Enema to induce labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-23-2008, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm asking for a friend who is going to be induced Monday. She will only be 41 weeks, but whatever Anyway she said she read doing an enema can sometimes jumpstart labor kind of like taking castor oil but without making you puke or have diarrhea during labor. Anyone heard of this? Is it safe for the baby?
#2 of 5 Old 10-23-2008, 11:23 PM

There are some people who believe that bowel type contractions (triggered by enemas, suppositories, laxatives, etc.) stimulate uterine contractions. The issue with laxatives (like castor oil) is they also affect the baby.

I'm of the belief that your body goes into labor when it's ready, but I used an enema when I was already in labor, because I didn't want to poop on the table. It had no effect on my labor progress as far as I could tell.

So I don't think it would hurt, especially given she's already 41 weeks, but it likely won't trigger uterine contractions. I'd try nipple stimulation instead. That released oxytocin, which will induce contractions, but typically requires constant/consistent stimulation for labor to start, as I understand. ETA: She can also try intercourse. Semen contains prostaglandins which can trigger contractions if conditions are ready.

Have they stripped her membranes? I'd also try that before a full-on induction (again, only because she's already past 40 weeks). Bottom line though is if she's feeling uncomfortable about being induced, she can simply not show up for the induction.

SAHM to Guinevere (04/05/06) and Eowyn (02/13/09)
#3 of 5 Old 10-23-2008, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighten View Post
The issue with laxatives (like castor oil) is they also affect the baby.
I am not aware of any non-anecdotal evidence that this is true. There's a faulty correlation because women who are post-dates are the ones likely to be taking castor oil, and postdates babies are more likely to have meconium. It's not a cause/effect relationship.
#4 of 5 Old 10-24-2008, 03:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Don't...do it...

Messy, messy, messy! If it doesn't work (I've read both pros and cons) then she'll be stuck on the toilet with cramping and poo.

Has she tried sex yet?

Mom &  RN   intactivist.gif
Pardon the typos - CWOK (cat walking on keyboard)   signcirc1.gif

#5 of 5 Old 10-25-2008, 06:58 AM

It could work... but potentially messy lol.

Has she tried sex? or evening primrose oil directly on the cervix? and going for loooong walks...

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page