Encouraging baby to drop - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-04-2008, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm so discouraged right now. I am 39 weeks 5 days and just got back from the Dr. who said the baby hasn't dropped at all and I'm still only 1cm dilated. She said that if she can't feel a presenting part next week then I should prepare myself mentally for needing a c-section. She also scheulded me for an induction on the 21st (I would be just past 42 weeks). I know that first babies often drop a couple of weeks before delivery, but surely this baby still has time to get into postion and all hope is not lost yet?!? Do you all know of anything that I can do to encourage this little one to get down into the pelvis? It has been head down since 30 weeks but just hasn't budged since then...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 PM

I am as far along as you are, and I have been bouncing on a birth ball for at least 20 minutes a day to help move the baby down. I also dance every day to keep my pelvis wide. Every night I do lunges, squats, and before going to sleep, I talk to the baby and visualize the baby moving down toward the birth canal.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:30 PM

Walk walk walk! I was walking up to two miles a day until I delivered and was completely effaced and dialating in my final week.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 PM

I am not sure what to say to get the baby to drop, but more concerned that your doctor said you should mentally prepare yourself to have a c-section :. That seems really crazy for them to say that because your baby hasn't dropped. I thought a lot of babies didn't even drop until after labor started. Everything can change so suddenly, so I hope you don't worry too much. Big hugs to ya

- Crystal, mom to 4 kiddos expecting #5 very soon . We are a , , , , and family
Old 11-04-2008, 09:40 PM

Mainstream doctors annoy me!!! Babies can drop last minute or during labor. Squat on the ground for several minutes at a time, walk a lot, bounce on a birth ball. Go to a webster technique trained chiropractor.

You could always changes Doctors
Old 11-04-2008, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjarvis View Post
I am not sure what to say to get the baby to drop, but more concerned that your doctor said you should mentally prepare yourself to have a c-section :. That seems really crazy for them to say that because your baby hasn't dropped. I thought a lot of babies didn't even drop until after labor started. Everything can change so suddenly, so I hope you don't worry too much. Big hugs to ya
: !!

DS2 (my VBAC) didn't drop until I was in active labour, and my amniotic sac broke. No concerns from my midwife; as soon as that fuid was out of the way, down he came!

Walking is good. Bouncing on the ball is good. I did both, but still he wasn't engaged. I was never threatened with a c/sec for that reason though!
Old 11-05-2008, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the support everyone. I was pretty floored when she said that too. I know that first babies often drop early but I hadn't considered it to be a big deal that my little hasn't yet. The thing is that I normally love my Dr. She is mainstream but has really been respectful and open to working with me up untill this point. She had been up all night with another delivery so maybe she just wasn't at her best... I'm going to try your sugestions but try not to worry if LO doesn't engage.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:04 AM

With my first, I went to the midwife on a Wednesday. I wasn't dilated or effaced and the baby had not dropped. Went into labor the next day and she was born 13 hours later. You are dilating! Your body knows what to do. Rather than preparing for a C-section, I would work on arguing about the need for one. Good luck!

~Manessa mama to one teenageer, one tweenager, and a toddler

Old 11-06-2008, 02:59 PM

I like the walking suggestion. Make sure you don't have any major home improvement projects waiting to be finished, I think that can make you hold on to the baby. If you have any major fears surrounding childbirth or motherhood, I'd definitely explore that a little (through art, journal writing, or talking to a counselor). Try using some evening primrose oil topically down there. Try using mind/body stuff like affirmations, imagining your cervix thinning and opening to allow the baby to drop, etc. Try going to a chiropractor! I think they HAVE to let you go at least 42 wks. before you get induced, until then, I would tell your Dr. or midwife that you refuse to be induced until 42 wks. (and if it were me, I'd be telling them what a-holes they are to tell me to "mentally prepare for a c/s"). They might try using inaccurate data from BPPs to get you on board for an induction or c/s before 42 weeks, just try to stay informed.

I would do EVERYTHING you can to avoid a c/s b/c I will tell you from experience that a previous c/s is like having a criminal record in OB world--and the docs basically do not care about your future birthing experiences, so keep that in mind when they are pushing the c/s.

Good luck and good birth!
Old 11-06-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manessa View Post
With my first, I went to the midwife on a Wednesday. I wasn't dilated or effaced and the baby had not dropped. Went into labor the next day and she was born 13 hours later. You are dilating! Your body knows what to do. Rather than preparing for a C-section, I would work on arguing about the need for one. Good luck!
:

None of my babys ever drop until they come out

User Tag List