Heartburn..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-16-2008, 11:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have never had it in my life till now. Any suggestions on some remedies aside from dairy products?

2/07; First time momma to Colton 12/10/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 12:26 AM

I heard chewing gum helps.

Wife to DH(10/02) Mom to DD1('03), angel1.gif('04), DS1('05), DD2('07), DS2('08), DD3('10) angel1.gif(08/11), angel1.gif (09/11). We follow Jesus, praying.gif, quiverful, homeschool.gif,cd.gif ,winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIF, and we are a food allergic family.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:26 AM

papaya enzymes. they are chewable tablets at healthfood stores or trader joe's. they work awesome.

L married to J 8 years. Parents to 6 y.o. dd and 3 y.o. ds :nana
Veggie Family
Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 AM

papaya enzymes are awesome. For my fist pregnancy they did the trick everytime. With my second pregnancy my heartburn was much stronger and when papaya enzymes weren't enough, I turned to tums.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
Old 10-17-2008, 07:51 AM

We just had this discussion in the 12/08 DDC! I

I've tried Papaya Enzyme, Almonds.....I swear this is going to sound crazy, but a surefire cure is BAKING SODA!

Mix a teaspoon full or so into some warm water and drink it down. (I know....it it gross) Within a few minutes you'll belch like a sailor and then the heartburn will be gone. It's like MAGIC!

(plus it's cheap, and likely you already have some in your kitchen)

Throughout my pregnancies we have affectionately referred to them as "baking soda shakes", then just "shakes". Sounds pretty good to drink a 'shake', doesnt it???

Best wishes to you!
Mary

Mama to Noah Jude, 8/17/01, Emerson Lily, HBAC 8/3/03-8/3/03, Beatrice Ruth, homeborn 2/6/05, and Winter Juno Lucine, 12/22/08.:
Old 10-17-2008, 09:09 AM

I had it bad with my last pregnancy. I started with papaya enzymes and then switched to a shot of apple cider vinegar mixed with a bit of warm water. Then when things got really bad at the end I resorted to Pepsid AC.

mama to L (4) and G (1.5)
Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 AM

Papaya enzymes are definitely worth a try. Also try eating pineapple, carrots, and/or pickles. There's a homeopathic remedy called Nux Vomica that can help with heartburn as well.

Try to avoid orange juice, but eating oranges should be fine. For some reason, the juice/sauce versions of acidic foods seem to trigger heartburn worse than the original food itself.

Be sure not to lie down right after eating. Keep your head elevated when you do lie down, if possible.

And if none of the above work, get some Zantac.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 PM

I took papaya enzymes initially, which did work for a while. We put some wooden blocks (about 2 inches) under the head end of the bed which I think helped slightly. After a while the papaya wasn't enough so I moved onto Gaviscon which I now guzzle down several times a day (but I'm almost 39 weeks now). Hope you get some relief it's really horrible - one thing I'm looking forward to about the end of pregancy!!
Old 10-18-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlfromthefuture View Post
We just had this discussion in the 12/08 DDC! I

I've tried Papaya Enzyme, Almonds.....I swear this is going to sound crazy, but a surefire cure is BAKING SODA!

Mix a teaspoon full or so into some warm water and drink it down. (I know....it it gross) Within a few minutes you'll belch like a sailor and then the heartburn will be gone. It's like MAGIC!

(plus it's cheap, and likely you already have some in your kitchen)

Throughout my pregnancies we have affectionately referred to them as "baking soda shakes", then just "shakes". Sounds pretty good to drink a 'shake', doesnt it???

Best wishes to you!
Mary
Drinking soda water will do pretty much the same thing. Just get it plain in the can. It's right with the all the sodas (colas) and tonic water, but make sure what you are getting is just "soda water". You could probably flavor it as well.

I was the queen of heartburn for 9 months straight with my daughter.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
Old 10-18-2008, 12:44 AM

Orange Juice worked for me, so did yogurt.
Old 10-18-2008, 12:58 AM

Papaya enzymes, digestive enzymes, and as crazy as it sounds, when it got REALLY bad (last pg) what helped were 2 things- I quit eatign a bowl of cereal when I was hungry at night. For some eason that made it so.much.worse. Also, I visualized the sphinctor muscles in my esphogus closing and keeping the acid down into my stomach. strangely, that worked better than anything, and was great practice for visualization in labour!
Old 10-18-2008, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies for all the responses!! I am definately going to stop and get some Papaya enzymes today and give that a try. It's funny how it just started all of a sudden. I've really been uncomfortable with it but I've had a pretty easy pregnancy (*knocks on wood*) so if this is the worst I have to deal with I guess I cant complain

2/07; First time momma to Colton 12/10/08

User Tag List