MDC's software transition information - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#301 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sure, FF does as well but it's a pain to have to do every time I hit the site when using a serif font would address it globally. I read a lot of sites and MDC is uniquely bad with the combination of colour, font size and whitespace right now. I'm trying to give more specific feedback. Ideally users shouldn't have to fiddle with their browser settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by number572 View Post

TIP: Not sure about other browsers but if you're using Safari, go up to the "VIEW" tab and go to "ZOOM IN" or try "ZOOM TEXT ONLY" and see if the text increases in size... mine did and its a lot easier on the eyes and doesn't affect the layout.  Other browsers probably have some sort of text enlarging option as well.

~ Mum to Emily, March 12-16 2004, Noah, born Aug 2005, Liam, born January 2011, and wife to Carl since 1994. ~
#302 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 06:59 PM

Thank you very much Artichockie. One issue down lol.gif

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#303 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 07:17 PM

I saw the answer to this and just want to say that I REALLY hope viewing more threads per page is something that can be worked on.  Page by page is especially cumbersome to me now, especially since my mouse is not working for some reason- and I know from other forums how longer threads are much easier on mobiles.  That's one thing I always had changed when using ANY forum.

I also can't figure out how to get it to jump to 'unread' messages from the main page, but that may be because I haven't been 'here' before since the forum is new, even though I was on it on the old forum.

And I'm reading about emails and friend finder but wasn't online to see what that happened, so muddling thru this thread to figure out what is going on.

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#304 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

Just found a really inconvenient thing for me well 2 actually since I cant spell worth a darn.

1) I was about to send out bday pm's and it will not let me send more than 8 users at a time. I was really loving the 30 limit I had as an ambassador and want that back since it takes a really long time to do 30+ pm's 8 at a time with copying the code for the smiles and then the users. I really dont want to stop sending out the pm's since some people really like getting them and it brightens their day but I dont see how I can do it with the limit set on me right now greensad.gif

I will check on that.smile.gif Thanks

Not all those who wander are lost 
#305 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM

Something else

Where is the Calender link? and why cant your preview a PM before you send it?

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#306 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 07:29 PM

This is definitely growing on me! I do find all the white space really hard on the eyes, but I understand you are working on other skins so I will hold out hope for one of them.

On the POSITIVE side, I love the thumbs up feature!! How many times have I wished for something like that, just to let someone know "hey, I liked what you said but I have nothing more to add." And I now see that I can skip to the latest unread posts in a thread, so I am happy and I know things will continue to improve. THANK YOU everyone who is working so hard on this!

Kyamo and vannienicole like this.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#307 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 07:34 PM

I know you are working very hard on this, but I'm having so many issues with this site currently.  It's freezing up my computer, slow loading, the pages are incredibly difficult to read.  The color is really hurting my eyes, and is it possible to change style of font?

Thanks for addressing my issues with the reviews, but I still find it rather annoying that it won't be able to be turned off completely.   

Honey693 likes this.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#308 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

I also can't figure out how to get it to jump to 'unread' messages from the main page, but that may be because I haven't been 'here' before since the forum is new, even though I was on it on the old forum.

And I'm reading about emails and friend finder but wasn't online to see what that happened, so muddling thru this thread to figure out what is going on.

At least on the "new posts" page  if you click on the icon with the green arrow (on the far left) it should bring you to the newest unread post in that thread.  I mostly read from the new posts page, so I can't speak for the other main pages.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#309 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodchick View Post

At least on the "new posts" page  if you click on the icon with the green arrow (on the far left) it should bring you to the newest unread post in that thread.  I mostly read from the new posts page, so I can't speak for the other main pages.

I wish that was an option from subscribed threads.  The only choices now are to go to the very first post or the very last one.  It seems so slow to have to click and scroll around. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#310 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My subscriptions still aren't working correctly.  For example the CTA/ fertility awareness November thread...  It has gotten several new posts that I have not been notified about and in my profile it says that I am signed up for "immediate."  I don't know if it's just the default setting, but when I go to post in the thread, the subscription drop-down menu says "daily"... so if I reply and don't change that to immediate every time is it changing my subscription?  Very mysterious!

I was also wondering about embedding a chart in a post.  I tried but everyone is seeing their own charts, not mine lol.gif

Is there somewhere I can read about how to do it better?

Thank you for all the help!!  I'm really loving the new site smile.gif  I especially can't wait for some coops!!!!!!!

#311 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I wish that was an option from subscribed threads.  The only choices now are to go to the very first post or the very last one.  It seems so slow to have to click and scroll around. 

I logged in earlier, and had the same complaint. This evening it seems to be jumping to the latest posts that I haven't read. I think it just needs you to check in so that it knows you have been here. Does that make sense?

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#312 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:07 PM

Can the option to display whether we're "online" or "offline" be turned off?  I looked around but didn't find anything.  I really dislike people knowing where I am and what I'm doing.  smile.gif

R~Mama to my sweet A 7//07 & bubbly Z 3/12

AND belly.gif due 9/13

#313 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post

Can the option to display whether we're "online" or "offline" be turned off?  I looked around but didn't find anything.  I really dislike people knowing where I am and what I'm doing.  smile.gif

Yes! Scroll down to the purple bar near the bottom of the page. It should say "Currently, there are 1959 Active Users (416 Members and 1543 Guests) Make me Inactive (hidden)"  Just click the "make me Inactive" link and you should be all set!

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#314 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:

Yes you go to My Profile - Edit Account Details - Scroll down to Site Preferences and put an arrow into the box that says Invisible mode. No one can see you then.

#315 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparklingGemini View Post

It's there in your profile settings (I think that's what it's called). I changed mine earlier, b/c I leave myself logged on from my phone all the time - and didn't want the green light.

#316 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:16 PM

Hey smile.gif

A few things so far: I turned off advertising, yet, I can still see it on the side? How do I get rid of this. I don't want to see ads.

Also, where did all the smiles go? I only see a handful when I click the Smiley button.

Thanks for all your hard work!

Jessica reading.gif married to the love of my life jammin.gif

Momma to: Levi (09/06)superhero.gif, Junior (09/05) angel.gif, Teagann (11/10) angel.gif and two furbabies Nugget and Boo cat.gifflowerkitty.gif TTC our next bundle of love since 1/11makebabe.gif

#317 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdymom View Post

I logged in earlier, and had the same complaint. This evening it seems to be jumping to the latest posts that I haven't read. I think it just needs you to check in so that it knows you have been here. Does that make sense?

Ahh, thank you! It seems to be working for me now.
nerdymom likes this.

#318 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 PM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#319 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crrrunchberrie View Post

Hey smile.gif

A few things so far: I turned off advertising, yet, I can still see it on the side? How do I get rid of this. I don't want to see ads.

Also, where did all the smiles go? I only see a handful when I click the Smiley button.

Thanks for all your hard work!

The smilies are being worked.

There are reviews attached to the site which are not ads. The "what users want" feature should be pushed down as more content is added.

#320 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:44 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thank you for all your hard work! I really do appreciate MDC.

I've just finished reading this entire thread & learned a lot. Thanks! But, I still have to add a couple things. These are the issues I am having that are making utilizing the site extremely challenging:

~When I go into my profile to check my threads I've subscribed to, it only lists them all. I want to see which ones have had new posts added to them since my last visit. I can't sit here every day & scroll through the thousands of threads I've subbed to over the years to see if there's been a new post. How can I see threads I've subbed to that have new posts since my last visit? I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

(Also, I see little red boxes with numbers in them next to some of my subscribed threads when I'm viewing my user cp. What are they for?)

~My 2nd problem is that the whole site is terribly choppy. When I scroll down a thread, it's so choppy that I can't see what I'm looking for. I have to sit & wait for the page to appear (load?) in order to see if I've scrolled to where I want to be or not.

~I can't view the whole page on my computer screen. In order to click on my username to see my user cp, I have to scroll the whole page to the right just to see it. And I have to scroll to the right each time I click on a new thread in order to read each post all the way to the right.

~These are piddly & will probably be worked out, but I'd really like my senior title back, & hopefully some color and/or smilies to the site! The main page of the forum is pretty depressing looking.

Okay, that's it for now. Again, thanks for your work! Give those software guys some cookies or something. smile.gif

ETA: Nevermind about the senior title, I see it's back. smile.gif

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#321 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:

(Also, I see little red boxes with numbers in them next to some of my subscribed threads when I'm viewing my user cp. What are they for?)

Those little red boxes with the numbers is how many people have responded to your thread since you posted last. That is how you tell if there has been a new post without going through each thread.

#322 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Hmm. That makes sense, but I couldn't use that as the way to know if there are new posts I want to read. I've subbed to zillions of threads over the years, I can't memorize how many responses there were to each one after mine, & recheck them all each day, y'know? *insert tongue sticky-outtie smiley* Before the transition, I could glance at my user cp & all the threads with new posts would be highlighted. That made it simple for me to know which threads I needed to catch up on. I can't memorize the number next to each thread I've subbed to & check to see if those numbers have changed several times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

Those little red boxes with the numbers is how many people have responded to your thread since you posted last. That is how you tell if there has been a new post without going through each thread.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#323 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zjande 

Thank you for all your hard work! I really do appreciate MDC.

I've just finished reading this entire thread & learned a lot. Thanks! But, I still have to add a couple things. These are the issues I am having that are making utilizing the site extremely challenging:

~When I go into my profile to check my threads I've subscribed to, it only lists them all. I want to see which ones have had new posts added to them since my last visit. I can't sit here every day & scroll through the thousands of threads I've subbed to over the years to see if there's been a new post. How can I see threads I've subbed to that have new posts since my last visit? I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

~My 2nd problem is that the whole site is terribly choppy. When I scroll down a thread, it's so choppy that I can't see what I'm looking for. I have to sit & wait for the page to appear (load?) in order to see if I've scrolled to where I want to be or not.

~I can't view the whole page on my computer screen. In order to click on my username to see my user cp, I have to scroll the whole page to the right just to see it. And I have to scroll to the right each time I click on a new thread in order to read each post all the way to the right.

~These are piddly & will probably be worked out, but I'd really like my senior title back, & hopefully some color and/or smilies to the site! The main page of the forum is pretty depressing looking.

Okay, that's it for now. Again, thanks for your work! Give those software guys some cookies or something. smile.gif

ETA: Nevermind about the senior title, I see it's back. smile.gif

What sort of computer/OS/browser are you using? the forum width should be dynamic according to your screen. It shouldn't be set to a certain size where a lot of scrolling is needed (except on phones but that is in the works)

As the forum is completed and things are no longer being worked on the speed should be more consistent and better.

I think the red boxes are posts since you posted. I would need to ask to be sure. lol.gif

#324 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post

cat.gif
I am sorry, do please pm me your Senior Title and I can fix that (I think? I will have to try it lol.gif) The smilies show up if you paste them but not if you use the code.   The supporting member stuff isn't up yet but hopefully it will be soon.

I'll send you a PM, but promise me you'll bump it to the BOTTOM of your to-do list!   I was hoping that there was just some box I'd forgotten to check, that I could fix it myself! winky.gif  I hate to add more for you to do.....what with all those bon bons and iced beverages you mods are consuming at your leisure right now! biglaugh.gif  heeheehee  No seriously, I sure do appreciate y'all--I can't even listen to all 5 of my kids talking at once without wanting to pull my hair or strangle someone, so you have my kudos for dealing with all of us at once!

As for the smilies, the ones I used in my previous post, and in this post, were typed in by hand...I didn't paste them from a list or anything; I generally have always just typed in the :code for the ones I'm most familiar with/most frequently use.  If I'm looking for a particular one that I don't know the code for offhand, I visit the list, but even then I generally type the code in for some reason.

Anyway, I don't know if that makes any difference, but figured I'd mention it in case you are still trying to work out bugs with smilies--apparently some of them, at least, DO work just by typing in the code. headscratch.gif

Sarah, Queen of Hearts, raising a Full House with Michael, King of my Heart!
DS (2/02), DD (3/04), DS (1/06), DD (12/07), and DS (3/10)
~~*~~Not your typical Pastor's Wife!~~*~~
#325 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 09:15 PM

I know exactly what you mean I dont really like the number thing but then I only keep current subscriptions so it is easy for me to catch up on new posts.

On another topic am I the only one that has to type my reply on top of a quote because if I try to type below it it puts my response in the quoted area. headscratch.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post

Hmm. That makes sense, but I couldn't use that as the way to know if there are new posts I want to read. I've subbed to zillions of threads over the years, I can't memorize how many responses there were to each one after mine, & recheck them all each day, y'know? *insert tongue sticky-outtie smiley* Before the transition, I could glance at my user cp & all the threads with new posts would be highlighted. That made it simple for me to know which threads I needed to catch up on. I can't memorize the number next to each thread I've subbed to & check to see if those numbers have changed several times a day.

#326 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande

The threads with new posts the link is bold and the ones that you have already caught up with will be un bold. Also if you click the little + to the right of the link you can do an expanded preview of the most recent five or six posts.

#327 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 PM

I went through my subscribed threads and removed a bunch of them and now they have all came back headscratch.gif Is that just a bug or what?

#328 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 10:28 PM

I am sure I totally missed this (must be because it is now at 17 pages!), but the "Smilie" issue, is that just for "fixing" them so they work right, or also for enlarging the selection?  Because, unless I am missing something, the selection is WAY low!  And some of my favorite ones I can not find.

But, for the most part, this thread has been extremely helpful.  Thanks!

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#329 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, everyone! Thanks to everyone for their stellar patience and goodwill today. It has been a day! I would like to thank Jessica the great care she took handling this thread and all of Q&S today! I've been super busy behind-the-scenes, and I just wanted to check in really fast so y'all didn't like I'd abandoned the thread. I totally understand how overwhelming such a big change can be at first. I hope you will stick with us as we work out the inevitable kinks. I'm so grateful for the grace that has been extended to us during such a big change. There's a lot to do and learn! This is all new to everyone, even the moderators and ambassadors. We're learning right along with you smile.gif

I'm working a bit backwards and very quickly, so I apologize for any duplications or omissions. It's not intentional. If you have asked something that hasn't been addressed, please either post to this thread again or PM JessicaS, me or AdinaL. You can also email the administrator@mothering.com account and get me directly.

Some more background/help no particular order:

Smilies in signatures should be getting fixed this evening. Full functionality of our smilies will not be available until Monday (best case scenario). We had a LOT of smilies. We know how much everyone loves these little things, so these is a priority to get them back and working correctly. We should have almost all ~400 smilies back soon--so not just the limited few we have now.

The Friends feature: I was completely unaware that this feature operated without an opt-in. As soon as we saw there were concerns, I had it disabled. The developers were extremely responsive. I take complete responsibility because I should have known about any feature that we host. I offer my sincerest apologies to anyone who has been upset. I totally understand. If you want to talk more about this, please drop me a line at adminstrator@mothering.com. I want to offer reassurance that our platform provider now has a much better understanding of our particular community's needs. They are working so hard for us right now....and yes, they definitely deserve some cookies. We are working together to bring you supportive, secure and fun experience.

User badges for Supporter members are being checked by the software folks tonight. Not everyone who is a Supporter currently is showing the correct badge, but this is being addressed and fixed if hasn't been already. Again, thanks for your patience.

Quote:

My one other suggestion is that it is nice to have the page numbers for a thread listed in the forum list (does that make sense? ie. if you are looking at the list of threads in a forum, there used to be a link to jump directly to page 3, for example, not just the first page or the newest post).

We are looking forward to seeing this feature possibly by December. So, great suggestion--totally agree.

Quote:

Any idea when the mobile site will be up?  The non-mobile site is completely unusable on my phone...when I open a thread, I have to scroll down past all the reviews, then the "what users want", then it skips to the bottom of the page and I can only read the thread from the bottom up.  Since I don't currently have a computer, this pretty much means I can't use the forums

I know it's frustrating. The mobile version is coming soon. Meanwhile, we are supposed to be updating a new version of the basic editor within the next week which has been reported to be much better for phone posting. I really hope it improves your experience!

Quote:
Another vote for asking for zip, birth date, and being able to be found by email needing to be removed.

Birth date at registration has been required since COPPA was enacted to protect children's privacy. If someone is uncomfortable about releasing a zipcode (like yours truly), you are welcome to put in 00000. This would be preferable to a fake zip, please. The email issue was removed as soon as it was brought to our attention (see above). You have my word that we take your privacy very seriously and would never do anything to intentionally compromise it.

Quote:
Yes, sometimes the flashing cursor line shows up and sometimes it doesn't. I think. I haven't figured it all out yet. But yes also about the PMs; I had the same issue. I don't think my PM got sent. I will have to try that thingy from the PM inbox.

Maiasaura, can you give me some more info about what browser and operating system you're using so I can pass it on to the developers? Thanks!

Quote:

Quoting myself b/c I got missed.  When I"m looking at my subs, ther'es an option for "first post" and "last post" but I don't want either of those.  I want to go to the first unread post, and can't find out how to do that.

If you click the thread name itself on your subscription page, this will take you to the first unread post to you by default.

Quote:

As I understand it (yes, been through the tutorial a couple of times), I have no option to select one of the other nice default avatars. I'm either stuck with what MDC chose for me (did I mention I'm not a mother?) or finding a photo somewhere else, cropping it to square shape, reducing the size in Photoshop, and uploading it. Seems like a lot of work when a dozen beautiful default designs are in use -- but off-limits. Are there any plans in the works to let members select from several default avatars?

Avatars are now for everyone (unless they are abused-so please remember to keep it family-friendly). You can crop and reduce your avatar image, but you don't have to. You can upload any size or dimension, and it will automatically be sized down by our new software. A square image is going to work best because otherwise you will get some white bars so we'd recommend cropping to make it square. If anyone needs help with their avatar, I've gotten pretty darn fast at making avatars over the years. It might take me a few days to get to you, but I'm more than happy to help out or find a helpful moderator or ambassador who can assist.

Quote:

I am not getting notification on subscriptions that I have made today, since the change

These should be in place now. Instant notifications should already be going out and daily digests should go out this evening. Please let us know if you are still having problems!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#330 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

I just thought I was going to bed smile.gif One more thing: Our community calendar is not currently visible BUT we should soon have it linked in either the top or the bottom of the page. We are expecting to be able to host individual geographic calendars in each of our Tribal Areas so members can submit their local upcoming events. More details as they develop! Good night, everyone and thanks!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page