MDC's software transition information - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-01-2010, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! The following is a short explanation of our soon-to-be-live new platform. This is by no means an exhaustive explanation so please feel free to post questions. The administrative staff will do our best to provide you with the information in a timely manner as best we can. Thanks!

What does it mean that MDC is getting a “new software platform”?
This means we are no longer going to be using vBulletin to host our community’s discussions and that we are switching over to a different provider. We’ve come to a crossroads with our current software capabilities and the community’s needs, so the decision was made to switch to something new. We believe there is great potential for the development of some really exciting features to better serve the wide variety of our community’s interests. We hope that you will find the new software easy to navigate and simple to learn. We have chosen a company called Huddler to provide the technology to power the community.

When is this happening and how long should the transition take?
The goal is to launch this week, but we’ll do our best to give a more accurate timeline as things develop. We are also working on getting a better estimate for downtime. Our database is large, and we’ve been told it’s safe to estimate 24 hours that MDC will be down during the transition.

What sort of features will be available after the switch that we don’t have now?
Immediately after launch, there will be wikis, product reviews and personalized homepages. We will also be adding a product review system where you can give star ratings to the natural living products you enjoy as well as the ones that haven't worked for you. As long as a review is within our guidelines, you are welcome to share a negative review to help others make an informed decision. You will be able to create lists of products to share with others what you and your family use. A new wiki system will allow you to collaborate with other members on guides, tip sheets or to create a how-to article. All members will be able to create image albums right on their profile pages. We will have a new feedback rating system for trades, swaps and co-ops. We will no longer have limitations on PM storage, and you will be able to upload images right to MotheringDotCommunity. Members can even embed videos in their posts. We will also be able to host multiple calendars for the FYT areas which hasn't been possible before. These new features should be available immediately after the transition.

We will continue working on adding more new features to make MDC even more exciting and compelling. The future holds private and public social groups, integration with Facebook, blog integration, a reputation system, chat and lots more. We're very excited and hope you will be, too!

Will we lose threads? Will I lose my post count? PMs? Will smilies transfer over?
All of MDC is going to be transferred over to the new platform, and we should not lose any content. Your post counts will remain the same and your PMs will transfer over. We have been told there may be some instances in which some recently deleted PMs may appear in your inbox, but with no PM limits, that shouldn't be a major problem. Please note that MDC staff do not and will not have the ability to read a member’s PMs unless a PM has been reported as offensive by the recipient or physically forwarded to a moderator or administrator. Private messages are just that: private.

Is my information secure?
Yes, there should be no privacy concerns during the transition. Information such as your email address and birth date is always kept entirely private and confidential. Personal data will never be shared. Basic information such as overall general traffic demographics for the site may be shared with a third party, but we will never share your personal data. MDC is very protective of our members’ privacy, and we take great care to maintain confidentiality at all times. A general online privacy reminder: always be cautious when posting and sharing personal information online.

Will MDC continue to have ads?
Yes, and we are striving to provide a balance between being able to offer our members a wonderfully informative, free site while ensuring that we can maintain and operate MDC. There will be some added commercial aspects after we’ve switched over to the new platform. At the same time, other less relevant ads will be removed. We hope to offer our members more relevant and interesting advertising from companies and products you might want to support and that are of interest to those who enjoy Natural Family Living.

I currently have a Supporting Membership, will I see ads?
You should not see any ads if your subscription includes ad-free viewing. At launch, you may need to change your preferences to ensure that your ads are turned off. This option will be available from your Account Details on your profile once we’ve transitioned over. We sincerely appreciate our Supporting Members and wish to thank you for your ongoing support of MDC!

I currently have a Business Signature package, will this be affected?
You should have all the same capabilities, and we even have a few new exciting benefits in the works to help stretch your advertising dollar and make advertising with MDC an even better value. We welcome your feedback about how we can better serve you, our valued WAHMs!

Can I still change my username?
The short answer is no. Due to database configurations, user name changes will no longer be available for any purpose unless an extremely critical security issue is demonstrated. So, if you want to change your username, you will need to do this prior to the transition which will occur in November. Afterwards, name changes will only be done for serious personal security issues such as criminal stalking.

What types of things will be different than they are now?

Basically, we are gaining a new format. We’ll still have the basic organizational structure with the same forums and subforums, only the site will soon be organized in a new and different way. Instead of one huge list of forums when you arrive at our current homepage, we will soon have a main “landing” page which will enable you to select where you want to go based on a simple tab set-up. From this landing page, you can choose to view the forums, wikis, product reviews, Mothering.com or your personal profile. You can actually view your Private Messages from the main page and check out the most recent content since your last visit. We’re going to be integrating photographs, video, discussion threads, wikis, product reviews and all kinds of interesting content on the main page. We hope you will find the new configuration intuitive and much simpler with a little practice.

Here are a few small screenshots of our new landing page:

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 AM

will it look better on my iphone?

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 11-02-2010, 01:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Uhm... I saw the word "co-ops"....

Should I be getting my hopes up?

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
Old 11-02-2010, 01:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
YES! Will it?
Old 11-02-2010, 01:49 AM

What is a "wiki"?

I know about Wikipedia, but I guess I don't know what a wiki is.

Ann-Marita. I deleted my usual signature due to, oh, wait, if I say why, that might give too much away. 

Old 11-02-2010, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marita View Post
What is a "wiki"?

I know about Wikipedia, but I guess I don't know what a wiki is.
wiki is a Hawaiian word for fast wikiwiki

taken from wikipedia
A wiki ( /ˈwɪki/ WIK-ee) is a website that allows the easy creation and editing of any number of interlinked web pages via a web browser using a simplified markup language or a WYSIWYG text editor.[1][2][3] Wikis are typically powered by wiki software and are often used to create collaborative wiki websites, to power community websites, for personal note taking, in corporate intranets, and in knowledge management systems.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_daba View Post
Yes, I've seen the iphone shots, and they look really great. The look is clean and it's simple to navigate. We also have a mobile version coming soon, so that's exciting as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackenzie View Post
Uhm... I saw the word "co-ops"....
Should I be getting my hopes up?
Yes, you can officially get your hopes up Once we've gotten past the transition, opening up a new co-op forum should be on the front burner for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Marita View Post
What is a "wiki"?
Like mama_daba already explained (thank you, mama_daba!), a wiki is simply a document that can have multiple authors and that everyone is able to edit. It's a collaborative work that's typically informational. So, if members decided to create a wiki on how their favorite inexpensive craft project for preschoolers, those who were interested in contributing their crafty picks could each edit the document (wiki) to place their personal favorites to the main list. We'd ideally wind up with a document with a wide variety of experiences and opinions that's also a great resource for the entire community. Wikis are what we make of them, so I'd like to encourage everyone to at least try them out!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2010, 09:21 AM

Will there be skins available (different options for colors on the boards)? Will we be able to hide forums/threads?

I'm not one who likes change very much, this might be really hard for me.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post
Yes, you can officially get your hopes up Once we've gotten past the transition, opening up a new co-op forum should be on the front burner for us.
I'm so happy to see this!

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
All of this really sounds so great! I am very excited for all the new changes and it looks like you've answered all of my questions, but I'm subbing in case someone asks a question that I didn't know I had, lol.

Andrea , child of God, wife of Tim , mama of L, B, J, J

Younique has new products! Come check it out!!
Earn free makeup. Join the sisterhood. Build your future.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Uh, huh... Thought you could just sneak that one in there huh?

YAY!

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
Old 11-02-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post
Will there be skins available (different options for colors on the boards)? Will we be able to hide forums/threads?

I'm not one who likes change very much, this might be really hard for me.
I would LOVE to be able to hide forums. As someone who has been TTC for awhile, having the pregnancy forum right below the TTC forum has been difficult for me.

Callie Mama to Nate and TTC Baby #2
Old 11-02-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpen88 View Post
I would LOVE to be able to hide forums. As someone who has been TTC for awhile, having the pregnancy forum right below the TTC forum has been difficult for me.
Yes, for sure! It's been very hard for me too . I'd like the option of hiding specific threads as well. Some forums I like going to, but sometimes there's that one thread that angers me, or is very painful to even see.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I am so so sooooo excited about the new forums, especially the return of co-ops!

Mama to 5 busy bees (12, 9, 7, 3, 2) and expecting #6 June/2014

Old 11-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren82 View Post
I am so so sooooo excited about the new forums, especially the return of co-ops!
Yay! We can sit together!

Old 11-02-2010, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hey, everyone! Thanks for the feedback and questions so far. Please make sure to let me know if I miss anything. I just want everyone to be prepared that it's going to be different...and I know change is often very hard. We're all going to be learning together and the admin staff, moderators and ambassadors are all here to help you learn the ropes! Last I heard, we're looking at next week for launch, so fingers crossed!

Quote:
Inititally, different skins will not be available, but these are in development. I will certainly miss my MDC Tan (), so I understand the attachment. It's definitely something we're going to want feedback on once we've moved over so that when differing skins are available, we'll have a good idea of community preferences.

No, there is not a thread blocking ability. At the new site, you should be able to "collapse" (which simply means clicking a button--similar to the ability we have in vBulletin) a forum to remove it from your view. Unfortunately, it's not a perfect solution. Collapsing those areas does not currently remove the forum's posts from the All New Posts page. The software people recommend that if you don't want to see a certain forum, it will be best for you to subscribe to the forums that you are most interested in reading so when you view their subscriptions version of the activity feed, you won't see the forums you don't want to see. We can definitely go through all of this step-by-step when we get over there. I completely understand the need to block particular forums, but we're going to be limited to what the software can do for us. We're dedicated to doing all we can to help find solutions though.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:35 AM

Tan is my favorite too! I'll miss it!!

And darn about not being able to hide forums. The alternative sounds promising though.

Old 11-03-2010, 04:29 PM

• What will happen to my warnings, punitive reprimands and demerits?
  • Will they carry over ?
  • Are you still giving them out on the new social networking style platform?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

We will still be utilizing a similar infraction system. Yes, points will be carried over so any reminders, modertor alerts or administrative warnings will still be attached to your account. Any content that is posted to the forums, wikis, reviews, etc. will be subject to our User Agreement.

Anyone is welcome to PM me to discuss individual accounts since we don't discuss a member's account history publicly. Thanks for your understanding.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 PM

will the archives be affected?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

We fully expect the archives to carry over without incident

Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 AM

Will the sticky threads be limited as they currently are? I think a return to direct individual threads being stickied will make data more easily accessible and visible to members. I think members have missed important data that used to be more readily available (and easier to direct them to when answering questions).

Thanks for all your seriously hard work. I know what a team effort MDC is and I think you ALL rock!

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Old 11-04-2010, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
The Huddler feature is called a Note, and there is only one allowed at the top of each forum. So that note will contain a few things, a list of the mod for the forum, and links to wikis made from the resource threads that were previously in the forum. So, there will be an easy to access and less cluttery way to get the info out there. Does that answer your question?

winner.jpg Adina knit.gifmama to B hearts.gif 4/06  and E baby.gif  8/13/12 (on her due date!) homebirth.jpg waterbirth.jpg

Old 11-04-2010, 02:14 AM

thanks Adina! Yes, that does answer it. I am excited about the new change. I can't wait to see it.

Now I'm just toying with the idea of changing my username before the switch. What do you think? Time for something new?

"To err is human, to forgive, canine." - Unknown
Old 11-04-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
I will certainly miss my MDC Tan (), so I understand the attachment.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DS 7 ~ DS 3

Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM

is the software that will be used software other forums can use? is it something available? was it written just for mdc?

i am asking mostly out of curiosity but i also have friends that run other forums that want to change software at some point.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, that's great. Yes, they run other forums as well. You can check them out here. MDC has done customization the software to a certain extent to meet a lot of our requirements, and there are still lots more features in development. Once we've launched, we'd love your ongoing feedback about features you'd like to see. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 PM

Will the ads be as intrusive as on other Huddler forums? (e.g., http://www.cheftalk.com/forum, http://www.epicski.com/forum/, http://www.denimblog.com/c/forum/) 'Cause I actually do click on ad links here sometimes, but if the ads fill up 1/3 of the page it may be enough to keep me away.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:47 PM

will adblock plus for firefox still work?

Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
Will the ads be as intrusive as on other Huddler forums? (e.g., http://www.cheftalk.com/forum, http://www.epicski.com/forum/, http://www.denimblog.com/c/forum/) 'Cause I actually do click on ad links here sometimes, but if the ads fill up 1/3 of the page it may be enough to keep me away.
There are ads on those sites?

User Tag List