MDC's software transition information - Page 9 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#241 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Well crap.  I don't know what happened between BEFORE I posted that and AFTER ... but now I can see signatures. 

hippie.gif+reading.gif= Peanut (2004), Pumpkin (2007) and Butter Bean!! (2011)

#242 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathenmom View Post

How?!  I cannot find that option ANYWHERE on my CP.  greensad.gif

My Profile - Edit Account Settings

scroll to bottom

under "Forum Preferences" uncheck "Hide User Signatures"

Wife to a wonderful man since June '04, mommy to a beautiful 3 year old son and 1 year old daughter.

#243 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

So, it's different!

Has anyone else complained that the font is too small? I'm on a Mac using Firefox and it's really hard on the eyes. My vision is pretty good close-up, too. No need for the old bifocals yet. It's the same complaint I've seen on facebook recently when their font size shrank. I can change it on my machine with a key combination, but that only changes that page and I like to browse in tabs so I have to change it for each tab I open. Pain in the rear.

Also, the search function is much worse than the old V-Bulletin version. It doesn't even default to most recent threads first. I like to search by my user name to check up on my posts, but it gives me threads I've started which is not the same at all. I can get it to show me the threads I've posted on, but I can't see the last reply to see if it's one I've read. Just not as functional as the old version.

Other than those two quibbles, and the Friend Finder issue, I don't have too much more to complain about.

Thanks for your hard work on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peony View Post

I'll second the hard on the eyes with a Mac. 

View>Zoom Text Only> Zoom in (alternatively cmd+)

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#244 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Is there a way to import a current thread into a wiki?  I want to wiki the roll call thread in the July 2011 DDC so we can keep track of everyone.  Is this an appropriate use of a wiki???  

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#245 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 PM

Just a quick comment.  The color scheme on the new format is much too light and is difficult to read for people without amazing eyesight.

#246 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:29 PM

I posted this question a few plus pages back, but I think it got overlooked. smile.gif How do I buy a paid subscription  on the new forum? I can see the Wiki entry about it, but no actual links to purchase one. Thanks! 

autismribbon.gif

#247 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 PM

Siggies..........

Can we no longer use different colors in them?

S~ Peace loving, natural living, FuNkY vegan mama to Keiran bouncy.gif 23/Dec/06:
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" ~~ MLK
#248 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:34 PM

So I suddenly started getting my old subscriptions popping into my mailbox!  yay!  except my subscriptions to threads that I have subbed to since the change are not coming in, like the subscription to this thread seems to not be working...

#249 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:35 PM

just my 2 cents but the "what users want" and "reviews" taking up a third of the page are uber annoying.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#250 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 View Post

I just tried to send a PM ... I clicked submit, and the little bar came up meaning it was working.  But then the screen with the message came back on like nothing had happened.  I'm not sure if it went through or not, I ended up having to click cancel in order to get out of the window.

I'm having the same issue.

Wife of 1. Mom of 3. Conquering disability challenges, one achievement at a time.

#251 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannienicole View Post

Just a quick comment.  The color scheme on the new format is much too light and is difficult to read for people without amazing eyesight.

I'm having a hard time reading posts.  I haven't searched yet, but hopefully there will be another option besides bright white backgrounds. 

ribboncesarean.gif cesareans happen.
#252 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingShaker View Post

I'm asking again...

Is anyone going to answer my question?

#253 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichokie View Post

just my 2 cents but the "what users want" and "reviews" taking up a third of the page are uber annoying.

I agree.  Is there any way to customize the view so I don't see those things?  I'm not interested in them and would rather not have them cluttering the page.

lach likes this.
#254 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by tracymom1 View Post

Is there a way to import a current thread into a wiki?  I want to wiki the roll call thread in the July 2011 DDC so we can keep track of everyone.  Is this an appropriate use of a wiki???  

Yes!! You can use the little tool that looks like a green puzzle piece in the bottom right of a post. smile.gif Feel free to make your sticky a wiki. We can then link your stickies at the top of your forum if you like. smile.gif

Not all those who wander are lost 
#255 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post

Havent tried search yet, but if you click on you username to the left of a post youve made, viewing your threads and posts is an option.

Yes, I can do this, but it's not as functional as the old way the search worked. It just shows me my posts. It doesn't show if anyone has replied after I did or not.

Plus search is really just wonky. I searched on JessicaS and you would think that this thread would come up first, but it doesn't even though it's the most recent thread. (I searched right after she posted). I did subscribe to this thread and set it to view on web and I can do that for my other threads, but that doesn't change the fact that the search is not as good as it was before IMO. I can always do a google search I guess, but it would be nice if the change in software added functionality to search instead of took it away. It's cool that there is other added functionality, but selfishly I probably won't do wikis or reviews. Sorry it seems to be a trade-off. Hope that search can be tweaked and improved.

The default font is just too small on the Mac, too. I know the keyboard workarounds, but it should be set a notch bigger IMO.

Thanks again for all the hard work. I know it's a huge job!

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#256 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummer's Wife View Post

I'm having a hard time reading posts.  I haven't searched yet, but hopefully there will be another option besides bright white backgrounds. 

Alternate skins are in development but not yet available.

#257 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post

They are going to disable Friend Finder until that can be fixed. I am terribly sorry there was any distress. greensad.gif

THANK YOU!  I did switch to a different, anonymous email this morning, but as Sihaya pointed out, that is not my primary email address.  I'd rather get my subs at my regular one.  AND, as she also pointed out, that is a HUGE security risk not only for us currently active on the boards, but EVERYONE who has EVER set up an account here using an email address that they actually email other people with.  I am kind of disappointed and freaked out that this wasn't caught before going active.  When I plugged in my email address, I saw the usernames and emails of everyone I had ever emailed that was on MDC (apparently) therefore I assume any one of them could have done the same and found my username, linked with my email.  That is the issue.  Although I am sure you realize that now, because it was taken down.  thumb.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnittingShaker View Post

Is anyone going to answer my question?

I would email or PM (um, if PMs are working) an administrator or moderator, or a couple if it is urgent.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#258 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

Plus search is really just wonky. I searched on JessicaS and you would think that this thread would come up first, but it doesn't even though it's the most recent thread. (I searched right after she posted). I did subscribe to this thread and set it to view on web and I can do that for my other threads, but that doesn't change the fact that the search is not as good as it was before IMO. I can always do a google search I guess, but it would be nice if the change in software added functionality to search instead of took it away. It's cool that there is other added functionality, but selfishly I probably won't do wikis or reviews. Sorry it seems to be a trade-off. Hope that search can be tweaked and improved. 

There was an issue late last night with reindexing the site search so some of the URLs are not pointing to the right directory yet.  This should be fixed soon! 

#259 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:00 PM

PMs are wonky (I had to open my PM inbox to be able to send one...the click on a username and send PM allowed me to write a PM, attempt to send it but never receive a sent notification)

Also in some forums, the text box for replies doesn't allow editing of pasted text or will only allow me to start at the top of the Reply box if I click outside of the box for some reason. The vertical line that shows where I am writing doesn't appear. This isn't happening in this post, but I have noticed it on a few other threads I've tried to reply to, and I could never format my replies correctly.

raising my two sunshine children.

#260 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:13 PM

So I went in and fixed my subscriptions that I wasn't getting, they were set to daily and they were all the ones that I had subbed to today, even though I had selected immediate when I subbed, so that might be a glitch.

#261 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:16 PM
Banned

First, thank you so much for working tirelessly to fix the issues coming up!  I am open-minded and patient. Just letting you know my impressions so far...

Thank you for protecting our privacy now regarding friend finder.  I know you will now be sure that we are not exposed any more.

I too wish we could change post number settings, just in case they ever make that available.

My BIG thing is how when I'm scrolling through the main forum list, about 1/3 of the page is white (I'm assuming where ads would be, I'm a paid member) so it takes forever to scroll through! Maybe I'll just use the drop down menu but I miss being able to just browse around the whole site that way! It's very unwieldy.  I did find how to fix it on actual threads-- in the profile I set it to full screen, but that only works in a specific thread, and only once I get past the tags and what users want stuff, which is so cluttering!

I also REALLY hope things get changed so we can see how many pages a thread has, and click on the last page straight from the list.  I hate having to click on the thread, then click on to the last page.  I don't tend to use new posts and all that, but I DO like to browse around and then click where I remember leaving off smile.gif

I'm sure a lot of this is just getting used to it so we don't have to think about it all, and other things are kinks to be worked out.  I'm really feeling for those seeing hurtful threads or avatars greensad.gif  But I know it will work out!

#262 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichokie View Post

I agree 100%, I can't stand this.  Is there anyway to turn that off.  If someone wants to read reviews or find items maybe that needs it's own area.  This is making my eyes really hurt too.

sapphire_chan, ElaynesMom and lach like this.

Me Wife to T (14 years)Mama to Princess(4) and Monster Boy(my 1 year old ):
#263 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:22 PM

Did somebody mention that they were able to get rid of the advertisements? Please tell me how to do that.

#264 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Banned

Are you a paid subscriber? You can go to "My Profile" and then edit preferences, I think it is, and scroll down-- at the bottom you can turn off ads, then.

I do hope they make the ads more suitable for all members, and nix the videos that are going to make it unusable for many.  But I got the ads to go away smile.gif It did have some lag time after I selected that, though.

#265 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:27 PM

It would be nice to be able to hover over the smilies and see the descriptive text, like we could before.

Also, how does spell check work?  The word is underlined but when I right click, it just gives me the option to copy or paste, no spelling suggestions or anything...

lach likes this.
#266 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la mamita View Post

PMs are wonky (I had to open my PM inbox to be able to send one...the click on a username and send PM allowed me to write a PM, attempt to send it but never receive a sent notification)

Also in some forums, the text box for replies doesn't allow editing of pasted text or will only allow me to start at the top of the Reply box if I click outside of the box for some reason. The vertical line that shows where I am writing doesn't appear. This isn't happening in this post, but I have noticed it on a few other threads I've tried to reply to, and I could never format my replies correctly.

I had the same issue earlier with pms, you might check and see if it is working now.

I will check about the text box issues, thank you!

#267 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmomma View Post

I agree 100%, I can't stand this.  Is there anyway to turn that off.  If someone wants to read reviews or find items maybe that needs it's own area.  This is making my eyes really hurt too.

From the developers

Quote:
 The "What Users Want" module will in fact be going away shortly.  That said, as we settle into our new home, the right hand column will begin filling up with related content from all around the site as we get tags onto threads.  This will pull in other related threads, wikis, and in some cases, reviews.  We are excited about it as it will help users find other interesting bits and pieces from around the site. 

smile.gif

#268 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 02:38 PM

YES, about hovering!! And also to see the multi-quotes *while* I'm replying, so I can cut and paste. It's so hard to tell what I'm replying to! Thank you for trying to make it more user-friendly...it's an adjustment for crotchety people who resist change lol.gif

Yes, sometimes the flashing cursor line shows up and sometimes it doesn't. I think. I haven't figured it all out yet. But yes also about the PMs; I had the same issue. I don't think my PM got sent. I will have to try that thingy from the PM inbox.

Me treehugger.gif Handfasted wife to M  geek.gif as of 3/7/10 , and Mama to R  reading.gif (1/31/01) luxlove.gif

#269 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Any idea when the mobile site will be up?  The non-mobile site is completely unusable on my phone...when I open a thread, I have to scroll down past all the reviews, then the "what users want", then it skips to the bottom of the page and I can only read the thread from the bottom up.  Since I don't currently have a computer, this pretty much means I can't use the forums greensad.gif

Jenny (27) partner to Michael (28) mama to Zoe (8) Selene (4) Garvin (2) and baby Gwendolyn (born 14 Jan 2011)
#270 of 686 Old 11-10-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyjelly View Post

Any idea when the mobile site will be up?  The non-mobile site is completely unusable on my phone...when I open a thread, I have to scroll down past all the reviews, then the "what users want", then it skips to the bottom of the page and I can only read the thread from the bottom up.  Since I don't currently have a computer, this pretty much means I can't use the forums greensad.gif

What kind of phone do you have? I have an android and I did find that I had to do a lot of scrolling.

Mobile is in development and I am hoping it is out soon. smile.gif

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page