Hi! This thread will serve to keep the community up-to-date with news and software information that we hope you will find useful.
From the software team:
The software's final product release of 2010 is scheduled to begin on Monday, December 20. Because of the features affected, this will be a two-stage release; Stage 1 starts around 10 a.m. Pacific. Stage 2 rolls out on Wednesday, December 22 between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. and will include some downtime for your site.
Many of you have asked us to add more control over who's permitted to edit a wiki; with this release, a wiki author may now decide whether s/he wants anyone else to be able to contribute. In the final step, a wiki's creator can restrict editing privileges to themselves, specific members, or they can leave the wiki open to the entire community for changes.
- editing text below a quote box works as expected
- suggested/required tags at new thread creation no longer return errors
- mods and admins now exempt from having their posts held in moderation in designated forums
- "A" character no longer being inserted in reviews authored in Basic Editor
- All New Posts expanded from 10 to 40 pages of content
- pagination tools now appear on All New Posts page, allowing users to jump to any page with the scroll bar
- product name added to "Review" search results tab
The next software upgrade is scheduled to deploy on Thursday, January 13th around 1 pm EST/10 a.m. Pacific.
Hi! Please post here to share your thoughts about what features you'd most like to see in 2011 at MDC.
The software team has asked us to prioritize what software features we'd most like to see in the coming year. We would like to ask you to help us prioritize an MDC's top ten most requested and pressing feature list. So, please let us know what community features you'd most like to see. We don't want to make any assumptions about what it is you'd like to see or ask for features that might not be what the community really wants. So, please take a moment to weigh in with your thoughts on what features will enhance your MDC experience!
Thanks for your input!
Hi, we are scheduled for more software updates this coming Monday, January 31st around 1 pm EST/10 am PST.
With this release, we will now be able to leave comments for the following types of content:
- wiki articles
- image albums
- album photos
- member lists
- product reviews
The feature was developed to promote personal conversation so email notifications are sent after someone comments on their content. There are new account settings to control these comment notification emails. Members who don't want to be notified when comments are posted should click the "Edit Account Details" button that appears on the right side of their profile page; on the next page that appears, scroll down to the "Email Preferences" section. To receive alerts, members must leave the boxes checked for "Notify me when people comment on my content" and/or "Notify me when people comment after me."
Comments themselves will use either the default RichText (WYSIWYG editor) or the more basic BBCode editor depending on the user's preference. Bold, Italic and Linking are available in Comments. Comments are for feedback on content. These are reportable so please flag inappropriate content so a moderator or administrator can handle. Please also note that misuse of any of MDC's features is covered under the User Agreement: Do not use any of MDC's features and resources to harass, attack or contact a member in an inappropriate manner. Do not use a Private Message (PM) or email to deliver advertisements or business/product information and offers to our members without first having been asked for such information by them. This would be regarded as spam and may result in administrative action being taken against your account. If you receive a private message that is objectionable, please forward the private message to an administrator. Staff cannot access private messages, and we rely on members to report any PM issues.
We've launched a mobile app for MDC browsing: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1295928/tapatalk-mdc-s-mobile-browsing-test-launch
Hi, the next upgrade is expected Monday, best time estimate is around 10 am Pacific/1 pm EST. These notes describe features and bug fixes we're planning to deploy on Monday, February 14th.
- "Ignore this user" upgraded to "Block"
Bug fixes and small tweaks:
- Fixed: "unknown object" error when changing avatar
- Line breaks now visible in comments box after posting
- Sub-subforums now visible in TapaTalk interface
"Ignore this user" upgraded to "Block"
The "ignore this user" feature is becoming "Block" and will let members block each other completely.
If you're in a thread where someone you've blocked is active, you won't see their posts and they won't see yours. Additionally, they won't be able to become your Follower or send you a PM. For obvious reasons, these new functions are reciprocal, and moderators may not be blocked.
Bug fixes and small tweaks:
- "Unknown object" error when changing avatar: resolved
- Line breaks now visible in comments box after posting
- Sub-subforums should now visible in TapaTalk interface
Please submit a new question in the forum if you have any particular questions or concerns. Thanks!
The Co-op Forum is back and better than ever!
The co-op forum's new guidelines and requirements can be found here.
To become an official MDC co-op organizer, please submit an application found here.
All co-op interest threads and co-op discussion will now be hosted in our Co-op Chat forum. We're very excited to get co-ops back up and running! Thanks so much for your patience and support.
Upgrade expected 2/28 around 10 am Pacific or thereabouts!
Filter and Sort Forum content
- last post timestamp (status quo)
- # replies
- # views
- New Posts: Threads with recent posts (status quo)
- Activity Feed: Recent forum activity in an activity-feed format
- New Threads: Created in the last week, with newest first
- Unanswered: Threads that have not yet received a reply
- I've posted: Threads where you have posted previously
- Article Types
- Spoiler "hints" and BBCode support
- Pagination restored to default albums
- First round of IE9 and FF4 compliance fixes (more to follow):
A spoiler example!
Here's the latest improvement to our platform software:
Private Messages: Folders and Search
You can now search your Inbox and create folders where you can file messages. This upgrade permits users to move PMs between folders, including from the Trash to the Inbox.
Apart from the new functionality, PMs work as before; messages are still threaded, quotas remain in place, and all but the most recent 20 items are deleted from the Trash folder each night.
The latest new features and fixes:
Compact Thread List Page
- This setting defaults to off. You may enable it in your profile.
- The on-hover previews are all still there in both views
- We tightened up the mini-pagination bars in BOTH views (they were larger than they needed to be)
- Clicking the timestamp in the last post column will take you to the last post.
- The logged-out thread list page will always use the older, less compact layout because it contains more rich text info.
- The image chooser in the admin panel now lets you input an image URL instead of forcing you to upload a file (featured content tool was the main pain point on that).
- The back button will behave more reliably in Buy Sell Trade forums as you paginate and navigate.
- Classifieds featured in signatures will now show the correct currency symbol
- In some cases users who modified their posts-per-page setting could not switch back to the site default value. That's fixed.
- Other minor fixes, nips, tucks and performance improvements.
There is a software update scheduled for tomorrow. After the release, some elements need to be re-imported; as a result there will be a period of time in which members' signatures will seem to disappear. This is expected to last no more than 2-3 hours, during which all signatures will be gradually restored.Signatures will be restored in a gradual roll out, so some users will get them back before others. So, yours might come back after your friend's, but it will be back shortly!If you find that your signature is not appearing after a few hours have passed, try logging out and logging back in to see if that refreshes the view. If the problem persists, please contact [email protected], or PM me AdinaL, so that we can track it down.
Adina mama to B 4/06 and E 8/13/12 (on her due date!)
With our latest update of our platform this week here are the changes you can expect:
- Chrome showed an 18% reduction in memory usage.
- Firefox showed a 15% increase performance. Memory usage was not significantly different.
- IE9 was very similar to Firefox - pages also load about 15% faster.
- IE8 showed improvements in both memory usage and performance, with a 25% reduction in memory usage and 35% increase in performance. IE8's load times are a full second faster now (from 2700ms to 1750ms)!
Other Minor Functionality Improvements
CK Editor Upgraded
We upgraded the version of CKEditor we use to version 3.6.3. which should fix a number of bugs.
Hide Empty Personal Albums
We no longer display empty personal albums on galleries portal page and category pages. This should help clean up the appearance of album lists in galleries.
Here's the list of bugs fixed with this release:
- Fix bug that was preventing some users from posting
- 8813 - Correctly handle auto-link URLs with parenthesis, such as http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friday_(film)
- 9149 - Display appropriate error message when users leave trader feedback without a URL
- 9154 - Trader feedback number is now displayed again on trader feedback page
- 9094 - Display "just now" for the timestamp of a post you just submitted, instead of the awkward "0 ago" we displayed before
Thanks so much for your patience with the squeaks and bumps you encounter from time to time. We hope these improvements and fixes will improve your experience on the forum. There's plenty more to come!