Development: Question/suggestion about spell check. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Um, a little think I noticed. It seems to be only capable of using American English. Is there anyway to change that? It is kind of annoying to be told I've spelled "colour" or "labour" wrong.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#2 of 12 Old 11-15-2010, 08:19 PM

You can use the firefox spellcheck by hitting command or control and then right clicking. I do not believe they have a Candian/British version of spell check available at this time.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#3 of 12 Old 11-16-2010, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaS View Post

You can use the firefox spellcheck by hitting command or control and then right clicking. I do not believe they have a Candian/British version of spell check available at this time.

Thanks. And for anyone who is interested, this works for Chrome too.

malesling.GIFMutant Papa to DD (12)hippie.gif and DS (2)babyf.gif, married to DHribbonrainbow.gif
If it looks like I'm trying to pick a fight... I'm not, I'm rarely that obvious.hammer.gif
#4 of 12 Old 11-16-2010, 08:17 PM

Something associated with this... is there any way to spell check individual words?  I used to be able to right click to see the correct spelling but now I have to run the entire spell checker, which can be pretty annoying if you are quoting other people. 

#5 of 12 Old 11-17-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by physmom View Post

Something associated with this... is there any way to spell check individual words?  I used to be able to right click to see the correct spelling but now I have to run the entire spell checker, which can be pretty annoying if you are quoting other people. 

If you mean the FireFox spellcheck you can use that by clicking "command" or "control" and right clicking.

Is that what you mean?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#6 of 12 Old 11-22-2010, 06:15 AM

I used Firefox and now with the new forum it doesn't even underline mispellings. Is there something else I need to do to get it to work.

Ex- fheherre   (nothing!)

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#7 of 12 Old 11-22-2010, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have not really griped about much with the changes but I am going to chime in on this issue and say that this spell check thing is absurd. I recently started using a laptop more than my desktop and so without a mouse, in order to spell check a single word, I have to have two fingers on my track-pad, one finger on command and click my button. My hands and small and this is a bit of finger acrobatics just to spell check a word. I would think that there would be a way to disable, even as an individual preference, since I am sure that some people like it, the build in spell check....

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#8 of 12 Old 11-22-2010, 10:16 AM

Evergreen, have you tried this:

Quote:
Why can't I right click and use Firefox's spell checker?
Because we use a fully WYSIWYG (What you See is What You Get) editor, the right click is needed to be able to pull up image and table properties, cut and paste, etc.  However, fear not.  There is a work-around to be able to keep using it.

If you hold ctrl (PC) or Command (Mac) when you right click in Firefox, it will treat the right click as though it's outside of the text editor.

This is an extra step for folks, but the idea was to provide the power of the context sensitive menus in the editor (to align images, add borders, color table cells, etc.) but also enable you to take advantage of Firefox's spell check.

Mackenzie, I apologize for the annoyance that this has created for you. I only work on a laptop, so I understand about finger acrobatics. Have you tried using the BB Code editor with any success?

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#9 of 12 Old 11-22-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

Evergreen, have you tried this:

Quote:
Why can't I right click and use Firefox's spell checker?
Because we use a fully WYSIWYG (What you See is What You Get) editor, the right click is needed to be able to pull up image and table properties, cut and paste, etc.  However, fear not.  There is a work-around to be able to keep using it.

If you hold ctrl (PC) or Command (Mac) when you right click in Firefox, it will treat the right click as though it's outside of the text editor.

This is an extra step for folks, but the idea was to provide the power of the context sensitive menus in the editor (to align images, add borders, color table cells, etc.) but also enable you to take advantage of Firefox's spell check.

Mackenzie, I apologize for the annoyance that this has created for you. I only work on a laptop, so I understand about finger acrobatics. have you tried using the BB Code editor with any success?

I would try that but as I have no header, I can't get to My Profile... =)

ETA, I found a link to that at the bottom of page....

This is a tree on fire with love, but it's still scary since most people think love only looks like one thing instead of the whole world. *
#10 of 12 Old 11-23-2010, 08:29 AM

I'm frustrated by this as well. I use Safari and there doesn't seem to be a way to use my own spell check. Yours takes much longer. 

It's easier to leave the misspellings.

#11 of 12 Old 11-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masel View Post

I'm frustrated by this as well. I use Safari and there doesn't seem to be a way to use my own spell check. Yours takes much longer. 

It's easier to leave the misspellings.

You can do the same thing that I do; cmd+secondary click

#12 of 12 Old 11-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I'll place Spellcheck on our list of developments and we'll do our best to get this feature improved as soon as possible. smile.gif

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page