Development: Next new thread? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-20-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I waded through as much as I could here (40 min) and I didn't see my issue.

It is taking me forever to read here at MDC these days. I click on a thread, find where I left off, read, then go back out to the subforum and find the next topic/thread to read. Repeat.

I've looked for a "next new thread" link, but haven't found one. Has it been renamed? Is it gone forever?

I am running the latest version of OS X and the latest version of Firefox (updated this past week). Thanks!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#2 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 02:12 PM

Did you mean new posts? Or are you looking for new threads? You can try out the Activity Feed option as explained here:

http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/discussion-forum-tutorial
Quote:
Filter To View Content From One (Or Many) Parts Of The Site
At the top of the activity feed, you'll see buttons for Products (which will show you new reviews and gear added to the site), Forums (which will show you new threads and posts), Wikis (which will show you new Wikis and edits), and Profiles (which will show you user profile updates like sig file updates and avatar updates).

To view content from part of the site, click the button. To remove that content from the feed, click it again! When the content is "on" in the feed, the indicator light will be green next to the button name. When it's "off" it will be gray.

Refresh The Feed
At times, you'll see a small refresh button appear at the top of the feed. This indicates that new content has been created since you opened the activity feed. Click here to refresh.

Also, you can check the forum icons to see if there's new content500

But we don't specifically have a strictly New Threads feature.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#3 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Let's see if I can explain it another way...

In the past, when I was reading through any forum (doesn't matter which one, but within a specific forum -- not all the new threads/posts in the whole MDC boards), I could read an entire thread and at the bottom of it, I could click on "next thread" (the wording may have been slightly different). Then, I would be inside the next thread up in the list without having to go back out to the subforum. It saves a lot of time when there are only a handful of subforums one reads here.

Here's an example:

Let's say I only have 10-15 minutes. I decide frugality and finances is of most interest to me at that time. I go to frugality and finances and click on the thread at the bottom of the first page (or whatever I read last), I read all the posts within that thread. At the bottom of that thread, I used to click on "next thread" and I'd be inside the thread that was next up from the one I started on. I'd read it and click on "next thread"....and keep going until I reached my time limit. I never had to go back into "frugality and finances" to see all the topics/threads. I saved time by just moving up the list.

Did that "next thread" option disappear with the new host?

Thanks!

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#4 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 09:52 PM

Oh, okay!!! Now I understand what you are asking. You are talking about at the bottom of the thread (image from our old board):

To answer your question, no, we don't currently have a new thread feature. If it's something that a lot of members request, we can certainly look at trying to get it developed down the road.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#5 of 6 Old 11-22-2010, 09:56 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia View Post

Oh, okay!!! Now I understand what you are asking. You are talking about at the bottom of the thread (image from our old board):

To answer your question, no, we don't currently have a new thread feature. If it's something that a lot of members request, we can certainly look at trying to get it developed down the road.

oh please look into it...

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#6 of 6 Old 11-23-2010, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Placed on our development list. thumb.gif

Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page