MDC's software transition information - Page 17 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#481 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 06:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Yes, I see the little red box, it is very nice smile.gif  I am wondering, though, if-- say a thread I posted in three months ago, suddenly gets  "bumped" back up with a new post.  Naturally I'm not going to be wading through  a list of everything I've ever posted in, every day, looking for red boxes.  But right now the threads are arranged in the order in which I posted in them, not in the order of which anyone else has posted in them.... does that make sense?  I feel like I'm doing a poor job explaining this.
es

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#482 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

Oh... and I got the first-level membership... does that include turning the ads off?  If so, how do I do that?

I'm so lost here, lol.gif

If it is available to you then it can be found in My Profile page under Edit account details, Scroll down to the bottom and you will see the box to turn off advertising check mark it.

Screen shot to help you see it.

screenshotoffads.bmp

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#483 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
've tried to do this already multiple times, and the change image window pops up and it freezes my computer.  I just also tried to respond to this and it froze up my computer.  My laptop is really hating these changes.  Not sure, the avatar is a small issue, but the freezing issue is making me not want to come on here.  Sorry greensad.gif sad but true.

Forgive me if you've already done this, but could you please post which browser and operating system you are using so we can help you resolve this?

Quote:

As you can see, I'm still typing above the quote. I didn't even edit it this time but the cursor will not go below the box. It will go inside the box.

This sounds like a bug that's found with the rich text editor and Firefox.  Can you tell us what browser you're using? We are expecting that there will be a release of a new editor option that sounds much more basic and should resolve the cursor isue.

And smilies are being worked on as I type!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#484 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by Kelly1101 View Post

Yes, I see the little red box, it is very nice smile.gif  I am wondering, though, if-- say a thread I posted in three months ago, suddenly gets  "bumped" back up with a new post.  Naturally I'm not going to be wading through  a list of everything I've ever posted in, every day, looking for red boxes.  But right now the threads are arranged in the order in which I posted in them, not in the order of which anyone else has posted in them.... does that make sense?  I feel like I'm doing a poor job explaining this.

Oh sorry got it now redface.gif You can make it show only those you are subed to if that helps any so you wont see hundreds of past posts. I went through mine and deleted all that I no longer wish to follow or those that are closed.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#485 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 06:56 PM

I am having the same issue about only being able to type on top of the quote as well and I am using Firefox version 3.6.12 I have been c&p the quote back on top after I type in my reply to get past it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

Forgive me if you've already done this, but could you please post which browser and operating system you are using so we can help you resolve this?

This sounds like a bug that's found with the rich text editor and Firefox.  Can you tell us what browser you're using? We are expecting that there will be a release of a new editor option that sounds much more basic and should resolve the cursor isue.

#486 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Quote:

es

Quote:
Originally Posted by liliaceae View Post

In the list of subscribed threads, is there a way to have the thread that has been replied to most recently go to the top?

This is how I worded it, but I have not received an answer yet. smile.gif

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#487 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
--SUBSCRIBED THREADS.  I see my "news feed" that shows what's going on with threads I recently posted in, very nice.  But how do I know if a thread I posted in long long ago suddenly gets a new post?  Like, ok, the old site, I would click "user CP" and all of my subscribed threads would just be in a list if they had new posts in them.  Instead of, in this new format, the threads being listed in the order in which I posted in them. 

When I click on Subscriptions, the page I see doesn't list threads in the order in which I posted in them - it shows ones with the most recent activity on top.  A couple of fairly old threads had new posts yesterday, and they moved up near the top.  So maybe you're just assuming the order doesn't change because it hasn't happened yet, but it really will when old threads get new posts.  Or maybe the "news feed" you're talking about is different from the page where I've been viewing my subscribed threads.

#488 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

When I click on Subscriptions, the page I see doesn't list threads in the order in which I posted in them - it shows ones with the most recent activity on top.  A couple of fairly old threads had new posts yesterday, and they moved up near the top.  So maybe you're just assuming the order doesn't change because it hasn't happened yet, but it really will when old threads get new posts.  Or maybe the "news feed" you're talking about is different from the page where I've been viewing my subscribed threads.

Mine doesn't put the ones with the most recent activity on top; the dates of the last post are all out of order, like a thread with the last reply being made on 11/5 is above one with a reply from 11/8.

lady.gifMama to DS banana.gif(5) and DD broc1.gif(2)

#489 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:18 PM

So far, I am not a fan of the new MDC.  I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

#490 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:22 PM

Yay for the smilies!

I'm using Firefox 3.6.9.

Quote:

knit.gifSAHM to 3 boys and 1 man; 22 jammin.gif, 9REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, 5 FIREdevil.gifand now 1 year oldtoddler.gif!

#491 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:27 PM

What does "source" mean/do up above the quick reply box??

#492 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:32 PM

I appreciate that this had to be done for some reason. But the light background is so hard to read and font is tiny, the whole layout is so confusing and the individual posts take up half my screen. And those humongous avatars are incredibly distracting - it's painful to be here now, it really is. I don't know if I'll be back.

#493 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:35 PM

hug.gif hang in there. Things are still being adjusted and new backgrounds are in the works as well as layout. So dont give up yet. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

I appreciate that this had to be done for some reason. But the light background is so hard to read and font is tiny, the whole layout is so confusing and the individual posts take up half my screen. And those humongous avatars are incredibly distracting - it's painful to be here now, it really is. I don't know if I'll be back.

#494 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks so much, got it!
hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil View Post

AHHHH!  I found it!  I'm working on Opera and I had my "speed dial" link set to my User CP, which now brings me to my profile.  And there it's the "News Feed" that says Recent Activity.  But up by my name in the upper right-hand corner there is the "Subscribed" button that I click that shows what my User CP used to show.  Okay, all good now orngbiggrin.gif  Thanks so much!

To those frustrated and feeling like they don't want to come back... I'd say wait a week or so.  It seems like they are working on the glitches/complaints.

Kelly (28), in love with husband Jason (38) and our awesome babies:  Emma 4/09, and Ozzy 8/10

#495 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

I hate the white, too. But, don't leave! I'd miss ya. orngbiggrin.gif

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#496 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:

es

For me it is working the way you want it when I click on the Subscriptions link in the upper right corner of the screen. It bumps up recently replied to posts, just like in the old User CP. I am set to have updates to site only (no email subscriptions) so I don't know if that makes a difference.

#497 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:

I did post it before but that's back a few pages, I am using an Acer with Vista(ugh) and firefox.  When I pulled up the window to change my avatar, it will bring up the window, then freeze my computer.  I can see the browse, url, etc, but when I attempt to browse through my pics it freezes and then I have to do task manager and it says "not responding".  It's happened every time I've tried to change the pic.

Oh and thanks to Jessica S for changing my avatar smile.gif

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#498 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM

I have seen a few comments about not liking the avatar size... and wanted to say I like it, it is large enough to see what each thing is now. (I'm on a desktop with an 18" widescreen monitor and still had a tough time seeing avatars before.) Just my in case that was something you were considering altering.

jessjgh1 likes this.

><> I'm a Christian, knitting, sewing, cooking SAHM to the fearless adventurer Jack born 11/08, and  a  USCG wife
And we are joyfully awaiting a new addition in April 2011! <><
#499 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 09:53 PM

I haven't made it through the entire thread yet, but I have the answer to 2 questions. 

I notice a link at the top and bottom of each page called  View First Unread which will take you to the first unread post in a thread.

I discovered how to close the smilie box.  This might only work for Windows, but you hold down CTRL and scroll to zoom out and you'll find the cancel button.  That will also allow you to see a few more smilies, if you have good eyes. To fix your screen, hold down CTRL and 0. 

LOL  I hope they fix this soon because I can't fine the smilies I want and I don't have any of the codes memorized.

Hermana Linda, Mom to The Techie (20 yrs old) and The Violinist (18 years old)
#500 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 11:21 PM

You know, I have noticed something but not sure if it is suposed to be that way.

When I am in a forum, let's say TAO forum, and I scroll towards the bottom of the page, if I click on a thread, then hit the back button, I am always redirected to the top of the page, not back to where I was.  I don't know if anyone has mentioned this in this thread, but it is quite annoying.

I use the "Back" button a LOT.  It is how I keep track of where I am.  But with the site bumping me up to the top each time, I can't keep up with where I am.

Plus, there is the added thing that it does not mark the threads I check out as "read" until I hit the refresh button.  So, unless I continuously hit the refresh button I can keep going back to the same page and seeing the same thing, over and over again.

I am not sure if I am making this clear, because it is just "minor" things, I guess, but they are annoying when I am surfing around the site.

So, if I go to the TAO Forum and then scroll down to the middle of the page, then I click on a thread there, read the thread, post on the thread, then hit the back button, the TAO page looks exactly the same as it did before I clicked.  I will not only be back at the very top of the TAO page, but if I look down the page to find the thread I just posted on it does not show that I have posted on that thread, and I will still show the "Go to first post" button on the left indicating that I have never been there.

I can check out every post on the page, followed by hitting the back button, and by looking at the TAO page, never know I looked at even one thread unless I hit the refresh button (or go forward to another page and then go "forward" to the TAO page again).  It is very confusing.

Please say they are going to fix that?

In the old forums the "clicked" links changed colors and when you hit "Back" it took you back exaclty where you were before you clicked (so if you were at the bottom, you found yourself at the bottom once you went "Back").

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#501 of 686 Old 11-11-2010, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aweynsayl View Post

re: "reviews" vs "ads"...

i pay to not see ads. these new things are for all intents and purposes, ads, placed as they are, "in" a thread, and also unrelated to the subject of the thread i'm viewing.

i feel it is only fair that you either give me the option to not see them, or give me the option to get my money back, and i will respectfully leave the community.

i do not feel this is an unreasonable request. i do understand that it may not be simple, but i do feel it is a valid complaint that deserves an answer. again, if an answer has been made, and i didnt find it in the 89 posts to this thread since i last viewed it (sort of nice to know that, i will admit!), i apologize. and if someone could point me in the right direction....... thanks!

jessicaS, i hope your kids get better fast!

Agreed. I totally understand that this is probably not at the top of your to-do list, but I REALLY hope we are given the option to hide the reviews and wish lists completely. Someone up-thread (sorry, I'm too lazy to go back and quote!) said that they aren't really ads because no money is exchanged... but they basically serve the same purpose, no? They're to encourage you to buy something. I guess I am old-fashioned, but I don't want all that commercial stuff on the forums. I totally get that MDC needs to support itself, but my understanding was that by opting to pay for an ad-free subscription we were helping balance that need for income. I certainly agree that the reviews will be useful to people who *are* wanting to buy stuff, but couldn't they just be something that you *choose* to access? Or at least something that could be disabled by supporting members?

Thank you very much to the mods for all the hard work orngbiggrin.gif

aweynsayl and lach like this.
#502 of 686 Old 11-12-2010, 02:08 AM

Why are all the issues merged in one thread?  I saw someone say it was easier for them to keep up with, but I do not believe it is easier for the user that just wants to know why the smileys don't work or how to make a sig or find subscribed threads....

I see that I can post smileys in the text by typing in a code I remember tiphat.gif  but in my sig, that is not working.  Also, when I call up the smileys for selection I have the same issue that I can only see some, and no scroll bar appears.  I have not even gotten around to trying to read threads... but I do like that I can have an avatar now. 

Please seriously consider allowing a thread per issue while we all figure this system out, I am sure it would be easier to read a thread called, "My signature doesn't work" if you are trying to get a working sig, than to have to search this thread or read a lot of posts....

To begin to save the world, we must first nurture the children. Read "The Continuum Concept: In Search of Happiness Lost"    saynovax.gifgoorganic.jpgintactlact.gifMe-hippie.gifreading.gifhelp.gif10.5 yo dd1- nut.gifreading.gifblahblah.gif ; 5 yo dd2- angel.gifhearts.gifbouncy.gif
#503 of 686 Old 11-12-2010, 02:29 AM

I had this happen, too!

I haven't read past this page to see if you got it resolved, but I wanted to make sure you knew it wasn't you... I'm using firefox. I couldn't see the purple 'edit' option, either. What I thing was that, despite appearing to be fully loaded, the site wasn't. I refreshed a bunch and then, got frustrated and walked away for a few mins- when I came back the purple edit text was there.

ETA (above the quote box bc I also can't type below...) I saw you got it worked out. So, I guess just count my vote that this really happened to me as well.

Speaking of siggies- Am I right to assume RIP colors in siggy text? Really? greensad.gif I loved people's rainbow diy tickers!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

This is the feature that I do not have.  Am I the only one?  I feel so left out! 

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#504 of 686 Old 11-12-2010, 02:41 AM

One major issue I'm having that I didn't see addressed- the reply box is SOOO fussy. Like, it will be there and disappear (the whole section) then come back. Or, there's no cursor, or the cursor's in the wrong place. I tried earlier to go back up to a previous sentence by clicking in it and the whole reply just sort of fell apart when I pushed enter to make a new paragraph. (In fact, as I type right now, it won't let me make paragraphs- I push enter, nothing happens. ???) I've tried full page editor and run into the same issues. GAH! 

reading.gifdiaper.gif ♥ baby.gif baby.gif ♥
but a lesson must be lived in order to be learned.
and the clarity to see and stop this now
that is what i've earned (a.d.)
#505 of 686 Old 11-12-2010, 04:35 AM

The smile thing is supposed to be fixed by Monday at least the part where you can see all the smilies box has all the smilies. Not sure about the siggies since I and several others are having the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karika View Post

Why are all the issues merged in one thread?  I saw someone say it was easier for them to keep up with, but I do not believe it is easier for the user that just wants to know why the smileys don't work or how to make a sig or find subscribed threads....

I see that I can post smileys in the text by typing in a code I remember tiphat.gif  but in my sig, that is not working.  Also, when I call up the smileys for selection I have the same issue that I can only see some, and no scroll bar appears.  I have not even gotten around to trying to read threads... but I do like that I can have an avatar now. 

Please seriously consider allowing a thread per issue while we all figure this system out, I am sure it would be easier to read a thread called, "My signature doesn't work" if you are trying to get a working sig, than to have to search this thread or read a lot of posts....

#506 of 686 Old 11-12-2010, 04:36 AM

Yep same issue here what OS are you using?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygrey View Post

One major issue I'm having that I didn't see addressed- the reply box is SOOO fussy. Like, it will be there and disappear (the whole section) then come back. Or, there's no cursor, or the cursor's in the wrong place. I tried earlier to go back up to a previous sentence by clicking in it and the whole reply just sort of fell apart when I pushed enter to make a new paragraph. (In fact, as I type right now, it won't let me make paragraphs- I push enter, nothing happens. ???) I've tried full page editor and run into the same issues. GAH! 

#507 of 686 Old 11-12-2010, 04:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am using OS X 10.6.4 and FF 3.6.12 and have only had the issue of being able to not type below a quoted box and only in some instances then... My reply box seems very stable  otherwise lol.gif

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#508 of 686 Old 11-12-2010, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:

Yep same issue here what OS are you using?

Completely OT but uhm... I liked your other avatar better.... redface.gif

(which is not to say it is there for my benefit... just sayin')

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#509 of 686 Old 11-12-2010, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post

Completely OT but uhm... I liked your other avatar better.... redface.gif

(which is not to say it is there for my benefit... just sayin')

I still have him as my background of firefox but the kitty makes me smile every time I see it.

I am still seeing threads I am not subed to on my sub only page.

#510 of 686 Old 11-12-2010, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post

Is your ignore list not currently working? I can add that to the list.

The things I don't have an answer to I am compiling for Georgia to go over with the developers. smile.gif

No, my list was gone.  I just started over.  It's OK, don't worry about it.

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page