How much vitamin C is safe... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-24-2008, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
during the 3rd trimester, if you feel a cold coming on?
#2 of 13 Old 10-24-2008, 12:34 PM

3000mg/day shouldn't hurt. How close are you to delivery? As long as you're only doing it for a few days I would not be concerned about rebound scurvy in the baby (if that's indeed a legitimate concern at all, jury is out), but the blood thinning properties would concern me if you were taking mega doses at delivery.
#3 of 13 Old 10-24-2008, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I'll be 33 weeks tomorrow, so I guess I'm safe.
#4 of 13 Old 10-24-2008, 03:55 PM

Wanted to add that you might want to go with Sodium Ascorbate rather than Ascorbic Acid; it's much, much gentler on your system.

HTH!

Blessed Mama to 4 and expecting one more!
#5 of 13 Old 10-25-2008, 04:23 PM

Too much C and you'll get loose stools.... so if you get too much you'll know
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/23/17.cfm

Happy to be married to DH and SAHM to Brenden (10/16/06) and Jackson (5/3/09)! Expecting baby #3 in July
Homeschooling worked for me!
#6 of 13 Old 10-25-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Do you all think these loose stools would have the same effect as castor oil

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
#7 of 13 Old 10-25-2008, 06:29 PM

I don't know, but don't get any ideas. If you're taking enough vitamin C to give you loose stools it is WAY too much, especially if you're so close to term you're wanting it to kick you into labor.
#8 of 13 Old 10-25-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkish View Post
http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...ooks/23/17.cfm
Trouble is, I've had loose stools for the last 8 months...

So, the amount of C that won't hurt me, basically, won't hurt the baby either?
#9 of 13 Old 10-26-2008, 01:36 PM

I've been wondering about this too, as flu season is approaching. The thing that concers me is that I took it to bring on a m/c last spring when we knew that our baby had died. I took 1000mg every hour for several hours up until bedtime and then began m/cing in the am. So, probably no one would take that much for a cold, but I don't know where the cut off is. I want to stay healthy with this preg, but not over do it, yk?
#10 of 13 Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 PM

I stand by what I said earlier; unless your body is already accustomed to taking large doses of vitamin C 3000 mg should be good. It's a jolt above what is in your prenatal vitamins but not enough to be a mega dose. Also, the risk of miscarriage from excess vitamin C is only in the first trimester. The concerns with vitamin C later in pregnancy is that if you are taking mega doses (over 10,000 mg daily) for a prolonged period and do not taper off before delivery there is concern the baby may develop "rebound scurvy" after birth from withdrawal (we do not make our own vitamin C). The jury is out on whether or not this really happens. The bigger concern would be that vitamin C has blood-thinning properties so you also do not want to be taking those mega doses if you are close to delivery. Again, for most people 3,000 mg /day is enough to ramp up your immune system but not enough to interfere with clotting.
#11 of 13 Old 10-26-2008, 03:30 PM

I was reading up on vitamin c in pregnancy, and as I recall, the instructions were that you could take up to 2000 mg at a time, not more frequently than every four hours. Total daily dose not to exceed your months of pregnancy. So if you are four months pg, you could take 2000 mg, four hours apart, for two doses daily. At 8 months pg, you could take 2000 mg every four hours for four doses daily.

I have wondered if it thins the blood, but couldn't find anything conclusive at these doses.
#12 of 13 Old 10-26-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvillemidwife View Post
I stand by what I said earlier; unless your body is already accustomed to taking large doses of vitamin C 3000 mg should be good. It's a jolt above what is in your prenatal vitamins but not enough to be a mega dose. Also, the risk of miscarriage from excess vitamin C is only in the first trimester. The concerns with vitamin C later in pregnancy is that if you are taking mega doses (over 10,000 mg daily) for a prolonged period and do not taper off before delivery there is concern the baby may develop "rebound scurvy" after birth from withdrawal (we do not make our own vitamin C). The jury is out on whether or not this really happens. The bigger concern would be that vitamin C has blood-thinning properties so you also do not want to be taking those mega doses if you are close to delivery. Again, for most people 3,000 mg /day is enough to ramp up your immune system but not enough to interfere with clotting.

nashvillemidwife, how much vitamin C is ok during the 1st and 2nd trimesters?

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#13 of 13 Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 PM

I don't know how much is safe in the first trimester. I would advise never going over 1,000 mg, but that's an arbitrary number I came up with just based on knowing how much is usually needed to have an effect on a non-pregnant adult compared to how much we tend to get without supplementation. 1,000 mg is a whole lot more than most people usually get, but not enough to be considered a "mega dose". I personally chose to take only 500 mg when I was sick in the first trimester while I usually take 3,000-6,000 when I'm sick.

Second trimester I'm not very concerned about. The risk of miscarriage has fallen drastically and you're not any where near delivery to need to worry about anticoagulant properties. Again, dosage recommendations are arbitrary.

I'm leary of the advise to take the number of milligrams are you are in months of pregnancy. Even though we haven't established dosage safety in pregnant women, 9,000 mg daily at term seems like a bad, bad idea. As far as the anti-coagulant properties, I didn't know anything about this until I read in "Prescription for Nutritional Healing" that large doses of vitamin C may be used to ease pain in labor. Someone contacted the Linus Pauling Institute about the research behind this and was advised that pregnant woman should never take vitamin C in labor because of the blood-thinning properties, and this was coming from a very prolific vitamin C research and advocacy group.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page