit, to me.

#13 ·
Levi and Eli is a mouthful. I wouldn't.

There are other names on your list I like better anyhow.

I've always loved Seth, but since my name is Beth....well, I can't have it. hehhee.

I also love some of the other suggestions. Jonas, Jude, Ivan, Elliot, Owen, and I LOVE Hudson. DD's best friend is a Hudson, and its a very handsome name.

XOXO
B

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by avengingophelia View Post
If I picture three brothers, two of whom are Eli and Clay, the third is...

Davis

Max

Ethan

Josiah

Milo

Miles

Oliver

Felix

#21 ·
I was thinking about this last night as I fell asleep, believe it or not, lol!

Your older sons have short names with long A, E, or I vowel sounds. I'd be looking for another short name with a long U or O sound for the third, to fit the sound. I'd look for a name with an O or U rather than an A, E or I, just so the names sound clearly different (I'm a big fan of distinct names for siblings).

So I can see why you really like Luke!

Names that pp have suggested that work with this are Jethro, Jonas, Noah, Milo, etc.

Of those, I like Jonas. It would have been my dd's name...

#22 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aubergine68 View Post
I was thinking about this last night as I fell asleep, believe it or not, lol!

Your older sons have short names with long A, E, or I vowel sounds. I'd be looking for another short name with a long U or O sound for the third, to fit the sound. I'd look for a name with an O or U rather than an A, E or I, just so the names sound clearly different (I'm a big fan of distinct names for siblings).

So I can see why you really like Luke!

Names that pp have suggested that work with this are Jethro, Jonas, Noah, Milo, etc.

Of those, I like Jonas. It would have been my dd's name...
Aww, thats sweet of you to think on this before you go to sleep! Thanks!

Noah is really growing on me, and Luke will most likely get used if we ever have another boy. (By darnit, if I ever have 4 boys, I'm going to use that name, 2nd cousin or not!
)

I like your reasoning for sounds and siblings. Thats why I was thinking Ivan, I like strong vowel names. We've been considering Wade as our top pick, but I can't decide if its it. I think its another love or hate name. Eli, Clay and Wade?

Also, is Asa pronouced Asia? Or is there another pronounciation? I've never heard/seen it before?

Thanks again to everyone, Amanda

#26 ·
Thanks for your honesty about Wade. I'm afraid thats how most people will see it, as clunky or unflattering. Altho thats not how we see it, I don't want him pegged with a name that puts him behind before he has a chance, IYKWIM. Its why I'm hesitating and it helps to have some feed back.

Off to do a little baby shopping, and hopefully dh and I will get a little alone time tonight to discuss names again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.