Development Suggestion: Mothering or MDC Forum iPhone App? is it in development? - Mothering Forums
1 2 
Site Help > Development Suggestion: Mothering or MDC Forum iPhone App? is it in development?
RiverSky's Avatar RiverSky 05:02 AM 01-04-2010
I would LOVE to have a Mothering Magazine and/or an MDC Forum app for my iPhone (and IPOD Touch) so that I could read and/or post on the go. I find it very hard to log in via the Safari browser on my phone and would far prefer a simple useful application. I would be happy to pay $.99 or $2.99 for such a privilege, as I'm sure thousands of others would, too.

Is anything like this being planned for the near future? Like next week?

JessicaS's Avatar JessicaS 02:53 PM 01-04-2010
It is in development.

I don't have a projected date on that but it is in the works.
Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 08:06 PM 01-04-2010
I might like it better, too, but wanted to say since the most recent upgrade (or one of the most recent ones) MDC fits on my screen much better and seems faster w/safari. I mean, it's still much slower than my PC or netbook, but I don't have to scroll all over as much.
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 08:08 PM 01-04-2010

RiverSky's Avatar RiverSky 03:58 AM 01-06-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
It is in development.

Cool. Thanks.
Freud's Avatar Freud 03:08 AM 01-15-2010
This will be awesome!
bjorker's Avatar bjorker 06:21 AM 01-15-2010
Quote:
It is in development.

Really?! Wow. That'll keep me happy while nursing my new babe.
CorasMama's Avatar CorasMama 12:03 PM 01-15-2010
If you're looking for a good visual layout, check out how mdc looks on a sidekick! It's a great layout.
Poodge's Avatar Poodge 03:14 PM 01-15-2010

Magelet's Avatar Magelet 05:17 PM 02-18-2010
oh yay, that will be awesome.
DaughterOfKali's Avatar DaughterOfKali 08:38 PM 02-18-2010
Quote:
It is in development.

Any update on this? An iPhone app would be fabulous!
sunnysandiegan's Avatar sunnysandiegan 10:09 PM 02-22-2010
Any chance of an iPhone app before April???

MDC is really frustrating to view on my iPhone via Safari. Maybe because it doesn't recognize me as a MDC user? Or maybe because of all the ads (and busy-ness) on MDC? Or maybe because I have the original iPhone (not 3G) and am often on the Edge network versus Wifi? I don't know, but it isn't fun.

I do all my MDC surfing on my laptop, which IS fun, and I MDC! I'd really like to enjoy it on the go, too!
sailorscout's Avatar sailorscout 10:44 PM 02-22-2010
woohoo! can't wait!
nerdymom's Avatar nerdymom 01:15 AM 02-23-2010
that is amazing!! woo! In development yaya!
misstorri's Avatar misstorri 01:42 PM 02-23-2010
I can't wait!
moonwisemama's Avatar moonwisemama 07:37 PM 03-12-2010
A Mothering App would be fabulous... I'll be on the look-out for this!
Redneck_momma1985's Avatar Redneck_momma1985 04:55 AM 03-22-2010
Quote:
It is in development.

How do I post a question on here? I can't seem to find where to go to ask a question. Of course I am new and using my husband's IPHONE so I could just be overlooking it...lol. Any help would be much appreciated.
JessicaS's Avatar JessicaS 06:40 AM 03-22-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck_momma1985 View Post
How do I post a question on here? I can't seem to find where to go to ask a question. Of course I am new and using my husband's IPHONE so I could just be overlooking it...lol. Any help would be much appreciated.
Hello!

Can you see the "New Thread" button?

There are some tutorials here if you have trouble finding things.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...16&postcount=2

I don't have an iphone so it might not look exactly like yours but it should give you the jist
JessicaS's Avatar JessicaS 03:27 AM 04-25-2010
Hello!

If you look in the skins which is in the lower left hand corner you will see an option for "MDC Mobile"

If y'all could check that for me it would be great.

Thank you!
Mama~Love 10:26 AM 04-25-2010
That skin would make it a lot easier to surf on-the-go. Everything is compressed, but still readable, you don't have the busy-ness of graphics getting in the way, like avatars & siggies. I can't wait for this to come out!
Posted via Mobile Device
Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 02:28 PM 04-25-2010
Thanks, abimommy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Jane's Avatar Jane 03:50 PM 04-25-2010
Gotta turn it sideways, into "landscape" instead of "portrait" but it works nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
karen1968's Avatar karen1968 12:20 PM 05-07-2010
I just tested this this morning on my iPod Touch and didn't like it at all. I found it harder to click on things, plus I really like the layout of the regular MDC forums. I've never had a problem with them being slow via Safari (but I do my regular surfing on an OLD computer, so it might just be what I'm used to!). It took me a while to figure out how to get back to the regular "skin".

But most frustrating of all was going to UserCP (which is how I regularly enter MDC), and having NO new threads come up...then going to my computer and finding FOUR. Also, I couldn't figure out, once I just went to "all subscribed threads", how to get to "first new post". Since these are my habitual ways of using the site (and admittedly am probably an old stick in the mud ), I am completely turned off by the mobile "skin".

I would LOVE an actual app that makes it easier to use MDC on a mobile, but IMO, this skin isn't it.
Drummer's Wife's Avatar Drummer's Wife 01:53 PM 05-07-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1968 View Post
I just tested this this morning on my iPod Touch and didn't like it at all. I found it harder to click on things, plus I really like the layout of the regular MDC forums. I've never had a problem with them being slow via Safari (but I do my regular surfing on an OLD computer, so it might just be what I'm used to!). It took me a while to figure out how to get back to the regular "skin".

But most frustrating of all was going to UserCP (which is how I regularly enter MDC), and having NO new threads come up...then going to my computer and finding FOUR. Also, I couldn't figure out, once I just went to "all subscribed threads", how to get to "first new post". Since these are my habitual ways of using the site (and admittedly am probably an old stick in the mud ), I am completely turned off by the mobile "skin".

I would LOVE an actual app that makes it easier to use MDC on a mobile, but IMO, this skin isn't it.
yeah, I've tried it several times and decided I'd rather browse and post via safari. I think the mobile version here might be okay for those who don't have smart phones.
Jane's Avatar Jane 03:18 PM 05-07-2010
On the user control panel, there is a link for "subscribed threads". That will give you your new posts. I do like that clicking on the main link auto takes you to the latest post.

After using it for a couple of days - it's almost too compact. It really fills my screen with teeny tiny type. I do like it better than Safari b/c I don't accidentally click on as many things and have to back out (and there are no pop ups). But a bigger font size and fewer threads per page would be better, IMO. In general, I like it. I feel bad complaining b/c I appreciate the work that went into it, and the work that goes into this place in general.
Pros:
no pop ups
takes me to first unread automatically on clicking
easy to scroll through, with no sigs
fewer mis-clicks than Safari browsing
I lurve me some MDC and I feel like MDC lurves me back by making an iphone app for better chart stalking of my bitter sushi friends
I am a paid advertiser for MDC and I'd do a few more bucks for use of the app.

Cons:
small font size when rendered on iphone
font colors are hard for me to read
took me a bit to realize that subscribed threads was one more click from user control panel
Arduinna's Avatar Arduinna 12:36 PM 05-08-2010
Quote:
Hello!

If you look in the skins which is in the lower left hand corner you will see an option for "MDC Mobile"

Thank you!
Oh thanks I didn't know it was there.
Marimami's Avatar Marimami 12:55 AM 05-17-2010
Quote:
Hello!

Thank you!
I think there is a big difference between a generic skin for mobile devices and one optimized for the iPhone. The iPhone developers guides provide details about CSS to use for optimized display on the iPhone. The iPhone can handle rich graphics and display. It doesn't need to be whittled down--it needs to be optimized.

I don't think this meets the needs for iPhone users, unfortunately!

Holli
RiverSky's Avatar RiverSky 03:03 PM 05-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimami View Post
I think there is a big difference between a generic skin for mobile devices and one optimized for the iPhone. The iPhone developers guides provide details about CSS to use for optimized display on the iPhone. The iPhone can handle rich graphics and display. It doesn't need to be whittled down--it needs to be optimized.

Holli
It doesn't help for me, either. I'd far prefer an actual app, even if I had to pay for it.
JessicaS's Avatar JessicaS 04:29 PM 05-17-2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimami View Post

Holli
Thanks I will pass along your input.
JessicaS's Avatar JessicaS 04:30 PM 05-17-2010
The discussion regarding tapatalk does need to move elsewhere, there are no plans currently to use tapatalk
1 2 

Up