Edamame and pregnancy - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 10-22-2008, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are there any concerns about eating edamame and pregnancy? Any estogen concerns? Can I eat too much LOL? Just I'm craving it...but I'm not sure if it's totally ok for a developing baby, KWIM?

TIA!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#2 of 17 Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 PM

i hope not, i ate a tonnnn of it when i was 3-5 months along!

Bethanie, Single Mama to Clementine Aislyn born via waterbirth.jpguc.jpg on 11/23/08. Hoping to homeschool.gif We cd.gifsaynovax.gif
#3 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 AM

My concern would be that soy can aggravate a thyroid condition, even if you don't already have one, and prevents absorption of the medication, if you do already have it. It's something that needs to be avoided with hypothyroidism which is (although not common) something that starts a lot of times during pregnancy. I don't know if there have been any studies on it's effects and the baby's thyroid, but I wouldn't risk it.

Then again, I AM severely hypo, so I can't eat it at all anyway.
#4 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 04:11 AM

Interesting. My biggest concern would be that soy is a highly allergenic food, but then I already have one kid who is sensitive to it.
#5 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantufla View Post
Interesting. My biggest concern would be that soy is a highly allergenic food, but then I already have one kid who is sensitive to it.

I didn't think about that, I forgot about avoiding highly allergenic foods during pregnancy! (this is my 1st pregnancy in almost 7 yrs!) I need to read up on all that stuff again!

Thanks guys!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#6 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 AM

I've been eating soy somewhat regularly. I'd be more concerned, except my midwives didn't seem too bothered when they went over it in my 2-day nutrition profile. Of all of the soy products, I think edamame would be safest, bc it is not processed.

It seems like unless you eat it very excessively, it's *not* going to hurt the baby—but that's true of pretty much any food.

Enjoying the adventure of NFL with my partner-in-crime , DD 03.09 , , &
#7 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 11:13 AM

I ate a lot of soy while pregnant with DS, who turned out to have a peanut allergy. I do connect the two.

In the last year though I've also switched over to a Traditional Foods diet after lifelong vegetarianism, and that was in part after reading a lot on soy.

It's true in a sense that edamame would be "better" than conventionally grown soy products, since you're avoiding the hexane exposure, but I still won't touch unfermented soy now. It's a good cover crop, but that's about it. And it's really really hard on your body to digest.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#8 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydidit View Post
My concern would be that soy can aggravate a thyroid condition
Wow, I had no idea! I just started taking medicine for low thyroid, and I do occasionally snack on edamame. Guess I'd better stop.

Mom of 2 boys: D-Mac (Feb 06) and Ducky (Dec 08)
#9 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 12:07 PM

You know, edamame is a traditional food in Japan. Don't Japanese women eat it when they're pregnant? I probably wouldn't eat it every day, because of the concerns others have already brought up, but personally I would feel completely comfortable eating it in moderation.

Living the good life and walking a path of peace with DH and DD (4/09)
#10 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 03:12 PM

As far as I know, soy is not eaten in Japan unless it is fermented. They don't add soy to everything under the sun like we do here. It is used as a condiment, not as a staple food.
#11 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 04:08 PM

They do eat edamame though. However, not in large amounts. I wouldn't worry about eating some occasionally, as a whole food you aren't exposing the fetus to large amounts of the soy protein at once.

I have to admit though I drink soy milk in pregnancy...it solves a variety of eating problems for me and so I feel like its the lesser of two evils, but I do avoid eating much soy in any other form as a result.
#12 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 04:51 PM

I think that since it is a whole food, edamame is probably fine. If it makes you feel any better, I had a very healthy vegan pregnancy with a healthy beautiful son (who is all boy!) as a result. I ate Clif bars constantly in my first tri since I was starving most of the time and they were convenient to keep in my purse. Just try to eat something healthy besides the edamame and I'm sure the baby will be fine!
#13 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My prenatal dietician told me that 30g of soy protein/day is the general cut off.
#14 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 08:18 PM

It's a bean! It's not processed, it's green, it's high in protein. I really don't think that Edamame is something to be concerned about.. esp if its not for every meal, every day

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#15 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 PM

Everything in moderation...that's my motto. Okay. Not everything. But I do think it's better to eat a variety of foods, even if one of them in excess can cause "issues". Heck, everything is bad in large enough quantities, right?
#16 of 17 Old 10-23-2008, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superflippy View Post
Wow, I had no idea! I just started taking medicine for low thyroid, and I do occasionally snack on edamame. Guess I'd better stop.
Yeah, sadly it's not something that's told to most people. Just something you find out on your own. I know anytime I eat anything that has soy in it at all I feel horrible for the next few days, like my thyroid symptoms have come back 10-fold.

Here's a good article about it: http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/soydangers.htm

It mentions that 30mg is known to have a negative impact. Personal experience has shown me though that it can have a bad impact much sooner. So I stay away 100%.
#17 of 17 Old 10-24-2008, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhitree View Post
You know, edamame is a traditional food in Japan. Don't Japanese women eat it when they're pregnant? I probably wouldn't eat it every day, because of the concerns others have already brought up, but personally I would feel completely comfortable eating it in moderation.
My dad lived in Japan and said that the misconception is that they eat soy as a whole meal or eat a ton of it. They do not. It's a small, SMALL, side to a meal. Like a couple of bites.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page