Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#661 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 01:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

That's where we disagree.  I fail to see how the reviews are advertising.  WE ad the content, WE write the reviews. 

*Some* users are adding the content and writing the reviews ;) What else are the reviews for, if not to encourage people to buy things? 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#662 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post

"What users want" is going away, I believe we were told...

and "inner peace" makes me giggle there...

It will be replaced by more reviews, wikis, and tags, from what I gather.

And biglaugh.gif - same here.

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#663 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 01:49 PM

Well I suppose I'll add my two cents about some of these issues.  I personally don't mind the reviews.  They aren't distracting to me because I don't look at them when I'm reading a thread.  I can glance at them once in a while and see that someone I "know" on the site wrote a review, or that something I've heard about was reviewed.  It's not that big of a deal at all to me, and actually I like that it squishes the posts a little.  With the tiny type, my eyes get fatigued and start to jump around when going alllllllllllllllll the way across the whole screen.  It would be nice if the default type size could be bumped up just a notch or two, and some of the white space in the posts removed.  I do like the nice big avatars though.

I did have one question that seems to have gotten lost.  Are we going to get the ability back to sort threads by number of replies or number of views?  That used to be a good way to find some of the most useful threads in certain forums, for me anyway.

I'm guessing that's a site-wide issue, but just in case, I'm using the latest version of FF on an Acer notebook.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#664 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:01 PM

Hey I am removing the ABP discussion from this thread because it doesn't have anything to do with complaints about the features or functionality.

Sorry!

Not all those who wander are lost 
#665 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

Well I suppose I'll add my two cents about some of these issues.  I personally don't mind the reviews.  They aren't distracting to me because I don't look at them when I'm reading a thread.  I can glance at them once in a while and see that someone I "know" on the site wrote a review, or that something I've heard about was reviewed.  It's not that big of a deal at all to me, and actually I like that it squishes the posts a little.  With the tiny type, my eyes get fatigued and start to jump around when going alllllllllllllllll the way across the whole screen.  It would be nice if the default type size could be bumped up just a notch or two, and some of the white space in the posts removed.  I do like the nice big avatars though.

I did have one question that seems to have gotten lost.  Are we going to get the ability back to sort threads by number of replies or number of views?  That used to be a good way to find some of the most useful threads in certain forums, for me anyway.

I'm guessing that's a site-wide issue, but just in case, I'm using the latest version of FF on an Acer notebook.

We don't have the ability to search by number of replies or views atm. I personally really like searching by # of replies but that feature isn't available at this time. I don't know that there are plans of adding it unless a lot of people want it. I like it but I am not sure how many actually used that.

#666 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:09 PM

I didn't know you could sort by views or replies on the old system (learn something new every day!  I can use that on other boards i frequent!), but I can see how it would be really useful at times.  I'm throwing my vote in for adding it.  It would be much lower on my priority list than being able to change the number of posts per page and making font bigger/background darker.  I'm another person with serious eye problems and it's very hard to read here.  It looks about the same size/font as the new facebook size/font, and I'm having serious trouble there, too - and it's enough to make me eventually stop visiting - not out of inability to accept change, but out of inability to see ;).

la mamita likes this.
#667 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:13 PM

Is there a reason the reviews are only for products and not providers of services? I would love to have a section where I could find reviews of midwives, doctors, hospitals, etc....but the Pregnancy, Birth and Beyond section of the reviews just lists Maternity, Birth Pools and Post-Partum...nothing about care providers.

Also, just a suggestion, perhaps the review boxes next to posts could be replaced with a preview of the "hottest" threads at the moment. That would definitely keep more people on the site (and give MDC more ad revenue that way...) without being such a one-way/consumerist item.

raising my two sunshine children.

#668 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:24 PM

i would like reviews of midwifes also

and doctors and all sorts of services like that

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#669 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:30 PM

Text size....  Using Ctrl+ and Ctrl- still work on my browser to change the text size. This works on the facebook change too.

I know sometimes this happens by accident and my computer 'remembers' the setting I left with when I come back- but I don't know if that will work on the forum.  It sometimes remembers with Facebook and sometimes I have to do it again.  HTH

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#670 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KempsMama View Post

That's where we disagree.  I fail to see how the reviews are advertising.  WE ad the content, WE write the reviews. 

Yeah, but what are "WE reviewing"?  And for what purpose?  The purpose of the reivews would be to advertise (or directly affect sales of) products.  Therefore, it IS an advertisement.  Even if it is from MDC members.

Ad free viewing should be that, AD FREE.  Reviews are ads, just in a different way.  And they do clutter up the screen and make viewing more difficult.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#671 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:40 PM

For those who are having problems with too much white space and scrolling around... I was able to go into my account settings and hide avatars.  I miss seeing them, but hiding them has reduced the whitespace I have to scroll through.   Scrolling around with so much wasted empty space on the screens is really wearing out my eyes.  Reducing it helps a little.

I am also eagerly awaiting different color schemes.  The white background is making my eyes literally ache.  My monitor is already on the highest refresh setting it can be on so I have no way to fix that. 

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#672 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM

For those who are having problems with too much white space and scrolling around... I was able to go into my account settings and hide avatars.  I miss seeing them, but hiding them has reduced the whitespace I have to scroll through.   Scrolling around with so much wasted empty space on the screens is really wearing out my eyes.  Reducing it helps a little.

I am also eagerly awaiting different color schemes.  The white background is making my eyes literally ache.  My monitor is already on the highest refresh setting it can be on so I have no way to fix that. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcal View Post

I'm going to try not to complain but, this is taking some getting used to.  I find my self clicking into mothering and clicking right back out.  It's not so much that I don't like change.  I've been on message boards long enough to know that this happens but, this format is really difficult to use, visually. 

For me, the biggest issues are that the font is so small, I have to sit way forward in my chair to even read it.  Plus the grey/white feels really bright and difficult on the eyes. 

I'm going to keep trying but for me the eye strain makes me leave MDC as soon as I click in.  And I miss it greensad.gif

I am having a similar experience.  I just can't spend much time here with it like this, and I am sad about it because I really love MDC.  I am thinking about getting some of those yellow "contrast" glasses to try it with those on. 

DS1 March 2003DS2 Sept 2005,
and 3 , in our happy secular
#673 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:46 PM

Is it just me, or has the text boxes gotten a bit more tan?  Maybe I am just getting used to it, but there seems like less white today.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#674 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laundrycrisis View Post

Ooh, thanks!  That does make thinks better.

Trying to live a simple life in a messy house in a complicated world with : DH, DD (b. 07/07), DS (b. 02/09), and DD (b. 10/10)
#675 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 PM

Thanks for answering my question JessicaS.  It would be really nice if that feature (sort by replies/views) could come back, but I understand if nobody uses it but me!  :lol

I remembered my other issue that got overlooked, because I just tried to do it again.  The edit button, particularly in the first post of my DDC roster, shoots me down to the bottom of the page and does not open the edit window, the first time I click it.  Uber-annoying.  Then I scroll way back up to the top and click it a second time and it works.

ETA (and the edit button works here):  Again, latest version of FF and Windows on an Acer.

#676 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks for answering my question JessicaS.  It would be really nice if that feature (sort by replies/views) could come back, but I understand if nobody uses it but me!  :lol

I remembered my other issue that got overlooked, because I just tried to do it again.  The edit button, particularly in the first post of my DDC roster, shoots me down to the bottom of the page and does not open the edit window, the first time I click it.  Uber-annoying.  Then I scroll way back up to the top and click it a second time and it works.

What OS and Browser are you using?

I was having some issues with edit and quote last night but it seems better for me atm.

#677 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_daba View Post

i would like reviews of midwifes also

and doctors and all sorts of services like that

That may be something we will offer it is still being reviewed. I know that is a feature that would have a lot of value to the community.

#678 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
  Again, latest version of FF and Windows on an Acer.

Is that windows 7?

Sorry just double checking. :)

#679 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:19 PM

Yes, windows 7.

Ok, wikis....now I have read the tutorial but I guess I am still lost.  I just made a wiki out of the June 2011 DDC roster thread, but I thought it was supposed to put the text from the post into the wiki?  It didn't, I had to go back and copy/paste it in.  Then, also, I thought wikis were supposed to be editable by everyone?  The only one I see the edit button on is the one I just created.

Honestly, at this point the wikis are seeming a little bit of a pain in the butt, if they are supposed to be connected to the forums.  Eg. there's a Breastfeeding Resources wiki, but how will you ever know about it when you are the breastfeeding forum?  Shouldn't there be a way of linking them up in some way?  So that we could somehow link up the June roster wiki with the June DDC, and so forth?  I don't really understand how this works maybe...I mean, I understand wikis (I think), but I don't understand how they are supposed to be beneficial here in relation to the forums.

Kyamo likes this.

#680 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:

Yes, windows 7.

Ok, wikis....now I have read the tutorial but I guess I am still lost.  I just made a wiki out of the June 2011 DDC roster thread, but I thought it was supposed to put the text from the post into the wiki?  It didn't, I had to go back and copy/paste it in.  Then, also, I thought wikis were supposed to be editable by everyone?  The only one I see the edit button on is the one I just created.

Honestly, at this point the wikis are seeming a little bit of a pain in the butt, if they are supposed to be connected to the forums.  Eg. there's a Breastfeeding Resources wiki, but how will you ever know about it when you are the breastfeeding forum?  Shouldn't there be a way of linking them up in some way?  So that we could somehow link up the June roster wiki with the June DDC, and so forth?  I don't really understand how this works maybe...I mean, I understand wikis (I think), but I don't understand how they are supposed to be beneficial here in relation to the forums.

The mods are going to be getting those added to the  notes at the top of the page. We couldn't do the notes until the forum was live because those didn't transfer from our sandbox, so there is still some stuff that needs to be added

Some of the wikis the admins added are locked but the rest should be editable.

#681 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Ok, I see that the bfing forum DOES have a link at the top taking you to a wiki.  Is this something we would ask a moderator to do for us?  Put a link to whatever wikis we want at the top of our forums?

#682 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:26 PM

Ok thanks :)

So are all the "resources" threads going to be admin-locked?  I can't edit the few of those I've looked at.  It seems like that would be the perfect use for a wiki where everyone could contribute.  And for example, is the March 2011 DDC stuff admin-locked?  It doesn't seem like it would be, but I don't see an edit button there.  Not that I want to add to that one, just wondering how this all works.  :)  I did see that I could edit the "Dingos" one, that's the only one I've clicked on so far that I've had an edit button.

Thanks.

#683 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:

Ok, I see that the bfing forum DOES have a link at the top taking you to a wiki.  Is this something we would ask a moderator to do for us?  Put a link to whatever wikis we want at the top of our forums?

Yeah if your wiki is pertinent to a forum that can be done. :)

#684 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:

Ok thanks :)

So are all the "resources" threads going to be admin-locked?  I can't edit the few of those I've looked at.  It seems like that would be the perfect use for a wiki where everyone could contribute.  And for example, is the March 2011 DDC stuff admin-locked?  It doesn't seem like it would be, but I don't see an edit button there.  Not that I want to add to that one, just wondering how this all works.  :)  I did see that I could edit the "Dingos" one, that's the only one I've clicked on so far that I've had an edit button.

Thanks.

The ones that were locked are locked because we added those before the forum went live and the system just auto locked them during the last transfer.

if someone wants to edit a resource we can probably just unlock those.

#685 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 03:35 PM

I am going to close this thread so we can start fresh.

The issues on this thread are being looked into. :)

#686 of 686 Old 11-13-2010, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, another round of compiled questions and responses:
Quote:
How do we leave feedback for swaps? It has a box for item URL and it won't let me use a swap thread as the url. It has to be a thread started by me or the person I am leaving feedback for. It also won't let me leave it blank.

The way our new feedback system works is that it requires you to enter a valid URL of a thread that was either started by the person you swapped with or by yourself. This was put in as a safeguard so that users who left feedback had some accountability for sharing feedback to a documented thread about a transaction. Here's another community that currently uses this system: http://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/feedback/index/user_id/49036 - you can see the relationship between the two parties (who bought or sold), what the item was and the thread dedicated to the trade, and their comments. We're still working on getting MDC's Trading Post fully functioning, so thanks for your patience while we get it all set up.
Quote:
Will the Ignore List still work, or will I have to start all over again?

Ignore Lists should have been imported. Let me know if you see otherwise and we'll double check with the conversion engineer.
Quote:
Board clock is wrong.

If you can let me know where you're seeing incorrect timestamps and for which timezone, that would be helpful. Typically for this kind of bug reporting, the more specific information we have, the better we will be able to look into the issue. For this one in particular, there are many different instances of timestamps so knowing exactly where the problem is showing up would be helpful. Have you checked in My Profile tab>Edit Account Details>Time Zone? It may be that your previous settings didn't transfer?

Quote:
**If you click the thread name itself on your subscription page, this will take you to the first unread post to you by default.**

This is responding to above:

Actually, this is only working about half the time for me. The other half of the time it takes me to the first post. The little + sign on the RHS also doesn't always respond. MacBookPro with Firefox.

In the cases it takes you to the first post, has the page fully loaded before you begin to scroll? Depending on the length of the thread, it can take a few seconds for the page to process the anchor link to the specific post. If you click "View First Unread", does that take you to the actual first unread post in the thread in those instances?
Quote:
Also, I don't subscribe to all threads, so sometimes I'd like to see the recent posts from my last log in from the forum page or the new posts page.

I'm not quite sure what this means. Can you elaborate?
Quote:
I don't see a ways to get to the first unread post. Also, I'm replying here in the Reply box that pops up at the bottom of the page when I hit 'quote'. However, if I push it into "Full Page Editor" mode, then I am unable to type my response to the quote under the quote. There's no carriage return after the quote, so the only place I can get a cursor is within the quote box.

The cursor issue is unfortunately a bug with Firefox and the rich text editor we use called CK editor. We've been working to get a work around for this bug, but it's been a tricky one to nail down. If this continues to be a problem, we'd recommend trying out the BB Code Editor which is now a preference in your Account Details.
Quote:
One more thing that I noticed is that the subscription filters don't seem to be working. If you click to just show the people you have subscribed to, nothing shows up. And also there should be a filter to see just threads that you have subscribed to, although I do like the green color box showing which threads you have posted in in your subscriptions window.
For the filters, a green dot indicates that that section of the activity feed is turned on. In the case you click just on users, is the dot green or gray when nothing appears?

There is a filter on all instances of the activity feed to narrow down just to subscriptions. It is the 'Subscriptions Only' button immediately above the activity feed filter bar toward the right hand side. This will change the view to only your subscriptions.

It looks like there is an issue with the text from the search bar overlaying the graphic. It's been reported to the designer for a fix. Thanks for letting us know!
Quote:
I like to check the new posts, but used to go down the right side of my page to look for the sub-forums I am interesed in. They are not there now. Will they be back, or is there any way to get them to show up?
In the "Classic View", the forum information is now placed below the name of the thread toward the left hand side. I'm happy to provide a screenshot if that helps.
Quote:
Also in some forums, the text box for replies doesn't allow editing of pasted text or will only allow me to start at the top of the Reply box if I click outside of the box for some reason. The vertical line that shows where I am writing doesn't appear. This isn't happening in this post, but I have noticed it on a few other threads I've tried to reply to, and I could never format my replies correctly.
This also sounds like the cursor issue in Firefox. Firefox is working on a fix for the bug, and it has improved with its latest release. it still sometimes shows up. We'd recommend trying out the basic editor/BB Code as an alternative. Let us know if the browser you are using is not Firefox.
Quote:
I used to click on my user name and then on "see all posts" and then would see how many posts were in any threads that I had posted in and if the number of posts had gone up, I knew there were new posts that I wanted to check out. Now when I go to "see all posts", it does not give a post count in the threads that I have posted in. Is there any way to figure out if there are new posts without subscribing to every thread that I post in? I get waaaaayyyy too much email already and really would like to not have that be the way that I see if there are new posts.

If you go to your profile and look at your activity feed, you will be able to see all the threads you've posted in along with a red square to the left which shows how many new posts have been written. The All New Posts page (Classic version) does not currently show a number of posts since your last visit but if you switch to the activity feed version, it does.
Quote:
What are red boxes in recent activity?

These indicate the number of unread posts since your last visit to the thread.

Quote:
When I go into my profile to check my threads I've subscribed to, it only lists them all. I want to see which ones have had new posts added to them since my last visit. I can't sit here every day & scroll through the thousands of threads I've subbed to over the years to see if there's been a new post. How can I see threads I've subbed to that have new posts since my last visit? I apologize if I'm missing something obvious.

Unfortunately this is not a filter we currently offer, but it is something we want to add. That said, the activity feed should be ordered with all the threads with new content in them at the top so hopefully you won't have to scan through too many pages to see just the new activity.

I would like to thank everyone for their patience. I know it's a lot of change right now, and we're working just as hard as we can to meet everyone's needs to the very best of our ability.

If anyone is feeling ignored or has a question that is urgent, please email me at administrator@mothering.com. Due to the high volume of emails, I'm working my way through and will respond asap.

Since Jessica has closed this thread, please respond over in the new thread here. Again, thank you so much for your patience. I'm really sorry we're not able to answer your questions immediately as they are answered. I wish someone could be here round-the-clock! It often takes multiple steps and contacts to ensure we're providing you with the most up-to-date and correct information. With such a wide variety of devices, browsers, operating systems and user settings, this leaves a lot of variables. Thanks again for your patience with us! We're working hard to make sure we offer you the very best experience we can.

Have a wonderful day!

jessjgh1 likes this.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Closed Thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page