? subscribed forums/user CP? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 11-12-2010, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I see subscribed threads in my "subscriptions" but can't find a user control panel or listing of subscribed forums, i.e. due date clubs or tribes. Thanks!!

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#2 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 02:19 AM

I will have to check on that. I am sorry.

Thank you. :)

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Another question about subscriptions.  Why aren't my subscribed threads showing up in my email?  As far as I can tell, I still have them subscribed as a daily email but they aren't showing up in my morning email like they used to.

Chris

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#4 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 01:45 PM

I also have a forum issue.  I want to subscribe to a few forums, like I used to, but when I click on subscriptions it lists out ALL the threads from everything I've subscribed including the new threads from the subscribed forums- so it isn't really what I wanted.  There's an option for 'lists' but I don't know what that does- and it doesn't list the forums.

Is there going to be a way like in the old UserCP where I can go to just see my subscribed forums?

In my old UserCP I'd see any new threads that had new posts and then under that the forums were listed and I could take a glance at the new posts or click on the forum I wanted to check.  It was very useful to me.

Just want to know what the new options are- I'll probably just unscubscribe from the forums if it isn't going to work like it used to (or some equivalent) and then bookmark the ones I want to check more often.

Thanks!

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#5 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

I also have a forum issue.  I want to subscribe to a few forums, like I used to, but when I click on subscriptions it lists out ALL the threads from everything I've subscribed including the new threads from the subscribed forums- so it isn't really what I wanted.  There's an option for 'lists' but I don't know what that does- and it doesn't list the forums.

Is there going to be a way like in the old UserCP where I can go to just see my subscribed forums?

In my old UserCP I'd see any new threads that had new posts and then under that the forums were listed and I could take a glance at the new posts or click on the forum I wanted to check.  It was very useful to me.

Yep- that's exactly what I meant, mama.  Without the organization of subscribed forums, it's really overwhelming (and difficult!) to find certain things...to be honest, I had trouble locating this thread because there were SO many in my subscriptions.  (Subscribed forums in the User CP seemed to clean this up)

J - Birth doula and *very* grateful mama to bouncy Q, fancy F, and mighty F!

#6 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 02:36 PM

I wasn't sure, lol- now I'm encouraged though, because it sounds like it should work since it is being looked into.  Yeah- I hope!

Thanks MDC admins and all for all the work going in to this changeover. 

Jessica

Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#7 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 02:40 PM

Oh, so if this helps...  if I click on "Forums" I get a message that says 'We couldn't find any subscription activity. Try adding stuff to your list!"

When I click on lists it goes to this screen:  http://www.mothering.com/subscribe

I'm using Firefox on some version of Microsoft

Jessica

#8 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 03:15 PM

To determine which version of Microsoft Windows you are running:

1. On the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, click Start, and then click Run.
  2. In the Run dialog box, type: winver.

If you don't have a "Run" but just a  box at the bottom of the Start menu type it there.

#9 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 07:19 PM

Windows 7 Home Premium?  Does that tell you what you need.  Gee, I thought it was Vista- dh and I are troubleshooting a (separate) hardware issue, so I'll have to run that by him.

Jessica

#10 of 29 Old 11-13-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:

Windows 7 Home Premium?  Does that tell you what you need.  Gee, I thought it was Vista- dh and I are troubleshooting a (separate) hardware issue, so I'll have to run that by him.

Jessica

I have windows 7 :) I used to have vista and I like windows 7 quite a lot better.

jessjgh1 likes this.

#11 of 29 Old 11-14-2010, 02:40 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinbearzmama View Post

I see subscribed threads in my "subscriptions" but can't find a user control panel or listing of subscribed forums, i.e. due date clubs or tribes. Thanks!!

They are all contained in Subscriptions. To sort them into type click on Edit My Subscriptions then click on the Sort by tab and click on Type. Forums should then be the first thing listed. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post

Another question about subscriptions.  Why aren't my subscribed threads showing up in my email?  As far as I can tell, I still have them subscribed as a daily email but they aren't showing up in my morning email like they used to.

Chris

Sorry to give a generic reply but have you checked your spam/trash to see if they are going there? If there's nothing there either then try changing one of your subscribed threads settings and see if that kicks it into action. It may be that your settings were carried over but are not functioning as they should. So under "Frequency" change one of your subscribed threads to "Daily Email". If that does not kick notifications into action please let us know. 

Quote:

Just want to know what the new options are- I'll probably just unscubscribe from the forums if it isn't going to work like it used to (or some equivalent) and then bookmark the ones I want to check more often.

Thanks!

Jessica

You can order your subscriptions by Type, Title/User, Frequency, and Start Date. Type will place all your forum subscriptions at the top of the list. I have placed a "More compartmentalized organization of subscriptions" on our development list. :)

Quote:

Quote:

Yep- that's exactly what I meant, mama.  Without the organization of subscribed forums, it's really overwhelming (and difficult!) to find certain things...to be honest, I had trouble locating this thread because there were SO many in my subscriptions.  (Subscribed forums in the User CP seemed to clean this up)

So sorry. I totally understand and hope we can improve on this in the near future. But for now, try the sorting feature so that your subscribed forums are at the top of the list. 

Quote:

I wasn't sure, lol- now I'm encouraged though, because it sounds like it should work since it is being looked into.  Yeah- I hope!

Jessica

The admin and mod team has been working very hard to work through things and give everyone the help they need to learn their way around our new neighborhood. We appreciate your thanks! :)

#12 of 29 Old 11-14-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post
Quote:

Jessica

I have windows 7 :) I used to have vista and I like windows 7 quite a lot better.

Yep, didn't like Vista(-;  But all that stuff is usually my dh's idea and he has a knack of upgrading just after I've taken the time to organize/learn/customize something that gets undone in the upgrade. I hit the like on your post, but then I figured you probably don't get 'notified' about it.  And I can test out something in the process....  Jessica

#13 of 29 Old 11-14-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:

They are all contained in Subscriptions. To sort them into type click on Edit My Subscriptions then click on the Sort by tab and click on Type. Forums should then be the first thing listed. 

Quote:

Thanks!

Jessica

You can order your subscriptions by Type, Title/User, Frequency, and Start Date. Type will place all your forum subscriptions at the top of the list. I have placed a "More compartmentalized organization of subscriptions" on our development list. :)

Quote:

Quote:

So sorry. I totally understand and hope we can improve on this in the near future. But for now, try the sorting feature so that your subscribed forums are at the top of the list. 

Quote:

Jessica

The admin and mod team has been working very hard to work through things and give everyone the help they need to learn their way around our new neighborhood. We appreciate your thanks! :)

Repeating Quote Cynthia Mosher:

"You can order your subscriptions by Type, Title/User, Frequency, and Start Date. Type will place all your forum subscriptions at the top of the list. I have placed a "More compartmentalized organization of subscriptions" on our development list. :)"

That works okay for forums... but then the posts are in a very bad order- could it be changed so the newest posts are displayed instead of the oldest? 

Also, it doesn't seem to 'remember' what I set it to, so I'd have to change that every time if I wanted to sort a specific way.

I think I can work around this all till it is worked on, too.... just not sure if I'm getting what you think I'm getting

Also, I'm not pulling up the old thread (error message on them) from my subscribed thread....

One example:  http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/37449/anybody-in-quincy-braintree-hingham-or-nearby

Oops, adding the error message: 

Permission denied!
If you report this error, please include the following timestamp: 1289788963.0412

Jessica

#14 of 29 Old 11-14-2010, 06:51 PM

I am feeling very overwhelmed and stupid. There is NO way I can get my subscribed threads to come to my e-mail. I've tried every direction I can see to go. Have changed and re-changed daily e-mail notifications, and have found and re-subscribed to some topics to see if that would bring them through. Nothing! :(

#15 of 29 Old 11-14-2010, 11:08 PM

Let me check into this some more for you. I totally understand it's a lot of change hug.gif

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#16 of 29 Old 11-15-2010, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

They started showing up in my email this morning.  So maybe it just took another day or 2 get that going.  I didn't have to check my spam email but that was a good suggestion.  I have had that happen before when I was expecting a reply and it was a long time in coming.  It was in my spam folder.

Chris

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#17 of 29 Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 AM

Thanks for letting us know, Chris. Glad they showed up!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#18 of 29 Old 11-20-2010, 01:41 PM

I see all my posting activity in my profile, but it seems that when someone responds to a post, it does not get bumped to the top of the list.  Therefore, I have to keep going back through the old posts to look for them.  In vBulletin, they would jump to the top of the list when someone responded.  I also notice that unsubscribing from a thread does not remove them from that list.  As I post more, this is going to get very cumbersome and I am going to miss replies unless I resort to using email, which I would really rather not do. 

Hermana Linda, Mom to The Techie (20 yrs old) and The Violinist (18 years old)
#19 of 29 Old 11-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Administrator

BFandHS are you talking about your own posting activity in your profile? That will show only your most recent posting activity and will not show a new post by someone else.

For new posts you can go here http://www.mothering.com/community/forum.php?action=newposts

Does that work for you?

#20 of 29 Old 11-23-2010, 05:57 PM

Cynthia, thank you for your reply.   What I am looking for is replies to my subscriptions.  So far it's working as far as showing me when there are new posts.  BUT, I have to scroll through all the pages of them because it doesn't bump them.  On vBulletin it shows new replies to our subscriptions right in the CP.  That is what I am looking for.  Can you help?

#21 of 29 Old 11-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Administrator

Walk me through exactly where you are going and what you are looking at AND what your settings are for your view. If you can give me a screenshot of your My Subscriptions page - the first ten would be fine - I'll take a close look. smile.gif

#22 of 29 Old 11-23-2010, 10:21 PM

Actually, it's my profile near the bottom under Recent Activity.  I'll take a screen shot the next time there is an update there.  I'ts the same thing in My Subscriptions.  

#23 of 29 Old 11-24-2010, 04:12 PM

Ok, here is a screen shot. As you can see, the threads which have new replies have not been bumped because one of them is below this thread which had no replies.  If one of the older threads had replies, it would also not be bumped.  Therefore I have to click on More until I check back over every thread in which I have ever posted to check for new replies.  

Photobucket

#24 of 29 Old 11-25-2010, 03:28 AM
Administrator

Would you please upload the screenshot as an image in your post. It looks like you placed it as a URL and the image shows but it's too small to see anything and if I click on it I get taken to Photobucket's homepage. Thanks! :)

#25 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 02:32 PM

mdc.jpg

Sorry, I didn't know that I could do that.  redface.gif

#26 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Administrator

If you click on "Subscriptions Only" which is just above "Settings" does that give you a list of new posts to threads you are subscribed to and bump the most recent to the top?

#27 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 11:27 PM

I have clicked that before and it never seemed to do anything.  But I'll try again.  

#28 of 29 Old 11-26-2010, 11:38 PM

Ok, when I clicked Subscriptions Only from my profile page, it didn't do anything.  I found an update on the 3rd page but didn't click on it so I could use it as a test.  I then clicked on Subscriptions and tried it there and it made the update move to the first page but not on top.  At least it's no longer on the 3rd page.  ;-)

mdc.jpg

#29 of 29 Old 11-27-2010, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Try it that way for awhile and see if it works for you. smile.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page