Scary Ultrasound, Need Comfort/Advise!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-17-2003, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've never posted here before, but thought you ladies may be able to offer me some comfort and advise.
I had my 20 wk ultrasound last Thursday, and my midwife said they noticed a "shadow" in the heart. Has anyone ever heard of this?
Of course, my midwife said not to worry, it's too early to tell anything much, and more often than not when I have another ultrasound in 4wks. (which I'm not too happy about), they'll find everything to be okay. Still, I can't help but freak out a little.
This is my second pregnancy, and everything went so perfect with my first.
The baby seems to be developing normally, and kicks alot, etc.
I hate waiting, and wondering if everything's okay. Help!!
#2 of 12 Old 11-17-2003, 07:43 PM

Without getting technical (because I forget it all),my ds2 had a shadow in his heart also and they told us we had a higher chance of him having downs syndrom. If that was reason for us to abort or plan to adopt him out we could do an amniocentices. Clearly we did not!!!!! He was born perfectly fine, and his heart is perfectly fine! One more example of science giving us too much info, that doesn't help at all.

By the way, welcome to MDC!!!
#3 of 12 Old 11-17-2003, 07:44 PM

Hi!Sorry you're having to worry so out the us.fom wha Ive read us a'rent an accurate predictor of fetal outcome.i don't know what the stats are.I do know they keep us very dependant on ob's and their opinions!
#4 of 12 Old 11-17-2003, 07:49 PM

I recently had a similar situation happen to me...
I had an u/s at 20 weeks, at the follow-up visit my midwife said they want me to have another u/s at 25 weeks (This week) because of something that appeared in the brain area. She said "don't worry... it's most likely a muscle... there are no other indications of something being wrong... we see this fairly often and it usually turns out to be nothing... don't worry... please just go have the 2nd u/s"
In my heart I feel that it is nothing, I feel that my baby is fine. I haven't decided on a 2nd u/s yet. Mostly I would agree to the 2nd one just to take another peek at my little guy, but then I think of all the controversy and innaccuracy w/ u/s's and I think I should just skip it...
Trust your intuition, most likely your baby is fine!
#5 of 12 Old 11-17-2003, 08:04 PM

Read "A Thinking Womans Guide to a Better Birth". There are wonderful statistics and references to MORE statistics about the accuracy of ultrasound....

BUT....to kind of sum up, from reading that, as well as other things I've read, it seems like U/S is really only, overall, about %50 accurate. Thats as good as flipping a coin. U/S is also LESS accurate EARLIER in pregnancy.....it's MOST accurate at the END of the pregnancy.

You can read all of the online parenting boards and see moms who got a weird thing at 16 or 20 weeks and BOOM ended up with a perfectly normal healthy baby...

Soooo DON'T WORRY!!!!!! I bet you'r baby is FINE and in 20 more weeks your going to be here telling us your wonderful birth story!!!
#6 of 12 Old 11-17-2003, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

Y'all are really making me feel better! I'm so glad I posted. bebe luna, I, too, have been relying on my intuition on this one, and intuitively feel like the baby is fine. It's kind of funny because every time I start to really worry, she gives me a little kick, like everything's going to be okay.
Thanks, guys!
#7 of 12 Old 11-18-2003, 01:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Maple:

s

Those U/S and other technologies keep us from bonding with our babies in a normal and early way. The OB and other HCP should be ashamed of themselves.
#8 of 12 Old 10-06-2008, 09:55 PM

Hello,

I just got news today from my doctor with the exact same news. I had an ultrasound at 20 weeks and just found out today this little scare. Exact same scenario. I am now 25 weeks and she says it is probably nothing and my little man is kicking and growing as to be expected. This is my 6th pregnancy and the first time I have ever been given this kind of news so it likely that I am a little bit paranoid. I am so glad to hear that this is probably nothing but am going to have another U/S on thursday to see what they say. In my heart I feel that he is doing just fine and is going to be a strong little man!!! thanks to all of you for posting here. I just found this site. Thankfully I feel much better.
#9 of 12 Old 10-06-2008, 10:08 PM

Yeah, I had this too. I also had the nuchal translucency and the blood tests to screen for Down Syndrome and the only result that was even remotely questionable was the spot on the heart.

The radiologist, my old OB, and my current midwife have all told me repeatedly not to worry. By itself that indicator means nothing. The "problem" will resolve itself by birth in the vast majority of cases. Chances are excellent that your baby is completely fine.

Try not to worry, mama!

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#10 of 12 Old 10-06-2008, 10:37 PM

the accuracy of ultrasound is almost ALL about the reader. my OB has had me and about 10 of my friends and has never been wrong. its just a tool for the person reading it.
#11 of 12 Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 PM

Google "echogenic focus." That was seen at my 20w us with my ds, so I had a level 2 the next week to recheck. Wasn't there. Technical error, ds's heart is fine. Was it the left ventricle by chance? That's the one that seems to keep popping up, I don't know why.

Vanessa - aspiring Traditional Foods momma of Graham & Margot
#12 of 12 Old 10-06-2008, 10:57 PM

also, even it turns out there really is some anomaly with bb's heart, still it is most likely that everything will be fine. i have known a few babies whose mothers were told either before or soon after birth that they had some heart defect (a "small hole in the heart" was one dx), but these babies were fine and didnt need any surgery or special treatment and really were healthy and normal. i know in the case of my cousin with a hole in her heart, it was expected to and did close up on its own.

Mama to 3 boys 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page