gifted forum - posts being moved - Page 6 - Mothering Forums

#151 of 167 Old 08-16-2009, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for explaining. We're not asking anyone to do anything we wouldn't ask in any other forum. Do your best to make your discussion on-topic to the forum in which it's placed.

We're trying to make things less strict and require less moderation, not the other way around

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#152 of 167 Old 08-16-2009, 11:35 PM

To clarify the clarification...

Moving forward, for organization's sake, we are simply asking members to demonstrate how a topic is related to giftedness.

and

For organizational purposes, we would encourage members to take broad
discussions seeking support with homeschooling the gifted child, learning at
school, discipline, etc to the respective forums and designate that the
discussion is related to gifted children and request a "support only" thread
in their title so that it's clear the topic isn't up for debate.

were said. I just want to verify I have this correct.

Situation 1: If I have a student entering K that is reading and doing math at a 3rd grade level, and I'm looking for input on when to best approach and how to approach the teacher in order to insure appropriate accomodations for my suspected gifted child are taking place....

I assume that is ok to put in the gifted forum, b/c it is a specific situation and highly relevant to gifted kids. Correct?

Situation 2: My gifted child is consistently up for 1-2 hours past the time I've put her to bed, because she is concerned with items such as the potential of a black hole forming and consuming the earth, if we could jump into a computer and save ourselves would that keep us from dieing... she also suddenly HAS to write the story that has come up in her head otherwise it will be GONE FOREVER!! I'm looking for advice on how to help her calm her mind at bedtime.

Is that enough, or would I also have to prefix that by saying that I'm specifically posting this in the gifted forum, because I'm struggling with my gifted child's intellectual and imaginational overexcitabilies and anxiety..items that often affect a gifted child.

We're trying to make things less strict and require less moderation, not the other way around

That's what it seems like, which is great, but just looking for verification with the above examples. :-) Usually on boards like this, it is pretty apparent when things are blatantly off topic.

thx
Tammy
#153 of 167 Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
By demonstrate that the issue is related to giftedness, do you mean that we have to have a few sentences on each post explaining it? For example, if I have an issue with our daughters obsessive reading, do I need to preface it by saying "obsessive reading sometimes occurs in gifted children and I believe that is the underlying cause for our daughters obsessive reading" before going on to my question?

Looking at the young child wanting to read Harry Potter, would the OP have to explain that gifted children are often more sensitive and so forth, as we have done above, each time we post?

I would really appreciate the demonstration requirement being clarified.
#154 of 167 Old 08-17-2009, 10:28 AM

Thanks admin team

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#155 of 167 Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM

I'm curious about the suggestion of creating a "gifted or possibly gifted" tribe in forums like Toddlers... Do others think such a thing would be welcomed - or even tolerated easily? I guess I'm coming from that sense that people often think you're bragging or pushing if you use that label for your child, and I get uncomfortable with the idea of drawing that fire... it's easier for me to picture a toddler tribe in the gifted forum!

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#156 of 167 Old 08-17-2009, 02:34 PM

For those of us who are "old school" the gifted forum was once a single thread in Special Needs. It wasn't well received or tolerated. I think that such a thread in toddlers would likely be moved at the request of other posters in toddlers (and probably after it became a MESS), and I'm inclined to agree that a toddler tribe in the PtGC would be better received.

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#157 of 167 Old 08-17-2009, 03:01 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm even saying that a gifted toddler tribe in either forum is necessary... Though the current 2-year-old thread is PtGC is fun and helpful! And I appreciate the overall approach/solution to the moving threads problem - a little clarification on how to demonstrate relevance will help...

But I'm just not sure the "gifted" tribe idea is practical b/c people often think of it as a "setting yourself above others" distinction, rather than just a descriptor.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#158 of 167 Old 08-17-2009, 05:41 PM

There are pros and cons with the toddler thing.

The main con, though...If potentially gifted toddlers are not part of a main gifted forum, what ends up often getting lost is key advice from those that with gifted kids that have BTDT. Those that have BTDT aren't necessarily paying attention to a gifted toddler forum or a gifted toddler thread elsewhere, and often focus on the gifted forum relevant for their older kids.

I say this from experience of having gone through this somewhere else.

I'm happy with gifted toddler questions being on the main gifted forum. Just looking for the clarification I mentioned.

Tammy
#159 of 167 Old 08-17-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
By demonstrate that the issue is related to giftedness, do you mean that we have to have a few sentences on each post explaining it?
I'm referring to the original post of a discussion thread. If it's not obvious why it was placed in Gifted, we just ask that members explain the reasoning why a topic was placed in parenting a gifted child vs. age specific parenting or general parenting, H&H, LAS, etc.

We are a Natural Family Living site that hosts a gifted forum. One cannot assume that everyone reading knows you, your child, circumstances, etc. Just because the thread concerns a gifted child does not necessarily mean it's on-topic. As an example: "Please help me figure out my gifted child's allergy!" Unless it's demonstrated why this concern is specifically gifted related, we'd move it to the Allergy forum.

quaz, in your examples, 1 and 2 are both fine If you have specific situations you're looking for input, support, etc. then threads in PtGC are great. If you (general you) would like to create general topic support threads in LAS or LAHB, GD, etc like "Gifted Homeschooling" or "Applying Gentle Discipline with Gifted Kids Tribe," etc. for generalized discussion of the fundamental topic, these would be moderated as support-only.

So, in a nutshell, if the subject matter is presented in the original post as relevant to a child's giftedness, then it can stay. Deciding on whether something is or is not actually gifted-related is not going to be something we wish to do. Some believe that giftedness colors every aspect of parenting and some believe that it's mostly an educational concern. We are not taking a side on this debate.

Hope this clears up any confusion

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#160 of 167 Old 08-17-2009, 11:17 PM

So under the new rules, my moved thread about taking a book intended for much older children away from my six year old could stay?

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#161 of 167 Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 PM

Yes, and I apologize for any past problems. Anyone with previously moved threads is welcome to PM me so we can work it out privately

#162 of 167 Old 08-18-2009, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Hi, everyone Moving forward, for organization's sake, we are simply asking members to demonstrate how a topic is related to giftedness. There is no need to be dramatic, snarky or hyperbolic to demonstrate "on-topicness." [...] So, please help us by ensuring topics are demonstrated to be gifted-related
So I'm guessing that Sarcasm is out, too?

I've been following a handful of forums @ MDC for ages, and really only de-lurked because of the interesting developments and debates relating to the PtGC forum.

The polite (and reasonable) request for posters to PtGC to avoid drama, snark and hyperbole when demonstrating "on-topicness" seems in itself to underscore that the requirement to "demonstrate 'on-topicness'" would very naturally -- and justifiably -- invite such reactions.

I, for one, would much enjoy reading the (well-deserved) onslaught of drama, snark and hyperbole should the same request be made within the Queer Parenting sub-forum's guidelines... although that is unlikely, considering that sub-forum has no stickyfied set of guidelines. Yet thread after thread within that forum -- especially those dealing with TTC issues -- would not likely pass the "prove to us why this belongs here" threshold applied to PtGC. Perhaps there is an implicit understanding that the folk who post there do so precisely because they wish to hear -- first and foremost -- from the others who post there.

The same reactions would likely occur within the Waldorf community as well were their forum locked-up tight while administrators assessed their ability to self-determine relevancy within their community. When we were seriously exploring different methodologies for our own children, we found the Waldorf & Montessori sub-forums to be very comfortable communities within the larger MDC world. And as soon as this "administrative re-organization" of PTGC began, I immediately thought of how the Waldorf and Montessori communities would recoil should similar "administrative actions" pay a visit to their neck of the woods.

I strongly suspect that if MDC were to launch a "Prove to us why this is Waldorf-esque (or Montessori-esque)," drama, snark and hyperbole would be the very least of your concerns. And for as many arguably generic questions that are posted in each of those sub-forums, I've rarely seen anything moved outside of their walls for the betterment of the MDC community at large.

And then there are the Mongolian spots... apparently these only occur in multi-cultural parenting situations, because the thread has lived a long life within the multi-cultural families since [checking...] 2008. I'd venture that the OP would have failed the "Prove how this relates specifically to multi-cultural parenting" test... after all, it makes much more sense for that topic to be moved to one of the broader baby forums, as the condition is in no way dependent on multi-cultural backgrounds. Nor are many of the questions regarding straight hair, fine hair, curly hair. Nobody in the general forums have any experience with this? Really? Or perhaps those posting in the multi-cultural forums do so in an effort to narrow the responding audience to a sub-group of their choosing. But there is no Stuck-at-the-Top admonishment for these community members to justify their choice to address there questions to others within their community.

But apparently the PtGC forum participants have recently arrived from another planet.

After a series of posts were moved for not meeting some threshold of "relatedness to giftedness," one parent politely asked about clarification of the guidelines here:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions....php?t=1118614

The response was interesting:

"If it isn't specifically involving Gifted issues then it

does need to be in the other forum. Simply because a topic involves a child that is gifted doesn't really mean that all threads about that child should be in that forum." Now let's imagine, for a brief moment, just for the sake of argument, how a similar response to a similar question as to why posts were being inexplicably moved out of other communities within MDC:

"If it isn't specifically involving

Queer Parenting issues then it does need to be in the other forum. Simply because a topic involves a child that lives in a Queer Parenting situation doesn't really mean that all threads about that child should be in that forum." or

Waldorf issues then it does need to be in the other forum. Simply because a topic involves a child that is in a Waldorf environment doesn't really mean that all threads about that child should be in that forum." or

Multi-cultural issues then it does need to be in the other forum. Simply because a topic involves a child that is in a multi-cultural household doesn't really mean that all threads about that child should be in that forum." Good heavens, Katie bar the door... The entirety of the internets would be instantly set aflame with much more than simple drama, snark & hyperbole... and rightfully so.

Quote:
If it's not obvious why it was placed in Gifted, we just ask that members explain the reasoning why a topic was placed in parenting a gifted child vs. age specific parenting or general parenting, H&H, LAS, etc.
Perhaps the "threshold of relevance" that is applied to most any other forum @ MDC could be applied to PtGC as well. And that threshold ought to be something patently objective such as a.) the parent has posted her question in the XXXX forum, and that b.) the parent is presumed to know the nature of the audience she is addressing by virtue of not accidentally posting a question about Mongolian Spots in the "Arts and Crafts" forum.
#163 of 167 Old 08-18-2009, 06:58 AM

We're Tiffani , Mark , Lucy (9/99) , Dexter (8/01) ,and Zachary Marvin (3/07) and Naomi Rose (6/09), home 11/10, by way of Ugandan adoption.

#164 of 167 Old 08-18-2009, 09:58 AM

RandiFlowers -
#165 of 167 Old 08-18-2009, 11:24 AM

RandiFlowers,

I only hope that your post results in some reflection and thought rather than a padlock on the thread.

Mama to DD 4/06 notes2.gif  new DS stork-boy.gif born 17/12/10 familybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gif
#166 of 167 Old 08-18-2009, 11:40 AM

RandiFlowers- :

:

Well written summary of my thoughts on the subject.

-Angela
#167 of 167 Old 08-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
When a forum becomes a moderation burden and expends more than its due share of our resources, we have to reconsider its purpose and direction and figure out where the problems lie and how they can be addressed. Sometimes we find it necessary to apply more specific stipulations in the guidelines that are not carried over to all forums because they are not all presenting the same sort of concerns. That does not mean that we would not apply the same to other forums if we saw the need to do so. Each forum is looked at separately and dealt with accordingly. We are aware that similar thread topic issues exist in other forums and they too will be addressed as we find it necessary.

If demonstrating "on-topicness" without drama, snark, or hyperbole results in a member posting in reply with drama, snark, or hyperbole, that reaction will be dealt with just as it would in any situation and will most likely end with the member losing privileges to the forum. Members have a clear posting and policy outline to protect themselves from such behavior and moderators have a clear path to follow to justly deal with the issue. Snark reaction posts do not denigrate the value of placing a post that is appropriate and on topic for a forum.

We have had other moderation issues with other subforums, Waldorf being one of them when it faced issues that necessitated temporary limited posting access that was not applied to any other forum. Viewing moderation through your own personal and narrow lens and applying it to every forum and situation you find is not at all something we can take into serious consideration when coming to a decision about forum needs and rules. What you perceive and what the moderators and administrators experience as they work here every day and night, dealing with a variety of problems, people, reasoning, and circumstances cannot be given equal value in a decision process.

We have given ample opportunity to express concerns and opinions, all of which have been considered. The resulting decision is in place with a very gracious apology from the administration. Now it is time to close the door to this discussion, especially since the posting has turned to sarcastic criticism and supposition. We hope that our sincere members who are here to participate in a community they love and value will appreciate the concerns the moderators and administration have and will respect the new guidelines and abide by them.

All others, please park your drama, snark, hyperbole AND sarcasm at the door or you may find it barred.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page