MDC's software transition information **NEW THREAD** - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#121 of 137 Old 11-17-2010, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I want the codes to come back for smilies!  Is this one of the things that is being worked on?  (I admit to not reading the whole thread)

Stuff like :lol :candle :yeah is not working for me at least.  I'm using Windows 7 on an Acer laptop and the latest version of Firefox.

Mommy to an exuberant 3 yo bouncy.gif and a new one!  nak.gif

#122 of 137 Old 11-17-2010, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
ok, I switched to bb editor. Let's try this. lol.gif

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#123 of 137 Old 11-17-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by BarefootScientist
I want the codes to come back for smilies! Is this one of the things that is being worked on? (I admit to not reading the whole thread)

Stuff like lol.gifcandle.gifyeahthat.gif is not working for me at least. I'm using Windows 7 on an Acer laptop and the latest version of Firefox.

The latest from Georgia today on the smile issues.
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by georgia AHi, everyone! Thanks for hanging in here with us while we investigate the variety of issues still being reported and encountered. I really appreciate your taking the time to let us know so we can get everything working more smoothly for you. We definitely understand the frustration felt and are working as fast as we can to make things right!

If you are missing a button or a tab that you previously had access to, one thing to try is to log out of the site, clear your browser's cache and cookies and then log back in. If this doesn't resolve your missing feature, please let us know.

The All New Posts button should be located in the Forum Navigation Bar at the top, right above the thread's title.

The team is still investigating smilie issues. We know we've had specific problems with the knitting smilie, MDC Rocks, champagne and Happy Birthday smilies not being able to be posted. I understand that some aren't able to post any smilies, some can only post one. We should have the ability to post unlimited smilies once a member has reached a 7 day and 10 post threshold, so obviously things still aren't where we need them to be. I know how much folks love the smilies, so this is definitely being addressed.

For anyone who is experiencing cursor or quoting issues, a fix can be to default back to the BB Code editor. Please see this for more information. It can help. I know how frustrating editor problems are!
BB code does not work in signatures
The BB code editor preference does not currently extend to the signature editor or to wikis. We are developing a fix so we can carry this ability over to both signatures and wikis. So, this means for those of us using the BB Code editor, we can't just type in the code of the smilie--we actually have to manually select it from the smilie pop-up box.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#124 of 137 Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

I'm pretty sure this was my post.

I almost always browse MDC using the "All New Posts" option rather than going to individual sections. On the old MDC the number of new posts would vary depending on how recently I'd been on. Sometimes there'd only be 20 new posts, sometimes there'd be 362 new posts. Since the new MDC was launched there are always exactly 200. Which means that either I'm missing some (lots?) or some are being duplicated.

Also, when I click on a thread in New Posts to read it, when I click back to new posts after reading the thread the page of New Posts has all different threads in it. Is New Posts being updated while I'm reading a thread? And is there any way to stop that happening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

Quote:
Also, I am still getting exactly 200 new posts everytime I use the new post function.Could someone tell me what that is about please.

Can you please explain a bit more about what you are asking?

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#125 of 137 Old 11-17-2010, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

I almost always browse MDC using the "All New Posts" option rather than going to individual sections. On the old MDC the number of new posts would vary depending on how recently I'd been on. Sometimes there'd only be 20 new posts, sometimes there'd be 362 new posts. Since the new MDC was launched there are always exactly 200. Which means that either I'm missing some (lots?) or some are being duplicated.

Also, when I click on a thread in New Posts to read it, when I click back to new posts after reading the thread the page of New Posts has all different threads in it. Is New Posts being updated while I'm reading a thread? And is there any way to stop that happening?

Quote:

Quote:
Also, I am still getting exactly 200 new posts everytime I use the new post function.Could someone tell me what that is about please.

You can distinguish newer posts by the thread icons

newposts.PNG

Does that help?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#126 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 02:44 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post

Quote:

Quote:

You can distinguish newer posts by the thread icons

newposts.PNG

Does that help?

Not really. Sorry. Am I not explaining properly what the problem is or is it just that this is the way it is now and I need to get used to the change?

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#127 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 04:28 AM

katelove, I understand what you are asking.  To fix the issue of it updating while you read, you can toggle to the "Activity feed" view at the top of the new posts page. The 200 posts I don't know the answer to.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#128 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 05:06 AM

I haven't checked this thread in a while and haven't checked all the new posts (sorry), but what is the status on subscribed forums?

Also, when I am in my CP (or whatever it's called now, after I click on my name in the upper right corner) it is showing me all of the threads that I have commented in, regardless of whether I am subscribed or not. Clicking "subscriptions only" doesn't change anything.

ETA: Ok. This is partly my fault. I'm realizing that I am confusing "Your Recent Activity" with "My Subscriptions". (Heh, why is one "yours", but the other "mine"?) But now I see that in "My Subscriptions" I can hit the "SUBSCRIPTIONS ONLY" link and toggle between my subscriptions and what? all new activity? I think most of what I want (besides forum subscriptions) is there, but the labeling is confusing.

#129 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 05:11 AM

So, did anyone say yet how to get the multi-quote function to work?  I'm on Mac/Safari

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#130 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

So, did anyone say yet how to get the multi-quote function to work?  I'm on Mac/Safari

Just click multi-quote on all the posts you want to quote and then quote on the last one.

#131 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

So, did anyone say yet how to get the multi-quote function to work? I'm on Mac/Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta 
Just click multi-quote on all the posts you want to quote and then quote on the last one.

Or hit the multi's on the ones you want then click Post A Reply and it will bring the multi quotes with it.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#132 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by homemademom View Post

So, did anyone say yet how to get the multi-quote function to work? I'm on Mac/Safari

Quote:
Originally Posted by capretta 

Or hit the multi's on the ones you want then click Post A Reply and it will bring the multi quotes with it.

Thanks!  FYI, Capretta's suggestion worked, but yours didn't MC.  When I clicked "post reply" it brought up a blank screen, despite the fact that I pushed multi quote on both posts.  

I love homemade: cute skirts, apricot jam, and family! 
#133 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebug View Post

i have 2 things and i really would take the time to read the whole thread, but i dont have the energy :(

i do not have a "all new post" button anymore... i had it the other day, but its gone now.

also... i cant find the edit button. i posted in the wrong thread and went to edit and i could not see how to do it. i thought maybe that feature was removed until i see others editing their posts...

thanks for the help!

ps... i am sure it has everything to do with being new, but i find this program MUCH less user friendly. i will update my view as time goes on... right now i am not in love!

Is the "view new posts" button missing from all the pages ie main forum page and individual threads? We dont have one on our profile page or our subscribed threads page but hopefully that will change in the future.

The edit button should be at the bottom of you post box on the left hand side next to the red flag report button (anyone else find it a bit odd to be able to report your own post :p )

Here is a screenshot

screenshoteditbutton.bmp

THANKS!!! the Edit button is now on all my post... thank god!!!

the 'new post' button is just as you said. i really hope that it returns to all pages soon. i use that as a return point :lol

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#134 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 09:12 AM

Is there a timeline available for the things getting fixed, or are somethings not going to be possible? I'm wondering about hiding specific forums and/or threads. If it's not possible to do, then I need to know right away. I don't want to be waiting months & then find out "no, we can't do that".

#135 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama~Love View Post

Is there a timeline available for the things getting fixed, or are somethings not going to be possible? I'm wondering about hiding specific forums and/or threads. If it's not possible to do, then I need to know right away. I don't want to be waiting months & then find out "no, we can't do that".

We won't be able to hide specific threads but I will check on the forums issue, I am sorry there was a delay.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#136 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 09:53 AM

I'm going to close this thread to new posts since I realize it's getting long for everyone to wade through. Please start a new thread for any new questions that you haven't seen posted or if you're still having problems and you've not gotten a satisfactory response. I think at this point, individual threads will be more effective to make sure your questions aren't getting lost in the volume of a huge thread.

I'll also create a new thread to organize the different software issues and offer a status/timeline.

Thanks, everyone!
WindyCityMom likes this.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#137 of 137 Old 11-18-2010, 08:23 PM

Update! If I've asked a question that requires a response, please feel free to PM me so we can talk about your issue some more. We want to make sure everyone is being helped in a timely manner. I know we all what the features to work like we need them to to so we can start settling down in our new home!

One of the primary issues we've been working on is the disappearing smilie issue from our signatures. We're working as fast as we can to get this fixed.

We are also working on the smilie popup being too large on particular resolution monitors.
Quote:
"When you hover over Forums at the top, a drop down menu appears where you are supposed to click on the forum you want. If I use this menu as soon as I load the page, it works fine. But if I scroll down to read something, then back up to use the menu, the menu appears with a big space between the word Forums and the menu. When the mouse goes into that space, the menu disappears, so it is impossible to use the menu. I am adding a screenshot to show what I mean.
Screenshot located----http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1279177/mdc-s-software-transition-information-new-thread/40#post_16043997
Are you scrolling down with a scroll wheel on a mouse? The menu is supposed to disappear any time you are not moused over it.
Quote:
I also discovered (while trying to add said screenshot) that when I hit the image button to add an image to my post, the whole screen greyed out, but the image choosing box was not on the screen. I scrolled waaaaaaay up and eventually found it appeared from the BOTTOM of the screen as I scrolled UP. Then after adding the photo I have to scroll way back down to see the post editor again. I am using the post editor at the bottom of the thread. Weird.
I have Windows 7 and Chrome 7.0.517.44 (up to date).
"
Developers have this on their to-fix list. Thanks for mentioning it!
Quote:
Firefox on a Mac.
Beta Activity Feed: If I page down with the More tab at the bottom to get the next 20, read one of those threads, then hitting the back button takes me back to activity feed with just posts 1-20 on it, not the additional ones below it I'd already accessed. This makes the Activity Feed pretty useless for how I use it.
Screenshot located----http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1279177/mdc-s-software-transition-information-new-thread/40#post_16043997

Thanks for posting to let us know; we are fixing this.
Quote:
...that explanation did not get me forum subscriptions working in any way I can use. I can sort by forum, but then when I click on my subscriptions, it just lists all the thread in the forum, not providing just a simple link to the forum with maybe an indication of the most recent thread there.
We are in discussion to see if we can have this feature enhanced in the future.
Quote:
When I went to Your Recent Activity in My Profile, I then tried clicking Forums. I got a listing of wikis I've created. When I click on Wikis, I get "We couldn't find any content for this page."
This sounds like likely you may have possibly turned off all of the filters on the activity feed. The dot next to Forums or Wikis should be green if this channel is "turned on" in the activity feed. It will be gray if it is turned off. Our best guess is that this you may have turned off all the content types Products, Forums, Wikis and Profiles which then resulted in the "no content found" error message.
Quote:
I added a smilie to one of my posts, and after I clicked on the one I wanted, I got a blank grey screen. It turned out to be a big grey area underneath the rest of the page, and scrolling up took me back to see my post.
Can you let us know what browser and O/S, please?
Quote:
I posted about the space above the drop down forum menu when scrolling earlier, I noticed this applies to the drop down under each posters name too. It makes them unclickable. Windows 7 and Chrome.
We're working to fix this, thank you for letting us know.
Quote:
The All New Posts page is similar to the My Subscriptions page in that it does not currently filter down to just threads with new content since the last time you were on the site. It includes everything which has most recently been posted to in chronological order. As an example, even if you marked everything as read, you would still see threads on the All New Posts page, they would just have unbolded titles and a gray icon next to their name indicating their "read" status. We can see if this is something we can get an enhancement for in the future.
Quote:
When you reload the New Posts page, it should update with all the latest content. Unfortunately there is no way to "pause" the page.
Quote:
When clicking on "New Posts" the 200 most recent posts come up and they all show the "new posts" icon" whether there have been new posts or not
The New Posts page should reflect both read and unread status. We are seeing though that the page does have to be refreshed after you view a thread and then go back to the New Posts page. Without a reload, the icon will remain the same.
Quote:
it is new posts but the same ones over and over again every time i go to the next page to see more. then if i click on a thread to read it, and then try to go back to new posts, the new posts page is refreshed. i want to look at one list of new posts. if i want to refresh the list i would click the all new post button again. but i dont. i want to read ALL the new posts as they are the one time i asked for them.
Given the volume of content being created at MDC, threads do turn over very quickly. We are working with the developers to see what solutions we can come up with to offer everyone a more meaningful new post feature.
Quote:

Windows XP
Firefox 3.5.15
When I am quoting a post to reply to,
Quote:
A Paragraph marker is not being added to the end of the code. so I have been adding one using the source window, and then switching back to normal view.
[/QUOTE
]http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1279177/mdc-s-software-transition-information-new-thread/60#post_16047328

This issue was one Firefox was working on with their Firefox 3.6.11 release, and I've been told the most updated version is reportedly much better. Our team is still actively developing ways to work around Firefox's little quirks with our new editor. Thank you for your patience!

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page