Forum for caring for elderly parents? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Will there ever be a forum for caring for elderly parents or relatives?  MDC is about natural family living, and families include everyone, from babies to grandmas and grandpas.  At least I think so!  :)  I am 43, and moving into a stage of life where my parents and older relatives are going through a time in their lives where they need more help from us younger family members.  I would love a forum to talk with others going through the same thing.

#2 of 7 Old 12-31-2010, 03:05 PM

Hi, we're not currently adding new forums. I definitely know the importance of finding others for support! What I recommend is to consider starting a support-only tribe to find others who are going through similar circumstances. You might consider checking this ongoing thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1287245/anyone-else-live-in-a-multigenerational-household

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#3 of 7 Old 09-17-2012, 06:04 AM

I am seeking them same help

#4 of 7 Old 09-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)

A social Group would be possible if there is interest. :) 

#5 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am a fulltime caregiver for my disabled mother (stroke in '99) my sister and i share her care. I dont feel a pressing need for "support" in this area but I'd probably post if one is created and someone lets me know it exists ( i mostly hang out on the adoption forum.)

Katherine, single homeschooling mom to Boy Genius (17) geek.gif  Thing One (6) and Thing Two (6) fencing.gif and one outgoing Girl (12) bikenew.gif and hoping for more through foster care and adoption homebirth.jpgadoptionheart-1.gif 
#6 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 05:06 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I understand the reluctance to add new sub-forums, and I'm used to the alternatives of tribes and social groups being mentioned when someone suggests a new sub-forum. But for this idea, I urge you to make an exception.

Elderly parents are as much a part of a family as everyone else who has a sub-forum. There are sub-forums for single-parent families, couples, LGBT, multicultural families, and families with children who are adopted, special needs, etc. Shouldn't a multi-generational situation get equal footing in the sub-forum sphere?

We of the sandwich generation are facing multiple challenges as our parents age and we struggle between the roles of caring for children and parents. Pensions are gone, and retirement isn't what it used to be. How do we define ourselves, our roles, and our responsibilities within the context of natural family living? Kudos to the OP for this excellent idea!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#7 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 07:37 PM

I agree, that would be so useful. There are so many social/emotional/financial/logistical issues associated with this and I can imagine a host of topics that people would benefit from discussing. It can be hard to know where to begin.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page