twins but not measuring far ahead? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
does anyone know if it's possible to be pregnant with twins without dramatically measuring ahead of dates? i'm 32 weeks along & have a lingering background suspicion that there's two in there. i'm bigger than i was with ds, but not crazy big. it's just that the movements are all over the place within such short periods of time & for the past 2 visits my MW has had trouble pinpointing the position of the baby...i'm wondering if the confusion is because there are two? i'm feeling that heavily pregnant feeling significantly even though with ds i didn't feel it until the very end...any thoughts?

mama to 2 busy boys (may 2007 & december 2008)
#2 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 09:08 AM

I don't know if it's possible, but I would guess you'd be measuring a lot far ahead by now. By 32 wks, I had been on bedrest for a month and could barely move. I slept the majority of the day cause I was just that exhausted. It's probably doesn't matter at this point, but are you opposed to getting a US just to rule it out? I just ask because eating for twins is a little different and TTTS can be a problems with MZ twins. You might want to post this in Parents of Multiples as well...might get more responses from the MoMs!
#3 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 11:24 AM

I think by your stage of pregnancy you'd be a LOT bigger if you were carrying twins. At 18 weeks gestation, I was measuring at about 27 weeks. And my twins seem average size on the u/s and this is a first pregnancy for me.

I understand that second pregnancies can result in showing larger, showing sooner. Could that be the case for you? Or possibly an anterior placenta, that may make it harder for your midwife to get a good idea on the position?

But ya just never know!

Deanna Mom to 3 boys! Jake (April 2006) & Twin Boobie Monsters Wesley & Nathan (Feb 2009)!  homeschool.gif nocirc.gif

#4 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 11:30 AM

The desired growth rate is that by 28 weeks you look full term size as if with a singleton. I did meet that requirement and did it ever get hard to continue getting bigger after that. I gained a bunch of weight but ONLY in my tummy and bum so I had a really rough time walking by 32 weeks till the end.

But an ultrasound will definately answer your question especially if you are at 32 weeks, a second baby cannot hide behind the first by that stage if there is a second baby.

~Patricia~, wife to D, mom to V:, mummy to S/C : , ::. Learning how to be a GREAT mom to my autistic twins and loving it!
#5 of 5 Old 11-09-2008, 06:31 PM

My second baby was MUCH more active than my first, and I felt HUGE for ages. My first was low from the very beginning, but my second was all up in my ribs for my entire pregnancy. So it's possible that you're feeling different because it's a different pregnancy and a different baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page