MDC's software transition information **NEW THREAD** - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

This is a continuation of the other thread which can be located here. :)

IF YOU ARE HAVING A TECHNICAL DIFFICULTY, PLEASE MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR DEVICE'S BROWSER AND OPERATING SYSTEM - INCLUDING THEIR VERSIONS - IN YOUR POST. This will help us more quickly pinpoint the problem in an effort to find a solution. Thank you!

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1276049/mdc-s-software-transition-information

Hi! The following is a short explanation of our soon-to-be-live new platform. This is by no means an exhaustive explanation so please feel free to post questions. The administrative staff will do our best to provide you with the information in a timely manner as best we can. Thanks!

What does it mean that MDC is getting a “new software platform”?
This means we are no longer going to be using vBulletin to host our community’s discussions and that we are switching over to a different provider. We’ve come to a crossroads with our current software capabilities and the community’s needs, so the decision was made to switch to something new. We believe there is great potential for the development of some really exciting features to better serve the wide variety of our community’s interests. We hope that you will find the new software easy to navigate and simple to learn. We have chosen a company called Huddler to provide the technology to power the community.

When is this happening and how long should the transition take?
The goal is to launch this week, but we’ll do our best to give a more accurate timeline as things develop. We are also working on getting a better estimate for downtime. Our database is large, and we’ve been told it’s safe to estimate 24 hours that MDC will be down during the transition.

What sort of features will be available after the switch that we don’t have now?
Immediately after launch, there will be wikis, product reviews and personalized homepages. We will also be adding a product review system where you can give star ratings to the natural living products you enjoy as well as the ones that haven't worked for you. As long as a review is within our guidelines, you are welcome to share a negative review to help others make an informed decision. You will be able to create lists of products to share with others what you and your family use. A new wiki system will allow you to collaborate with other members on guides, tip sheets or to create a how-to article. All members will be able to create image albums right on their profile pages. We will have a new feedback rating system for trades, swaps and co-ops. We will no longer have limitations on PM storage, and you will be able to upload images right to MotheringDotCommunity. Members can even embed videos in their posts. We will also be able to host multiple calendars for the FYT areas which hasn't been possible before. These new features should be available immediately after the transition.

We will continue working on adding more new features to make MDC even more exciting and compelling. The future holds private and public social groups, integration with Facebook, blog integration, a reputation system, chat and lots more. We're very excited and hope you will be, too!

Will we lose threads? Will I lose my post count? PMs? Will smilies transfer over?
All of MDC is going to be transferred over to the new platform, and we should not lose any content. Your post counts will remain the same and your PMs will transfer over. We have been told there may be some instances in which some recently deleted PMs may appear in your inbox, but with no PM limits, that shouldn't be a major problem. Please note that MDC staff do not and will not have the ability to read a member’s PMs unless a PM has been reported as offensive by the recipient or physically forwarded to a moderator or administrator. Private messages are just that: private.

Is my information secure?
Yes, there should be no privacy concerns during the transition. Information such as your email address and birth date is always kept entirely private and confidential. Personal data will never be shared. Basic information such as overall general traffic demographics for the site may be shared with a third party, but we will never share your personal data. MDC is very protective of our members’ privacy, and we take great care to maintain confidentiality at all times. A general online privacy reminder: always be cautious when posting and sharing personal information online.

Will MDC continue to have ads?
Yes, and we are striving to provide a balance between being able to offer our members a wonderfully informative, free site while ensuring that we can maintain and operate MDC. There will be some added commercial aspects after we’ve switched over to the new platform. At the same time, other less relevant ads will be removed. We hope to offer our members more relevant and interesting advertising from companies and products you might want to support and that are of interest to those who enjoy Natural Family Living.

I currently have a Supporting Membership, will I see ads?
You should not see any ads if your subscription includes ad-free viewing. At launch, you may need to change your preferences to ensure that your ads are turned off. This option will be available from your Account Details on your profile once we’ve transitioned over. We sincerely appreciate our Supporting Members and wish to thank you for your ongoing support of MDC!

I currently have a Business Signature package, will this be affected?
You should have all the same capabilities, and we even have a few new exciting benefits in the works to help stretch your advertising dollar and make advertising with MDC an even better value. We welcome your feedback about how we can better serve you, our valued WAHMs!

Can I still change my username?
The short answer is no. Due to database configurations, user name changes will no longer be available for any purpose unless an extremely critical security issue is demonstrated. So, if you want to change your username, you will need to do this prior to the transition which will occur in November. Afterwards, name changes will only be done for serious personal security issues such as criminal stalking.

What types of things will be different than they are now?
Basically, we are gaining a new format. We’ll still have the basic organizational structure with the same forums and subforums, only the site will soon be organized in a new and different way. Instead of one huge list of forums when you arrive at our current homepage, we will soon have a main “landing” page which will enable you to select where you want to go based on a simple tab set-up. From this landing page, you can choose to view the forums, wikis, product reviews, Mothering.com or your personal profile. You can actually view your Private Messages from the main page and check out the most recent content since your last visit. We’re going to be integrating photographs, video, discussion threads, wikis, product reviews and all kinds of interesting content on the main page. We hope you will find the new configuration intuitive and much simpler with a little practice.

Here are a few small screenshots of our new landing page:

Not all those who wander are lost 
#2 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 03:43 PM

privateeyes.gif

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#3 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 04:02 PM

I want to suggest something for the smilies could you please see if it is possible that they could fix it to where you can click on more than one smile without the window closing or even having a regular window open instead of the pop up one? It takes them a long time to load and it is taking me forever to fix my siggy that way since :code still isnt working for me with the siggy (I know working on that one still) and it really is much better already.

When I hit preview in my siggy it refuses to show me the smiles greensad.gif

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCatLvrMom2A&X View Post

Ummmm that super long paragraph is not something I can read redface.gif Can you go back and add some spaces (not being snarky here I honestly cant read paragraphs like that greensad.gif )

I want to suggest something for the smilies could you please see if it is possible that they could fix it to where you can click on more than one smile without the window closing or even having a regular window open instead of the pop up one? It takes them a long time to load and it is taking me forever to fix my siggy that way since :code still isnt working for me with the siggy (I know working on that one still) and it really is much better already.

Yes, I guess I was fixing it while you were posting. :)  Super huge paragraphs is my internet pet peeve. I also have a lot of eye issues and I can't read them. *L

The smilies are not fully operational yet, those should be up Monday :)

#5 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 04:11 PM

I was too intimidated to ask in that humongous thread, so I'm glad to jump into this when it's still one page. I'm sure these questions have been answered (sorry!) but the other thread was too much to wade through!

1. If I am still logged into the new MDC with my old username, why can't I edit my settings and such without providing my date of birth etc.?

2. In the list of threads I've posted in under My Recent Activity, what do the red numbered boxes mean? At first I thought they meant the total number of posts in the thread, but that's clearly not it. Then I thought perhaps it was showing the number of new posts to the thread, but it's not that, either.

#6 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinemama View Post

I was too intimidated to ask in that humongous thread, so I'm glad to jump into this when it's still one page. I'm sure these questions have been answered (sorry!) but the other thread was too much to wade through!

1. If I am still logged into the new MDC with my old username, why can't I edit my settings and such without providing my date of birth etc.?

2. In the list of threads I've posted in under My Recent Activity, what do the red numbered boxes mean? At first I thought they meant the total number of posts in the thread, but that's clearly not it. Then I thought perhaps it was showing the number of new posts to the thread, but it's not that, either.

It is for COPPA. It doesn't have anything to do with ad networks or anyone doing anything with information, it is for COPPA.

The red boxes are unread posts since your last visit

it is ok, I don't mind answering things more than once. I would really rather people ask and then know than not. :)

#7 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post

Yes, I guess I was fixing it while you were posting. smile.gif  Super huge paragraphs is my internet pet peeve. I also have a lot of eye issues and I can't read them. *L

The smilies are not fully operational yet, those should be up Monday smile.gif

After I refreshed I saw the change.

K on the smilies I will not try to fix my siggy again until that is fixed cause I just wasted an hour putting in smilies in my siggy and they are not showing up greensad.gif Even the ones I had showing up no longer do.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#8 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 04:29 PM

About the birthday thing. Everyone here has in the past had their bday listed that is how I was able to send out the bday pm's so I dont see how having it in this new format is a problem?? After all thousands of people share your bday and they cant use it to chase you down. I do however understand the zip code thing but the 00000 thing works around that nicely.
KempsMama likes this.

#9 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

It is for COPPA. It doesn't have anything to do with ad networks or anyone doing anything with information, it is for COPPA. That information will NOT be shared.

it is ok, I don't mind answering things more than once. I would really rather people ask and then know than not. :)

I don't understand how they can be unread posts since my last visit. For example, in this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1277618/zero-stranger-anxiety-is-this-normal#post_16025369

I was the 10th person to comment. There are 20 comments total. Yet the red box under the title of that thread in "My Recent Activity" has the number 20. When I last visited the thread there were 15 responses. If the red box was indicating the number of posts since I last visited the thread, it would be 5. But it isn't that, it's 20. If it was showing the number of unread posts since I commented, the number would be 10, but it isn't.

Same in this thread (http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1277279/help-obssessed-with-cars#post_16021174) which has a total of 8 responses. I was #4. But the red number says 8 unread posts. How can that be? Am I massively missing something?

(Glad to hear you don't mind answering this stuff more than once!)

#10 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It is for COPPA. It doesn't have anything to do with ad networks or anyone doing anything with information, it is for COPPA. That information will NOT be shared.

I don't understand how they can be unread posts since my last visit. For example, in this thread:

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1277618/zero-stranger-anxiety-is-this-normal#post_16025369

I was the 10th person to comment. There are 20 comments total. Yet the red box under the title of that thread in "My Recent Activity" has the number 20. When I last visited the thread there were 15 responses. If the red box was indicating the number of posts since I last visited the thread, it would be 5. But it isn't that, it's 20. If it was showing the number of unread posts since I commented, the number would be 10, but it isn't.

Same in this thread (http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1277279/help-obssessed-with-cars#post_16021174) which has a total of 8 responses. I was #4. But the red number says 8 unread posts. How can that be? Am I massively missing something?

(Glad to hear you don't mind answering this stuff more than once!)

Well shoot.

The new posts thing was working for me, I will double check on that.

What OS Browser are you using just in case?

#11 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 05:30 PM

I'm using a Mac and Firefox
#12 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:

About the birthday thing. Everyone here has in the past had their bday listed that is how I was able to send out the bday pm's so I dont see how having it in this new format is a problem?? After all thousands of people share your bday and they cant use it to chase you down. I do however understand the zip code thing but the 00000 thing works around that nicely.

Nope, mine did not have a bday listed until now.  I guess I registered before that was required.

Mommy to  N baby.gif, born 2/20/12.

#13 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 05:51 PM

I posted in the other thread, but I don't think it was addressed completely?

Anyway, I'm having trouble starting new paragraphs at random times.  Like just now I posted in the Parenting forum, and had to write one long paragraph, b/c I couldn't start a new paragraph.  I can't in Single Parenting either, and I don't know where else since thats usually where I go.

It's working here, so its not my computer.

I'm using a Mac, and Firefox.  I know my mac is up to date, but I have no clue about firefox. 

Thanks!

ETA - it just worked on the single parenting board, but I'm having trouble still in other places - is it just happening randomly and the kinks need to be fully worked out??

#14 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyamo View Post

Nope, mine did not have a bday listed until now.  I guess I registered before that was required.

I think I understand now on the old format it was optional to have your bday listed. That is why I dont have you saved in my bday lists smile.gif I know you could choose to have your bday listed public or keep it private as well. Since some preferred not having a bday pm they clicked that option and it was hidden on the calendar.

I understand the need for the bday question to keep young kids from joining though honestly they can always just put in a fake bday and get a membership but I suppose having that option prevents mothering from being liable but that is just a guess on my part redface.gif

#15 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 06:50 PM

Issue with the album. I just deleted 9 photo's from my default album and instead of now showing 1 photo in the default album it is showing 9 and the album cover is a deleted photo. My avatar pic is the only one left in the album.

Oh and while I am thinking of it where did the pop up window go for a new PM it was working yesterday but has disappeared today. I could swear I clicked an arrow in a box saying show the popup for PM's the other day but now I dont see that option anywhere headscratch.gif

The Edit Post is acting a bit odd as well sometimes works like a charm then another time just makes the page scroll around with no edit text box coming up.

OS FireFox with windows XP

Oh and I mentioned this over in the other thread but never got a response and again in the PM issue thread over here in Q&S. In the PM folder every single PM I have ever sent, gotten or thrown away has reappeared and though I am trying to erase them all it is going to take the rest of my life I think since I have sent and received thousands (or close to it) lol.gif did everyone else get all their PM's back or am I just one of the lucky ones orngtongue.gif

#16 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Admin & Mods ---

I just wanted to let y'all know I fixed my DOB (month & day) issue by upgrading my version of Firefox. My DH was appalled when I explained the problem and he found out the version I was running. :lol

I'm now running Firefox 3.6 and I was able to update my email address and include the required info without issue.

(I have no idea why Safari wasn't working, but I'm good now.)

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#17 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:01 PM

I am still seeing unsub threads in the sub only thread list on My Profile page even though I have clicked the sub threads only option in the upper right corner. They are no longer on my edit thread list though.

#18 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 PM

COPPA:  refers to  Children's Online Privacy Protection Act  (I wasn't sure myself, so googled it) 

So our dob is required to sign up for an account.....  but we should be able to select privacy options for that.  I do seem to remember that I could pick if it was visible, or just if I wanted the month and date but not the year.  Perhaps eventually there can be a little ??/click here spot to add a little more info on why MDC is collecting the information and how it is used/stored- who has access to it. 

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#19 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:

I
Oh and I mentioned this over in the other thread but never got a response and again in the PM issue thread over here in Q&S. In the PM folder every single PM I have ever sent, gotten or thrown away has reappeared and though I am trying to erase them all it is going to take the rest of my life I think since I have sent and received thousands (or close to it) lol.gif did everyone else get all their PM's back or am I just the lucky ones orngtongue.gif

I hadn't noticed this before, but YES!  I have PMs back to 2003.  Well, that was a nice little walk down memory lane :lol.

#20 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 
COPPA: refers to Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (I wasn't sure myself, so googled it)

So our dob is required to sign up for an account..... but we should be able to select privacy options for that. I do seem to remember that I could pick if it was visible, or just if I wanted the month and date but not the year. Perhaps eventually there can be a little ??/click here spot to add a little more info on why MDC is collecting the information and how it is used/stored- who has access to it.

Jessica
yeahthat.gif that is what I remember as well you could put in what you wanted displayed if anything when you input the dob option because of the COPPA rules.

#21 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:11 PM

Yes, I have emails back to 2006 as well, but I joined sometime in 2004, so I'm not sure if it is all my emails or just random ones (or the last 200 or something)

I'd reach my limits and upload and delete them.  Too funny they came back. 

Do we need to worry about email limits still?

Jessica

Jessica..lady.gifintactlact.gif Falling in love all over again..... 
Dhprivateeyes.gif, Joshua rolleyes.gif Rebeccagrouphug.gifand dog2.gif.    candle.gif for Laura
#22 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Did you mean PM limit? If so no we no longer have a limit.

After editing my post I noticed there is a no edit by at what time on this one but another I dont there is one.

Also why do we have to go to another page to do the edit instead of having the edit on the same page like before? For someone who has a slow computer like me switching pages really sucks.

I want to thank everyone working to get things running smoothly I know it cannot be easy and you probably are feeling dizzy.gif and banghead.gif right now but you are doing a great job thumb.gif

#23 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post

Quote:

I
Oh and I mentioned this over in the other thread but never got a response and again in the PM issue thread over here in Q&S. In the PM folder every single PM I have ever sent, gotten or thrown away has reappeared and though I am trying to erase them all it is going to take the rest of my life I think since I have sent and received thousands (or close to it) lol.gif did everyone else get all their PM's back or am I just the lucky ones orngtongue.gif

I hadn't noticed this before, but YES!  I have PMs back to 2003.  Well, that was a nice little walk down memory lane :lol.

Oh no way!!!

I am going to have to check that :lol

#24 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:46 PM

So, I went and checked my PMs and I have all of mine back, too.  First off. that is kinda worrisome.  That something I deleted long ago has been saved in the system.

So, I went and deleted all my "InBox" stuff, and also deleted all my "SentBox" stuff.  That leaves it all in the trash.  But, when I get to the Trash, there is no delete option.  I can select all, but I can not do anything with my selections.  Everything just stays right there.  That can not be right.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#25 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Did you mean PM limit? If so no we no longer have a limit.

After editing my post I noticed there is a no edit by at what time on this one but another I dont there is one.

Also why do we have to go to another page to do the edit instead of having the edit on the same page like before? For someone who has a slow computer like me switching pages really sucks.

I want to thank everyone working to get things running smoothly I know it cannot be easy and you probably are feeling dizzy.gif and banghead.gif right now but you are doing a great job thumb.gif

There isn't an edit stamp on posts.

Yes, pm limits are gone.

I am sorry that is inconvienant for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super~Single~Mama View Post

I posted in the other thread, but I don't think it was addressed completely?

Anyway, I'm having trouble starting new paragraphs at random times.  Like just now I posted in the Parenting forum, and had to write one long paragraph, b/c I couldn't start a new paragraph.  I can't in Single Parenting either, and I don't know where else since thats usually where I go.

It's working here, so its not my computer.

I'm using a Mac, and Firefox.  I know my mac is up to date, but I have no clue about firefox. 

Thanks!

ETA - it just worked on the single parenting board, but I'm having trouble still in other places - is it just happening randomly and the kinks need to be fully worked out??

I did have that on a list and when we have an answer Georgia will have it in one of her big thread updates. :)

#26 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

So, I went and checked my PMs and I have all of mine back, too.  First off. that is kinda worrisome.  That something I deleted long ago has been saved in the system.

So, I went and deleted all my "InBox" stuff, and also deleted all my "SentBox" stuff.  That leaves it all in the trash.  But, when I get to the Trash, there is no delete option.  I can select all, but I can not do anything with my selections.  Everything just stays right there.  That can not be right.

That would have been just sitting on the server. I will check about deleting pms.

#27 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:

There isn't an edit stamp on posts.

Yes, pm limits are gone.

I am sorry that is inconvienant for you.

I did have that on a list and when we have an answer Georgia will have it in one of her big thread updates. smile.gif

Eh I will deal.

On a side note I was just able to see the first ever PM I sent here at MDC from March 18, 2005 lol.gif been here since Nov. 04.

I estimate it will take me approx. the next 4 hours to delete them all if I really apply myself orngtongue.gif

They obviously took "bring everything over" verrrrry seriously ROTFLMAO.gif

#28 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 PM

Hello.

I can't seem to figure out how to find my list of contacts/friends. Any advice?

photosmile2.gifcavale treehugger.gif*wannabe radical doula*
*plotting with sammodifiedartist.gif until we have our own little ones*
planning to TTC in May '11 (just in time for my birthday!)
#29 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessjgh1 View Post

COPPA:  refers to  Children's Online Privacy Protection Act  (I wasn't sure myself, so googled it) 

So our dob is required to sign up for an account.....  but we should be able to select privacy options for that.  I do seem to remember that I could pick if it was visible, or just if I wanted the month and date but not the year.  Perhaps eventually there can be a little ??/click here spot to add a little more info on why MDC is collecting the information and how it is used/stored- who has access to it. 

Jessica

There may not be birthday privacy options atm because we don't have any sort of birthday thing right now that would display your birthday. If we do get something we will be sure to ask for a default private so people are not caught unaware.

#30 of 137 Old 11-13-2010, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post

Just wanted to mention that if you have a lot of stuff in your inbox and sent box then you will need to hit the next button to get them all because it shows "no messages" when in fact there might be many many more lol.gif

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page