Is it normal to get bloody mucus for DAYS after cervical exam? 40 weeks along... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 01:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I know it's normal to have some bloody mucus after an exam. But for DAYS??

I don't know what to think because...

I got a cervical exam on Wednesday and I was 3 cm, 80% effaced.

I had already lost my mucus plug a few days prior to that exam. Well, I'm still very pregnant, typing this, no labor by any means.

After the exam, I have been having very bloody mucus every day since Wednesday- especially after a long walk. It seems to encourage it.

Thanks in advance.

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#2 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 01:59 AM

yep! perfectly normal! (unless of course it`s lots of fresh blood)
#3 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 10:01 AM

Could be the rest of your mucous plug, sounds like labor is right around the corner.

Mom to 4, & a Baby Girl in Heaven 01/2009. Missing my New Angel 12/2009
#4 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 10:05 AM

obnoxious, but normal. it really does sound like you'll be having that baby soon!
#5 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Just got back from walking. Underwear is COVERED in more gross bloody mucus. It's been 4 days since the exam.

Is this still caused by the exam, I wonder. Don't know, but labor better start soon. I'll be 41 weeks tomorrow.

-Caitrin

Me whistling.gif Wife / SAHM / Musician/ Actress/ Queen of this castle. Progeny: William (January 2007), Tristan (November 2008) and expecting Lukas stork-boy.gif due January 2012!!  lactivist.gif femalesling.GIFwaterbirth.jpg dishes.gif

#6 of 11 Old 11-02-2008, 08:32 PM

Yes, its normal. You can also break blood vessels while they are in there. Then you can have lots of blood. I tend to bleed a lot when I get VEs. With my 3rd I bled for almost 2 weeks straight because my mw checked me then a week later I went to the dr for a BPP and he checked me then I was trying to induce at home. Annoyed the heck out of me. I bleed enough after the birth I don't need to do that much before too!

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#7 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 02:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Heart View Post
Yes, its normal. You can also break blood vessels while they are in there. Then you can have lots of blood. I tend to bleed a lot when I get VEs. With my 3rd I bled for almost 2 weeks straight because my mw checked me then a week later I went to the dr for a BPP and he checked me then I was trying to induce at home. Annoyed the heck out of me. I bleed enough after the birth I don't need to do that much before too!
Ouch! 2 weeks huh?

It's seeming more and more like this is still from the exam. Good grief- I didn't know cervical checks could be so- harsh.

-Caitrin

#8 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 04:20 AM

i lost my mucous plug over several days last time.
#9 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 06:37 AM

If you're dilating, might some of the blood simply be from broken capillaries as the cervix expands?

Wife to 1, Mom to 4
#10 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 PM

Could be they stripped your membranes while doing the exam and that is causing the added blood and mucus.
#11 of 11 Old 11-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaperk View Post
Could be they stripped your membranes while doing the exam and that is causing the added blood and mucus.
That's what I was thinking. When I had my membranes striped there was blood and mucus for several days before labor started, but when I had regular pelvic exams there was nothing like that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page