MDC's software transition information - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#361 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 AM
 
*MamaJen*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5,362
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

There are a lot of things I like about the new website. It definitely takes a while to get used to change, but I think it's pretty good overall.

There's just one thing -- the individual posts are enormous! Each post takes up half my computer screen, so I'm constantly scrolling. It's pretty annoying, and it makes it hard to read long threads. Is there any way to shrink the boxes?

Also, I would really like to still have the option of changing skins. (MDC tan rules!) smile.gif 


Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
*MamaJen* is offline  
#362 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 09:26 AM
 
JElaineB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post

I agree with a PP that the software is getting the zip somewhere else.  My Oscar Meyer ad lists my specific town, and so I went to my account settings to change to 00000 .... but my field is empty.  Hmmmm....

 

Also - I tried to write this *below* the quote..... and it wouldn't let me.

 

I agree with others that the administrators are working very hard, thank you so much!!!!

 

 


Quote:

Originally Posted by Ola_ View Post


I expect that it's probably localized based on your IP address.  Lots of websites do this as it's an easy way to find out where you are, this comes from your internet service provider.  You can see what yours is displaying as if you go to websites such as this:

http://www.ip-adress.com/

 

I agree it is looking at IP address for some stuff (the location of the store where I can purchase some Oscar Mayer turkey changed to a different location when viewed at work through a different internet provider). But I am pretty certain it is pulling info from the local computer. It showed me a Zappos ad for the exact pair and color of snow boots I purchased this weekend - seems a little too coincidental. So I believe it is looking in cookies and/or internet history.
 

JElaineB is offline  
#363 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 09:27 AM
 
Arduinna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 32,629
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Didn't I read somewhere that the co op board would be reopening? And if so when?

Arduinna is offline  
#364 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 AM
 
Chicky2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: North Texas
Posts: 2,876
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How do I get to my user CP?  I cannot seem to find it...


Happy Homesteading Homeschooling Homebirthing Beekeeping Dready (& a bit redneck even) Mama to 4 fab kids :  dd (23), dd (13), ds (11), dd (5)

Chicky2 is offline  
#365 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 09:30 AM
 
fullofgrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: New England
Posts: 15,783
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

The UserCP is now labeled My Profile at the top left of the page --

 

mdcprofiletab.JPG

 

Hmmm there is supposed to be a screenshot there. Can you see it?


Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.
 

fullofgrace is offline  
#366 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 09:52 AM
 
Norasmomma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: The sunny side of the mountains
Posts: 4,403
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I cannot do ANYTHING on this site without a serious issue of freezing.  I tried to change my avatar-frozen, post-possible freezing, just looking at a thread is giving me freezing issues.  I am using an Acer laptop with Vista(yuck I know) and Firefox, I am not having this issue with any other sites but this one.  It's super glitchy and for some reason my computer is having some serious issues with it.  Help I miss the old MDC and am really not liking this transition sinc eI barely can view the site at all.

 

I know that you guys are working hard on this, but what is going on?


Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
Norasmomma is offline  
#367 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 AM
 
Tilia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,721
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

How do we leave feedback for swaps?  It has a box for item URL and it won't let me use a swap thread as the url.  It has to be a thread started by me or the person I am leaving feedback for.  It also won't let me leave it blank.


treehugger.gifearth.gifribbonwhite.gif Anne (31), single WOHM to Karen (5)ribbonyellow.gifshamrocksmile.giffambedsingle1.gifjoy.gif
Tilia is offline  
#368 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 10:16 AM
 
savithny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pretty upset over not being able to control how many posts I see per screen in  a thread.

 

 

I assume that more posts per thread is to force more page views for advertisers?

 

Because for some of us it's a serious usability issue to have to keep clicking through pages.   

 

As a matter of fact, showing more post per page could be considered a disability accommodaiton for people with mobility concerns or people using screenreaders. The redesign has already made the site even less accessible to people with disabilities, and that's just the icing on the cake.  Thanks for putting your advertising needs over basic usability.


savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

savithny is offline  
#369 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
 
zjande's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: on the dusty homestead
Posts: 5,152
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quoting myself just to say thanks! I think I'm figuring it all out now. I understand now that the little red box with the number in it disappears each time I visit that particular thread. So I can just glance at my user CP, see which of my threads have red boxes by them, and click directly on the thread title to be brought to the first unread post. Then the red box disappears until someone else adds a new post. Got it. Cool.

 

The choppiness thing I've read is being worked on. Cool. And regarding the page being so wide.... I'll just have to ask my software/computer nerd husband to help me with that.  Because when I use our other computer, mdc fits perfectly on the screen. So it's obviously some sort of computer setting.

 

Thank you & thank you again! Off to explore some more...
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande View Post

~When I go into my profile to check my threads I've subscribed to, it only lists them all. I want to see which ones have had new posts added to them since my last visit. I can't sit here every day & scroll through the thousands of threads I've subbed to over the years to see if there's been a new post. How can I see threads I've subbed to that have new posts since my last visit? I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

 

(Also, I see little red boxes with numbers in them next to some of my subscribed threads when I'm viewing my user cp. What are they for?)

 

~My 2nd problem is that the whole site is terribly choppy. When I scroll down a thread, it's so choppy that I can't see what I'm looking for. I have to sit & wait for the page to appear (load?) in order to see if I've scrolled to where I want to be or not.

 

~I can't view the whole page on my computer screen. In order to click on my username to see my user cp, I have to scroll the whole page to the right just to see it. And I have to scroll to the right each time I click on a new thread in order to read each post all the way to the right.

 

 smile.gif




North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

zjande is online now  
#370 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 10:20 AM
 
texmati's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,865
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post

I'm pretty upset over not being able to control how many posts I see per screen in  a thread.

 

 

I assume that more posts per thread is to force more page views for advertisers?

 

Because for some of us it's a serious usability issue to have to keep clicking through pages.   

 

As a matter of fact, showing more post per page could be considered a disability accommodaiton for people with mobility concerns or people using screenreaders. The redesign has already made the site even less accessible to people with disabilities, and that's just the icing on the cake.  Thanks for putting your advertising needs over basic usability.

 

 

I think post per page is the one thing that's going to get me. I was wondering the same about it being done this way for advertisements.

 

It was mentioned up thread that the huddler people are watching these threads-- I do very much hope that they return this feature-- heck! I would even pay for it.
 


Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

texmati is offline  
#371 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM
 
ShadowMoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Sigs:

 

I can't get smilies to show up in my sig no matter how much I edit. Am I doing something wrong or is this a common problem at the moment? I see some users with smilies in their sigs so I'm kind of at a loss :-)

 

Not a big issue, just curious. Thank you!


S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
ShadowMoon is offline  
#372 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 10:29 AM
 
cristeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 14,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View PostIt was mentioned up thread that the huddler people are watching these threads-- I do very much hope that they return this feature-- heck! I would even pay for it.
 




Actually, that might be a good idea of one of the features to include for subscribers, since we lost a few features in the changeover.

Geofizz - thank you!!

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

cristeen is offline  
#373 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 11:20 AM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Originally Posted by Arduinna View Post

 

Didn't I read somewhere that the co op board would be reopening? And if so when?


 

 I don't have a time frame on that. It is something we are planning.


Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#374 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 11:32 AM
 
frugalmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post

I'm pretty upset over not being able to control how many posts I see per screen in  a thread.

 

 

I assume that more posts per thread is to force more page views for advertisers?

 

Because for some of us it's a serious usability issue to have to keep clicking through pages.   

 

As a matter of fact, showing more post per page could be considered a disability accommodaiton for people with mobility concerns or people using screenreaders. The redesign has already made the site even less accessible to people with disabilities, and that's just the icing on the cake.  Thanks for putting your advertising needs over basic usability.



Agreed - The text is also not good with visual disabilities. It's VERY hard to see since there is very little contrast. As someone who NEEDS the higher contrast and a non-white background due to visual difficulties, if it's not fixed very quickly I'll be moving on to another board.

 

I would think that this site would be subject to ADA requirements as a public web site, wouldn't it?


Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
frugalmama is offline  
#375 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 11:48 AM
 
lil_miss_understood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Oregon
Posts: 10,597
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Between not getting updates on threads, even after visiting them, not being able to figure out how to make it so that I automatically log out rather than staying logged in,  and all my old subscriptions suddenly not sending me updates, I'm really annoyed with the changes.


Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
lil_miss_understood is offline  
#376 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 11:55 AM
 
LynnS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pacific NW longing for the Midwest
Posts: 12,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

 

If you click the thread name itself on your subscription page, this will take you to the first unread post to you by default.

 

OK, can I say that I love this feature! I read through 15 pages of this thread last night, and was really pleased to go to the spot where I had left off. Very user-friendly.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

ok, so i entered a 00000 zip and a false DOB, and, while the oscar meyer ads are now gone, there are still some "ad-like things" appearing.... "reviews" of products. this, to me, counts as advertising. is there not a way to get them out of the way too, so i can see my threads in my whole window?


Unfortunately, those appear to be 'features' of the site, and so you can't get rid of them. A number of us have complained. Apparently these are supposed to be reviews by MDC members, so they should be relevant, but since my kids are now well past diaper-baby wearing-toddlerhood, I wonder just how many would be relevant.

 

There is an option in your user profile under "edit account details" where you can make it "full width" -- it still leaves the product reviews, but it is better.

screenshot.jpg
 


Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
LynnS6 is offline  
#377 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 11:56 AM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by frugalmama View Post


 



Agreed - The text is also not good with visual disabilities. It's VERY hard to see since there is very little contrast. As someone who NEEDS the higher contrast and a non-white background due to visual difficulties, if it's not fixed very quickly I'll be moving on to another board.

 

I would think that this site would be subject to ADA requirements as a public web site, wouldn't it?


This site is owned by a small business.

 

What sort of background/text colors work better with visual disabilities? 


Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#378 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 11:58 AM
 
LynnS6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pacific NW longing for the Midwest
Posts: 12,570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

 

User badges for Supporter members are being checked by the software folks tonight. Not everyone who is a Supporter currently is showing the correct badge, but this is being addressed and fixed if hasn't been already. Again, thanks for your patience.

 

When should we expect our badges? I'm not seeing mine yet. OK, OK, it's only 12 hours after you posted, but inquiring minds want to know.

 

Thanks!


Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
LynnS6 is offline  
#379 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 11:59 AM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post

 


Unfortunately, those appear to be 'features' of the site, and so you can't get rid of them. A number of us have complained. Apparently these are supposed to be reviews by MDC members, so they should be relevant, but since my kids are now well past diaper-baby wearing-toddlerhood, I wonder just how many would be relevant.

 

There is an option in your user profile under "edit account details" where you can make it "full width" -- it still leaves the product reviews, but it is better.

screenshot.jpg
 

 

Some of the categories on the review list aren't baby gear. There are also categories for books, garden tools and kitchen gear. If people wanted more categories that is certainly something we can look at adding.


Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#380 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:02 PM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnS6 View Post



 

When should we expect our badges? I'm not seeing mine yet. OK, OK, it's only 12 hours after you posted, but inquiring minds want to know.

 

Thanks!



 I don't really have a time frame on that. They have a lot of technical glitches they are working on atm.


Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#381 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:20 PM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowMoon View Post

Sigs:

 

I can't get smilies to show up in my sig no matter how much I edit. Am I doing something wrong or is this a common problem at the moment? I see some users with smilies in their sigs so I'm kind of at a loss :-)

 

Not a big issue, just curious. Thank you!




Quote:

Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

I am sure I totally missed this (must be because it is now at 17 pages!), but the "Smilie" issue, is that just for "fixing" them so they work right, or also for enlarging the selection?  Because, unless I am missing something, the selection is WAY low!  And some of my favorite ones I can not find.

 

But, for the most part, this thread has been extremely helpful.  Thanks!

 We apparently had over 400 smilies  and that did make it a bit more complicated. You will have all of your favorite smilies back. smile.gif

 

if you remember the codes they should work but they are not all showing.


 The smilies should be fully functional Monday.
 


Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#382 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:24 PM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

Another thing I thought of - will the Ignore List still work, or will I have to start all over again?



 Is your ignore list not currently working? I can add that to the list.

 

The things I don't have an answer to I am compiling for Georgia to go over with the developers. smile.gif


Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#383 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:27 PM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post


Quote:

 


Quote:

 

I agree it is looking at IP address for some stuff (the location of the store where I can purchase some Oscar Mayer turkey changed to a different location when viewed at work through a different internet provider). But I am pretty certain it is pulling info from the local computer. It showed me a Zappos ad for the exact pair and color of snow boots I purchased this weekend - seems a little too coincidental. So I believe it is looking in cookies and/or internet history.
 



 Wow really? You might try clearing your cookies.


Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#384 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:44 PM
 
savithny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,820
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

No, as a private instituteion that isn't taking federal grant money (presumably, MDC is not subject to Section 508, which would require total web accessibility.   

 

However, as good practice, it should be something MDC takes into consideration in web design, especially given its overall political (sociopolitical?) stance.   

 

There are a LOT of pages out there that give a lot of detail about good, usable, web design for people with disabilities.  There are different considerations depending on whether you're talking people who have issues using a mouse, people with visual disabilities (and which visual disabilities) and people with learning or information processing disabilities.    W3C guidelines and SEction 508 guidelines are a good place to start, but usability is far more than just alt text and appropriate color choices.


savithny, 42 year old moderate mom to DS Primo (age 12) and DD Secunda (age 9).

savithny is offline  
#385 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM
 
PGTlatte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Chicago far NWS
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am having smiley trouble...when I click smile.gif to insert one, what comes up is like a frame, but that I can't figure out any way to scroll down in.  I can only see the smileys that fit in the top part of it.  I am using Mozilla.


DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
PGTlatte is offline  
#386 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:45 PM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post

No, as a private instituteion that isn't taking federal grant money (presumably, MDC is not subject to Section 508, which would require total web accessibility.   

 

However, as good practice, it should be something MDC takes into consideration in web design, especially given its overall political (sociopolitical?) stance.   

 

There are a LOT of pages out there that give a lot of detail about good, usable, web design for people with disabilities.  There are different considerations depending on whether you're talking people who have issues using a mouse, people with visual disabilities (and which visual disabilities) and people with learning or information processing disabilities.    W3C guidelines and SEction 508 guidelines are a good place to start, but usability is far more than just alt text and appropriate color choices.



 I will send the recommendations along. smile.gif


Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#387 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:46 PM
 
Geofizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Running with the dingos!
Posts: 7,996
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

If you click the thread name itself on your subscription page, this will take you to the first unread post to you by default.

 

Actually, this is only working about half the time for me.  The other half of the time it takes me to the first post.  The little + sign on the RHS also doesn't always respond.  MacBookPro with Firefox.

 

Also, I don't subscribe to all threads, so sometimes I'd like to see the recent posts from my last log in from the forum page or the new posts page.  Then I don't see a ways to get to the first unread post.

 

Also, I'm replying here in the Reply box that pops up at the bottom of the page when I hit 'quote'.  However, if I push it into "Full Page Editor" mode, then I am unable to type my response to the quote under the quote.  There's no carriage return after the quote, so the only place I can get a cursor is within the quote box.

 

Please add me to the list of viewing product reviews as ads.  As someone who works very hard to buck the consumerist trend of our culture, they drive a perceived need.  When I'm looking for reviews on a product, I'd love to be able to tap the collective wisdom of MDC, but I don't want to have to continue scrolling past it.
 

Geofizz is offline  
#388 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 12:57 PM
 
frugalmama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)


It really depends on the visual disability - anything from modifying for a text-only webpage for those who use a screen reader, to allowing users to increase text size and have a higher contrast option for low-vision.

 

Here are some webpages that might help you get ideas:

 

http://www.sapdesignguild.org/editions/edition4/vision_physiology.asp - Look for "A "Visual" Checklist"

 

http://www.lighthouse.org/accessibility/design/

 

 

 

For myself, anything bright is very hard on the eyes and makes them tire quickly. I either do white text on black background or blue background. The old MDC blue skin worked very well for myself and a few others I know of, by just increasing the font size to around 16 or so. Every person with visual issues differs on what works for them, but generally a high contrast web page helps a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post




This site is owned by a small business.

 

What sort of background/text colors work better with visual disabilities? 




Me, 29, Muslim hijab.gif single mama to T age 7 energy.gif We homeschool.gif saynovax.giffambedsingle1.gif and Love it!
frugalmama is offline  
#389 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
 
JessicaS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 43,864
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Geofizz View Post



Actually, this is only working about half the time for me.  The other half of the time it takes me to the first post.  The little + sign on the RHS also doesn't always respond.  MacBookPro with Firefox.

 

Also, I don't subscribe to all threads, so sometimes I'd like to see the recent posts from my last log in from the forum page or the new posts page.  Then I don't see a ways to get to the first unread post.

 

Also, I'm replying here in the Reply box that pops up at the bottom of the page when I hit 'quote'.  However, if I push it into "Full Page Editor" mode, then I am unable to type my response to the quote under the quote.  There's no carriage return after the quote, so the only place I can get a cursor is within the quote box.

 

Please add me to the list of viewing product reviews as ads.  As someone who works very hard to buck the consumerist trend of our culture, they drive a perceived need.  When I'm looking for reviews on a product, I'd love to be able to tap the collective wisdom of MDC, but I don't want to have to continue scrolling past it.
 


Thank you. I will note that. smile.gif

 


Not all those who wander are lost 
JessicaS is offline  
#390 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 01:04 PM
 
rhiandmoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Jose CA
Posts: 1,637
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post





 Is your ignore list not currently working? I can add that to the list.

 

The things I don't have an answer to I am compiling for Georgia to go over with the developers. smile.gif

 

The ignore function seems to be working, but the list didn't transfer with the move.

 

 

One more thing that I noticed is that the subscription filters don't seem to be working. If you click to just show the people you have subscribed to, nothing shows up. And also there should be a filter to see just threads that you have subscribed to, although I do like the green color box showing which threads you have posted in in your subscriptions window.

 

rhiandmoi is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off