gifted forum - posts being moved - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
There is obviously a definition of Gifted being used here that isn't being used by the staff.

We aren't going to debate the issue of what is and is not "gifted" but this is really not something that the forum was set up to address.

If an issue seems to belong in a different forum it will be moved.

A question about hypoglycemia would be moved to H&H and not be hosted in PTGC jut as a question about behavioral issues would be moved to GD.
Bolding mine. I think that perhaps there is no one on the staff with knowledge of the generally accepted definition of gifted. It's not something that moms here are making up- it is a generally accepted term. Exactly where the lines are drawn does vary sometimes, but it's not something "made up"

Here's a good starting place:

http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/gifted_101.htm

Perhaps it would help to have a moderator involved who is familiar with gifted children.

-Angela
#122 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL83 View Post
I think it's the insinuation that the parents of the regular kids "just won't get it"...

So I don't understand why she doesn't think she would have gotten good advice in the the GD forum.
I want to reiterate my point on this. I speak only for myself.

I am positively certain that good advice can be found all over MDC and from all sorts of people. I personally post on forums with the hope that I will get a variety of feedback from all sorts of perspectives. My desire to post certain topics in specialized forums is not to exclude people from giving advice. It is to protect myself from the possibility of heated discussions or ultimately flame wars that can sometimes ensue. PTGC offers a guarantee against these things. This is not a guarantee I am warranted elsewhere. To me this is one of the primary reasons for specialized forums. It's not about exclusion, it's about offering that safe environment.

Some people may be concerned that if a post about their child who they believe is gifted is moved outside of PTGC they may be harassed to an extent. Some have had to deal with this in the past so prefer to stay in the forum where they are offered the guarantee against it. People may desire to post things differently in an environment where questioning the legitimacy of giftedness is allowed so as to help avoid negative responses. It's self preservation.
#123 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
I think it's the insinuation that the parents of the regular kids "just won't get it"...

By not wanting to post in the home schooling forum about an issue with your gifted kid, you are saying that there's no way anyone on that forum could possibly have any useful advice to do with a gifted child.
I think the problem here is that no one I know of who posts on the gifted forum things no one else could possibly have good advice for them - but it is about intended audience, the type of advice they are looking for, and short hand for what issues they are facing.

For example - if I read a post on the CLW forum from a mom who says she's bone tired and sick of nursing her 3 year old and ready to cut them off cold turkey, the advice will be different than if the same post was in breastfeeding or toddlers. On CLW, I'd offer advice on how to make CLW work, because clearly that's the type of advice the mom is looking for. If I was responding on Toddlers or breastfeeding, I might offer support and techniques for gentle weaning along with CLW advice.

If a mom posts a question about making a broth on Traditional Foods, she's not saying that only moms interested in TF could possibly have insight about broths. She's posting it in a place where she's most likely to get information pertaining to the way she eats, without having to go into the all the backstory about how her family eats and why.

If a mom posts a question on the Waldorf forum about Fairy Tales, she's not putting it there because she thinks she's better than moms who don't send their kids to Waldorf school or thinks they could have no useful input about Fairy Tales, but because she's looking at Fairy Tales from a Waldorf perspective and wants the opinions and experience of other Waldorf families about how well certain books/stories work within the Waldorf framework, and doesn't want to have to go into a long speil about what exactly Waldorf is before she gets to her question.
#124 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeliphish View Post
Lord knows there is a need for PTGC but there is a problem when that forum begins to be all-encompassing for every issue that a child has. My cousin has a 5 year old who is already in 2nd grade and can crunch numbers like no one has ever seen....but he can't read worth a darn. Even though our children have both tested gifted- it's on total opposite ends of the spectrum you see? So for example...we could both easily have valid posts in PTGC but she may not have a bit of useful info to give me about a question I have. I may get better responses on the toddler forum.
I just don't see the "problem" - that it exists at all, or who would be hurt if a few (and I think it would be very few) parents had that tendency. As I've said before, I for one post in many different MDC forums. But I'm sad to think that I have to feel so hesitant now to post in PTGC if I have questions about something like a perceived asynchronicity. I love MDC and that so many of my concerns are so widely shared - that I could post about something related to giftedness and know that responses will also generally share other values, like gentleness and respect for the child...

And in the case you mentioned specifically - I think *you* should post where you think it's most relevant and likely to generate good, helpful conversation. And that we all should have that freedom to discern...

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#125 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:25 PM

Quote:

By not wanting to post in the home schooling forum about an issue with your gifted kid, you are saying that there's no way anyone on that forum could possibly have any useful advice to do with a gifted child.
I know you are very new to MDC...I would suggest it might be a good idea not to try to read too much into the forum selection choices of other posters. It really isn't about you.

If our disabled child is having problems with medication for an uncommon genetic disorder I don't post about it in the homeschooling forum. I have nothing but respect for the brilliance of homeschoolers and there is certainly a possibility they might know something about our son's medication. On the other hand, there is a much greater possibility that one of the brilliant moms on special needs who has spent years researching this stuff might have information.
#126 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I did not say "any" or "all" behavioral issues would be moved. If it seemed like a discipline issue it would. If it seemed like it belonged in Gifted it would not.
And perhaps this is the problem- I don't think that anyone who is making these decisions (mods/admin) have an educated knowledge of what DOES belong in a gifted forum.

-Angela
#127 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
We don't have a mod litmus for every forum on the boards.

They tend to be very intelligent people because we tend to choose them based on their great posts or maturity
No one is questioning the intelligence of the mod team- truly. They're questioning the specific education on this matter.

Just as it wouldn't make sense to have the Traditional Foods forum with no one that knew anything at all about that, or the veggie forum with no mods who had ever been veggie, it is proving to be an education problem here I think.

From what I am hearing, there is no one on the mod team with a knowledge of gifted issues.

-Angela
#128 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh View Post
The attitude in this thread is so offensive on so many levels. It's very difficult to raise a child who can often out reason you, often out think you but still needs all or more of the emotional reassurance of any child. Of all the groups of parents with special needs children the parents of gifted children seem to have less support and less sympathy for the challenges they face. It's really sad to see this kind of anti-intellectualism here.

How can anyone logically think that finding appropriate 5th grade level books for a 4 year old could be anything other than a gifted issue. By definition that kind of cognitive advance would make the 4 year gifted. I don't understand, unless the moderators just really don't understand giftedness at all.
This is worth repeating again.

I know that MDC admins and mods strive to be kind to everyone, and I know that in no way is this intended, but to anyone who has worked with gifted children or parented gifted children, this thread is a huge slap in the face.

-Angela
#129 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright_eyes View Post
I don't ever post in the PTGC, so I opinion likely doesn't matter, but stumbled across this thread and have now read all 5 pages and wanted to comment on the above quoted posted. I went to the 2 threads that are listed above and read through them all and cannot understand why they were moved and feel sad for the OP's that they were moved at all.
I think you raised a number of good points and I appreciated your post. To me it is a good demonstration that we don't have to have had the exact same experience as another poster to imagine why having a separate forum is necessary.
#130 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuildJenn View Post
How does this mother's decision to post her question in a different forum or focus on her child's "label" insult your - intelligence? Kids? Participation in the Learning at Home forum?
I wasn't insulted at the mother's decision at all to use a different forum...I couldn't care less. I stated that it was insulting to make the following statement, "The parents in the homeschooling forum, did not seem to be able to relate the way she was feeling, as they are not homeschooling gifted children." The statement was poorly worded.... it's all-encompassing. "The homeschooling parents are not homeschooling gifted children". That's wrong to assume.

It doesn't insult me or my children... DD1 is 3. Although she was identified as having a uniquely advanced cognitive ability she still has temper tanturms, she passes gas and laughs, she picks her nose. And for me, her tantrums have nothing to do with her intelligence. That's not to say that other children don't need special accomidations due to their giftedness but there have been several times that I have responded on PTGC but because I'm not a regular poster nor have I, before this day stated that my child was identified as "gifted", my responses really and truly got some snarky responses...and I found that to be rude.
I quotate a lot because when I was singled out to go to the gifted classes in school and had to leave the "normal" classes throughout the day. It was hard...and these lables really created some turmoil in my life.

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#131 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
I know you are very new to MDC...I would suggest it might be a good idea not to try to read too much into the forum selection choices of other posters. It really isn't about you.

I'm responding to the attitude displayed on this thread.
#132 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffani View Post
I think the second thread (the gifted/unschooling thread) is a perfect example of why threads shouldn't be moved -- in her original post, the OP was talking to parents of gifted children, not unschooling parents. I'm sure that as her family's educational path shifts more toward unschooling, she would venture into the unschooling forum with more specific questions about unschooling, and probably also ask the unschooling forum regulars about unschooling gifted kids. BUT, she wasn't really THERE yet, she was lamenting about how her gifted kids were taking her down a path that she wasn't originally planning to go, and how that felt. It was a great discussion, but in moving it to the unschooler's forum, she may have unintentionally offended some unschoolers with her phrasing, because to her, at that point, unschooling was not her ideal choice -- I think the person who posted did a fabulous job of replying to her somewhat "awkward for the unschooler's forum" post, but in the US forum, her PTGC post died a quick death.
This is a perfect example of how things are phrased differently for different forums.

For example, you surely wouldn't make the same post in Traditional foods and Veggie. Since they are largely opposite philosophies. Nor would you make the same post in homeschooling and school.

-Angela
#133 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:

JL83, I think I speak for a lot of other posters who are currently lurking on this thread when I ask you this very blunt question: just what is your relationship with gifted children, and why is this thread of such great interest to you as a newcomer?

If you had posted frequently on this board, either in the homeschooling section or the gifted section, then perhaps I could understand your need to be in this thread so frequently as you would obviously have a stake in the discussion of gifted children. But, as far as I can tell, you don't. And quite simply, by stating the above sentence, "I think it's the insinuation that the parents of the regular kids just won't get it," you only serve to illustrate the point that parents of regular kids won't get it!

Indeed, if your posts are anything to go by, you are proof positive that parents of non-gifted children have an exceedingly difficult time understanding the many nuances of working with and raising gifted children.

I am also having a difficult time understanding just why this issue strikes such a chord with you. I am not at all interested in Waldorf education, and I don't post in that particular section of the board because of it. I would hardly be offended if people who had an interest in Waldorf education chose to post in that section, rather than in other areas of the board. Parents of gifted children should post wherever they so desire to find their 'intended' audience. And by intended I mean where they want to post it and not where you think they should post it.

Frankly, I find it more than just a little bit strange that you've invested so much time in this thread as it as, and have such very strong ideas about where other people should be posting.
#134 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Nor would you make the same post in homeschooling and school.

-Angela
Actually - it would make alot of logical sense for someone to post in both those forums. Many of us, even if we are unable for financial reasons to fully homeschool our children, still want to take an active role in shaping their education. So posting in both forums looking for interesting materials or approaches to homeschooling while your child is not at school would be very appropriate.
#135 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Eve View Post
JL83, I think I speak for a lot of other posters who are currently lurking on this thread when I ask you this very blunt question: just what is your relationship with gifted children, and why is this thread of such great interest to you as a newcomer?
Though I had the same question, I think she just answered this a few posts back...

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#136 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:43 PM

Okay, thanks everyone! We appreciate everyone's time and energy, and I've not been aware of many of these concerns. I'm going to temporarily close the Gifted forum while we assess the issues, read through the questions and suggestions and we can go from there Thanks for your patience!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#137 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:

Not at all; What we're saying is that more relevant advice is likely to be obtained in PtGC than in LaHB.

Quote:
A PP posted that she solved tantrums in the grocery store by giving her kid math problems. Well, she might not have gotten that specific of an answer in the GD forum, but I can assure you that people would have suggested engaging her child's brain to keep her from getting bored. I believe (if I'm mixing posters up here I'm sorry) that she also posted that her kid was having meltdowns because she burned through sugar faster than a "normal" kid. But, standard advice in the GD forum is to make sure that your child is well fed before public outings. And to take snacks along with. So I don't understand why she doesn't think she would have gotten good advice in the the GD forum.
All right then-- what about my thread, years ago, regarding toddler tantrums? The advice to "give him words" was irrelevant and unhelpful to me, and when I said as much it became apparent that in the opinions of most people posting to the thread that the reason my child was throwing tantrums wasn't that he was two, but that I was pressuring him and labeling him and so on and so forth. If Parenting the Gifted Child had been around then, I likely would have cross-posted. The advice and support that I needed was nowhere to be found in Toddlers, despite the fact that my child was in fact a toddler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roar View Post
Second, I'm wondering if we could hear more about what specifically is problematic about the baby or toddler posts. Is it because the forum has "child" in the name. If so could we either get an exact rule on the ages where posters are allowed or consider a change in name to get rid of the problematic word child. I personally don't typically respond to the baby posts because I don't have a lot to say on the topic, but I know for our family from the toddler years it was very clear there educational differences that we needed to start understanding and planning for. There has probably never been another time when we needed outside information as much as we needed it during the preschool or toddler years.
I'd like to know about this, too. It seems to me to come from the public-school-promoted notion that children "aren't really gifted" until they're in third grade, or that giftedness and any itinerant issues are exclusively related to formal education. Neither is the case. Children don't magically become gifted when they turn five/six/seven; They are individuals who are wired differently from birth. It's certainly true that giftedness cannot be ruled out before a child is five or six, but some children are very obviously gifted from a very, very early age. Is it unreasonable to think that parents might know that the issues they're dealing with are related to giftedness even before a child is old enough to be formally tested?

Quote:
I have never used that fact to negate what other mom's have to offer me on MDC nor have I ever mentioned it to family or friend's because I think it is something that is private.
How does asking one group of people for advice automatically negate the advice of any other? Are we required now for the sake of political correctness to ask everyone who's thoughts might be relevant? Why have separate forums at all, then?

Quote:
And quite fankly such discussions between parents often turn into pissing contests.
Really? I'm curious-- how many threads in Parenting the Gifted Child have you read? Can you point to any discussions in recent weeks/months which have even degenerated into "pissing contests", let alone started out there? I'd like to see specific examples.

Quote:
I think hostility is being created by the us verses them mentality that is being fostered in this very post. I have no insecurities whatsoever and do not for one second question anyone elses belief that their children are gifted. I do however feel it is inappropriate for some one to assume that a whole group of posters could not relate and that PTGC was the only forum that would yield valid responses...which is the message the quoted statement was sending.
Again, the fact that someone believes that the most appropriate and helpful responses will be garnered in a particular forum doesn't necessarily negate the value of any other forum. That statement does indeed SCREAM "I have insecurities!" to me.

Quote:
Lord knows there is a need for PTGC but there is a problem when that forum begins to be all-encompassing for every issue that a child has. My cousin has a 5 year old who is already in 2nd grade and can crunch numbers like no one has ever seen....but he can't read worth a darn. Even though our children have both tested gifted- it's on total opposite ends of the spectrum you see? So for example...we could both easily have valid posts in PTGC but she may not have a bit of useful info to give me about a question I have. I may get better responses on the toddler forum.
I don't think that anyone's said or even implied that every issue a particular child has belongs in PtGC. I've posted to The Childhood Years and Toddlers relatively recently, in fact, both times in regard to highly gifted children, because the issues I had were much more relevant to those forums in my opinion. Asking for advice/support on potty training belongs in toddlers, whether or not the child in question is gifted. Questions about placement in a particular curriculum often belong in homeschooling, regardless of whether or not the child in question is gifted. Again, you're making some assumptions here about who posts to PtGC and why. It's really uncalled for and demonstrates a shocking lack of knowledge about what actually goes on in that forum. If you're going to espouse a hostile opinion about what's being posted in PtGC, I'll respectfully ask that you at least read the forum first.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#138 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Eve View Post
I use the "New Posts" feature. This thread came up and it is interesting.

Although I have only a few posts and only recently signed up, I have lurked here for along time. (Mainly reading through the massive archives of birth stories...)

I don't think my relationship with "gifted children" is that important to this discussion. But, in short, I was a gifted child and I have a gifted child. However, that is entirely irrelevant to how many of the posts on this thread (********NOTE: I am referring to this thread in specific) are coming across.
#139 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM

I am running out the door here but I want to chime in and say that I am very insulted by some of the comments being made here. Clearly this thread has been hijacked by people who clearly believe either that there is no such thing as giftedness, that parents of "gifted" children are actually just stuck-up and imagining that their children are better than other people's children for egotistical reasons, or that if gifted children do exist, their parents are stuck-up and look down at other parents. All of this is insulting and hurtful. Some people clearly need to go read up on what a gifted child is and what it truly entails, and unfortunately I think this may include MDC staff who are repsonsible for the PTGC forum. The idea that there is no such thing as a gifted baby or toddler with different development and needs from other kids? : Oh my God, you clearly have not lived with these kids. (Or been one yourself.)

As to the idea that we are insulting other parents or looking down our noses at them because we don't think they can understand what it's like to have a child like ours?! So are the parents in the Special Needs forums also guilty of perhaps not believing that parents of non-special-needs children are not compassionate enough to understand what is going on with their children? Give me a break.

If you don't "believe in" the phenomenon of giftedness or you have gross stereotypes about gifted children and/or their parents, you need to step away from this discussion. This discussion is not about you. It is about the parents of gifted children and OUR needs.
#140 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I believe this is an incorrect interpretation of people's motivations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy post #2
There is growing concern with the gifted forum.

It seems like there is an increasing desire of the forum participants to seperate themselves from the rest of the board.
I think what JL83 is saying agrees with what abimommy says here. However, I don't agree. I would love to see evidence of any "increasing desire... to separate themselves" among posters in the Gifted forum... especially relative to other special interest subforums at MDC.

Also, the point was made that thread moving is done in the interest of having future users of the site be better able to find answers to their questions. Three comments on that: (1) If a thread was classified as related to giftedness by the OP (e.g., health conditions specific to gifted kids, like reactive hypoglycemia) wouldn't future MDC users be likely to search the gifted forum fi they have the same concern? and (2) The search feature on MDC works across forums, so future users would be able to find relevant answers even when a thread cross disciplines, and (3) Google searches pick up on relevant threads anywhere on MDC. Even though I am a member here, I often find threads here by accident when searching using relevant terms on Google. Hence, I think the mods could save time and aggravation by moving only blatantly misfiled threads, for the purpose of making sure the poster actually gets replies.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#141 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM

Mod Note: All members are allowed choose to continue posting opinions and information regarding any and all topics contained within this or any thread should they so choose. No one poster gets to plot the course of a thread; all thread participants steer it together. With MDC fast approachng 140,000 members, there are going to be a wide variety of responses, and discussions will curve and turn in many ways, as they do on all message boards. It's all part of the wild internet ride.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#142 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
I wasn't insulted at the mother's decision at all to use a different forum...I couldn't care less. I stated that it was insulting to make the following statement, "The parents in the homeschooling forum, did not seem to be able to relate the way she was feeling, as they are not homeschooling gifted children." The statement was poorly worded.... it's all-encompassing. "The homeschooling parents are not homeschooling gifted children". That's wrong to assume.

It doesn't insult me or my children... DD1 is 3. Although she was identified as having a uniquely advanced cognitive ability she still has temper tanturms, she passes gas and laughs, she picks her nose. And for me, her tantrums have nothing to do with her intelligence. That's not to say that other children don't need special accomidations due to their giftedness but there have been several times that I have responded on PTGC but because I'm not a regular poster nor have I, before this day stated that my child was identified as "gifted", my responses really and truly got some snarky responses...and I found that to be rude.
I quotate a lot because when I was singled out to go to the gifted classes in school and had to leave the "normal" classes throughout the day. It was hard...and these lables really created some turmoil in my life.
Well I'm really sorry for your issues. I was a gifted kid too whose life was miserable, miserable, in elementary school and whose life only turned around by going to a school for gifted kids. So I do get your feeling about the labels. It's awful when the labels are taken as "so you think you're better than us" isn't it?

And I'm also sorry if you felt so unwelcome in the forum - I hope I wasn't participating in those threads; I doubt it 'cause I'm not in there a lot.

It seems to me if that's the actual problem, moving threads is not the solution. If a problem relates to homeschooling AND giftedness, can it not stay where it was posted (either way)? Can you imagine if you posted about your child in homeschooling and someone said "you mentioned something that isn't typical of her age, so we have move your post to the gifted forum" -- even though you were unhappy with that label?

Maybe a mod saying "Hey please remember to be welcoming" would be the biggest help.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#143 of 167 Old 08-11-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetruething View Post
Mod Note: We can want/ask for only certain answers, however all members are allowed choose to continue posting opinions and information regarding any and all topics contained within any thread should they so choose. No one poster gets to plot the course of a thread; all thread participants steer it together.
Of course, but any member can post in gifted right? It's not restricted?

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#144 of 167 Old 08-16-2009, 04:58 PM

Hi, everyone I wanted to apologize for the temporary closure of the forum, but we needed to review it and take inventory and explore the concerns. I wanted to personally apologize for threads that have been moved out from the forum in the past. It was not done with malicious intent, and if there are any hard feelings, I am truly sorry. We have placed revised guidelines here.

Moving forward, for organization's sake, we are simply asking members to demonstrate how a topic is related to giftedness. There is no need to be dramatic, snarky or hyperbolic to demonstrate "on-topicness." A thread placed in PtGC: "Help, my dd has appendicitis" would be moved to Health and Healing. If the thread was asking for specific experience related to a gifted child's coping skills, anxiety level, parenting approaches to take with a gifted child, etc this would be fine to stay in PtGC. We are not looking to move threads out; we'd prefer not to have to move something unless its blatantly misplaced. So, please help us by ensuring topics are demonstrated to be gifted-related

We do not wish to take on the role of determining what parenting issues are or are not gifted related as long as rationale is given as to why a member believes it to be gifted-related. We are not interested in deciding who is or isn't gifted. This is beyond our scope. We are also not going to moderate giftedness based on age. I apologize if the baby and toddler threads previously moved caused hardship, but please make sure that future baby/toddler threads demonstrate a unique need for placement in PtGC otherwise or they will be moved to the more applicable forum.

For organizational purposes, we would encourage members to take broad
discussions seeking support with homeschooling the gifted child, learning at
school, discipline, etc to the respective forums and designate that the
discussion is related to gifted children and request a "support only" thread
in their title so that it's clear the topic isn't up for debate. The Family Life forums are set up for discussion amongst a specific audience (Single Parenting, Multicultural Families, Adoptive Parents, etc), and by offering these forums, we understand that discussion is targeted to receive input, support and information from others in similar situations and that there is often overlap.

The forum's back open to new posts. Thanks for your patience, and we appreciate everyone's participation and contributions.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#145 of 167 Old 08-16-2009, 05:27 PM

Thank you, Georgia!

Mother of two. : 4/05 and 1/07 Wife of one. : 7/01
#146 of 167 Old 08-16-2009, 05:44 PM

georgia, thank you so much for the clarification and for working so hard on the boards!

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#147 of 167 Old 08-16-2009, 07:53 PM

I am glad to see that the gifted forum is open again. I hope the conversation continues to be useful.

I must confess that I do not expect to be visiting as much with the new guidelines as I don't like to lurk on a forum and I don't like the changes. But, that's just me.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)
#148 of 167 Old 08-16-2009, 08:03 PM

That seems like a reasonable change to the guidelines. Thanks for addressing the concerns that were raised.

aran .......... Mr. aran .......... DS1 .......... DS2
BIL Oct. 1961 - Jun. 2009 taken by cancer
#149 of 167 Old 08-16-2009, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hergrace View Post
I am glad to see that the gifted forum is open again. I hope the conversation continues to be useful.

I must confess that I do not expect to be visiting as much with the new guidelines as I don't like to lurk on a forum and I don't like the changes. But, that's just me.
Can I ask what you dislike? The changes do seem like an improvement to me.

(And thanks, Georgia, for the explanation.)
#150 of 167 Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 PM

The changes are exactly what I expected to see given the discussion about the forum. In that respect, I agree that they are an improvement for the forum. They just make it a less friendly forum for me.

I still don't know what level of explicitness about how a question is related to the uniqueness of parenting a gifted child is required. Some of the posts that were moved and prompted this discussion appeared to me to be specifically about issues unique to parenting a gifted child.

In some ways more importantly, I am too busy getting through life to worry about whether I have articulated myself clearly enough to convince the moderator that I have posted in the right forum. I simply have no mental energy to spare for that extra level of concern.

And, I have a negative emotional reaction to the assumption that I need to justify my post's presence.

Kate
mother of Patrick (7/31/03), and Michael, William, and Jocelyn (4/27/07)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page