MDC's software transition information - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonegirl View Post

Oh, I think the fact that we need to input our Postal/Zip code really shouldn't be relevant.  I wanted to change my settings and had to add my birthdate and Postal code....hmmm.....I did it but didn't like it

I don't like it either.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 AM

While getting acquainted with the new setup, I noticed that I still had an old email address listed and I updated it.  I should have figured that email-based stuff like that (digests/notifications/registrations) would be the last thing to go up but I updated anyway.  I haven't received an email yet - it's been about half an hour - and I would be sad if I somehow ceased to exist here!  orngtongue.gif

To answer one of the questions about Firefox spell checking, there is a workaround and while it's not as easy ... it does give you back your right click functionality.  If you hold the CONTROL key while you right click the word, the regular Firefox context menu will appear ... including any spelling suggestions.  HTH

Perpetually TTC #1.  Let's go, Lightning!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:09 AM

I'm a die hard lover of the vBulletin organization and aesthetics.  I'm going to miss how nice MDC looked when it was vBulletin.  This new platform is, honestly, very harsh on the eyes.  I'll get used to it eventually because I love MDC enough to try... but I'll have a very frustrated period hehe.  Of all the forums I've been on though, vBulletin ones have always been the most user friendly and easy to look at.  I feel like everything on this one is weirdly big and spaced out and everything kind of blurs together all at the same time haha.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carriemama View Post

I can't access it from the link -- it says Permission Denied, and I can't see them from the index.

That's what I get, too.  It also says:  If you report this error, please include the following timestamp: 1289404824.818

Quote:
Originally Posted by L J View Post

I can see all the threads in TAO and PasP, so I'm thinking maybe the min post requirement got bumped up?

That was my guess as well.  I just wasn't sure if it was intentional or an error caused by the new software.  Seems to be the latter. 

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM

I just wanted to point out about the zip code... The forum uses it to localize your ads. Before i turned them off, half my ads were local to me.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 11-10-2010, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I'm using Safari and it's doing it. 

I agree-I like the aesthetics of vBulletin much better.  This visually is very confusing.  The organization of vBulletin is preferred, too.  I liked being able to see seperately which forum the new post was in without finding the little letters under the title.  

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Well, organizationally speaking it may not be improved, aesthetically it is much less harsh on the eyes. That's just my 2 cents.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Where did the avatars come from? I don't think I have ever seen the one that I have (I never posted one after upgrading my membershit) but they all seem different...

Honestly, I'm not fussed about the birthdate/zip thing. It says that it is not viewable and if you are still concerned, don't put your real info shrug.gif

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
Old 11-10-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post

I'm a die hard lover of the vBulletin organization and aesthetics.  I'm going to miss how nice MDC looked when it was vBulletin.  This new platform is, honestly, very harsh on the eyes.  I'll get used to it eventually because I love MDC enough to try... but I'll have a very frustrated period hehe.  Of all the forums I've been on though, vBulletin ones have always been the most user friendly and easy to look at.  I feel like everything on this one is weirdly big and spaced out and everything kind of blurs together all at the same time haha.

I agree with everything you just said

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnEarth View Post

Well, organizationally speaking it may not be improved, aesthetically it is much less harsh on the eyes. That's just my 2 cents.

I agree!  I think it's much prettier.  I was a little confused on where to find things at first, but I'm already quickly getting my bearings.  I really like the drop down menu for the different forums.  As this site is so big, it's much quicker to find where I'm going.  Barring a few minor things (smilies, access to PasP/TAO, etc) that I'm sure will be fixed as soon as possible, I much prefer this setup.

SAH Mama of two intact kiddos: Kaitlyn (31 Oct '05) and Julian (7 July '09).  signcirc1.gif

Old 11-10-2010, 09:25 AM

I have a question.  The "find friends" feature - I don't know if that's even new or not, but I've never seen it before.  Anyway, is there a way to be hidden from that so that if someone searches for my email address they will NOT find me?  I want to be anonymous at MDC, I have facebook for friends.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

Old 11-10-2010, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post

Where did the avatars come from? I don't think I have ever seen the one that I have (I never posted one after upgrading my membershit) but they all seem different...

Honestly, I'm not fussed about the birthdate/zip thing. It says that it is not viewable and if you are still concerned, don't put your real info shrug.gif

The avatars are our default avatars. Do please feel free to change it. smile.gif

The Community Profile Tutorial can be located here

http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/community-profile-tutorial 

Not all those who wander are lost 
Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiana View Post

I agree!  I think it's much prettier.  I was a little confused on where to find things at first, but I'm already quickly getting my bearings.  I really like the drop down menu for the different forums.  As this site is so big, it's much quicker to find where I'm going.  Barring a few minor things (smilies, access to PasP/TAO, etc) that I'm sure will be fixed as soon as possible, I much prefer this setup.

Me too... It is MUCH easier to navigate to specific forums this way...

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM

Oh, I suppose I'll add my general comments too.  As someone said upthread, I am initially turned off by all the changes, but I think it's just because humans don't like change.  I'm sure we will all get used to it.  There are definitely some glitches to be worked out (smilies, the preferences button someone mentioned, there needs to be a way to change number of posts on a page, which I'm sure is under preferences but I can't access) but I'm sure it will all work out.

A couple more smiley questions.  Can we not have them in our signatures anymore?  That's not cool.  And, can we not use typing shortcuts?  Cuz if we have to click the button every time, I probably wont' be using smilies, and that's too bad because I love smilies!  Let me try.  lol.gifsmile.gif  irked.gif

Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
I really like the drop down menu for the different forums.  As this site is so big, it's much quicker to find where I'm going.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
Me too... It is MUCH easier to navigate to specific forums this way...

Me three, love it!

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeoflife3 View Post

I really appreciate you taking the time and effort to grow more used to the new software. We have more features here and even more  in the works. smile.gif  

Old 11-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Ok keyboard shortcuts do work for smilies!  That's good.  However, how do we find out what they are - it used to show in the smiley box?

And, the multi quote thing just now didn't work, but abimommy said the avatars are default...is there a way to choose WHICH default avatar we want, or are we stuck with either the one we are assigned or our own image?

Thanks for your hard work administrators!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootScientist View Post

Oh, I suppose I'll add my general comments too.  As someone said upthread, I am initially turned off by all the changes, but I think it's just because humans don't like change.  I'm sure we will all get used to it.  There are definitely some glitches to be worked out (smilies, the preferences button someone mentioned, there needs to be a way to change number of posts on a page, which I'm sure is under preferences but I can't access) but I'm sure it will all work out.

A couple more smiley questions.  Can we not have them in our signatures anymore?  That's not cool.  And, can we not use typing shortcuts?  Cuz if we have to click the button every time, I probably wont' be using smilies, and that's too bad because I love smilies!  Let me try.  lol.gifsmile.gif  irked.gif

There are things that need to be ironed out, I am sure most will be minor adjustments and then will be fine. smile.gif

We will no longer have an option to change the posts per page but you will be able to have smilies in your sigs.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Ok keyboard shortcuts do work for smilies!  That's good.  However, how do we find out what they are - it used to show in the smiley box?

And, the multi quote thing just now didn't work, but abimommy said the avatars are default...is there a way to choose WHICH default avatar we want, or are we stuck with either the one we are assigned or our own image?

Thanks for your hard work administrators!

The Community ProfileTutorial is here for changing your avatar. You can enter the URLof an online image or upload one.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:41 AM

I have safari, same problem with smileys.  Really want to view all, but cannot scroll down in smileys window to view all, nor can I exit the smiley window without choosing one.

sahm dishes.gif wife to dh, AP mama to most amazing boy eat.gif 07/2009!  and 11 chickens chicken3.gif   caffix.gif   goorganic.jpg    bf.jpg  NOTV

Old 11-10-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post

The Community ProfileTutorial is here for changing your avatar. You can enter the URLof an online image or upload one.

So the answer is no, we can't change it to another available avatar on the site?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 AM

So did we lose all of our subscriptions?  How do we fix that?  Because THAT is a bummer! 

Otherwise, I don't think I have anything to complain about.  I don't know this "tan" that others are speaking of so the color doesn't bother me, it's not much different than the colors I saw before.  I think it's pretty!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:

So the answer is no, we can't change it to another available avatar on the site?

I didn't see a way to flip through the different avatars but we are also in the learning process. smile.gif You can use the URL of the image the change it to that one. 

Old 11-10-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post

So did we lose all of our subscriptions?  How do we fix that?  Because THAT is a bummer! 

Otherwise, I don't think I have anything to complain about.  I don't know this "tan" that others are speaking of so the color doesn't bother me, it's not much different than the colors I saw before.  I think it's pretty!

I will check on the subs.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

So, i just discovered a really annoying problem. I went into my CP to try to turn off ads since i'm browsing on my iPod. I tried to save without putting in all the personal info it asks for and it popped up an error window off the screen to the right. I tried scrolling over to it to hit "ok", but each time i scrolled the pg to the right, the screen refreshes and the error box moves offscreen again. I couldnt figure out a way to dismiss it. I had to hit the back button to get out of the infinite loop.

Ok, so this problem is not restricted to error messages, its any pop-up, like the one i get when trying to subscribe to a thread. The popups are completely unusable, period. I have to back out of the page to get rid of them.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 AM

I don't find Parents as Partners nor TAO.... Am I doing something wrong?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:51 AM

So it looks like in the "new posts" query, you can't see which forum they are in.  Am I looking at it right?  So there could be a "November chat" and I click on it and find myself in a DDC and not know it, how do I know WHICH "November Chat" I belong to if it doesn't tell me the forum?

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Thanks for everyone's hardwork on the upgrade...I agree that while it may take a little while to adjust, we will adjust! I (in part) do webdesign, and just want to comment that from an objective standpoint, black type on a white background has been shown to have the highest level of readability. Also, green and purple are complementary colors, as well as symbolic of all sorts of "mothering" related things, so are definitely appropriate for this board. Obviously not everyone is going to find it asthetically pleasing, but, decisions can't really be made on that - gotta be objective!

My issues: reiterating the smiley issue, email subscription issue, and concern over the lack of visible signature. Also, and I very well could be missing it, but is the "homepage" feature still available? I had my FF chart linked to that (as did others on my board) and am really missing that feature!

Wife to a wonderful man since June '04, mommy to a beautiful 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pupsnelda View Post

I don't find Parents as Partners nor TAO.... Am I doing something wrong?

No, there seems to be an issue with private forums. I will let them know.  

Old 11-10-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motray36 View Post

My issues: reiterating the smiley issue, email subscription issue, and concern over the lack of visible signature. Also, and I very well could be missing it, but is the "homepage" feature still available? I had my FF chart linked to that (as did others on my board) and am really missing that feature!

I THINK you can link them in your sig again, like old times.

User Tag List